Forums > RT Events

RTX Austin 2018

Posts (92)

• Myst101

Myst101

#33686557 - 1 year ago

My son and I attended RTX Austin 2017 and both my sons and I are going to attend the 2018 event as well. 

This coming year, we want to get VIP passes. We are prepared to pay the extra cost as we went with weekend passes last year had to wait in several two hours plus line ups to attend almost anything and I think it will be worth it for that alone. 

Any ways, my question is: I believe the VIP passes go on sale in January and I just wanted to know if, because I have double gold not a First membership, will I get an email letting me know when they are going on sale? I don’t want to miss out as I know they sell super quick!

I appreciate any feed back :) Thanks RT Family!!

• Myst101

Myst101

#33686649 - 1 year ago

Thank you!

• Chelsea

Chelsea FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RT Community Manager

#33686681 - 1 year ago

In reply to EricHVela

In reply to Myst101

Correct! We don't have any info to release right now, but if we follow the same cadence as we have for the last couple of ticket sales, Double Gold usually gets tickets on a Monday, FIRST members on a Wednesday, and public on a Friday. 

• Myst101

Myst101

#33686775 - 1 year ago

Awesome!! Thank you so much!!

• illyria250

illyria250 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Just a Gym Teacher

#33688659 - 1 year ago

I will say VIP was not all too great last year. I have done it the last 3 years and it was not a good experience for the money I paid. I had to leave panels early just to get a seat in the VIP section if it was a popular. I ended up in a regular section seat during the AH panel. PLUS, they started moving us into the reserved seats right before the panels started and moved weekend pass holders up, essentially taking away the VIP section.

I met some nice people but man a lot of the newer VIPs were dicks. I have never heard so much negativity and immaturity from the community. Quite frankly they over sold and did not have enough seating available in the popular panels among other things. I am willing to give it one more go, but if I don't see improvements this year I won't be shelling out more money in the future.

I will say since there are a bunch of you going, don't judge your RTX experience on 2017 alone. The metal detector fiasco was not their fault and was a brand new issue this year. Since they had to make a big change on Saturday and take away a panel cueing room it made lines horrible. Next year they will surely have a better system for the metal detectors and not have to lose that room. I would honestly save your money until they have ironed out the kinks. If they could go back to 2016 RTX VIPs and sell less tickets and have the reserved seat number lower, it would absolutely be worth it. 

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents to give you some perspective from someone who felt like a platinum weekender and not a VIP. My previous 2 years as a VIP were totally worth the money, but that was also when they were still only $500.

• Myst101

Myst101

#33689217 - 1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I know the metal detector issue was not their fault and I hope they have it figured out by the time RTX 2018 rolls around. Hopefully they have taken notes on what worked (and what didn’t!) and it runs a little smoother this coming year. 

I also hope they either figure out a better system for giving out badges or we can make it down a few days early to get ours. 

2 1/2 hours to just get the badge was ridiculous! (Which then snowballed into the metal dectetor thing!)  

I know what you mean about the VIP seating issues. I went to the RT Podcast panel (the #1 reason I went to RTX) and was really really far in the back, even though I managed to get in line almost 3 hours before it started! Once it started, they told everyone they could move up, so that eliminated any remaining VIP Seating. I have a feeling that I (we) may still have to arrive quite early to be able to get into the VIP seating area!

I’m sorry to hear you met so many negative people! >:( The people I met seemed nice enough and I didn’t have any bad experiences related to that. 

We are already committed to going, to waiting for 2019 or later is not an option at this point. 

Did you make it to the VIP Party last year? I would love to hear about that if you did!

And Happy New Year to you and your family!!

• illyria250

illyria250 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Just a Gym Teacher

#33689231 - 1 year ago

In reply to Myst101

As a VIP, my first 2 experiences, meant no waiting in line for panels. I literally could walk in 10 minutes before a panel and still get a great seat. That's why having to wait 2+ hours for the Off Topic panel was ridiculous to me this year. As a VIP I shouldn't have to wait hours for anything, maybe an hour max. That was one of the most alarming things for me this year.

As for the VIP I had a pretty good time. They had it at an outdoor concert venue at a local restaurant. The cover band was fun and played 80s stuff which made me super happy. A lot of people were miffed bc they thought being outdoors in Texas was obsurd, didn't really bother me since it was in the evening. 

The problem a lot of people had this year was that RT staff and guests had their own quarenteened area of the bar and hid out there the majority of the time instead of interacting with people. People did come out and mingle but some of the community think the best way to engage personalities is by swarming around them and anxiously waiting and pushing in on them until they are seen. They even brought extra stuff to the party to be signed. In my opinion it's a meet and greet and signing should not be allowed of extra objects, badged are ok in my mind. This is a chance to talk to them and have an experience better than a picture or a signed piece of merch. For example, I got to chat with Max for several minutes and just shoot the breeze. Talk about life and just be people. It was wonderful.

It wasn't a horrible experience as a VIP, but for 3 of you it will be around $2000. I just want to make sure you feel like you get the bang for your buck because this last year I did not feel that way. BUT I am hopeful they will learn from their mistakes and make it even better this year.

• Myst101

Myst101

#33689308 - 1 year ago

Wow! That sounds terrible! 

I think a lot of the reason people buy the VIP is that party. To get to meet them in a more social and not super rushed setting. (Like the autograph session)  I agree about the signing things part. Your badge would be cool and maybe a photo - but not a bunch of other stuff too.  

It’s funny you say that people were miffed that it was outside - in the evening. The weather was nice there at that time. 

As for the money, yea, I know it’s going to cost a lot (I’m only getting 0.80 cents to your dollar too here in Canada lol!) but I really do love all things Rooster Teeth and this supports the work they do and lets them keep doing it and I’m ok with that :)

Besides, I will also get to spend a week with my boys! That alone is worth the cost!!!  (yes, cheesy, I know haha)

Again, thank for all your feedback - I really appreciate your insight and sharing your experiences with me. 

• illyria250

#33689324 - 1 year ago

In reply to Myst101

I know the mom feels, I have a 2.5 year old. My husband and I can't wait until she's old enough to come along.

I will be seeing you there then, as long as we can snag those VIP passes. They tend to sell out pretty fast! (Though my husband will probably be a guardian.. again. lol)

Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about!

• Myst101

Myst101

#33690621 - 1 year ago

In reply to illyria250

Nope. I think you have pretty much answered everything I had at the moment!

Now, to snag those tickets is the next part!!

Thanks again!

:)

• illyria250

#33690626 - 1 year ago

In reply to Myst101

You're welcome! Bethany made a tweet the other day about them going on sale in February so keep an eye out for a post on the main page here.

• Myst101

Myst101

#33690876 - 1 year ago

In reply to illyria250

Woohoo! Thanks for the update! I’ll be sure to keep my eyes open!

I’ve received the email about the new RWBY and an email about the loot box - so that “should” mean I will get the notification about the tickets too.... right?

• illyria250

#33690929 - 1 year ago

In reply to Myst101

Yes. The fact that you are getting emails is a good sign. lol I still don't get any email updates from them. I usually have to email for my early access code. They will make a big post well before tickets go on sale to try and avoid any issues. I usually hear back within a day if I don't get my code, which has yet to be a problem (knock on wood.) They give the codes in advance before they even open up ticket sales.

• Myst101

Myst101

#33690968 - 1 year ago

In reply to illyria250

Awesome! Thanks (again!) 

With that twitter announcement, I can stop checking my email obsessively since I’ve got a bit to wait yet! Lol

If I hear anything (email) I will be sure to let you know as well. I’d hate for you to miss the tickets! 

Take care, Sandy

• illyria250

#33691087 - 1 year ago

In reply to Myst101

Thanks Sandy! That would be much appreciated.bruce

• natethomas

natethomas FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kodi Project Manager

#33692372 - 1 year ago

Oh yeah, now that RTX tickets are rolling around, I'm reminded to re-up my alt account to double gold so I can get a first pass at VIP. I'm guessing there'll be like 6,000 vip tickets this year, making the name hilariously disingenuous, but it's still the best ticket in town, so whatever.

This is the first year I've actively tried to submit suggestions to the brass on improving the VIP scene, particularly the VIP room, which could and should be so much better than it is. If that doesn't work though and it ends up being like last year, I may go rogue and simply implement some of the improvements while nobody is looking. Switching to active panels on the big screen, I'm looking at you.

• natethomas

natethomas FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kodi Project Manager

#33692373 - 1 year ago

In reply to illyria250

I'm curious, if you could make improvements to VIP this year (assuming we can't reduce the number of VIP goers, and probably also assuming that number will get even larger this year), what would you do? Have you had any thoughts about it? I've had a few, but they're all related to the VIP room.

• illyria250

#33692383 - 1 year ago

In reply to natethomas

Aside from dropping the number of VIPs below 1000 people again, they need to actually have enough VIP seats in panels and cut back on the reserved seating for RT staff/family/friends. That was one of the biggest problems. Did they really need 100+ reserved seats for every fucking panel in the big room? Bullshit. It was also super bullshit that we could move into the reserved seats 5 min before a panel and then they would move regular weekender into VIP seats. Why did I pay over $600 if you're going to take away the biggest perk of best seating?? I also think there should be an age restriction. There were too many parents who bought the VIP for their kid and then weekend passes for themselves, but had to be with their minor, taking up VIP space and were allowed at the VIP party. I think it should be 18+ at the very least.

EDIT* As far as the VIP room, it was cool my first year when it was right off center stage, but that made it always crowded with people waiting to harass RT people. My second year, the stuck it in a corner and nobody was ever in there. It was bland and boring and didn't have any monitors to watch the panels/center stage. After that, I didn't even bother to check it out last year. One of my friends I was hanging with said it was nothing special and it was literally miles away from anything. It is in dire need of improvement.

• natethomas

#33692408 - 1 year ago

In reply to illyria250

In reply to natethomas

I also think there should be an age restriction. There were too many parents who bought the VIP for their kid and then weekend passes for themselves, but had to be with their minor, taking up VIP space and were allowed at the VIP party. I think it should be 18+ at the very least.

I don't think this will happen, but I completely agree with it. If you remember two years ago at the party, there was a very notable difference between the party before midnight and the party after midnight, when the age restriction went up to 21. Before midnight, staff was constantly being swarmed and the idiotic signing at parties thing was going on. After midnight, nobody got swarmed and it was as chill as any year. My theory is that the younger folks simply aren't aware of how unpleasant they make the VIP experience with that swarming behavior. Hell, they may think the swarming and making life hellish for the staff is just part of the fun. Limiting it to 18+ or even 21+ would definitely change the vibe. I'd be curious to know if they would still sell out tickets doing that.

The VIP room was indeed super far away, but it was still better this year compared to the embarrassment that was two years ago. Big TV. Reasonably frequent staff visits. But your friend wasn't wrong. It still wasn't anything special. Hence my push to try to fix it.

• illyria250

#33692414 - 1 year ago

In reply to natethomas

The swarming was so dumb there. I didn't even try to talk to anyone unless I could catch them alone for a second. What is the point of a MEET and GREET if you aren't going to try to have an actual conversation? 

Unfortunately we have many socially inept people in the community so things probably won't change. I know the chances of age restriction are slim to none, but one can dream right? lol

• Anthony12

Anthony12 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33692606 - 1 year ago

TLDR: I don't even know anymore, this post sort of spiralled out of control.

By my educated estimations, there was approximately 2000 VIP's at this past RTX Austin, based on the maximum holding for Stubbs outdoor area (2'200). The Con's numbers was about 62000 attendees, for every 1 VIP there was 30 regular attendees, if my proposed numbers are right. That's not a very rewarding ratio, dropping about in half from 2015 based on my proposed numbers (60'000 attendees and approximately 1'000 VIP's based on Speakeasy, 2016 VIP Party Location, Capacity). I'd like to see this trend backwards, and go back to the 60 to 1, 2016 was a great VIP year, but it doesn't really make Business sense to do that unfortunately. They have a large group in the community who are willing to pay the ~$600 to get a VIP pass, and it only makes sense to make that money. 

Personally, I actually enjoyed the whole of RTX. Badge collection on the Thursday took about 3 hours, but outside of the escape room, that was the only time I spent in lines. Panels on Friday, I was at Funhaus, in the Hilton, left the Hilton and went to RWBY in the main hall in the ACC, walked right in and got seats up front in the VIP section. VIP party was pretty awesome, from what I can remember of it as copious amounts of "Screwdriver"'s were consumed. Music was great, had awesome conversations with people in the Day 5 cast, a number of the AH support staff, and many other RT Staff/Cast. Saturday was more of a chill day with my friends, mostly recovering from the previous night, and Sunday was have fun on the floor and do the escape room.

I come all the way over from the UK each year, and the VIP Pass is worth it for no reason more than I get to see the friends I have in the US, who I see once, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky enough to go over. I get to have fun and interact with people that I watch on a daily basis in the RT Staff. And unlike the weekend pass, I get to do MORE of it. I was very much heart broken on Sunday, waiting in line for the Escape Room. My total wait time was about 1 Hr 15 Minutes. Started just as Off Topic began queuing around 2pm. Just as I was going in at 3:15/3:30, I heard that they had capped the line, and I heard someone else in the general admission line saying that they had been there since 9, when the ACC opened up. When I added up where they were in line, with the number of turns there was available, I don't think they would have gotten in. Imagine waiting all day, and not getting to do it. If you're ok with that, take the massive discount that the Weekend Pass gives you, but be ready to do 1 thing each day. If you want to hit 5 or 6 panels in a day, then the VIP Pass is the only way to do it.

But, and this is my final point. I believe it was highlighted elsewhere in this post. I have never been more disappointed in a very small section of this community, the disappointed VIP pass holders. I am willing to bet that these pass holders were first timers, expecting it to be an all access pass to anyone they wanted when they wanted. They weren't prepared for being told no. And this vocal minority ruined the image of the VIP pass holder. I can't remember a year were VIP's were "hated" so badly as this last RTX, all because of a selection of entitled members of the group.

If it's possible, I will be going for VIP once again this year, though money is very tough at the moment, with a short term debt situation. But it's not the cost that is the true issue to me, it is whether the right people, the humble people not the arrogant up themselves ones, who buy the badges, and treat it with the respect it deserves. Because I was embarrassed by the behaviour of some of my fellow VIP's, and hope it doesn't happen again. 

• natethomas

#33692611 - 1 year ago

In reply to Anthony12

I was honestly fairly disappointed. I'm not sure if my disappointment is what you are talking about though. I was disappointed because I've never once been told I can't visit a panel any single year I was a VIP until last year. I didn't get all pissy about it to the guardians, because it's not their fault. But I was certainly unhappy that something that had been a privilege that had existed every single year before it had been taken away without any warning or prior notification. Generally, when one pays more, year over year, for a ticket, service, or product, it's pretty reasonable to expect to get either more or at least the same. To get less is, quite frankly, a mark against the company. If Apple or Samsung gave you a phone that was roughly half as good as the previous year's model, but charged you slightly more for it, you would have every right to be unhappy about it. As I said earlier, I'm still willing to pay for that ticket, because it remains the best ticket in town, but to put the blame on the people buying undelivered or damaged goods is simply wrong. It's like being angry at the people who didn't get their RT xmas presents for being unhappy that they didn't get their items in time for christmas. It's victim blaming.

If you are talking about something else, then feel free to ignore my reply and perhaps elaborate on exactly what they did that caused this most hated status. I'd argue the biggest mistake the VIP people made last year was simply existing as VIPs, as regular ticket holders can pretty reasonably be annoyed when 2000 people march past them to get a seat, when they've been waiting in line for 5 or more hours.

• illyria250

#33692626 - 1 year ago

In reply to natethomas

In reply to Anthony12

I see where both of you are coming from. 2016 was the BEST year to be VIP. They were spot on with the ratio of tickets sold. I went into 2017 thinking I would have a similar experience, but I was wrong. I still had a pretty good time though, but I felt like I was stiffed for the money I paid. In 2016 I walked into all of my panels 30 minutes or less before it and had no trouble getting into the front. This year, I actually had to cue for panels an hour plus and it changed up my whole plan.

Now I did meet some really salty VIPs who were pretty rude and horrible, whining the whole time about their experience. They wouldn't talk about anything else and it was soooooo annoying.

As for the weekend passers, I really feel for them. They got super shafted, especially with all the line bullshit on Friday. They got to watch VIPs use their own entrance and that kind of started the madness of VIP hate. I would hear people making comments behind me in panels and yelling at guardians about the unfairness of the VIPs. For the CampCamp panel, they actually moved weekend passers so the VIPs could get seats. I have never received so many dirty looks. Plus I was in a group chat and some of the people in there started complaining hard about VIPs. I ended up leaving the chat.

All being said, I've experienced both types of passes and aside from a couple of things, I would still choose VIP every time like Anthony said, you will always get to do more and that is worth it for me.

• natethomas

#33692655 - 1 year ago

In reply to Anthony12

In reply to illyria250

Which year was the BNL concert? Was that 2016? If so, I'll agree. I'd actually argue that in many ways, being a VIP has gotten progressively worse every year. The first year the VIP room was also the green room. That's pretty much the best and most unbeatable VIP room. Also the first year VIPs could take a friend in with them to panels. I THINK that was 2014. The group was small enough that it was virtually inevitable that you'd make friends with all sorts of random people. I became buddies with Barbara's parents, of all people. If you measure the value of the VIP ticket by panel access, VIP room quality, and random staff moments, then every year has been a downward trend, with the exception of VIP room from 2016 to 2017.

If, on the other hand, you measure it by amazing things you can do over the weekend, then I'd argue it definitely peaked at the Bare Naked Ladies concert. Being about 8 rows back from BNL was perhaps the most awesome experience I've ever had at RTX. Also getting photobombed by Arryn Zech during the concert was pretty fun. 

With that said, if the saltiness you guys are talking about was being visibly rude and horrible over the weekend, then I completely agree: There's no place for that at RTX. There is NEVER a good reason to be rude to the guardians. I didn't go to the party, figuring it would be a bummer given just how many VIP people were there, but it certainly sounds like it wasn't a good time, both because of how the party was set up, and because of the saltiness of the VIPs that were there. 

I don't know. I don't know how you solve saltiness like that. You can't fix it just by complaining about it. 2000 potential VIPs aren't going to read this thread and realize they need to be more positive magically. What needs to happen is top down. The RT events people need to very clearly inform the people buying these tickets what they can expect and, just as importantly, what they can't expect. 

That's really what's been needed for several years now at pretty much all events. Clear communication, preferably AHEAD of time, explaining potential problems. Can you imagine how much happier the entire RTX community would have been on day 1 last year if they'd gotten an alert saying, "Due to events not under our control, we have been required to use metal detectors this year for the main hall. We are working on figuring out the most efficient way of getting everyone through the line, but until we do, please bear with us."

For VIPs, a simple, "We've sold substantially more VIP tickets this year than ever before. We will do our best to get everyone into every panel they want, but as there are more VIPs than VIP seats for several panels, consider getting to the big panels early," would have completely negated all the surprise and irritation for most last year. And similarly, a quick rundown of how exactly the VIP party was going to go might have resulted in a lot more people unsurprised by how the VIP party went. 

It remains a total mystery to me why they don't hire a head of event communication, whose job it is to speak to the event community like they are people/adults. Hell, I've specifically been offering to do this job for free for VIPs for like 3 years, and been totally ignored every single time.