Forums > RvBOR

Rant, Rave, Suggest

Posts (11)

• antisparkle

antisparkle

#31306149 - 7 years ago

Now that the official events have come to a close, it's time to review and start the process of making next year even better. And we can't do that without feedback from the fine folks who were in attendance.

So let us know about what you liked (and want to see more of), what you didn't like or didn't go so well and any ideas or suggestions about things you would like to see next year!

• TCXX17872A

TCXX17872A

#31306150 - 7 years ago

My only real complaint was not really getting to know anyone. I know there was the pizza dinner thing, but I wasn't able to attend that...so maybe there could be some kind of ice breaker? Like the Name Game or something. : )

• reaper86

reaper86

#31306151 - 7 years ago

In reply to TCXX17872A, #2:

I agree with this. I knew a couple people there already, but I feel as if I didn't get a chance to really connect with a lot of the people. I know that partially is due to my busy schedule surrounding the event, but if we could plan some kind of group activity that gets us conversing without food or sitting in a theater, I think that'd be great!

Regardless, I still had a blast and enjoyed the weekend VERY much!

• mdccclv

mdccclv

#31306152 - 7 years ago

Ditto with the meeting people thing. Ideally, after we meet and greet we could have a video showing concurrent with some social/normal con activities so people can wander back and forth.

I like the bar idea but we need to have something more central so people can mingle and congregate freely. I think having the whole thing on-site would be preferable too, I like to just relax and wander in and out, without worrying about moving locus or finding people. I don't know what kind of spot would be best. I didn't get the feel that anyone else was a hardcore audiophile either so just having a projector with speakers is an option instead of needing a official theatre. A dow-ntowny location, or somewhere with food and coffee nearby would be nice too so we can leave and take a break easily. Somewhere secluded or closed off from other, you know, normal people would be nice too so we can embrace our nerdiness.

Anyway, Cheers and I hope everyone had a blast!

• TCXX17872A

TCXX17872A

#31306153 - 7 years ago

In reply to Reaper86, #3:

I should talk to my RA from last year and get a list of ice breakers/games to play, because if university has taught me anything, it's that playing silly games that let you make fun of yourself and cementing solid details/facts about yourself is a really awesome way to get others more interested in conversation and being more social. : ) Or just have social hour and let me sit there and tell stories, I have stories for everything, hahaha.

• TCXX17872A

TCXX17872A

#31306154 - 7 years ago

In reply to mdccclv, #4:

Or just places of interest, like antique malls, or Chinatown, or even the Saturday Market if it's held in Portland. Let people form groups and encourage the exchanging of phone numbers and email addresses and promote topics made on the forums so people can brainstorm more. :D

• TCXX17872A

TCXX17872A

#31306155 - 7 years ago

Oh man, am I posting a lot. But this legit woke me up at seven something in the morning, so I need to post it before I fall back asleep. Forgive spelling errors, I have no glasses on.

I really enjoyed the egg hunt, and wish it had been a little longer. What I was thinking that, if the event is three days, perhaps there could be a three day scavenger hunt! If there are three mods in charge of the event, give each mod a day, have them give their first clue at midnight, and turn it into a combination internet/location hunt- say that the person or persons (if you allow teams of at least two, max three or four) must send you a link to something in a private message, to keep it level, and then, while at the location(s) for that day's events, they must find three to five physical items relating to that clue! At the end of the day, you could give the three teams or persons who had most completed that mod's list mini prizes and the chance to win a bigger prize during the closing ceremonies of the last day of RvB:OR, like if we close out with another meal. But it would be good to keep the questions/items accessible for people who can't afford to get a sponsership or to buy the DVDs- I know I can't personally afford either thing, and I don't see that being the case in the near future, either.

Also, question: can we make an estimated list of costs to better prepare for the future? I know I'm one of those people that's really good about saving money if I have an guesstimated list of general expenses, and I bet others are too. : ) Okay, back to bed, now, it's way too early to be awake right now.

• MissZahrah

MissZahrah FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#31306156 - 7 years ago

Considering CanWest began with a group getting drunk at Luke's place and watching RvB, I'd say we are off to a bang-up start! Now that those in charge have a feel for how things work and what considerations to make, I can't imagine the next RvB:OR being anything but pure win and sex awesome! Thanks so much for making it great, even if I could only be there for one day of it~

Next year, I think a proper trivia game would be SWEET! (I love trivia... since I"m sure no one could tell... >.>)

Also, can you order cooler weather?

As for ideas, while sit-down restaurants are nice for, y'know, eating, they don't really lend to mingling too well. Perhaps more of a pub-type (age friendly) locale for a first day/night meet-up that would allow for greater interaction between people. Even if it's a proper restaurant, renting a whole room instead of just reserving tables would really go a long way, I think, in helping the socialization.

I'm also a little sad I didn't get to meet more people, but as I was only able to be there for Saturday, it's probably more my fault.

The egg-hunt was a great touch! Got all us geeky types out in the fresh air being active, and - of course - competitive. smiley8.gif

Thanks to all who helped organize and run the show! You are all my heroes! smiley12.gif

Post edited 8/29/11 10:36PM

• DJOleman

DJOleman FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#31306157 - 7 years ago

we could do some gaming related stuff. like playing horse games or other types of matches. I've never been to any RVB events but even if its RVB centered games of some sort would probably give alot of people a chance to chat while they do it.

• Garyn

Garyn

#31306158 - 7 years ago

So, has the location for 2012's RvBOR been decided yet? I know it said it would be announced next month, but I was just curious what was being considered.

• BaghdadBean

BaghdadBean

#31306159 - 7 years ago

In reply to Garyn, #10:

The location won't be set until the date is set, for booking reasons.

In reply to DJOleman, #9:

There WILL be games. Lots of them. They will involve teams, prizes, and much silliness.