Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85474)

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33739098 - 7 months ago

Sorry for the double post, but I found this bit of information interesting. Not sure if Rooster Teeth did it intentionally or not, but there's actually a really good reason for Tyrian's aura color to be purple. Look at this quote I saw on the Wikipedia page for shades of purple:

""Tyrian purple" is the contemporary English name of the color that in Latin is denominated "purpura". Other contemporary English names for purpura are "imperial purple" and "royal purple"."

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33739123 - 7 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

I think it's safe to say they knew about it beforehand. Tyrian used to be Mordred's original name back when I first made him (this was before Volume 4). 

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33739128 - 7 months ago

It even kinda works for him since purple is a color that's associated with poison, particularly in anime. Kinda makes me wish poison had been more thoroughly incorporated into his fighting style/weapons. I mean think about it: poisons that cause pain to cripple his enemies, poisons that paralyze people so he can take his time slowly killing them. I get that he's a chaotic-evil guy so all the subtle uses for poison are out the window, but there's still a lot of potential.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33739129 - 7 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

I haven't really done anything with the character in forever, but I have an old OC who's been collecting dust for years now who's whole design was themed around poison. Her name is Venna (I'm probably gonna change her current last name because it is WAY too on the nose), and she was designed to be a bully character. She's also the only character I have that has heterochromia.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33739133 - 7 months ago

One thing you can always do is put words like "poison", "venom", or "toxin" into Google Translate and see if any words for them in a different language sound good. Or you could consider variations on "purple" or "green" since those are probably the most poison-related colors. 

Speaking of character names, I've got one I'm really unhappy with but struggling to find a good alternative for. Her color is "chestnut", the team name is "rogue" and I've already got an R,O, and G, and she's a horse Faunus. I'm trying to get the whole team ready to post at roughly the same time and this name is killing me. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33739140 - 7 months ago

Rogue? You mean rouge? Because team names have to have a color association, and I don't see how "a dishonest or unprincipled man" has any color association. Rouge on the other hand is "a red powder or cream used as a cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips".

Anyways, as for a name, might I suggest Carnelian? It's a gemstone that's kind of a brownish-orange color. Not chestnut, but it's still kinda close-ish, and Carnelian sounds like a pretty name.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33739141 - 7 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues What about Umber? That's a pretty chestnutty color, and also it almost sounds like a name (like Amber). I gotta ask though, what kinda color is rogue?

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33739166 - 7 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I thought of "rogue" for the team name because each member's history, character, or fighting style alludes to a "roguish" occupation: pirate, thief, freelance knight, and duelist. Team names don't have to have an obvious color connection. What color is "STRQ" or "FNKI", or even "JNRR" or "RNJR"?

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33739169 - 7 months ago

STRQ (stark) is a quality of color (sharpness/crispness) and is usually used in in reference to white, i.e. "stark white". RNJR (ranger) is a reference to "ranger green" (which is an actual color). They point out in the show that JNRR doesn't reference a color, and use that as grounds to use RNJR instead. FNKI probably skirts the rule the hardest, because it can be associated with colors (very vibrant and saturated rainbows) that were popular with the "funk" genre of music in the 60s. 

But in general, while it is considered acceptable for canon teams (and characters) to play fast and loose with naming conventions, it's frowned upon for fan teams because it comes off as lazy. 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33739195 - 7 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues jVic already explained the colors of the canon teams, but besides that, the team acronym having to be a color is actually part of the color naming rule Monty made. So yes, if you want to follow the official color naming rule, the team name should allude to a color. Rogue really is easily shuffled to be rouge, so it shouldn't even be that big of a deal in your case to change it.

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33739200 - 7 months ago

In reply to jVictor

Hence why my lazy soul abandoned the idea of making OC teams a long time ago.

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33739204 - 7 months ago

Well, since I seem to be out-voted I'll shift it to formally being "rouge", although the members jokingly call themselves Team "Rogue" instead.

• VoshTheStampede

#33739224 - 7 months ago

Taking a break from playing Spider-man and drawing Bowsette art to finish a page: nz3cA1l.jpg

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33739228 - 7 months ago

In reply to jVictor

Gawain, dude, what are ya doing?! This is not a safe idea!

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33739272 - 7 months ago

He seems to have placed his junk directly at fist level.

• GendoGames

GendoGames

#33739288 - 7 months ago

Hello. If anybody remembers, it's me, Gendo Poser or whatever my old name was

• FlameHaze001

FlameHaze001

#33739296 - 7 months ago

In reply to GendoGames

Hey long time no see it's me firemane I had to make a new account.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33739321 - 7 months ago

Yea, I remember that name! Welcome back.

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33739381 - 7 months ago

Sorry I've been gone so long y'all. I've been trying to improve my art and writing skills so i can post more on here. While we are on the topic I did have a team i wanted to put Rider in but i thought given his background  and introduction into the story it may have been better to leave them out. Also,his weapon has been updated and is more feasible to his combat style and personality. Hopefully i will be able to start posting pics and animations on here soon for your feedback.

• VoshTheStampede

#33739518 - 7 months ago

New Page:

qWPxYwv.jpg

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33739526 - 7 months ago

In reply to jVictor

I WARNED YOU GAWAIN! I TOLD YOU THIS WAS A BAD IDEA! YOU SHOULDA SEEN THIS COMING! YOU BEST BE GETTING THE F*@$ OUTTA THERE IF YOU WANNA AVOID GETTING PUNCHED INTO NEXT WEEK!

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33739545 - 7 months ago

"I WARNED YOU ABOUT THE HAIR BRO! I TOLD YOU DOG!"

• Xuelder

Xuelder FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Some Sort of Art Boi

#33739547 - 7 months ago

In reply to jVictor

I can't tell if its her ahoge or her hands stopping the blade, but I'm good with either to be quite frank.

• VoshTheStampede

#33739571 - 7 months ago

In reply to Xuelder

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I want to remind you that Gawain planned for this (...sort of).

• Monodramatic

Monodramatic

#33739637 - 7 months ago

In reply to jVictor

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.