Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (84918)

• PandaBrady

PandaBrady

#33733997 - 1 week ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

I have a character that uses a Lance. I have her able to use Teleportation Glyphs to build up momentum.

I think if your character's Lance has a ride mode that could work. Like a Shield and Lance that go together to form a horse-like bike maybe? Or you have the real horse but it is covered in armor. 

My final idea to help you is the semblance creates a second pair of legs (semi coporeal) that allow them to carry heavier loads, run faster, and kick harder.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33734034 - 1 week ago

So any opinions on my characters? I spaced things out as recommended.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues

#33734036 - 1 week ago

In reply to sumthindarkside My main thought is that you went a little heavy on the tragic childhoods. I get that it's a valid option, but giving three of the four so much childhood loss and/or tragedy is a bit of a turn-off. To make things worse, the only one without a particularly tragic backstory is a rather generic young Indiana Jones clone. You definitely need to sit down and expand on Esteban, and you might want to pick one of the others and try to brighten up the backstory a bit. Also, you need to break up the individual sections into paragraphs too when they get long. You've got a few blocks of text that are the size of my hand, and those uber-paragraphs just don't flow very well. Sorry if it seems like I'm being a grammar Nazi, but it will really help.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33734038 - 1 week ago

Okay. I've been wanting to colour in Esteban for a while. 

I know I went in for tragic backstories, but these classics are not exactly known for their cheery disposition. Heidi is semi-tragic, but more of a fact of life. I know I have to take my interpretation of these characters, and I've worked hard to colour in Heidi and Thomas. With Hunters, there's going to be an essence of "why go on the journey?" The call to action, as Joseph Campbell would put it. There are elements to bring them to life. Remi's original story is about a boy that learns how to live the life of a minstrel, but is met with tragedy after tragedy. This world isn't as cheerful as other fantasy worlds. With Salem and the grimm running around, not to mention the entire Faunus plot points, as shown in season 3, the peace that was established was a bit of a shaky peace. The entirety of team RWBY has a tragedy or another. Blake has her history with Adam and the White Fang that haunts her. Weiss has her political ass of a father, and she is caught in the middle of his political games, and being a target of Faunus terrorist cells. Yang has deep abandonment issues, and RWBY was raised by her father and her uncle. (Who avoids them for extended periods of time because of his semblance, and his history with Raven... Not that I can blame him on that last point) With Salem's appearance, death, destruction and chaos is out there. Sometimes it's those moments in between that give so much joy between characters, and how they respond to events around them. (Look at how Jaune grieves over Pyrrha's death... that's good characterization.) 

The argument I'm making is that if one is making a character with an allusion to a story, myth or other material (as is common within the world of RWBY) I have to consider the tone of the source material. Mysterious Cities of Gold is more of a Swashbuckling Indiana Jones style of adventure from the times of the Spanish Conquistadors. Remi Nobody's Child is a french story about how a boy confronts the difficult issues of the world around him that he can't control. in the french song, he sings that he doesn't have a family, and his family is the one he chose. Heidi has a story about healing those around her, and how much love can overcome hatred. (hence why her story isn't necessarily a tragedy, but how both her and her grandfather overcome the tragedies in their lives. It would qualify more as a classical Romance story. Classical romances were not about love, but how someone is confronted with their emotions and how they feel. Also how the character overcomes their hardships. Although Melancholy is a common theme in these stories) and Huckleberry Finn tackles the plight of discrimination and ignorance of people.  Are these characters brooding loners? No. I have no intention of making them such characters. I've had to work on their personalities for a while, and had others help me out with that. I can appreciate a good farmboy upbringing in a story (Hence why I like Oscar. He reminds me of the classical hero "Ti-Jean".) I do intend on working on Esteban to bring more light to him. The characters may have tragedies that may bring forth their reasons to fight, but as Oobleck showed, there's more to Hunters and Huntresses than battle. 

I've been told by others in this thread a few months back that I need to show a lot more details to expand on who the characters are. I do confess that the grammar nazi part is rather irritating, but I'll get over it. Rereading is required to clean up the grammar mistakes, I confess. 

Maybe if we tackle them one at a time to improve them, it would be easier. Which one would you like to tackle first?

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues

#33734043 - 1 week ago

In reply to sumthindarkside I admit the tragedy does make some sense and my dislike is at least partially personal, but you still really need to work on Esteban, because the Indy resemblance is just too close right now. Adventurer, historian, daring hero, irrational phobia. That's about all I see of Esteban right now and that makes him a dead ringer for old Jonesy. I don't know, maybe that's the standard archaeologist-adventurer type, but even then you have the issue that he's not much more than a trope. Really his personality just needs something more, I don't know how to put it. He's the one who needs the most work in my opinion.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33734047 - 1 week ago

No problem. I don't mean to go into long winded answers. I can be neurotic that way. And I can understand the preference. I don't like brooding characters, or characters that remain stagnant.

And I agree that he needs the most work. I know that I've tried to pull from the cartoon "Mysterious Cities of Gold" which is a wonderful series (I saw it in french.) but I do agree he needs more of a proper personality. Maybe go a bit more Flynn Carson (From "The Librarian") over Indiana Jones. But I don't want to clone Flynn either. Since the source material is an adventure in the indoamerican civilizations, where they avoid Spanish Conquistadors, and go into temples and pyramids to find the city of gold, for various reasons of each of the characters, I wanted to allude to that. (His weapon being of Aztec base for example) but there are ways to colour that in. 

Yeah, rereading his personality, it is definitely bland and tropey. Gotta seperate myself from anime influences. He's the one that's been giving me the most trouble on this front. 

There's a missing gap with this team. What kind of leader could pull this team in. We've got Heidi that prefers long range and support, Remi who charges in like a bruiser, We've got the whimsical Thomas that prefers precision, but gets carried away playing with his food... So what's the role that can pull them in as a well oiled machine...

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33734061 - 1 week ago

In reply to sumthindarkside

Ozpin always seemed to pick the strategists as team leaders. Ruby was the one that came up with the plan to fight the nevermore, and Jaune knew when to call in each of his future team mates skills when fighting the death stalker. My best advice is figure out which teammate would be best at thinking on their toes.

EDIT: Also, I thought you already named them? Doesn't that mean you already picked the leader? The leader initial has to go first after all.

• sumthindarkside

sumthindarkside

#33734075 - 1 week ago

I know. I'm just thinking what traits should make Esteban stand out as a leader. 

I do think there was more to it with Jaune and Ruby. The strategies were good, but it sometimes takes more to lead than good planning. A good leader does take a bit of heart. 

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33734078 - 1 week ago

In reply to sumthindarkside

I don't know then. Honestly it seems like the only reason Jaune was made team leader is because he's a strategist. I mean, looking at seasons 1 through 3, that's the only leadership quality he really seemed to show. He wasn't a good fighter, he didn't show any ability to raise team morale, in fact he frequently lowered his own (quote from season 1: "I'm a failure."). I'd say maybe an ability to connect with his teammates, but honestly I doubt that was something Ozpin considered, considering the only time we saw him observing team RWBY during the team making process, he was observing her and Weiss arguing. I think outside of the leadership quality, it's not so much a matter of what makes them a good leader, and more of a matter of how are they not a bad leader. Weiss was a control freak, Blake was secretive, Yang was too willing to get into a fight, Nora was kinda flighty, Ren was too quiet, and Pyhra...... well aside from being story line cannon fodder, she didn't seem to have the strategist quality that Jaune showed. Maybe focus less on making him a good leader, and more on making him a good person.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33734081 - 1 week ago

In reply to jVictorIn reply to Ace-of-Rogues She doesn't have a muzzle. I just fucked up the coloring and now it looks like that. It's just supposed to be striped around her mouth to make it LOOK like a muzzle. It's quite an old picture by now, but I super liked how her pose and clothing came out at the time and didn't want to redo it just for her face. I just fucking failed lmao

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33734084 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I was gonna say "everything else is fine, just that face tho." I got to reacquaint myself with the pen-and-paper struggle at RTX while drawing with just my sketchbook. There is nothing more painful than making a mistake, reflexively going for Ctrl-Z, and realizing that you're not at a keyboard.

Speaking of art, I'll be doing an art stream (first one in a looong time) on picarto if anyone is interested. I'll be starting in about 30 minutes, and working on the next few comic pages and maybe some other stuff. I'll drop a link when it starts.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33734089 - 1 week ago

In reply to jVictor I love working with my markers, but fuck if they aren't impossible to undo. I really should start getting back into digital art...I got a tablet and everything.

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33734091 - 1 week ago

Aaaaaand here's the stream:

https://picarto.tv/JohnRSoviet

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33734094 - 1 week ago

In reply to jVictor

I'm planning on learning to draw (eventually) since my friend who can draw really well said she'd be willing to help teach me a bit, but I can't do digital art because the table I got as a gift a few Christmas's back doesn't have a compatible stylus. TwT

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33734098 - 1 week ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety You should start with traditional art anyway, in my opinion. Don't start digitally. begin with the basics.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33734102 - 1 week ago

I don't have a problem starting with regular drawing. I figured for someone like me who is currently total $#!t at drawing, regular pencil and paper would be better to start with because it wouldn't involve learning all the buttons and tools and whatnot that a digital drawing program has. It's just I know how I am with my spending habits. If the money isn't going towards something practical like bills or groceries,  I just hoard it in my bank account under the "just in case" train of thought, so I'm probably never gonna get another tablet, and that means even if/when I master regular drawing, I'll never be able to move on to digital drawing, which would let me actually color in what I draw (cause I can't stand coloring something unless it's going to be exactly right).

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues

#33734113 - 1 week ago

Well, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler and I don't know anyone who could teach me, so you're all ahead of me.

• jVictor

#33734120 - 1 week ago

It's amazing how much streaming can keep me on-task:

iXUBCHc.jpg

EiS2fxY.jpg

WBskjrx.jpg

• Jwebb1115

Jwebb1115 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33734125 - 1 week ago

In reply to jVictor

Shoots fired

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33734146 - 1 week ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues Hey now, I also can't draw straight lines with a ruler. But like, literally. There's something fucked up with my sense of perspective I think because there's absolutely no way for me to make straight or neat lines.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33734162 - 1 week ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

Only reason I can draw a straight line with a ruler is because I figured out a trick of pushing the pencil tip against the edge of the ruler while drawing the line, that way I can't accidentally stray from the edge.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33734163 - 1 week ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety My hands are just impossibly shaky. It's not as bad when I take my medication though, I do draw better that way too.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33734269 - 1 week ago

Name: Doyle Delaney (DOYLE: black stranger DELANEY: black challenger)

Sex: Male

Race: Fanus Irish wolf hound

Color: Black

Allusion: Black Dog (ghost) Church Grimm 

apearencs: a tall thin man with shagy black hair a set black floppy hound ears. Amber colored eyes. Doyle usually wears an altas officer unifrom, white with gray trim and a set of black boots.. He he adds a personal touch by wearing a black scarf around his neck.

Symbol  a geometric dog head with red eyes. either black with gray lines or gray with black lines.

ucQ7eewkko3Ms3yHLOx0-zQcW-Ej3mAXc4ekUJmG

Weapon: A revolver with a long Handel. The revolver folds the gun barrel and revolver points down forming the knuckle guard. The sword blade then extends and fold out into a back sword.  for appearance these are weapons I am basing the weapon off of

Webley Fosbery Revolver

Heavy Cavalry Sword trooper Pattern

Semblances: lightning Step: Doyles body breaks down to electricity and travels as electrical current along conductive pathways. His body then reforms along the path as a person with his items. The power is a short term effect about the time it takes to take one step.  This is kind of a short burst speed and teleportation power where they travel as electricity. Doyle has developed a technique were he uses lighting dust to throw a lighting bolt and travel with it. so when there is no wires or metal he create his own power to travel, he does have to rely on dust for this effect.  When piloting in combat he has used this ability to step out of the vehicle attack then step back in.

History :Doyle comes from a small town he was teased as a boy with other kids calling him Grim for his Amber eyes black hair and black dog ears. he spent a lot of time in his own company because of the teasing. As he grew he wanted to become a pilot so he joined the military. His test results got him selected to go to combat school as a possible hunts man but he didn't progress to atlas academy. Doyle did join the military and became a pilot and soldier. Doyle worked his way into special operations despite not being a huntsman. he holds pilot certification on most atlas flying craft and power armor.

In the military Doyle served with distinctions in several actions against Grimm, Bandits, White Fang, and other rebel forces. Doyle came back from all these missions but not everyone else did. eventually all his old friends in the unit were dead and he did not want to know the new members of the unit for fear of losing more friends. This attitude and the story of him losing his friends over several missions has given Doyle a reputation of a harbinger of death among atlas soldiers. Hover his success rate on theses missions has one him praise among command.

With these reputation Doyle has recently taken to conducting mission on his own with a team of atlesian knights when he can so he doesn't risk others.

Personality: Doyle is a good soldier he is loyal and take orders. on a mission he focus on his objectives and dose what's need to archive them. Doyle has regrets for some of the things he has seen and done as a soldier. Having lost the friends that he has served with he doesn't want to risk losing more so keeps to himself. He is polite to others but does not strike up friendships.

Notes:

Black Dog ghost are associated with electrical storm hence the lighting step.

Church Grimm are animal spirits that were put in grave yards to guard against devils, witches, and human threats to those who rest in the grave yard. 

• jVictor

#33734290 - 1 week ago

new page:

HIcH9vV.jpg

• user-5a98361f8663d

user-5a98361f8663d

#33734293 - 1 week ago

In reply to jVictor

why do i get the feeling that punch will be sent right back to yang?