Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85403)

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33751257 - 1 month ago

working on a name for a new character think of using the sound like a color rule.  the name is nicole since it sounds like nickle

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33751258 - 1 month ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

I guess in my head I pictured her disappearing during a performance. I get where you're coming from about not liking the power, but let me try to explain one more time. Think of it like a glamour, an illusion that is less about creating a concrete image and more about just telling the mind what it does or doesn't see. An unnoticeable person is, in a way, psychically telling everyone around them that they aren't there, and it works until a strong enough event challenges that illusion.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33751264 - 1 month ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

Nah, she'd probably avoid using her semblance during a performance. I don't have all the details worked out yet, but I imagine her performing eventually results in her and the conductor OC joining a currently un-named group that I believe I've mentioned in the past, who go around not only fighting the grimm to protect people, but entertaining people in various ways to help maintain positive emotions so the grimm never get attracted. So she'd have plenty of opportunities to use her semblance in a fight (still gotta figure out when and how she acquires combat training, but I'll get to that detail later). Still don't really think that semblance is my cup of tea (more accurately, not my can of soda, cause I hate tea), but the help is appreciated anyways.

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33752071 - 1 month ago

okay so here's my 3rd oc team member I couldn't find a way to past the image so I'll leave a link to the page itself (http://aminoapps.com/p/vmwani)

[NAME]: Russet (goes by Russ) Bones
    [NAME MEANING]: Russet is a shade of brown and bones are usually a whitish color
    [ALLUSION]: 
    [AGE]: 17
    [GENDER]: male
    [SPECIES]: African American tiger Faunus (has tiger stripes but calls it a skin condition)
    [HAIR COLOR]: black
    [EYE COLOR]: orange
    [HEIGHT]: 5'6”
    [COMPLEXION]: caramel
    [CLOTHING]: see picture
    [ACCESSORIES]: see picture
    [AURA COLOR]: dark orange
    [PERSONALITY]: Russet is very clever, able to think of quick plans to escape in any dire situation. he has a very good eye and can see things that people would normally not see or look over, but he may use this to pickpocket others and is "trying" to break that habit. one of his more less likable traits he is very manipulative knowing the right thing to say or do to get what he wants out of people.
    [BACKSTORY]: Russet and his family went through hard times when he was young and to help them out he would steal different things food, water, clothes, etc. But as he did this he started seeing how good he was at it and started going after bigger fish like jewelry, wallets, and keys and this caused him some trouble with the law and it didn't help that he was a Faunus. When his parents found out they tried to break him out of it but nothing seemed to work.

Then one day his parents told him to get in the car and that they were going somewhere they didn't tell him we're but he didn't question it until they got to Hue academy were he was giving an ultimatum either go to this huntsmen academy and do some good or go to a juvenile prison and learn by methods they would never bother to advertise. So reluctantly he grabbed his bags and headed to Hue academy.

[AFFLICTION]: Hue academy Team LARK
    [WEAPON NAME]: 
    [WEAPON TYPE]: gauntlets that hold pistol ammo with whips on the side that wraps around his arms up to his shoulder
    [SEMBLANCE]:
    [POWERS]: 
    [LIMITS]: 
    [OCCUPATION]: huntsman student

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33752099 - 1 month ago

In reply to Shadow-elements

As I understand it for pictures you need to upload them to your profile and from there you can insert them into posts.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33752105 - 1 month ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues You don't have to, you just have to copy paste the image URL (by right clicking the image itself, not the URL at the top of the page).

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33752106 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Ah, I see.

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33752145 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie i tried that and it did not work. Then again I'm using my phone so that's probably why

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33752160 - 1 month ago

Rough concept for Gawain's brand new "Eroberung" combat harness, commissioned without his knowledge by his father and "gifted" to him after his last set of gear was damaged:

10795cbbe9ec206b39b1ff5cf4b7b89cabc4a1c8

Gawain's opinion: "Gaudy, but oddly comfortable."

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33752164 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

It's always interesting seeing a character who wears a mask. What are they trying to hide? What are they trying to show? I've always found masked super-heroes- and, to a lesser extent, villains- particularly fascinating, because I've found there's often a connection between how elaborate and obscuring their mask is and how much separation there is between their hero-persona and their everyday identity. Applying that principle here I would say that whoever designed this wanted to create a strong distinction between who the wearer normally is and who they are when they're fighting.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33752169 - 1 month ago

Originally, Gawain wore his helmets to hide the fact that he was a faunus. Eventually he got good enough and hiding his extra ears in his hair that he didn't need the helmets anymore and only wore them for protection. After Beacon fell, he wore his helmet to cover his scars and obscure his identity (when he thought he could play at being an intelligence agent). Once he discovers that spy-work is not for him, he goes back to his old mentality of only wearing his helmet to protect his head. This new new helmet isn't his doing, but his father's. It and the other Eroberung armor sets are built for enhanced protection and designed for intimidation. The aesthetics aren't Gawain's preference, but he can't deny that it's surprisingly light and maneuverable (and the helmet has space for his ears!). 

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33752181 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

Like I said, people where elaborate masks not just to hide something, but to become something else. At the risk of being presumptuous, I'd guess that part of the reason Gawain doesn't like the new look is because he feels he doesn't/shouldn't have to hide who he is anymore. Although if having his wolf ears squished by a helmet is anything like having my ears be squished by too-small ear-muffs is for me, I can see why he'd appreciate having a helmet with room for them.

I, personally, am the farthest thing from a fashion guy as far as the real world goes, but it's always interesting trying to break down what fictional character is wearing to see what it says about them. And it's also fun to come up with some backstory for a piece of clothing or an accessory for one of my characters. 

One thing I've got floating around for if I ever try writing something with Robert is this oni mask he has. It belonged to his father, the pirate captain, who would wear it whenever he raided a ship for the intimidation factor. Indeed, the captain was such a fearsome fighter that people began to whisper that there was something uncanny about him, that the mask was something he bargained with a demon for and that he became a demon himself whenever he put it on. When Robert fled the ship he took his father's mask as well as the man's cutlass as a sort of inheritance. 

The thing is, while the mask itself was really just a piece of plunder the captain had picked up while raiding, there is some truth to the rumors he could fight like a man possessed with it. It wasn't the mask though, or even a Semblance. He simply learned how to shut off all conscious thought while fighting; to simply move, act, and respond on an instinctive level, totally devoid of things like pain or fear. And he taught Robert this technique, and now whenever Robert wants to use it he puts the mask on, and, for a brief time, The Demon of the Seas lives once more...

Gotta love a good mask...

• VoshTheStampede

#33752207 - 1 month ago

I too think it's important that there be a rhyme and reason to a character's attire. Gawain's clothing while he was at Beacon hearkened to old military uniforms with ornamental pieces reminiscent of knights:

gawain_freshman_wardrobe_by_jrvoltin_daf

jVictor52c1efc8f3629.jpg

d9eucve-e4dec5c0-9d90-430d-8ae3-3b8effcc

After Beacon, his color scheme became a lot darker (to fit with his new mindset) and his armor dropped the shiny ornamental bits to become more focused on utilitarian protection. He no longer wore the fancy old-timey military shirts and switched to a simpler tear-resistant compression shirt (which is the same kind his cousin Lehti wears). 

gawain_post_volume_3_by_jrvoltin_d9u0rqe

And he traded out his jacket for a coat because... he was just kinda feeling it. Many of his old design elements still follow through to the newer designs too. The key difference between the Eroberung armor and his previous ones is that he wasn't the one who commissioned it. 

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33752208 - 1 month ago

well besides the image could you please give me some feedback?

• VoshTheStampede

#33752332 - 1 month ago

In reply to Shadow-elements

[NAME]: Russet (goes by Russ) Bones
    [AGE]: 17
    [GENDER]: male

Fine so far.

[SPECIES]: African American tiger Faunus (has tiger stripes but calls it a skin condition)

You can just say "black" or "dark skinned" or "caramel complexion" (like you do further down). There is no Africa or America on Remnant. And tiger stripes have a fairly distinct pattern that would be hard to pass off as a skin condition. 

[HAIR COLOR]: black
    [EYE COLOR]: orange
    [HEIGHT]: 5'6”
    [COMPLEXION]: caramel
    [CLOTHING]: see picture
    [ACCESSORIES]: see picture
    [AURA COLOR]: dark orange

Nothing egregious here.

[PERSONALITY]: Russet is very clever, able to think of quick plans to escape in any dire situation. he has a very good eye and can see things that people would normally not see or look over, but he may use this to pickpocket others and is "trying" to break that habit. one of his more less likable traits he is very manipulative knowing the right thing to say or do to get what he wants out of people.
    [BACKSTORY]: Russet and his family went through hard times when he was young and to help them out he would steal different things food, water, clothes, etc. But as he did this he started seeing how good he was at it and started going after bigger fish like jewelry, wallets, and keys and this caused him some trouble with the law and it didn't help that he was a Faunus. When his parents found out they tried to break him out of it but nothing seemed to work.

Personality and backstory are congruent at least. 

Then one day his parents told him to get in the car and that they were going somewhere they didn't tell him we're but he didn't question it until they got to Hue academy were he was giving an ultimatum either go to this huntsmen academy and do some good or go to a juvenile prison and learn by methods they would never bother to advertise. So reluctantly he grabbed his bags and headed to Hue academy.

There is no Hue Huntsman Academy. There are only four (well, three now) Huntsman academies: Beacon, Atlas, Shade, and Haven. If you want to make up a Combat School (which are academies that one attends before applying to a Huntsman academy) then that's fine. Also one does not simply "go" to a Huntsman Academy. You have to apply and be accepted, which is no easy feat.

[AFFLICTION]: Hue academy Team LARK

I assume you mean "Affiliation". And again Hue is not one of the Huntsman academies. I suppose LARK can pass as a team name since larks tend to be brownish in color. 

[WEAPON NAME]: 
    [WEAPON TYPE]: gauntlets that hold pistol ammo with whips on the side that wraps around his arms up to his shoulder
    [SEMBLANCE]:
    [POWERS]: 
    [LIMITS]: 
    [OCCUPATION]: huntsman student

Weapon doesn't make a lot of sense and the rest of the info is just not here. There's not really a lot to work with here. It's the beginnings of a character and not much else.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33752342 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede I'm pretty sure Sierra's stripes were tattoos or otherwise painted; her trait was ears. You can't have 2 traits.

• VoshTheStampede

#33752347 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

My mistake, they were tattoos. I removed that bit.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33752926 - 1 month ago

So I was thinking of making a Robin Hood inspired OC, and I had an idea for their semblance that I wanted to get some feedback on. Ya know, the general "is this too op? or can it be balanced?" sort of thing. The idea was that their semblance would allow them to access the senses (or maybe just a single sense) of a single target within a certain range limit (as you can probably tell, this semblance idea is still kinda nebulous in terms of the specifics). The main reason I liked this idea was because I though it'd be cool if, as an archer, the character could have a hunting falcon, and use their semblance to get a birds eye view via the falcon.

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33752933 - 1 month ago

Sounds cool. Reminds me of the Find Familiar spell from DnD, which lets you see and hear through your familiar. And at least it's steering clear from the typical "eagle-eye" or "sharpshooter" Semblance that range-based characters tend to have.

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33752943 - 1 month ago

Doesn't sound OP or anything. If you want to curtail it a bit, you can always limit it so that he can only project into animals, not people.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33752945 - 1 month ago

Hey everyone, its been a good number of years since I was last here. Imma try to get back into the swing of things, make new teams and OC's. Hopefully yall will like some of them. Though i also hope to repost some of my old teams to get fresh feedback and help in finalizing them. If any are interested in me reposting my old teams for fresh feedback them please give me a poke, im eager to return.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33752946 - 1 month ago

In reply to Rakolai

I actually did kind of get a bit of inspiration from a D&D campaign I've been watching on youtube. One of the players has a raven familiar that they often send to scout ahead. I think the hardest limiting factor to decide on for the semblance is going to be the range her semblance works in, since I want it to be sufficiently large enough for the falcon to be a useful scouting option, but also not so large that she can basically see wherever she wants. I also like how this semblance idea kinda makes her reliant on her falcon for her semblance to be of any significant use (she can't target someone, even if they're well within her radius, if she doesn't know they're there).

• VoshTheStampede

#33752948 - 1 month ago

In reply to Rakolai

That's also exactly what Gareth's semblance is.

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33752954 - 1 month ago

The 100 feet that Find Familiar uses should be plenty. For reference, that's a little longer than a standard NBA basketball court or the height of a 10-story building. In meters, that's under a third of the distance of a 100-meter dash.

• VoshTheStampede

#33752956 - 1 month ago

In reply to Rakolai

Ah, so Gareth's is an overpowered version. I guess that's fitting, he is a "Final Boss" type villain.