Forums > RT Michigan

Apps that help you meet up on a whim?

Posts (15)

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572433 - 5 years ago

So, I know checking the site and group would be troublesome on a mobile device (at least for android users since it does not scale well) but I know a few of us live within arms reach of each other, so I thought it might be fun and useful if there were apps that allowed you to know who was immediately nearby and whether or not they were available at that moment.

GroupMe sees Tobe the ideal choice at the moment, currently figuring out what kinks it has

Post edited 7/11/14 4:23PM

• LoZelda

LoZelda FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Supposedly An Adult

#32572434 - 5 years ago

In reply to RocketDown, #1:

I definitely understand the idea of wanting something like this to meet up on a whim, and I certainly won't tell you what to do, but there are several liability factors involved with the location sharing that mean that the group can't formally adopt this as a communication method. If people want to do this on your own, by all means go for it, but it's not something I can ever post about to share.

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572435 - 5 years ago

Yeah, that's why I am trying to test it and a few other services, because I don't want there to be any lack of control over data being visible. I am open to alternate ideas though, and I'm leaning more towards trawling through and trying to figure out what cities and towns are central to clusters of people and then encouraging group messaging options like Skype or kik for those in range of those locations.

• JDSchu

JDSchu FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold That Guy

#32572436 - 5 years ago

I'm a huge fan of GroupMe. It's just a group messaging service that's cross-platform and more or less ties to your phone number texting service. Works on any smartphone.
    It isn't automatic, and it doesn't let you know when there are people nearby or anything, but it would be a MUCH easier way to get quick messages out than coming here, posting up, and waiting for others to see it. Simple as "Hey, I'm going to this concert at Soaring Eagle tonight- anybody else in Mt. P today?"

You can mute notifications for the app for up to twelve hours at a time in the app itself (or indefinitely, and you can just check it periodically), so if you're at work, sleeping, on a hot date, etc, you can mute it. If you're like me, and you've got multiple other groups in the app already, you can mute individual groups too.

Might be too involved, and it does require a smartphone/at least one person in the group to have your phone number to add you to the group, but it's otherwise very simple.
    I've used it on my RA staff in college, for multiple church groups, and for communication with business partners spread across the country.

Just a couple cents from this guy. ;)

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572437 - 5 years ago

In reply to JRok, #4:

When you are added to the group is your number then visibile to the rest of the group? I have no issues handing out my own number, but I am sure there are some who would rather not have more than a few select know their number

• JDSchu

JDSchu FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold That Guy

#32572438 - 5 years ago

In reply to RocketDown, #5:

As best I can tell, there's no way to view phone numbers of members of the group. I've gone into the members list on one of my groups, and tapping them just opens up the P2P messaging. "View User" still just opens the P2P chat. Can't see any way to get phone numbers, but it might not hurt if others explored it too. Extra sets of eyes and all.

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572439 - 5 years ago

In reply to JRok, #6:

Definitely worth exploring, I'll download it right away and try to break it

• Halostruct

Halostruct

#32572440 - 5 years ago

In reply to JRok, #4:

I met the RTNY group while I was at RTX, and they use group me. They added me to their chat so I got to experience it first hand. It made meet ups while we were down there 100x easier. I definitely recommend it

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572441 - 5 years ago

In reply to Halostruct, #8:

It is looking like the most obvious option. I am finding that anyone in the group could edit the general settings of the group like name and avatar, so there is that risk, but I feel we could all remain mature.enough to not change anything to dicks or name the group to "diesel sluts" still gonna test it a bit more, I've conscripted my friend into helping me against his will so I've gotta abuse him a bit more before I can get behind this totally

• JDSchu

#32572442 - 5 years ago

Goodness. "Diesel Sluts"? Well now that has to happen. #TeamDieselSluts

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572443 - 5 years ago

In reply to JRok, #10:

Maybe we can get sponsored by sunoco lol

So far this app is perfect. Push notifications aren't working for me, and because I created the test group I have a giant share option taking up half my screen, so if @lolzelda wanted to be the primary person in charge she would want to make an alt account just for group creation.

Post edited 7/11/14 3:50PM

• JDSchu

#32572444 - 5 years ago

For the record (to anyone not involved in testing this to see if we could break it into revealing personal contact info for members), this worked out really well. We couldn't get phone numbers or anything from the app, even though it does run through SMS texting platforms already on the phones. It has a mute function to stop push notifications for a set amount of time (i.e. four hours for sleeping or eight hours for Netflix marathons) or indefinitely, so message overload is easily curbed. It's super intuitive for new users, and although it does run in the background, the battery drain isn't prohibitive to normal use of a smartphone by any means.

We have proof of concept. Now it's just a matter of whether or not we want to adopt something like this as the group continues to grow and we have more events like today's that involve dozens of people all trying to get somewhere from around the state. It's easier to pop up groupme than the RT Michigan Forum when you're flying down 96 East at 85mph. Or 70mph for that matter.

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572445 - 5 years ago

yeah, what he said. it also loads the chat history so even if you're asleep and things blow up you can read back and see what was said, and you can even use it to poll for a common meeting spot via the "like" hearts, which allows you to like a message and it will keep count of how many likes it has. It still needs to be determined how this would be used, whether as a means of organizing short notice events or just as a general message board for finding people with nothing to do, though the latter might require localized groups to make it more effective.

• JDSchu

#32572446 - 5 years ago

The way I saw it, it could even be as simple as the message that went out today. "Hey, is there a rally point for the event today?"

There's a lot that can be done with it.

• RocketDown

RocketDown

#32572447 - 5 years ago

In reply to JRok, #14:

yeah, I don't think all of us use twitter and I don't remember hearing anything about the suggested parking location, that would have been good to know before I had gotten there