Forums > Red vs. Blue

Red Vs Blue - The Movie, a concept

Posts (29)

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13948822 - 9 years ago

Okay, so with the latest episode, roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=1344, and seeing the motion capture and just the hilariousness of it all, I was wondering if anyone had come up with the idea of talking about an RvB movie. So, being the resourceful individual I think I am, I came to the forums. I found a series of five topics I believe, none in relation, where it had been mentioned. I couldn't hide my disbelief. I figured that someone along the line would have had an opinion and made a topic, but no, none.

Even a year ago this wouldn't have been applicable as they weren't really using motion capture like they're using with Monty, which limited them greatly. Nowadays, with their abilities to edit in new graphics as well as use said previously mentioned motion capture. They make epic episodes that get shown to the huge number of registered members and the most likely numerous non-members that come to see them.

I made this thread so the possibility of a Red Vs Blue movie can actually be discussed. Seeing as how a Halo live-action movie has been in discussion for years, with no real headway into production, why not make something better? I'll address whatever concerns I can think of right now down below. Add whatever you guys would think would help and figure out how to make this a possible reality.

Cost I can't really see an RvB movie costing as much as a full length cgi movie would now. Personally, I could see it going along the lines of a Toy Stroy 1 to Toy Story 2 budge. Toy Story 1 having a budget of $30 million and Toy Story 2 having a budget of $90 million. Add in having to not render a good deal of environments or models due to using the Xbox's and you have a huge cost decrease. With all the rights they'd have to get from Bungie, who may or may not still own part of the Halo name, not sure, Microsoft, the new studio Microsoft opened and all the small companies that may have helped it will be pretty costly, but I think some of them will be okay with a fair price for the rights to use the game and such. That will be the big issue. Personally, I think it could get done with just the $30 million Toy Story 1 had with the budget being made up of donations from the members.

Actors Well, does it matter? When it comes to actors, they have all the voice actors already, so they can stick with them. For the movements of the characters, you can use a trained person in a motion capture suit and then use the footage. So that's maybe 30 people at the biggest scene, the epic final battle of BloodGultch Outpost.

Technical Aspects Then what about all the previously mentioned rendering and work that get's done on the computers for each episode? The latest took at least two weeks. Well, that's why they would need a good sized crew. Since RoosterTeeth is in all truth of it, about nine guys who work on the actual episodes on a consistent basis, I want to say they need at least an additional 10 guys and it would be a bit overkill, but a group of 27 would be able to slam it out. If they made a 7min episode in about two weeks time of that quality, think of what they would have if they had an entire team working for them. Then again, having to factor in cost, most likely a team of an additional guy to work alongside each RoosterTeeth employee would be best.

Story Well, they already have a story as well. If RoosterTeeth is the group making the movie, which hopefully is what would happen, then there would be no concern for huge inconsistencies in between the series and movie. I think if they were done as a series of films it would be the most successful.

Success The most crucial aspect, what would be the success rate of the movie? I can see just about every RvB-nut out there buying this movie or going out to see it if it were made into a theatrical release and not torrenting it out of respect for the RoosterTeeth crew. Then you have to add in the Halo junkies who are most likely in the tens of millions, the parents of some of them who are to young to go to the movies alone and just the general populace who this movie may entertain.

I think it'd be an interesting idea and I'm willing to put down a hundred dollars when I have it to make it go through. How about you guys? Just post any ideas you have concerning an RvB movie, things to discuss, plots, effects, whatever below.

• Hunter

Hunter Achievement

#13949547 - 9 years ago

Forget it. The guys are waaaay too lazy to work on a project as big as that. Besides, what would they do with $30 million? Buy 4 lifetimes worth of beers?

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13949879 - 9 years ago

Hm, well, that they could do. Look, to everyone who reads this post, I don't really mind if we joke around a bit, but let's try to stay on topic. I'm not trying to act like flamebait or anything, but think of what can come if this movie makes a lot of money for them. They can fund more of their own stuff and make even bigger better productions.

Also, TheSlayerMH, when they need to buckle down, they can. Like they did with chapter 10. They can do it and if they had a group, maybe they would need the full 27 or so since getting out ch10 was an around the clock deal. Plus, I don't think any of them can drink four lifetimes worth.

• RobbyMac217

RobbyMac217

#13950013 - 9 years ago

Be pretty pointless if you ask me. If you watched any season on DVD, they pretty much are movies. The only difference with yours is just that it won't be a machinima anymore.

• ButtMerls

ButtMerls

#13950015 - 9 years ago

How about Red vs Blue on broadway?

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13950133 - 9 years ago

In reply to RobbyMac217, #4:

Be pretty pointless if you ask me. If you watched any season on DVD, they pretty much are movies. The only difference with yours is just that it won't be a machinima anymore.

True, it is like watching a movie if it's on dvd. The thing is though, with the limited movement range it pales in comparison to the newer stuff where they have motion capture. It can still be labeled machinima as it would still use the same setup they already have for recording and for scenes that don't require much movement. If you want to get technical it would be a fusion of 3d animation and machinima animation.

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13950149 - 9 years ago

In reply to ButtMerls, #5:

How about Red vs Blue on broadway?

Interesting idea, but this is about a Red Vs Blue movie.
    Someone already posted a topic with that listed in his first message. Also, it would most likely end up a musical and do you really want to hear Gus or Geoff, hell anyone that sounds like them, sing? Imagine the voices cracking.

• ButtMerls

ButtMerls

#13950372 - 9 years ago

you wouldnt pay for this?

roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=80

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13950720 - 9 years ago

Not particularly. It was also him doing it jokingly deep, you know?

• xkiesix

xkiesix

#13950842 - 9 years ago

They should definitely do this. I would buy it. (I was actually talking to my boyfriend about this 10 minutes ago and then I found this thread.) I think it should be about Church and Tex's relationship before the war. Like the REAL Church. The Director said the AI was based on him, and Church has memories of dating a girl named Allison. He also mentions that a person he loved had died, leading me to believe it was the real-life Allison. I think it should be about that. Also, maybe show us the face-behind-the mask. Like, is Tucker black or not? I would really like to see that.

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13951054 - 9 years ago

That would be awesome, but at the same time wouldn't be the most likely. I think that they wouldn't do that solely because it would lead away from the characters they have. Hm, well, this thread is open to new ideas, so I say continue with the ideas. Also, the only other problem would be is that the complexity of making and using actual 3d models for the characters would be a bit much for them, as a Digital Media and Animation major I can assure you that it's mind boggling frustrating. Plus, then they would have to have a definitive character design and I think they like screwing with our heads on whether or not Tucker is black and other things.

• DemonDisaster

DemonDisaster

#13951362 - 9 years ago

In reply to TheSlayerMH, #2:

Forget it. The guys are waaaay too lazy to work on a project as big as that. Besides, what would they do with $30 million? Buy 4 lifetimes worth of beers?

Spend that $30 million on the site, show, and probably their pay checks.

• Fhajad

Fhajad Forum Games Moderator

#13951605 - 9 years ago

In reply to Revelati0n, #1:

You do realize if you watch a season on a DVD, it IS a movie, right?

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13951907 - 9 years ago

In reply to Fhajad, #13:

As someone already posted in a comment
    In reply to RobbyMac217, #4:

Yes, I get that. With the motion capture and the new graphics that are offered up from new games, it would be an interesting idea to see happen. Yes, I know there is no BloodGultch in newer map packs. Doesn't mean the new Microsoft halo studio can't make one.

• Hunter

Hunter Achievement

#13951909 - 9 years ago

In reply to Fhajad, #13:

I had already thought about that point, but I decided to make a lame joke instead.

• Marduk

Marduk FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#13951950 - 9 years ago

With the recent series, they have been scripted more like a movie. When I saw the first 4 episodes of Revelation at Pax East, they weren't cut up. It also didn't look like it was 4 episodes added together, but rather one 20 minute video.

Also, it didn't take Monty two weeks to do that fight. It seems like it took him at least a month or so to do it. It could have been even longer. Keep in mind that Monty started working at Rooster Teeth 6 months prior to the new season.

Post edited 6/23/10 10:24AM

• Nocturos

Nocturos

#13951972 - 9 years ago

Yes. That is precisely what you do with 30 million dollars.

• inweb

inweb

#13951973 - 9 years ago

Red vs Blue is, more or less, a movie when watched together, though that would be pretty kick-ass.

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13952054 - 9 years ago

Yes, so let's discuss making it into a movie, not by watching all the episodes simultaneously in order which a lot of people keep on repeating.
    In reply to Marduk, #16:

Yes, that's why they would need a budget and more people with motion capture suits on.

• RobbyMac217

RobbyMac217

#13952059 - 9 years ago

In reply to Revelati0n, #19:

Like I said. There would be no difference, except that it wouldn't be a machinima. It would just be a complete waist of time and money.

Post edited 6/23/10 11:00AM

• Hunter

Hunter Achievement

#13952109 - 9 years ago

In reply to RobbyMac217, #20:

You're calling beer a waste of money?

• Marduk

Marduk FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#13952177 - 9 years ago

The series has a running plot, so what would it be about? Would it be a retelling? a continuation of the series? an alternate universe storyline? Well a two hour retelling of the first season might as well be the first season. Continuing the series is movie form seems pointless since they can just continue what they are doing already (Machinima with CG), instead of changing horses mid race. An alternate universe storyline COULD be good, but it's a long shot, and again seems pointless.

Rooster Teeth is in a good place right now, they've made great progress over time. You gotta give the RT guys a few years before they even consider something like that, lest they fly too close to the sun.

Post edited 6/23/10 11:24AM

• Hunter

Hunter Achievement

#13952231 - 9 years ago

As a matter of fact, (according to Wikipedia anyway, so I'm not entirely sure this information is credible,) the guys are in pre-production of a live-action comedy movie thing, similar to the RT Shorts, but it will be anything but short. THAT is what we should be hoping for, and just keep RvB the way it is.

• Marduk

#13952264 - 9 years ago

In reply to TheSlayerMH, #23:

Was it a live action RT shorts movie, or RvB movie? I get the feeling it's referring to Immersion, and it just wasn't updated. (I'll look for it)

--Edit--
    Saw the citation video. In an interview, at PAX09, Geoff said "...but we would like to make a feature length film some time in the spring, after we wrap up the live action shorts." Take from that what you will.

Post edited 6/23/10 11:54AM

• MAEJ

MAEJ

#13953259 - 9 years ago

In reply to Marduk, #22:

My personal thinking was that they could go back and redo it all. Instead of having them be separate episodes, just have it be one big film. They already discussed how they want to get the RvB animated series onto TV so why not try and make this as well? Frankly, I;m pretty sure there are a good deal of series that are spin off''s of movies or have a movie before hand. The Mask, Jimmy Neutron, Hercules the Animated Series, Stargate, Real/Extreme Ghostbusters. In hindsight, it could be a good kick off point for them. Then again, it would have to be connected to what they have as a plot for that and it's totally something different even though it could introduce the characters.
    ...wait, slag that. Just did some more research, they canned the animated series right now for a series of reasons, but Burnie and Monty are working on a solely animated series with no machinima.