Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85531)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747697 - 6 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety Hey wow! Now that's flattering. I'm honored you went out of your way to type this up. I understand you don't think Sky's visual design is as strong; I kind of agree with you, and I definitely have characters that look better aesthetically. I tried to remedy the weapon finger thing by mentioning that its inside is lined with soft cloth, making it a little less painful. But yea. Must be a nightmare to use if you're not trained for it. I also kind of have to admit on the semblance thing that it really has little tie-in with his personality, because it's more based on his allusion than anything else. This goes for all members of team PSTL, and also for some others; I just let their allusion influence the semblance idea more and leave their personality partly or entirely out of the equation. All in all nothing I can disagree with! Thanks again!

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33747710 - 6 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Not a problem. In all honesty I can't blame you for having the semblance based off the allusion more than the personality. I don't work with allusions that often, but I generally find it easier to come up with a semblance idea that I just generally like and then find some metaphorical reach around to explain away some personality connection. Take Nephrite for example. I gave him a poison curing semblance because I wanted him to have a way to instantly sober up in emergencies. His personality wasn't taken into account as much as his party animal habits were. I don't have a descriptor in his bio for how his semblance ties in with his personality, but if someone asked me what the connection is, I'd probably make the excuse of how him being able to get rid of poisons in his system is metaphorical of his optimistic nature and how he shakes of negative emotions quicker than most people. Thank goodness CRWBY made cannon semblances with such vague, metaphorical connections, otherwise making semblances would be WAY harder than it already is.

I dunno, I guess you could always say that his ability to hold light is metaphorical for how his trust is something difficult to hold onto, just like light? I dunno. I'm not good at coming up with metaphors on the spot. Just a suggestion in case anyone goes all "these are the rules and they must be followed to an absolute T" mode and starts saying how the semblance HAS to have a personality connection. I personally don't care too much because, as previously stated, it's fairly easy to make a metaphorical reach around to explain away a personality connection, so I just kinda assume by default that if there's no descriptor for how the personality ties into the semblance, then it's probably just a metaphorical reach around the creator didn't feel like trying to explain (cause metaphors ain't the easiest thing to put into a text explanation). As long as the semblance is balanced, I think the vast majority of people don't really care too much. It's just kinda preferable to have a personality connection explanation ready in case someone DOES decide to be obsessive about it.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33747711 - 6 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

I feel the same way about character inspirations. A character doesn't have to have an inspiration, but if you want to have one don't forget to mention it. GLDN are all inspired by Knights of the Round Table but Erina and Lehti have no direct inspiration at all. 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747713 - 6 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety,VoshTheStampede I love doing the allusions. I really like it. Sometimes I get too caught up in it and I start basing large parts of them on it. I have a character based on a leprechaun, and I made him all troll-y and crazy. His semblance is also related to that fact. Though it does fit his craziness.

But I also really like semblances. I usually do want them to be at least slightly related to their personality, so that's why I kinda feel guilty about something like this, haha. If I had to give an excuse, I'd say he's very intense (throwing balls of a concentrated, bunched up dangerous/powerful 'substance') and a tad hot-headed (the light does heat damage).

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33747807 - 6 months ago

sorry, I was gone for a while but I'm back with my third team member!

[NAME]: Russet (goes by Russ) Bones
    [NAME MEANING]: Russet is a shade of brown and bones are usually a whitish color
    [ALLUSION]: a mischievous shapeshifter
    [AGE]: 17
    [GENDER]: male
    [SPECIES]: African American tiger Faunus (has tiger stripes but calls it a skin condition)
    [HAIR COLOR]: black
    [EYE COLOR]: orange
    [HEIGHT]: 5'6”
    [COMPLEXION]: caramel
    [CLOTHING]: see picture
    [ACCESSORIES]: see picture
    [AURA COLOR]: dark orange
    [PERSONALITY]: Russet is very clever, able to think of quick plans to escape in any dire situation. he has a very good eye and can see things that people would normally not see or look over, but he may use this to pickpocket others and is "trying" to break that habit. one of his more less likable traits he is very manipulative knowing the right thing to say or do to get what he wants out of people.
    [BACKSTORY]: Russet and his family went through hard times when he was young and to help them out he would steal different things food, water, clothes, etc. But as he did this he started seeing how good he was at it and started going after bigger fish like jewelry, wallets, and keys and this caused him some trouble with the law and it didn't help that he was a Faunus. When his parents found out they tried to break him out of it but nothing seemed to work.
    Then one day his parents told him to get in the car and that they were going somewhere they didn't tell him we're but he didn't question it until they got to Hue academy were he was giving an ultimatum either go to this huntsmen academy and do some good or go to a juvenile prison and learn by methods they would never bother to advertise. So reluctantly he grabbed his bags and headed to Hue academy.

[AFFLICTION]: Hue academy Team LARK
    [WEAPON NAME]: 
    [WEAPON TYPE]: gauntlets that hold pistol ammo with whips on the side that wraps around his arms up to his shoulder
    [SEMBLANCE]:
    [POWERS]: 
    [LIMITS]: 
    [OCCUPATION]: huntsman student

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747809 - 6 months ago

In reply to Shadow-elements Hmm, it says 'see picture' but there's no picture. Did you forget it?

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33747810 - 6 months ago

no, i just don't know how to add one.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747817 - 6 months ago

In reply to Shadow-elements Upload it anywhere online. Then right click it, select 'copy image URL'  (or whatever it is in your language), and then paste into the message box here on the forum. It should just paste the whole image.

• drunkedhusky24

drunkedhusky24

#33747836 - 6 months ago

my oc idea for rwby

name: adalwolf (thunder umbra)

faunus race: omega Wolf (the omega wolfs are normally playfull White snow wolfs)

height: (i dont know the american measurement because im from mexico, my oc is tall)

hair: black color and spiky

aura: cyan blue

outfit: a type of black with gold details samurai armor, a black scarf, gray camo pants and a high tech anti gas mask for biological attacks or flashbangs

weapon: a pair of 2 black and gold katanas one short one and a long one, and a double bladed longsword that can charge dust attacks from any element and turn into a heavy machinegun

backstory: once a kid he lived in a prototype city called Chrome, a city supposed to be the future, all was kind of futuristic until a group called the umbras revealed the secrets of the government by hacking their entire servers but then the government didnt have a choice to launch a biological weapon capable of turning anything to dust (not the elements, i mean dust dust) it had acid on the biological weapon, John runned out of the city and the umbras saw what he was capable of because they saw him do parkour and run fast and sneak out the city without getting the governments forces attention so they took him to their base far from the city in a far snowy mountain, he got a home, Friends and training, when he was 19 years old he was on a extract misión to save chroma survivors that got jailed in a high security base, once they got the survivors extracted John found a bracelet full of chromium ( a special element normally used to make magic illusions or heavily armored parts in the region) John for being dumb he putted on the bracelet and suddenly John pressed a button and magically turned into a female version of himself so he took out the bracelet and turned back to normal and he tought it could come handly on infiltration missions. now on days John has 22 years and is the commander of a capital ship and his fleet defending the territories from the White fang and the high activity of the Grimm after beacons fall

semblance: emp charge, grabs energy from any near energy source, then it can be used to either run fast (after seeing how it feels to chew 5 gum) or get rid of the energy making an emp small explosión

personality: normally he is serious, likes building new tech, sometimes joyfull,and likes going crazy with any Grimm like from mounting them to even try to play with them until he makes them fight each other

weakness: he is somethimes not aware from sky attacks and running with emp charge could get out of control and crash with anything

weakness female form: sometimes gets unbalanced and falls to the ground and also using the emp explosion paralyses him/her for sometime 

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33747842 - 6 months ago

In reply to drunkedhusky24

Interesting character, but needs some work. There are two major problems with this:

First and biggest thing: no magic. From what we've seen the only magic in Remnant derives either from the Relics or Oz, and neither one is really a viable source to use for giving OCs magic or magical stuff.

Second, dial it back a bit with the weapons. Three swords is too many unless he's got a way to use them all at once. Either the set of two samurai swords or the one long-sword is enough, having them all is overkill.

Aside from these, the punctuation and capitalization need a lot of work. I know this is a bit nitpicky and forums are generally a lot looser about these things, but it makes a profile really hard to follow. I'm not trying to dump on the profile, it looks interesting, but it needs work.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747854 - 6 months ago

In reply to drunkedhusky24 I'm not sure what's going on with his name...is his name John Thunder Umbra? Which part is part of his actual name? Is the last part a nickname? If so, where does the color come in?

• drunkedhusky24

drunkedhusky24

#33747858 - 6 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues ok so i will have to work with my oc but first of all it isnt magic i was just saying that looks like magic but the minerals (chromium) is a combination of many elemental dust and some safe levels of radiation and second i think yeah 3 swords will be overkill i think it will better have somethimes the 2 katanas and sosmetimes the longsword but thanks for telling me im right now working on drawing my oc

• drunkedhusky24

drunkedhusky24

#33747860 - 6 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie john is the name and thunder umbra is the nickname because of the semblance and also being part of the umbras and maybe i have posted it with some ortografic errors so maybe thats why you didnt understand

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747900 - 6 months ago

In reply to drunkedhusky24 So then...his actual name doesn't allude to a color. It doesn't follow the color rule.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33747915 - 6 months ago

Name: Ivy Freyja

Race: human

Sex:female

Color: Green

References: Freyja norse goddess of love, fertility, war, and death

Job: bandit

Symbol: 0U5Ni6JsY4TyF5uDZvbOxB802cvJBrmVdMkXhfCE

Appearance: a short woman with curly blond hair. she dress in lollita fashions mostly green and black in color. She keeps a big green and black bow in her hair.  Her combat outfit is a lollita stly dress with puffy shoulder and a number of bows. The dress has a bell shaped skirt over a number of petticoats and pair of bloomers.  An oddity to this cute appearances is that she wear military style combat boots. She

History: Ivy grew up in a tribe of bandit. her father rose to be leader of the tribe and want her to follow in his footsteps he raised her to be a hard edged warrior teaching her to embrace the joy of battle and show no weakness.  Ivy grew to hate this life not wanting to fight and hurt people anymore. While on a covert mission to scout out a local settlement she met a young man and it was love at first sight. She ran away from the tribe to be with him they were eventually married then moved to a new settlement to start a family.

Ivy put her hard warrior ways behind her she focus on being a loving wife.  This was a happy time in her life but it would end when her old tribe raided the settlement.  her old life met her new life in a tragic clash. At the start of the fight she was frozen with shock as she watched her friend and family old and new engaged in the horrors of war. While she was in shock her husband took up arms to fight and defend their home. In the end she watched as he stood against the bandit leader her father. The two began to fight eventually kill each  other in front of her. the battle raged on around her. The fear, rage, and hate that radiated from this battle brought the grimm. This finally freed ivy of her shock and she picked up her husband and fathers weapons and fell back to the fighting skills of her past.

Days later ivy walk into another settlement she was covered in blood and dragging the weapons of her father and husband with her. She had survived somehow but the events left her mentally scarred. To deal with seeing her loved one kill one another her mind has regressed to a more childlike state.  Her mental brake has lead ivy to turn against humanity and to the side of the grimm she sees a purity in grimm missing in humans will hurt and kill their own kind but the grimm only do what is in there nature to do and she likes them for that.

Personality: ivy is mentally unstable the trauma of her past has caused a regression in her to a more child like mentality she is usually bubbly and cute under normal circumstances.  She has a real fascination with cute fluffy things hence her style of dress even in combat. In a fight she seems to be overcome with a battle joy, combat is a game to her she smiles, laughs, and dances. At night She has night terrors were she is overcome with memories of her loss and the horrors of what humanity will do to itself.  She has a fascination with the grimm she sees them as pure and true to their nature

Semblance: lightfoot The character focus aura on their feet. When in use their steps have no weight to them, they make no sound or marks the ability comes from stalking prey.   besides the stalking aspect the ability allowed the character to do other impressive things they can walk and stand on objects that should not hold their weight. like tigges and thread.  The ability also allows them to stand on water.

Weapon: dreadnought thunder. a bullpup style assault rifle with an under barrel shotgun/Halberd. (the appearance of the rifle form is similar to the weapons from starship troopers.) the weapon unfolds into a halberd the buttstock and firing mechanism folds 90 degrees to the barrel then reveals the ax blade and the spear point extends.  To create the pole the shotgun slides down the barrel and fixes itself to the end of the barrel. The shotgun can then fire out the bottom of the polearm. This can be used to help with jumping and movement. The assault rifle now fires in the opposite direction of the axs blade to aid in the striking power of the ax.

JhWbyxrHW-CyDpPZEs9f3I6l0jEOmwdGP_6dIfOu

• drunkedhusky24

drunkedhusky24

#33747918 - 6 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie oh so that means it has to have a name related to the color? what should i call him smoke or ghost or something like that? give me a suggestion because it seems it has to be like a person name but related to the colors

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33747920 - 6 months ago

Not necessarily. You can just use a color name, although try to pick a specific shade rather than just "red" or "green".

Edit: Using a different language's color name came work well too

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33747923 - 6 months ago

In reply to drunkedhusky24  smoke or ghost could work there are a number of other optinions.

for nameing resources I found this website useful when I started color names,  If I am look for color to see what might work as a name I find wickipedia lists of colors useful as well. there is also just useing google to serch for ideas.  

I realized after watching the newest and rewatching past episodes of rwby that the comic relif seems to be missing from a number of the characters we post here. I relize I need to work it more in to mine.  

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33747937 - 6 months ago

In reply to drunkedhusky24 The color naming rule made by Monty states that the name needs to be a color, mean a color, sound like a color, or bring to mind the image of a specific color (so 'banana' would count as it makes you think of yellow). It can be anything, including something from another language.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33747939 - 6 months ago

And it is for occasions such as this that I saved a link to the color name list that Mal made.

• drunkedhusky24

drunkedhusky24

#33747943 - 6 months ago

thanks for the list and i found a ton of names but i think i will change the name of my oc to adalwolf that is related to gray and omega wolfs normally are gray with White thanks changing it right now

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Mollymaukery

#33747962 - 6 months ago

That list officially has 1800 names on it.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33747964 - 6 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

By far the most useful RWBY OC resource I've ever encountered. Heck, I just used it a little bit ago to pick a name for my court jester themed OC (Erebus Gild). Not sure you ever really got a proper thanks for going through the headache of making that thing, so I'm just gonna say it now. Thanks a ton. .....Now that I think about it, what even motivated you to subject yourself to making that list? That HAD to have been a nightmare and a half.

• William_Rayne

William_Rayne

#33748022 - 6 months ago

In reply to darkdill

Cool idea! I'll give it a shot.

Name: Az Rayel (Hard to come up with names) 

Picture I drewAz Rayel 

Weapon of Choice: Greatsword. He's super old school, so it doesn't transform or anything, but it can be imbued with dust for different effects (i.e. - Fire, Ice, Electricity) 

Personality: Easy-going, charming, stalwart. He laughs easily and often. But, his outward demeanor and joviality hide a darkness...a fire within. He's had a rough past, and he hates the Grim, deeply.

Skills: Exceptional fighter. His weapon has no real tricks or gimmicks (aside from catching fire or becoming electrified). It's a sword, and he's spent the better part of his life training with it. He's probably around Qrow's age, and has the experience. He could possibly help Jahn (sp?) a bit with his swordsmanship. Az is a beast on the field. His style could be described as brutal. It's a big sword he carries, and he handles it well. 

Aura Semblance: Wings. Flight. Playing fully into the angel motif here. When activated, he gains golden ethereal wings, and can use them to fly. 

History: From a small town that was wiped out by a Grim attack. Lost everything. His father was a blacksmith. His mother was a cleric, a healer. They both died in the attack. Az tried to fight. He was very young, but he picked up his father's best creation (the sword he still carries), and fought back for days. In the end, only he survived. He wasn't able to protect the ones he loved, and carries that guilt still. He dedicated his life to finding the Grim that destroyed his home, and killing every last one. He sought training from anyone who'd teach him. He never went to an academy, but he hunts. He always hunts. He's still not found the Grim who gave him his scars, physical and emotional. It haunts him always. 

Likes: Good beer and whisky. Pretty women. Laughing. And, he likes singing and playing the guitar.

Dislikes: Duplicity. Cowardice. Bugs. He really doesn't like bugs. Like, he'd freak if he found a spider or a bug crawling on him unaware.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33748037 - 6 months ago

In reply to William_Rayne Hey buddy- you're replying to a post that's 4 years old. The character seems cool enough, but what's the color in his name?