Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85531)

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33738404 - 9 months ago

In reply to RyuukoDawn

There isn't a single weapon in canon that does as much by itself as Rider's, save for Myrtynaster, which works because at that point it's mostly just a magic wand and not a transforming weapon. If I'm remembering correctly, the only weapon with three forms is Pyhrra's, but even her weapon is a lot simpler since its forms are just a rifle, a sword and a spear. Compare that to a greatsword-flamethrower-three mode boomerang-glider and you can see that one feels a bit more cluttered than the other.

In general, having a character with super versatility that can do so many things at once tends to lead to them feeling like a Mary Sue. There's a reason Batman's utility belt is kind of a meme.

Honestly, methinks you've got a functional weapon with just the boomerang, sword and flamethrower combination. I'd remove the whole shtick of different combinations of three settings, and also the glider function. That mostly feels like unnecessary stuff.

I'd also generally rework the Semblance, because it feels a little bland right now. It's not as personal or character-based as the ones we've seen in canon, as far as I can see.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738458 - 8 months ago

In reply to jVictor

Hope Gawain's got a fair bit of aura, cause he just super charged Yang's semblance.

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33738477 - 8 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

In reply to Monodramatic I hear y'all and i figured that out myself. Thank you for getting back to me and letting me know. One reason why i am scaling back the weapon and dropping the three modes is because I see that it is too much on one weapon and leaves his real skill dwarfed. I will post the updated weapon soon, but it still will function as a sword/flamethrower/boomerang. as far as his Semblance goes, there is a reason that is the way it is (full bio story) i just have not posted it. It is deep personal skill that also is a cornerstone on his later development as a Hunter and a person. With the problems he has, he is no Mary Sue.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738492 - 8 months ago

In reply to RyuukoDawn

The topic of Mary Sues has come up. I'm just gonna leave this video right here.

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33738494 - 8 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety Thank you! X^D

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738501 - 8 months ago

In reply to RyuukoDawn

Not entirely sure why you're thanking me. I assume it's because the video provided some useful information (or the Trope Talk series as a whole was a helpful resource, which it is), because the main thought going through my head when I posted that was "Just because a character has problems doesn't mean they can't qualify as a Mary Sue."

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33738507 - 8 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

Well I'm going to thank you too because "Mary Sue" is one of those phrases I've seen thrown around a lot and vaguely understood but could never define before. Also, did the narrator's avatar look a bit like Yang to anyone else?

• user-5a98361f8663d

user-5a98361f8663d

#33738525 - 8 months ago

dont forget the other character rule's "a hero with no weakness is a boring hero" in short your OC must have a week spot other wise no one will like them.

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33738530 - 8 months ago

In reply to user-5a98361f8663d

Careful. It's not a "weak spot", that almost implies something like kryptonite. What a character needs is personality flaws. Pyrrha was a pretty perfect fighter, but a person with flaws and struggles nonetheless. An interesting character.

• user-5a98361f8663d

user-5a98361f8663d

#33738533 - 8 months ago

In reply to Monodramatic

when i say "weakness" im using it in a broad term but ya personality flaws is also a thing hell iv seen ware vary smart character over looking the simple answer to a complicated problem.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33738540 - 8 months ago

In reply to c4ble

Thank you, c4ble.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738541 - 8 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

I believe she goes by the name Red. On top of Trope Talk, she also has a series called Miscellaneous Myths, also on the Overly Sarcastic Productions channel. I think the similarity is mostly due to the hair, and you learn pretty quickly from watching her videos that fluffy hair is a staple of her art style.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33738634 - 8 months ago

I'm back from having no internet for nearly 3 days, what'd I miss sunglasses

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33738642 - 8 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie the usual B.S

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33738918 - 8 months ago

Boy I come back and suddenly it all dies what is this

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738947 - 8 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

A curse. Unfortunate timing probably.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33738950 - 8 months ago

weary

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738951 - 8 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

To be fair it is kinda the dry season for RWBY right now. Season 5 has been over for a while, and the only fresh source of hype was the Adam character short from..... what, a month ago? However long it's been, the hype from that has probably died down completely too. It's kinda hard to get motivated to work on stuff for a series that's been on pause since....... I think the last episode of season five aired around the beginning of summer? I don't know. You get my point though.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33738952 - 8 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety Yea, and even then a lot of people were disappointed with season 5 already and dropped off. Also I completely missed the Adam short where can I find it

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33738966 - 8 months ago

If it helps I'm writing less because I just seriously damaged my hand after a fit of rage at a video games

Because fuck my everything I suppose.

• FlameHaze001

FlameHaze001

#33738975 - 8 months ago

I haven't been active lately because I've been working to pay my rent.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33738977 - 8 months ago

In reply to Monodramatic Awe get well soon Mono ;_;

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33738979 - 8 months ago

In reply to Monodramatic

Didn't they upload it here? It's on their youtube channel. Well, either way, here's the link to the youtube video. It's got a bit of nonsense at the beginning, but if you just skip to 0:15 you'll be fine.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33739065 - 8 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

I have been distracted by Spider-man.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33739078 - 8 months ago

In reply to jVictor

Pretty sure everyone was distracted with something lately. I spent last week reading Homestuck (funniest/ most dramatic thing I've ever seen. It's total anarchy and I love it!).