Forums > Rooster Teeth Vermont

DnD

Posts (42)

• elkinen

elkinen reppin' the 802

#33122848 - 3 years ago

IDK

• Firearrow5235

Firearrow5235 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Web Developer

#33123314 - 3 years ago

Alright, so I'll let you guys know when I get my stuff back from Nate (@donut711) and then I'll be free to help anyone make there characters leading up to Game Day (TBD). Just message me on here if you guys need help. :)

• NickRomalo

NickRomalo FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nick Romalo

#33123566 - 3 years ago

In reply to Firearrow5235

Do you have a webcam and twitch account Gavyn? I was thinking if you have the ability when you (and anyone else when we get the stuff/experience) DM you could set up battle scenarios or other maps on a webcam and stream it via twitch while we all talk on a VOIP chat client. The 21st century is awesome.

And I like to think/plan ahead way beyond normal people so if things go well perhaps we could start a modest guild fund so the DM(s) can buy new stuff for campaigns like figurines or adventures down the road.

And for anyone just joining this conversation, go check this link out for some free online resources (Thanks Gavyn): https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/tr...

• elkinen

elkinen reppin' the 802

#33123593 - 3 years ago

In reply to nromalo

We have a dedicated RT Vermont twitch account now that Gavyn has access to so he can use that (unless he has a personal one he wants to use!). And the we can use the RT Vermont GameVox server or set up another dedicated RT Vermont DnD server for chat :D

• Firearrow5235

Firearrow5235 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Web Developer

#33123740 - 3 years ago

In reply to nromalo

Actually, I won't be using a grid or anything for battles. I used to use tiles/dry-erase mat but it's super time consuming, and honestly, not that fun. Trust me, you guys will enjoy it. :)

• Twiggyboy

Twiggyboy

#33123750 - 3 years ago

Awesome, can't wait!

• JenC

JenC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold JenCforCarolina

#33123861 - 3 years ago

Will sessions be online or in person then, online makes it easier for people from all over to join.

• Firearrow5235

#33123892 - 3 years ago

In reply to JenC

The plan is online.

• NickRomalo

NickRomalo FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nick Romalo

#33123927 - 3 years ago

I'm sure I will. My whole day's free time was spent thinking about how I'd want to roll my character based off the info I could gleam from the online sources. I can't wait to get my player's handbook and just go nuts. I have a feeling I'll be reading it cover to cover.

• NickRomalo

#33123930 - 3 years ago

In reply to JenC

Online is easiest for now. Maybe down the road we can plan more elaborate meetups based on other RTVT(or is RT802 better?) events.

• Twiggyboy

Twiggyboy

#33124057 - 3 years ago

In reply to nromalo

Same, my handbook should be here Friday, cant't wait to get my character off the ground.

• elkinen

elkinen reppin' the 802

#33124072 - 3 years ago

Should I be planning a character before DnD starts? I was under the impression you had to wait until you rolled, but again I'm a COMPLETE noob to this!

• NickRomalo

#33124119 - 3 years ago

In reply to elkinen

Yes and No. You should be thinking about maybe what race they should be as well as what kind of fighter you want to be. Are you an Elven mage with nasty fireballs and other arcane arts? Or are you a brutish Dwarven barbarian who is thrilled by the very idea of battle? Perhaps you are a Human Archer with a faithful hawk as your ally? Or maybe you're something the world has never seen? D&D or any RPG is awesome like that. For now just try and think of what kind of battler you want to be and we'll help you from there. Crazy notion that many new players don't even think about: Is your character even the same sex as you? It doesn't have to be. Go nuts.

I've been tinkering around all night thinking of mine and have this idea to be a Longstride Shifter (Basically a werewolf but less wolf and more human) Two-Weapon Champion Fighter named Thrash Windstepper who is a Lawful Neutral Outlander.

The stats and skills you have will come later when we start actually rolling some dice. For everyone's sake we'll probably spend at least 1 session just setting everyone up all proper and shit before we go kill some baddies.

• JenC

JenC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold JenCforCarolina

#33124428 - 3 years ago

Got a character sheet format? My character is in Pathfinder but I love her and want to use her personality anyway and just drop her back to level 1 and reroll stats (lol she only ever made it to level three anyway...) Is there an online template we can fill or use for refernece?

• Firearrow5235

#33124436 - 3 years ago

In reply to JenC

If you're starting at lvl 1 then it's best to just reroll the character from scratch and build her as close as possible to the original. If you were trying to port her over (same lvl and such) then you'd want to google "moving 3.5e characters to 5e D&D" (or something like that).

In reply to nromalo

In reply to elkinen

When I've played, we'd always show up to the first session with our characters. If anyone needed help making a character, the more experienced of us would pitch in and help with that. I will be doing just that. Like I said earlier, once I have my D&D stuff (hopefully by tonight) I'll be free to help anyone out in making their characters. Just message me on the site, and we'll figure out a time and a medium (skype, RT messages, etc.). :)

• elkinen

elkinen reppin' the 802

#33124504 - 3 years ago

In reply to nromalo

Okay, thanks for the thorough answer! I'll start thinking things up, I'm looking forward to this and character creation will keep me entertained at work haha. Do I need to get a Player Handbook? Is there someplace that explains the different races and classes?

• Firearrow5235

#33124522 - 3 years ago

In reply to elkinen

The Player's Handbook is a more complete version of what can be found here. If you want to play a class other then those listed (for example: Ranger) then yes, you would need a Player's Handbook.

• elkinen

elkinen reppin' the 802

#33124558 - 3 years ago

Thank you! I guess I didn't realize that they had the explanations there!

• NickRomalo

#33124609 - 3 years ago

In reply to JenC

if you go here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/characte... then you can download 5th edition character sheets in pdf format so you can either print some or just fill in the forms as you go.

I'm also going to post a link to a character generator for 5th edition that goes well with the player's handbook if you have it. Otherwise I wouldn't use it as it is hard to pick things like background or race if you don't have all the traits/perks readily available to read. http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

• Twiggyboy

Twiggyboy

#33124814 - 3 years ago

My handbook came in today and I spent all day at work creating my character. I just need some dice now to determine things like starting gold. I also need to actually fill out the character sheet, all I've got now are basic notes on sticky notes.

• JenC

#33124980 - 3 years ago

I found the original character sheet from when my dorm was going to do a campaign that never happened, so she's actually convinently set at a level one for version 5. I can reroll stats anyway if you want, might like to take time for you to look over it anyway and check it out. Free anytime tomorrow?

• elkinen

elkinen reppin' the 802

#33124993 - 3 years ago

^ Same, are you free anytime to go over character and stuff? Do I roll for stats when I create the character? Also I think I'm going for a dwarven cleric - is there a certain place I should be looking at for D&D mythos? (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Morndinsamma...?)

• Firearrow5235

#33125021 - 3 years ago

In reply to elkinen

In reply to JenC

In reply to Twiggyboy

When it comes to stats, I prefer that people take the standard set (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or use the point-buy system. This post explains why better than I could. (top answer)

As for helping you guys out, I completely forgot to stop and grab my stuff from @donut711 on the way home from class, but I'm sure I could still help you guys out. I just won't have all of the information beyond the basic rules in front of me. Message me and we'll figure it out. :)

• donut711

donut711 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33125222 - 3 years ago

I can help people make characters at some point

• Firearrow5235

#33127900 - 3 years ago

Alright! I got my stuff back. I'm planning on doing D&D next Saturday at ~5PM. I'll let you all know when the exact time will be. Also, we can't really have more than 7 people in one game, so we may need to find another DM, or have people switch out week-to-week. I'm not exactly sure how many people there is, but we seem to have quite a few.