Forums > RT Secret Santa

RT Community Secret Santa FAQ

Posts (9)

• LoZelda

LoZelda FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Supposedly An Adult

#33362572 - 2 years ago

Is this the Official Secret Santa that Rooster Teeth runs?

Nope! While Rooster Teeth launched their own version of Secret Santa in 2016, this group was started in 2013 and is run completely by volunteers from the community.

I have a question about how the Secret Santa exchange works!

If you need to know about this community exchange, you're in the right place! Keep on reading, and if your question isn't covered here, ask it in the thread! If you need to know about the company-run exchange, we can't really help. They are totally separate from us, and we don't know anything about it. Likewise, they can't answer any questions about ours!

Can I do both this Secret Santa and the company one?

Absolutely! Each exchange has different sign up procedures and different expectations, so be sure you know what you're agreeing to in each case.

Oh no! I missed the deadline/didn't respond to the information request in time! Can I still join?

Unfortunately, we can't add any latecomers. We have a strict deadline because we need to match people up to assignments and get them sent out quickly so people have enough time to do their shopping. Once we make all the matches, we can't add someone in since there are no open assignments left. We're sorry! To make sure it doesn't happen again, make sure you're actually following the group, and you'll get a notification when we open up next year.

Why do I have to put my name on the gift? Isn't it supposed to be a secret?

The very first year we did it in true "secret" fashion and didn't ask anyone to put their name on their gift, under the impression that once people got to talking they'd be able to figure out who their Santa was (as is usual for Secret Santa type exchanges). Instead, a lot of people went silent, so the majority of people never figured out who their Santa was, or if their assignments had ever actually gotten their present and/or liked it. Since then, we implemented the rule that you need to indicate who you are so we can avoid that confusion and disappointment. There's still plenty of mystery to be had!

I'm ordering something from the RT Store/somewhere else that doesn't let me leave a note. What do I do?

You have a couple of choices, and which way you do it is completely up to you. 1) Have it sent to you, then repackage it and ship it yourself. 2) Have it shipped directly to your person, then mail a separate card. 3) Have it shipped directly to your person, then send them a PM here on the site after you see it has been delivered.

Why are there minimum/recommended/maximum gift costs listed?

It's an effort to keep everything fair. You can always go above and beyond if you really want to, but we like to establish an expectation to limit anyone feeling like they got the short end of the stick. For instance if you went and sent your person some epic $100 gift, and in return your Santa just sent you a really cool card, you could feel like you got shorted. Some of you would probably still be okay with that! But we know some people wouldn't, so this is a measure of protection against that.

Can I hand-make something?

Totally! Some people really enjoy making stuff, and some people really enjoy getting hand-made items! We ask you to use your best judgment on what is appropriate as a homemade gift, both in terms of the expected cost thresholds and the recipient. We do ask you avoid sending homemade food items, as you never really know what someone's allergies may be. While nothing says "Merry Christmas" quite like a trip to the ER, we'd prefer you don't risk sending community members to the hospital.

Help! I have no idea what to get my person!

Do your best with the information you have. If their likes/dislikes aren't enough to go off of, try looking at their RT profile or search for a Twitter/Tumblr profile. Still no ideas? Try going to Etsy and searching for one of their likes! The creative people of this world come up with some pretty good ideas that may not have even occurred to you and can at least set you down a path to explore. The important part is that you try; it truly is the thought that counts!

I missed the shipping deadline! Am I in trouble?

We understand that sometimes life gets in the way. The shipping deadline is set so that gifts have time to make it to their people before Christmas Day. If you miss it, let your admin know ASAP. Bonus points if you're able to tell them when you expect it to be shipped. Be sure you follow up with the tracking number once you do get it shipped! If you totally skip out and do not send a gift as promised you end up on the naughty list (yes, we do actually have a naughty list), which bans you from future participation in the community exchange.

It's December 25 and I still haven't gotten my gift. What gives?

Shipping speeds tend to slow around the holidays, and there's always the possibility that something was held up elsewhere along the pipeline. Do not fret! Have some patience, and if you still haven't received anything when the new year hit (and you haven't already been contacted to say "hey, your thing is coming"), send your admin a message and they'll check into it. 

• dhepburn634

dhepburn634

#33365682 - 2 years ago

is anyone else not receiving the email? I have signed up on time but still nothing. is it a problem on my end or what? thank you

• ktshaymiller

ktshaymiller FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33365710 - 2 years ago

In reply to dhepburn634 If you're referring to the company secret Santa I haven't gotten an email either. :( still waiting though!!

• LoZelda

LoZelda FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Supposedly An Adult

#33365722 - 2 years ago

@dhepburn634

You seem to be referring to the *company* sponsored Secret Santa exchange. As the first FAQ point states, this group is for the *community* run exchange. We have no information and can provide no assistance for issues with the one RT proper is running this year. You need to contact questions@roosterteeth.com

• dhepburn634

dhepburn634

#33368617 - 2 years ago

In reply to ktshaymiller ok thank you that make sure me feel a little better. I have done everything that any community member has told me and gotten no response from the roosterteeth email so I guess I'll just wait

• ktshaymiller

ktshaymiller FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33369592 - 2 years ago

In reply to dhepburn634 I sent an email to them on the 3rd and I just received my match today. So there's hope!

• dhepburn634

dhepburn634

#33369638 - 2 years ago

In reply to ktshaymiller it literally just came to me so im golden. thanks for the helpIn reply to ktshaymiller

• gi_goku

gi_goku FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Tacos

#33410714 - 2 years ago

What if it is Christmas Eve and the gift has yet to show up?

• LoZelda

#33411242 - 2 years ago

In reply to gi_goku

That is the last point of the FAQ and has already been covered.