Forums > Republic Commando

True situations

Posts (105)

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463900 - 10 years ago

Have there been times when the game we all love has influenced (positively or negatively) your real life? Have you made comments that you think are perfectly normally while everyone else things you've gone nuts? Have you ever tried to breach a door, only to realise that you don't have any charges?

For me, during the time when I was deciding which arm of the military to go into, I actually told one of the recruiting officers I saw that said game had influenced my decision.
    Oh and I have tried to breech a door, only to realise I had no charges. Solution, I booted the fucker!

• Don113

Don113

#30463901 - 10 years ago

In reply to SniperEye, #1:

My real life? Well, I have tried breaching a door several times (c'mon, I was sleepy). I'm still deciding which branch of the military to join, but in honor of Sicko I might become a pilot. I dunno what you think, but Black Hawks are sexy.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463902 - 10 years ago

Titanium shelled helicopters first used in the 60's? Yeah they're good machines, but I'll never be in one. Wrong country. From what I've seen thus far of my country's army, we'll use aging machines that are more vunerable to ground fire than a frigging inflatable boat (which we use would you believe it) many that didn't use to have the capabilty to lift casualties out of a minefield (which is why we lost a lot of guys in the early stages of Afghanistan RE: Kajaki hydro-electric dam around 2006)
    We take on the hardest province in Afghanistan, the very heartland of the Taliban, and take the fight to them for three years and we've pushed the fuckers out. We've paid for that miserable shite hole in blood and now the fucking media thinks the war is a bad idea and seem to be pushing for a withdrawal. Fuck off! We've paid for that place and we're going to collect. We'll take fucking Helmand away from those psychotic murderous bastards and make sure they never come into the country again. Well over a hundred guys have died for that place, with many more wounded and the media thinks it's a bad idea? Fuck off.

Don mate, you've got my respect for decided to join up for your country's armed forces, even if you haven't chosen which branch to join yet. Good on you, mate. Anyone that decides to actually fight for their country deserves more than what they get. And for those that decry the sacrifices their soldiers, saliors and airmen have to make, can go and fuck off. Freedom ain't free, and they ain't willing to pay the price.

• Don113

Don113

#30463903 - 10 years ago

In reply to SniperEye, #3:

I'm sorry to hear about your military's arsenal. I've always heard good things about the Brits. And yeah, I'm definitely joining. But unlike most teenagers who join, I already know that it is not like Call of Duty or any other shooter game. No respawns or checkpoints in real life. I'm still willing to take the risk. Problem is that I have to wait for laser eye surgery; they won't let you fly if you have glasses.

As for the media, they pulled this shit in 'Nam, too. The Tet Offensive was a military disaster for the Commies. They could've laid out a red carpet for US forces to march to Hanoi mad eout of red flags and Commie blood. But the media portrayed it as another American failure. I wonder when they'll realize that people usually die in wars. The media led to the US defeat, not US troops. Now they're trying to pull the same thing. Sierra Sierra, Delta Delta (Same Shit, Different Day).

Keep at it, man. I'm sure you guys'll take Helmand away from them. Politicians not withstanding.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463904 - 10 years ago

Hell yeah, matey. Politcians and the media can go hang themselves (in fact I wish they would;))

• tFMechanic

tFMechanic

#30463905 - 10 years ago

don't we all

• Don113

Don113

#30463906 - 10 years ago

There are a few good ones out there, don't get me wrong. But they all get corrupted in the end; the media will do anything for ratings, and the politicians will do anything for more votes. They all end up that way no matter what intentions they had in the first place. It's pretty sad.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30463907 - 10 years ago

Yeah, good old politics.

As for the actual topic, I had a good one just a few days ago when I had some friends over and I actually said "fierfek" when I went to swear. Only one of them got it having played the game.

The other one is more of a joke by my cousin about four years back when the game was released. My grandma couldn't get the front door open and my cousin yells, "Breach that door, Grandma Rose!" It was great.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463908 - 10 years ago

In reply to Shotgunchief, #8:

Ha! Awesome!

It's always fun to see a door get opened with extreme prejudice. I've seen it done many a time, and it never gets old!
    Middle of a night exercise, we're storming an enemy strong point and my mate (who was on point) dropped into the compound with the rest of us close behind. Now we had no idea where the enemy were hanging out, so our squad leader (another mate of mine who I'd gone through basic with) orders the pointman to go for the first building. Door is locked. So with the rest of us covering him, he boots the door in with a couple of heavy kicks and in we go. A few bursts of automatic fire later and we've cleared the building.
    What ew didn't know is that there were no enemy in there, or in fact inside the buildings at all, they were all hiding on the rooftops. We also didn't know the door was locked, which made it all the more awesome.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30463909 - 10 years ago

A tendancy to use military euthanism and understatement common in RC in everyday situations...

• Don113

Don113

#30463910 - 10 years ago

In reply to SniperEye, #9:

Nice. Also, hey, US Marines are in Helmand province. Sorry it took so long.

• grif99

grif99

#30463911 - 9 years ago

In reply to paddymcgee, #10:

It generally hapens. It's a military game, and a great one at that. Though there are no convenienly placed bacta tanks or buttons to "recall and revive" in real life.

Though that would be awesome.

Actually on the topic, whenever I see a building being pulled down (which is a lot in Manchester - it's shite) I say "Commence radical restructuring!" or any of the other Boss demo lines.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30463912 - 9 years ago

And then you wonder why people nearby look at you funny? They do that to me for some reason...

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463913 - 9 years ago

Still trying to work out a way to make a gauntlet punching dagger. Think I've got a way that will work now.

• grif99

grif99

#30463914 - 9 years ago

Go on trueswords.com - they've got some pretty awesome (if illegal) stuff. Like 1.2 MILLION VOLT TASER GAUNTLET, RETRACTABLE BLADE GAUNTLET, HALO ENERGY SWORD (it's metal really but it looks like it)...

I'll stop now.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463915 - 9 years ago

I'm talking about a working weapon design, not some shitty stage crap that breaks when you look at it.

• grif99

grif99

#30463916 - 9 years ago

Point.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30463917 - 9 years ago

A (sharp/heavy) metal sword is a working weapon. Just because it's obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just look at XP in comparision to Vista.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463918 - 9 years ago

Ah but these stage/prop/decorative blades break when you try and use them for the purpose such items were originally designed for.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30463919 - 9 years ago

I need a real energy sword somehow...

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30463920 - 9 years ago

Oh, and to the first person to say some variation of "Bow chicka bow wow", I will remove something you are very attatched to.

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#30463921 - 9 years ago

Like your energy sword.

Had to be done.

• grif99

grif99

#30463922 - 9 years ago

In reply to paddymcgee, #21:

I'm scared.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#30463923 - 9 years ago

In reply to SniperEye, #19:

*cough*

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#30463924 - 9 years ago

When dealing with sub-par crap which is only good for advertising, you've got to remember to NOT bash it against more stable surfaces.

Hindsight's a bitch, huh?