Forums > Republic Commando

What do you love about RC?

Posts (145)

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706825 - 9 years ago

How did we not have a topic for this already?

What is it you liked so much about Republic Commando? Be it the game or the books.

Personally, I loved the level of control you got over your squad, which was totally unique at the time. It added a tactical aspect to the game that got me hooked.

I also liked the diverse personalities of the characters and how they all had very different roles dispite the fact that they were supposedly all the same. Both genetically and by upbringing.

• lcplperez

lcplperez

#30706826 - 9 years ago

Love the writing style Traviss uses the books scream for a silver screen port. Go Darman! Did you know she is making a halo book?

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706827 - 9 years ago

Yeah, and Eric Nylund is writing another one, too.

You read any of Traviss' other books?

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706828 - 9 years ago

Yep, the Gears books are badass.

I pretty much love everything about RepCom. Only things I don't are the Grevious droids, the jedi in the story, and the ending.

• grif99

grif99

#30706829 - 9 years ago

Yeah same. I suppose my favourite features were the little details like the fact that you can make trandoshans fly, the 1056 ways for droids to die and the exploding geonosians.

Oh and happy birthday SniperEye.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706830 - 9 years ago

A week late, but thanks man

• grif99

grif99

#30706831 - 9 years ago

I only just noticed the news thing. sorry.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706832 - 9 years ago

I liked how when you went to stab something, blood or oil would splatter on your visor.

It really is the little things you miss, like stabbing things and shooting things.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30706833 - 9 years ago

Definitely. I pretty much loved everything about it, except how it seemed they spent little time on developing the multiplayer. It could have been something so much more.

Oh, and I love the fact that Grievous was an "enemy" (since you never actually never get to fight him). But yeah, his MagnaGuards could be such bitches. It was like I was watching gymnastics at the Olympics they were jumping and twirling everywhere.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706834 - 9 years ago

'Course, we may have a sequel if they'd spent more time developing the multiplayer. Multiplayer is where the big money is now, which is why the campaign mode quality for most games is declining.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30706835 - 9 years ago

Yeah, which is a big shame. It used to be all about the story and campaign, now it's the complete opposite. Well, campaign still matters, just not as much as it used to.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706836 - 9 years ago

Thing is, I tend to like playing the campaign better anyway. For multiplayer you generally need people to play with, or else you've got to play againsed the internets random inhabitants. And most of them are arseholes...

• grif99

grif99

#30706837 - 9 years ago

With the glorious advent of computer bots set to "Casual" that problem is gone.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706838 - 9 years ago

It's surprisingly limited the number of games that allow you to play against bots. Esecially when you think that they've been around for over a decade.

• grif99

grif99

#30706839 - 9 years ago

Mostly it's Epic that lets you. Resistance 2 would be so much more fun with bots, definitely.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706840 - 9 years ago

Would it?

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30706841 - 9 years ago

Only games I've played with bots were Killzone and Gears 2, other than that I haven't played any other.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706842 - 9 years ago

Gears 2, the original Unreal Tournament back in the day. I was nine?

Yeah, pretty much just Epic...

Who made Killzone, by the way?

• grif99

grif99

#30706843 - 9 years ago

Guerilla.

R2 would be so much more fun with bots because it has 60-player competitive and 8-player co-op.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30706844 - 9 years ago

What's that new ps3 game? MAG? Now that bastard would need bots. I don't think there are enough people with a PS3 to make it's massive multiplayer function viable.

• grif99

grif99

#30706845 - 9 years ago

How much multiplayer capability has it got? Ie how many peeps in one match?

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706846 - 9 years ago

Republic Commando could have done with bots. A squad vs squad type match, you know?

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30706847 - 9 years ago

In reply to grif99, #21:

256. I really don't see how that's going to be possible with so many different internet connections.

Squad vs. squad would have been awesome. Keep the ability to issue commands in a specific gametype for multiplayer, I think that would have been fun.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30706848 - 9 years ago

Could have bits of the map you could blow up and terminals you could slice to get to turrets, ammo, weapons or bacta...

• grif99

grif99

#30706849 - 9 years ago

Why did no-one else ever think of that? You've made me rich paddy.

Oh crap Rainbow Six.