Forums > Republic Commando

Star Wars and RC News/Updates/etc.

Posts (40)

• SniperEye

SniperEye

#31313418 - 7 years ago

In reply to kelevra16, #25:

I find myself unable to get excited at this.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313419 - 7 years ago

In reply to SniperEye, #26:

Agreed. Not really a fan of either Darth Maul or The Clone Wars series.

I wonder if there was once a time that dead meant dead in fiction.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#31313420 - 7 years ago

I like Darth Maul, he's a badass, but bringing him back? I dunno...

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313421 - 7 years ago

Vader was described as being "more machine than man" like it was uncommon. Since Grievous and zombie/cyborg Darth Maul were retconned into existence Vader's artificial limbs and comically large helmet seem kind of pale by comparison.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#31313422 - 7 years ago

Fuck the cyborg Maul, and I think Grievous is an entirely different scenario. All he has, really, is his organs...

Vader is still a menace, and seems more human than the other two, thus more intimidating.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313423 - 7 years ago

It wasn't Vader's humanity that was intimidating. You don't even see his face until the final ten minutes or so of Return of the Jedi.

But it's silly for them to even be bringing back characters who're already dead. It's the same problem most comics run into. No one's going to take Wolverine's death seriously because they know he'll be back in a few months. Likewise, death's not going to have the same impact if you can survive being bisected and dropped down a large pit.

Vader and Greivous were different. They had to survive whatever they were put through in the expanded universe and prequel films because they appeared later on. We know that Anakin survives getting his limbs hacked off and his skin melted away because he's there in Episode IV, killing people from across the room with the power of his mind. Maul was saved by a combination of lazy writing and popularity.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#31313424 - 7 years ago

Yeah, I hate it as much as you do. Rarely do people die in fiction and stay dead, unless the movie doesn't have a sequel or something.

It's mostly Lucas in Star Wars, he can't write good deaths for shit so EU writers just bring them back to hopefully redeem a bit of their status.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313425 - 7 years ago

Depends on the series, I suppose. A Song of Fire and Ice is pretty infamous for killing off characters, for example. And death is most certainly not cheap in that universe. It's been a while since I watched it, but I think Heroes had a similar habit.

I'm skeptical of the idea that writers feel the need to redeem characters in any way. It's really more the job of the fans to care about that sort of thing. A lot of writers say that the story writes itself and that their original plans for them are subject to change. I'm willing to bet that convinient resurrections have happened at least a few times because of that.

Then, of course, there's works like The Adventures of Dr Mcninja in which Benjamin Franklin's clone runs out on the bill in the Restaurant of Purgatory because that's the kind of wierd, nonsensical occurance that can only be expected in something called "The Adventures of Dr Mcninja." And then plot happens, somehow...

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#31313426 - 7 years ago

Oh my god, Dr. McNinja... I haven't read that in so long.

Is it still going?

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313427 - 7 years ago

It is indeed.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#31313428 - 7 years ago

Holy shit I've clearly missed a lot then.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313429 - 7 years ago

I suppose bringing back Darth Maul shouldn't be much of a surprise, though. I mentioned comics earlier, but Star Wars does this all the time, too. There's Ben Kenobi's ghost, followed swiftly by Yoda's ghost and Vader's ghost. There's Boba Fett, Palpatine (with a frequency rivalled only by Duncan Idaho of Dune fame), Qui-Gon Jinn (implied) and likely a number of others which I'm unaware of.

• Shotgunchief

Shotgunchief

#31313430 - 7 years ago

They brought Grievous back in Galaxies, but at that point he was pure droid... hated it.

• paddymcgee

paddymcgee

#31313431 - 7 years ago

MMOs don't count, since you can kill the same guy two dozen times in them and they keep respawning.

• mitchell989

mitchell989

#31313432 - 7 years ago

In reply to Shotgunchief, #5:

Dont even speak of those attrositys to nature!