Forums > RTX Austin 2019

Advice for RTX first timers!

Posts (15)

• kriss

kriss FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Community Manager

#33750768 - 6 months ago

We have a looooooot of veteran RTX attendees. Share some insightful tips and advice for those who are coming to the show for the first time! 

• JKShulenburg

JKShulenburg FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Jeffles the Great

#33750900 - 6 months ago

1) Have a plan, but be loose enough to alter it. My first trip to RTX was in 2016. I went in with a plan, scheduled out all the panels I wanted to see with ample time between to negotiate lines and make sure I had a seat. Then came the great metal detector disasters of 2016. The lines on day 1 were completely out of whack around the expo hall. The delay which cost me my first panel, actually meant I lucked into a RWBY panel I never meant to visit and I missed achievement hunter to do that, but because of that was first in line for RVB. 

So its always good to have a plan of what you want to do. But if you dont get in, or something happens to get in the way, take a chance to go to something you wouldnt have thought to go to. Some of my best experiences there were at the smaller panels I hadnt planned on going to.As a related note, dont expect to show up to something 5 minutes before it starts and get in. It happens, but its rare. If you want to go to something, get there EARLY.

2) Talk to people. Everyone is there because they have at least 1 thing in common with you. Talk to the guy at the stop light. Start a conversation in line for a panel. Check your local RT community groups facebook or discord and see if other people from where you are from are hanging out. Dont be a loner. 

3) Dont expect to meet your favorite RT people on the floor like they did in 2012. They are constantly moving from panel to panel, they do so behind closed doors more often than not. Keep in mind that there will be 65,000 people there With that said, keep an eye out for people you dont think as much about. I got to meet Shannon Mccormick on the sidewalk having a smoke. I met Patrick Rodriguez walking into the convention center from a side road. You may get lucky like I did and meet Michael and Lindsey leaving for their car while I was on my way to the bar after the convention closed, but dont plan your whole trip around it. Just keep your eyes peeled. And always be respectful when you get your chances.They are not obligated to hang out if they have had a long day or have somewhere to be.

4) Be nice to everyone. As we have heard on several past podcasts, the person in cosplay you are being mean to might be someone from RT.

5) Respect your guardians. Things go wrong (like the aforementioned metal detector disaster from RTX 2016), your guardians likely dont have control over them all the time. Remember, they have volunteered to work the whole weekend so you can have a good time. No, they cant let you in side doors, let you jump lines or get into panels early just because you are nice. 

6) See the city. There are plenty of cool bars on congress just 2 blocks away. Take a walk and see some stuff. Ill definitely be making a run to P Terrys myself once I get off shift as a guardian

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#33751306 - 5 months ago

Be respectful, wear deodorant (Texas in July is HOT), have a plan of what panels/events you want to see and map out places you want to go in the city.

• ToriJCaboose

ToriJCaboose FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33751350 - 5 months ago

My biggest piece of advice is my biggest regret. Take time to explore outside of the Convention center. I didn't go to any community events and I didn't explore the city. I'm really sad I didnt' take that time to make friends and see more things. Make the time to explore and get out a little bit.

Don't over plan but HAVE a plan. Knowing my days were all worked out really helped me. I had to change it quite often and I wasn't always able to go to the panels I wanted but even a rough plan helps.

Explore the exhibit hall, it was amazing.

Bring water. Lots of water. Like a river. A whole lake. Drink it all, you need it.

Don't over do it. It's easy to become overwhelmed with the choices. It may be dissapointing to miss something but it isn't worth hurting yourself. Take a break, take a nap, go sit down. Let yourself rest or you'll be to tired to continue.

Just have fun!! It will be an absolute blast!

• danygee92

danygee92 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Dancecore N3rd

#33751395 - 5 months ago

In reply to ToriJCaboose 

thanks for all the tips.  blush

i have mostly planned out, the main things i want to do and see.

i hope the ultra badge will help with the time management.  grin

i'm gonna arrive on the 1st, so i should have some time to explore Austin, before the campus tour starts.

it's still january and i'm super hyped already.  raised_hands

can't wait to meet you all. (community members and rt staff)  yang 

• ToriJCaboose

ToriJCaboose FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33751397 - 5 months ago

In reply to danygee92

Awesome!!! And definitely be sure to download the app because you can create a schedule there. It isnt live yet, but they will tweet when it is. Also follow the rt lines Twitter page and RTX event. They help tremendously!

My friend got the Ultra too and is so excited!

• kriss

kriss FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Community Manager

#33751401 - 5 months ago

In reply to danygee92

When the schedule is released, I would make a plan B in case you won't be able to see something you want to. The show is always jam packed, and it's impossible to see eeeeeeeeverything you want, so mark priorities and have a ton of fun! 

• danygee92

danygee92 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Dancecore N3rd

#33751402 - 5 months ago

In reply to ToriJCaboose

that sounds great.   thumbsup

yes, i already downloaded the app and follow the sites on twitter.

so i hope, i should be covered  grin

• danygee92

#33751403 - 5 months ago

In reply to kriss

thanks for the heads up  blush

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Logics

#33751421 - 5 months ago

Six year vet, answering the call.

The introduction of community events into the official schedule was a complete game changer. This is where a lot of the stuff you’ll remember for years to come happens.

- Expect RT World to reprise/re-release their guide to the city/con this year. Or just find the last one. I’ll find the page if you want.

- There’s always the little grocery (Royal Blue) on Brazos, if you’re hungry. Little pricey, but always good. And importantly, it’s close by.

- Stash food in your hotel/loft/bnb. Nothing worse than getting back there and realizing you’re starving. 

- Chocolate. No, I’m serious. Really helps.

- Bat watching is a thing and you really should go see it.

- Your swag bag is your friend. Whether you expect to or not, extra loot happens. Have a bag for it.

- Be nice to cosplayers. Enough said.

- Talk to people in lines! This is how you make friends for the whole weekend. Bringing a pack of MDB or CAH will make you very popular.

• ToriJCaboose

#33751426 - 5 months ago

In reply to Ratatoskr

Oh god, the swag bag. It was so insanely handy last year!

• MandeelovesCHURCH

MandeelovesCHURCH FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold MandeelovesCHURCH

#33752496 - 5 months ago

I hope this helps:

1 > Bring a refillable water bottle.  There are water stations, so use them!  The heat is a killer!!!!  Last year, liquids were not allowed inside the ACC for the first time.  But you can bring snacks (unless this changes this year). I pack protein snacks like powerups, nuts, seeds, granola, mini cereal packs, or fruit.  If you're a Weekend + and above there will be a lounge where some snacks and drinks are (some for free others for purchase); however it, in years prior has not be centrally located so bring a few small snacks for your day.

2 > Look for and follow the RTX Q&A and Guidelines post that Jackie (@kriss) and the Events Team work very hard to compile.   I believe @Patrick (if memory serves) posted it last year.  That is a plethora of information for you new ones.  Last year, a map was posted showing metal detector lines for entry into the ACC.  I maybe a veteran, but I still use the Q&A!

3 > Bring deodorant and an extra change of clothes, just in case!  You never know when that delicious giant slice of pizza from lunch drips a bit of sauce and has you smelling not-so-pretty by 2 pm!  Again, the heat is a killer!  I bring extra socks,  as well, because stinky is stinky,  and no ones wants to smell that!  Wear comfortable shoes!

4 > Plan, plan, and plan!  Once the schedule comes out, decide what 3 musts you want each day and plan the rest of RTX around those.  Hubby and I print out the schedules (including autograph times) and make a Plan A, a Plan B, and backup plan.  Even plan when you are going to eat!  I know it sounds like a "duh!" but you really get caught up in the excitement and pleasure of RTX and things like "eating lunch" and walk time from ACC to the JW slip your mind.  Once you have figured out what your plan is, add it to your RT app schedule to help you.  I add 2 backups for panels that I "might" see, in case there isn't time to make it, or it's full, or I'm super grrr face from hunger.  For my "must" panels, I schedule nothing 2 hours+ before said panel so I do not miss it!  You can also add your friends schedules in app so you can have a line buddy, at times!

5 > Be patient and kind, especially to the Guardians!  Everyone is there for the exact same reason as you - RT!  Getting annoyed because @RTLines (Twitter and app) says RWBY panel 25% capped while you're in Camp Camp doesn't change the line queuing.   Being rude to others when they have no control over the situation makes everyone around you unable to enjoy the content they came to see.  Guardians are AWESOME SAUCE, so please don't yell at or be rude to them for panels, lines, etc.  Without them, we could not attend/enjoy RTX!  They are not able to see panels they want or join in Cosplay Contest because they are handling RTX needs.  Not only do they have their assignment,  but they are also in charge of helping attendees questions and issues, aiding disabled attendees (including me in finding the closest quiet room), meeting RT and/or exhibitor needs, PLUS, they handle schedule changes on the fly, the ENTIRE weekend!  They deserve a smile! 

6 > Make friends with people in line queuing!  Line buddies are super fun!  [If you are unsure what line queuing is: it is the line you're in before the line you wait in before the panel]  Since some lines (Off Topic, RWBY, autographs) are 2 hours long at most, making friends with those around you helps keeps your mind happy!  If you're shy, try smiling at someone or a little wave so a talker can begin a conversation with you!  Time drags in some long lines, but a line buddy helps!

7 > Remember to have fun!!!!!  There is no way you can do everything or meet everyone!  If you could, you wouldn't come back year after year!  This year's experience will be so terrific, and no other year will be like it!  This is true for years past - each one unique and amazing; RT just keeps expanding!  Enjoy the world of RT!  Watch some center stage events!  Explore the exhibit hall!  Check out some of the city!  Taste Austin!!!!!  Have fun!!!!!  The best part of RTX is being apart of it!!!!!!!

I hope this helps someone!  I realize it is very long.  I just wanted to pass along the things I learned others!  Love to all yous guys!  Here's to another wonderful RTXA!!!!

• lexileftt

lexileftt FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold MemeQueen, VineStar, Gua

#33752755 - 5 months ago

This year will be my 3rd RTX, 2nd as a guardian! My first year as an attendee I went alone, and it was amazing. Some tips I have are, previously mentioned but oh well: 

1. bring a water bottle, theres stations to fill up bottles outside the entrance to the expo hall. Maybe bring your DS or switch too to kill time between panels, get some street passes.

2. leave a little space in your suitcase for sweet merch! I love supporting artist alley and there is some super cool posters and stickers and stuffs that other community members made!

3. Be open and willing to make friends. Everyone here has one thing in common that we love and its Rooster Teeth. You never know if you'll meet your newest best friends or potential lover ;)

4. Along that, join some community groups and make friends before the event. That way theres friendly faces waiting with you for the On The Spot panel. Follow @RTW_Community on twitter to find the groups that click with you. There's lots of discords and groups JUST for RT fans.

5. Sidequest. Events outside the convention center: Lets Play Live, Concerts, community meet-ups, anything.

6. Just remember that theres a lot of people and not as many RT staff, and you should (imo) shift your goal to making friends and meeting a few personalities versus seeking out every RT Staff and taking up a lot of their time. They want to meet as many people as they can, just like you! 

At the end of the day the RT Community is one big family, and RTX is our family reunion. We all love each other and you'll find your crew. It is just important to remember to be respectful and friendly. Hopefully I'll see ya'll throughout the weekend :)

• illyria250

illyria250 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Just a Gym Teacher

#33754192 - 4 months ago

6 year veteran here, not making it this year, but in my past experience the best way to get notifications about anything is to follow RTX and Rooster Teeth on Twitter. That is where the majority of announcements and updates will be leading up to RTX. During RTX definitely follow RTX Lines on Twitter too because they will let you know when panels are starting and how full they are. A lot of other stuff was covered that comes to mind. I will add more when it comes to me or if anyone ever wants to talk one-on-one please message me!

• Noway_its_DJ

Noway_its_DJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758360 - 1 month ago

1. Don't Panic

2. Have fun

3. Talk to people, if you want to that is, remember everyone has something in common with you, I've met so many great friends in lines, on the show floor, out and about, everywhere at RTX, THIS IS WHY I KEEP GOING.

4. If you don't meet or see your favorite RT personality refer to number one and then refer to number 2 and then refer to number 3.