Forums > RT Secret Santa

2014 Event Chat

Posts (26)

• LoZelda

LoZelda FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Supposedly An Adult

#32700304 - 4 years ago

Hi all!

This is where you can chat, regardless of region, about the Secret Santa event! Thank people, talk about how awesome your gift was, leave some suggestions for improvement for next year, whatever floats your boat! Just keep it appropriate and related to the Secret Santa smiley1.gif

Note: along the lines of suggestions for next year, we are aware some people didn't like that it wasn't so "secret" since you included your RT username. The reason that was requested was because last year the number 1 complaint we had was that no one knew who had gifted to who, and not enough people participated in the post-exchange chats to figure it out. This was the only real solution to that we could come up with.

• Desayjin

Desayjin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Guardian Emeritus

#32700305 - 4 years ago

I liked sharing the RT names. I think it's a great way to connect people in the community who may not normally communicate. Other than that I enjoyed the experience.

• PsychoNezumi

PsychoNezumi FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Liz

#32700306 - 4 years ago

I like sharing the RT names too. Not only are we giving and receiving gifts, we also get the chance to meet new people in the community. I think that's worth spoiling the secret.

• trisaratops

trisaratops FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold proper adult

#32700308 - 4 years ago

I had a blast! My giftee sent me a photo to show that her breakable gift arrived safely, despite the box being absolutely trashed by the postal system. I'm still not sure who sent me a gift, since it came directly from Hanabee, but if it was you, thanks!

Huge thanks to the admins for all that behind the scenes organising and communicating with everyone though, that would have been a massive task all of its own!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, enjoy your Summer/Winter vacation time!

• lancer820

lancer820

#32700309 - 4 years ago

Duh fuq, so yesterday my package arrived in the state of my recipient, just looked back it's now left the state. Yesterday was my estimated arrival. Quit fuckin up USPS.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#32700310 - 4 years ago

I forgot to put a card in the package I sent to my recipient smiley2.gif

So I'm going to go to their profile and expose myself!

um, I mean reveal that I was her Santa....

• LoZelda

LoZelda FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Supposedly An Adult

#32700311 - 4 years ago

In reply to SailorGirl81, #7:

After all those questions about the interpretive dance you didn't even put in a card?! I am disappoint.

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#32700312 - 4 years ago

In reply to LoZelda, #8:

I was distracted by the mental choreography of the dance I was GOING to do....

• TreyD

TreyD FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Ender Queen

#32700313 - 4 years ago

Shout out to @xLilcubbie25 for being an awesome Santa! She got me a Keychain with Levi from attack on titan and season 12 of RvB! I already have the keychain on my keys and I can't wait to get time to watch my bluray! Thank you girl!

• Bluesfan316

Bluesfan316

#32700314 - 4 years ago

In reply to lancer820, #6:

And they wonder why they are slowly going out of business...

• LadyOddDuck

LadyOddDuck

#32700315 - 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say it's been a pleasure being an admin for this group! Big thank you to @LoZelda for the opportunity and thank you all for being awesome Santas!

I hope you all have a merry Christmas and enjoy the gifts your Santas sent you! smiley12.gif

• Uberboard3

Uberboard3

#32700316 - 4 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that my secret santa is the best, and I give you all permission to be jealous. I got an amazing Fairy Tail art print as well as some Kill La Kill stickers. Also, a really cool notepad for experiments that I swear I won't fill with drawings of dicks. From one scientist to another, thank you @maryssas. You are pretty much the greatest.

• Fizz

Fizz

#32700317 - 4 years ago

Got some sweet l00t from @HardcoreYork

Fizz548c102649c4a.jpg

• rachyrock

rachyrock FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Goddess of Noms

#32700318 - 4 years ago

This being my first year, I thought that including the usernames was a great way for the giftee to know who their gift was from, whenever they decided to open it! And my Santa was super sweet, I love the Blake plushie he sent me smiley1.gif

A possible suggestion for next year, if it hasn't been discussed in previous years & is feasible - sharing with the giftee the tracking number of the gift that is coming our way? I realize that that would be another burden for the mods (a big THANK YOU for all you did to make this year run so smoothly!), but it might help those with weird work/school schedules be able to better plan to receive their gift. Just a thought!

• LoZelda

#32700319 - 4 years ago

In reply to rachyrock, #15:

I don't know about the other admins, but I actually only got a tracking number from about 50% of the people I was in charge of keeping an eye on. The rest sent other varying forms of proof they had shipped their gift. It'd be kind of hard to share info we're not getting!

I'm not sure what you mean by "better plan to receive their gift", so I can't offer any other alternative beyond the initial "make sure we have your preferred shipping address" rather than you exact current address. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears smiley1.gif

• LadyOddDuck

LadyOddDuck

#32700320 - 4 years ago

In reply to LoZelda, #16:

I actually heard from one of my elves that it was weird not having a tracking number for their own gift. I got quite a few tracking numbers as proof so I can see it being a possibility next year.

• PsychoNezumi

PsychoNezumi FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Liz

#32700321 - 4 years ago

I think if you have the tracking number for a package you can either ask for it to be delivered on a certain time or day or opt to pick it up at the post office if you wont be home when it gets there. That might be what she meant by better plan to receive the gift.

• Fizz

Fizz

#32700322 - 4 years ago

In reply to rachyrock, #15:

I actually didn't use a tracking number. With a distance of just 20 km between us, it hardly seemed worth it. Otherwise I might've delivered it myself.

• rachyrock

rachyrock FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Goddess of Noms

#32700323 - 4 years ago

From the outside looking in, that's the kind of data I didn't know, and you're right - you can't share what you don't have!

PsychoNezumi is on the right track. With the tracking number, someone would be able to see when their package is "out for delivery" and request that it be held at a nearby location, or held for delivery on another date/time. Also, I just enjoy seeing the path items take to come to my door.

• macciephelps

macciephelps FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32700324 - 4 years ago

I liked the addition of the username, as last year, I had no idea, who sent me something, and even through posting pictures nobody came forward, so to add a username I can directly thanks was good for me. I think the Tracking number is just another way to prove that someone has actually taken part so all good. I can't think of anything that can make it better [at this stage] My experiences have been very positive, both last year and this] It was definitely an improvement having more time to find gifts than last year, so the earlier the better, as I remember last year having to find something very complicated on about 4 days notice before the shipping deadline, so to be more relaxed and keep looking once a gift idea was possible is very good.

• LoZelda

#32700325 - 4 years ago

In reply to macciephelps, #21:

Glad you've had a positive experience both years! The idea came together sort of last minute last year, hence the shorter time frame. We were just as glad as you were to have extra time to appropriately plan for this year!!

• Rudyro

Rudyro

#32700326 - 4 years ago

In reply to LadyOddDuck, #17:

I didn't use a tracking number either. The thing is, at least in my country, the cost of sending something internationally (even EU) with a tracking number is pretty expensive so I prefer buying something with that money and send it as a voluminous letter (word-by-word translation) which costs depending on the weight - they just put more stamps on the packages.
    In case there are problems with the address I always put my full address and postal code so it can return safely.
    I guess it all depends on each country's postal system.

• Jesster642

Jesster642 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32700327 - 4 years ago

I had a problem with the tracking not working on international deliveries for some reason

• LoZelda

#32700328 - 4 years ago

In reply to scottster246, #24:

Yeah that can get a little fuzzy sometimes, just because of the way different countries handle mail. That's part of the reason why we just use it as proof that it's been sent rather than sending it along to recipients; it's too unreliable to be, well, relied upon haha.

• Jesster642

Jesster642 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32700329 - 4 years ago

In reply to LoZelda, #25:

Tracking numbers are pretty useless, usually the thing actually gets to you before the tracking works
    I just hope it got to her alright, wouldn't want someone thinking they got left out