Forums > Republic Commando

Who's voices. . .

Posts (199)

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706589 - 9 years ago

do you hear when you read the RepCom novels? Or to put it another way, who would you like to have voice-acting the characters in an audio version of the books?

naturally I think we'd use the same voice actors for Delta squad but beyond that who do you think could voice the characters to our satisfaction? Just to put out some ideas from when blackeva03 and I started discussing this on xbox live - Fi would probably sound something like Scorch, but a few octaves lower. blackeva03 suggested Ian Mckellan as General Zey, and I put forth the idea of Chiwetel Ejiofor (the Operative from Serenity) as the voice of Walon Vau.

One character we got hung up on was Bardan Jusik. It would have to be someone who can sound like a wide-eyed kid and a sort of wisened-sage (and switch between the two).

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706590 - 9 years ago

Stephen Fry is my default answer for pretty much anything to do with voice acting. He could be Vau, I suppose. He's pretty upper-class.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706591 - 9 years ago

The guy who voiced Garth in Fable 2 for either one of the Jedi or Skirata.

and the dude who did the voice acting for Master Chief as one of the commandos.

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706592 - 9 years ago

I'm not overly familiar with Fry's work, but I have heard his voice. Definitely can fit the upper class portion of Vau's speech, but do you think he could pull off sounding like a stone-cold killer? I don't know his body of work well enough to judge on that aspect

IMDB check for Fable 2 says Garth was voiced by Ron Glass (Firefly/Serenity's Shepard Book). Not a bad choice for father-figure Skirata, but then again I could also definitely hear him as a Jedi.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706593 - 9 years ago

In reply to tFMechanic, #4:

You're right bout him probably not being able to pull off stone-cold killer. Can you think of any upper-class celebrity that can?

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706594 - 9 years ago

In reply to paddymcgee, #5:

As I said, I think Chiwetel Ejiofor could fit the role. The Operative speaks very well and is absolutely a killer, which is the basis of that recommendation. Yes, I definitely think that is a good choice.

• grif99

grif99

#30706595 - 9 years ago

I think I could recommend John DiMaggio as Darman. He played Marcus Fenix.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706596 - 9 years ago

Nah, too gruff. Not Naïve or clueless enough.

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706597 - 9 years ago

I have to agree with paddymcgee on that one. But on the idea of Gears VAs, whoever did Dom could probably fit the character type (at least in the later novels). Only thing that I would be concerned about is the accent.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706598 - 9 years ago

I was just thinking the voice actor for Dom could do the voice. Great minds, eh?

Yeah, Vau has a Corusanti accent doesn't he? That's like a British accent isn't it?

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706599 - 9 years ago

no, Vau is originally from Irmenu. don't know what kind of accent that might imply. blackeva03 has suggested a Jabimi accent might be similar to US southern.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30706600 - 9 years ago

In reply to grif99, #7:

I was actually going to recommend him, but not as Darman. I really think he could do somebody, though I'm not really sure who. He's done so many different voices, some you guys might know are as mentioned Marcus Fenix, but also Bender from Futurama, Grievous in the first season of the original Clone Wars, and the brute chieftains in the Halo games (except for Tartarus).

I can see Nolan North being one of Omega, though I'm not quite sure who. North seems to have more of a relaxed kinda soldier voice (examples are Sgt. Forge from Halo Wars and Romeo from ODST). I'm gonna have to think of some more people, though.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706601 - 9 years ago

Nathan Fillion for Niner.

• grif99

grif99

#30706602 - 9 years ago

Matt Damon as any annoying prick in the books.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706603 - 9 years ago

I'm with that one

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706604 - 9 years ago

Leslie Neilson, because he's been in everything under the sun.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30706605 - 9 years ago

I would say Liam Neeson if he wasn't already Qui-gon.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706606 - 9 years ago

Just for the craic, how about John Lowrie? He was a voice actor in a few of Valves games, I think. Left 4 Dead, Half Life 2 and the Sniper in Team Fortress 2.

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706607 - 9 years ago

have to agree with Shotgun's point on Neeson. On the subject of Damon (who I actually like as an actor), perhaps he could voice one of the ARCs (rogue or otherwise).

Can't say I'm very fond of the idea of putting Fillion in the role of Niner - a little too fan friendly, I think, and not the kind of voice I could listen to in audio book style and really feel immersed in the story. North can definitely change up his style to accommodate any one of the characters, so I'm on board with that idea.

how about Karl Urban as one of the Nulls?

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706608 - 9 years ago

I agree with Snipereye. Steve Downes should be in it. Possibly as one of the Nulls.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706609 - 9 years ago

Karl Urban as a Null? I like that idea.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706610 - 9 years ago

Just to take the piss, they should just cast welshmen for all the voices.

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706611 - 9 years ago

As far as new content goes, this happened completely on its own: whenever I read Rede's lines I hear Carmine.

• grif99

grif99

#30706612 - 9 years ago

You cursed him. Now him and his entire line will die

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30706613 - 9 years ago

who's to say he wouldn't have anyway? I have doubts about that character's chances seeing as Dar might just kill Rede himself if he doesn't go along with the desertion plan

Post edited 10/29/09 8:01PM