Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85531)

• AutumnOnFire

AutumnOnFire FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold How may I be of service?

#33756958 - 1 month ago

Thread still going huh? Surprised it's gone on this long

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33756963 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampedeThis...is beyond awesome! I am loving the weapons and the look he has, sick af

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33756966 - 1 month ago

In reply to RyuukoDawn

Thanks. I actually almost forgot I did all those armor sets since I've been working on other stuff recently. 

In reply to AutumnOnFire

I feel like you posted here saying that once before.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33756976 - 1 month ago

This thread will live as long as we, its members, do.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757015 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

We're not dead yet! We're getting better actually! I think we might pull through sir!

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33757029 - 1 month ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

Then I guess they can't take us yet, it's against regulations.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757032 - 1 month ago

WE ARE ALIVE! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

• PandaBrady

PandaBrady

#33757051 - 1 month ago

immortalized. You're our creator, you traitor.

Sorry, just watched that video.

Unless it's an R&M reference. 

Anyways. I'm glad to see people about. Still working on Bone. It always gets redone every season.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757077 - 1 month ago

Take your time, we ain't goin' nowhere. xP

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33757212 - 1 month ago

Mark Zhang made another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=swQYifJ1r4w

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757227 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede Man, that guy is amazing. I can't wait to see what else he creates.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757237 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

That feeling when a fan-made work simultaneously makes you feel pumped and motivated to work on your own fan-made stuff, but also makes you feel like your own stuff is lazy and half-assed. TwT

• VoshTheStampede

#33757239 - 1 month ago

If it makes you feel better, I still don't like Vella's weapon.

I will die on this hill and you can't stop me.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757240 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

I'm not one to nitpick weapons too much. I am absolute $#!T at weapons. I think out of all my OCs, there's only one, maybe two weapons that I didn't get any help on at all.

But since people are actually here at the moment, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a semblance idea I had. I realized after watching that trailer that I'd probably have an easier time finishing my OCs if I had allusions to draw inspiration from, so I was thinking of making a team for an OC I made a long while back, Clair De Lune (french for moonlight if my memory serves me correctly), who's got an allusion to the moon. I figured other things in space would be a good theme for her team, and was thinking of making one of the characters an allusion to black holes. The semblance idea I had draws on how the gravity of a black hole distorts space-time.

I don't have a name in mind for it yet, but I figured the way it could work is that the user can slow down time in a limited area around them, with time moving progressively slower the closer you get to the center of the area-of-effect (possibly reaching a complete standstill once you get too close to the center). The user CAN'T move while using this semblance, so it's not something that can insta-win a fight. I feel like it's best use is as a part of a strategic group effort (in one-on-one fights it basically just pauses the fight since neither party can really do anything to one another).

Alternatively, if that's too OP, I was thinking maybe something to do with bending light around them, making it a lot harder for people to make and accurate shot at the user.

• VoshTheStampede

#33757242 - 1 month ago

I don't think it's OP. It's basically an inverted version of the Schnee's Time Dilation (where they speed up either themselves or someone else by applying lighting Dust to their glyphs). Being able to create a bubble of "locked" space-time seems reasonable to me as a semblance. 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757247 - 1 month ago

I second Vosh, it's not too OP. However, I do also like your alternative idea with the light bending, maybe even more than the time slowing one.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757256 - 1 month ago

I feel like either semblance would be a little tricky to work with. The former requires a lot of thought on how it can be used in combos (maybe it could be used kinda like the stasis rune from Legend of Zelda Breath of the wild and objects within the time distortion store up any momentum from outside interference), and the latter has a lot of minute complications and implications (like, can they bend light around them in a way that specifically makes them invisible, or is it just an area around them where basically all the colors of everything around them start bending and twisting).

I probably would have come up with something gravity related, but I figured a gravity related semblance would work good for Clair too since she's based off the moon, and the gravity of the moon controls the tides. My first idea (to make it not too interchangeable with gravity dust), is that she could target some non-living thing, and if she's got more mass, the object is pulled towards her, but if it has more mass, she's drawn toward it.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757273 - 1 month ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety That one's pretty cool too. TBH, they could all be made to work.They are unique and interesting enough without being OP. It's up to you really.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757276 - 1 month ago

Thinking on it, I'm worried that the semblance for Clair might be a little too similar to the semblance of the character from Mark Zhang's Viridian trailer (two points that accelerate towards one another), especially just from an observational stand point, but I suppose I'll worry about that later. Clair has definitely got the most going for her so far, having her name, weapon, and at least an idea for her semblance figured out (those are always the three points I struggle with, especially the two latter ones), so I'm thinking I'm gonna try and get a few of the bigger details knocked out for her other team mates before I come back to her. Besides, I think I might want to tweak her design some, not cause it's bad, but her design implies a personality type that I always find really boring to work with, and I don't want a weapon idea I really like to be wasted on a character that I'm constantly going to forget exists.

I've already picked a name for the team member that's going to have an allusion to comets: Jirukon Araki. Jirukon is the English spelling of the Japanese word for Zircon (a type of gem that's most often found in a aqua blue color), and Araki is a Japanese name meaning either 'wild tree' or 'new tree'. It's also part of the name of a comet. I've also been working on a symbol for the team member that's gonna be an allusion to nebulae, but I'm somewhat on the fence about it. I like the way the colors turned out for the most part (it was my first attempt at using MSpaint plus GIMP to blend colors), but I think the overall shape might be a little on the simplistic side for a RWBY symbol, especially since I was considering the idea of it being a family shared symbol. I dunno. Here's what it looks like. What do you guys think?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757283 - 1 month ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety The outer circle line is a bit thin, emblems are usually a bit more bold in my experience. I also don't believe they usually have gradients, although it does look pretty. I think you might want to play with the sizes and placements of all the elements to make it more visually interesting. As for a semblance being similar to someone else's; being inspired is good, and as long as it's not a blatant rip-off (which this isn't) I don't see the issue. Just means great minds think alike :p

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757330 - 1 month ago

I think reworking the symbol is something I'm gonna put on the back-burner for now. I have a pitifully limited knowledge of how to operate GIMP, so I don't know how I'll recreate it with a thicker outer circle without starting all over. As for why there's a color gradient, I was watching some fan-made WOR videos when I decided to work on it, so I guess I was to some extent trying to mimic the very subtle off-coloration of symbols you see in the WOR videos (the Schnee family symbol for example is white, but it has a little bit of blue here and there if you pay REALLY close attention). That and I felt like a symbol for a nebula inspired OC just HAD to have some kind of mist-related effect in there, and I can't art, especially with just a mouse, so making a convincing cloud/mist/smoke/whatever shape was basically out the window.

In the meantime, I think I'm gonna try and get some work done on the black hole inspired OC. I've got a vague idea for what I want his design to look like, especially in terms of the outfit (I'm thinking somewhere between a punk and goth style outfit; probably some finger-less gloves, MAYBE some piercings, DEFINITELY a leather jacket), and I think I might have a starting point in mind for a weapon that would match the look I have in mind for him (spike-tipped combat boots, probably dust compatible). It'll take me some time to figure out how to RWBYfy the idea completely (spiked boots with some dust on it's own is pretty boring and lazy by RWBY standards), but I'm glad I'm not 100% drained of ideas.

I also got an idea for a possible new organization I might want to make (that this team may or may not end up being a part of, depending on how the idea for the organization fans out). After watching the latest Mark Zhang trailer, I looked in the description and saw that it mentioned another fan made RWBY team called NYON (I'm guessing that's pronounced Neon), so I decided to give that a look. The first episode was REALLY hard to sit through, but the second one had a major quality upgrade, and I got a lot of laughs out of the dynamic between Nyx and Nero, especially with their Gimli and Legolas style kill counting competitions. That's kinda what gave me the idea for this new organization: The Kill Counters, an organization made up of huntsmen and huntsmen teams that specialize in clearing out large quantities of grimm.

I was thinking that maybe in it's history, the organization was founded by a small group of huntsmen friends that liked to have friendly kill counting competitions, and as their skills grew and their contests escalated, they needed larger and larger groups of grimm for the competitions to last any real length of time. So they started wandering all over Remnant, actively looking for any and all jobs with "high quantity of grimm" in the descriptor. They made a bunch of new huntsmen friends along their travels, some of which participated in, and enjoyed the kill counting contests themselves, and before they knew it, they had more or less accidentally created a large team that specialized in mass grimm extermination.

Eventually they got a little more organized, realizing that a single pack of grimm at a time just wasn't leaving enough to go around, so they divided their group into kingdom specific branches (although the term 'branches' makes it sound a lot more formal and official than it really was, working for a specific branch basically just meant that was the kingdom you were currently taking missions in), and worked out systems to make sure their kills counts weren't being embellished (what those systems are, I've yet to think of, but it's RWBY, I'm sure they have the technology for a simple kill counting AI that can be installed into basically any weapon).

Now in the modern RWBY world, the Kill Counters are a moderately well known organization that local authorities may contact if they feel nearby grimm quantities are surging to high. The organization's local branch sends in a team to take care of the request, and once the job is finished, each member of the Kill Counters has their total kills relayed to their headquarter, where they keep some form of leader board system. Any graduate of a huntsmen academy is welcome to join any of the Kill Counter branches, so long as they can pass some form of trial run (gotta make sure they can actually handle large grimm quantities and aren't just in-over-their-heads).

YIKES that turned into quite the ramble! Sorry about the text wall.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757332 - 1 month ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety I always like the idea of fan-made organizations within the RWBY world. I say go for this concept! After all, I also have my Sentry academy, my Lazuli Weapon Productions, and my [as of yet unnamed assassin organization with the 4 members of team ARIA, possibly called just that, ARIA]. Fan made organizations just make the universe of that world feel so real, more than just the 4 main characters of the show and the few locations they visit. Good shit.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757333 - 1 month ago

I gotta admit, I really like some of the doors the Kill Counter organization opens up as a concept (might make a very slight tweak to the name though since I'm not 100% sure how best to write the plural form of 'A Kill Counters member"). As for a name for your assassination group, I think I might actually have a suggestion: Cadenza. According to this source, a Cadence, in music, is "A sequence of chords that brings an end to a phrase, either in the middle or the end of a composition", which could work as a nice metaphor for how they end peoples lives. Even better, a Cadenza is specifically "Initially an improvised cadence by a soloist; later becoming an elaborate and written out passage in an aria or concerto, featuring the skills of an instrumentalist or vocalist". An "Improvised cadence" could be a metaphor for how the person they're targeting would have lived had the Cadenza Corps not gotten involved, and the fact that it's now "an elaborate and written out passage" could work as a good metaphor for the massive amounts of planning that goes into a successful assassination. The nod to it being part of an aria just makes it fit even better with the team name.

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33757346 - 1 month ago

TFW you watch Mark's video and you feel tempted to get back into doing RWBY characters and then you remember how the forums arnt super active even more. Also hi how is everyone?

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33757347 - 1 month ago

Before i go to bed have the first member of my newest team RYAL or Royal. The team is based off influential rulers and knights from history and mythology.

Name: Richard Lions

Color (Theme): Golds and Browns.

Allusion: Richard the Lion-Hearted.

Affiliation:  Team RYAL now known as RYL. Goes to Beacon Academy.

Basic Info: Age: 20, Species: Human, Height: 5’11”, Weight: 160lb, Skin: Tan/Hair: Brown/Eye color: Gold.  

Symbol: Heart shape with a lion cut out in the middle.

Appearance: Richards body type is stout and muscular with well defined abs, pectorals, biceps, etc. He has scars dotting his body from fighting Grimm and bandits, the most notable is one that goes from his left collar bone to his right hip bone and it's a clean scar made from a weapon not a grim. Lastly he is missing his left hand, the cut off point seems to be at the middle point of the forearm and it has been replaced by a piece of Atlas issued prosthetic technology.

Other minor physical features include medium length shaggy brown hair that slightly obscures his vision and a well groomed, but small, beard.

Clothing consists of a black compression shirt, dark brown work jeans. What he wears on top of that is gold and bronze colored metal plated combat boots, breast plate, pauldrons, gauntlets, cuisses (Leg Armor), and shield which appears to have been damaged judging by the diagonal seam on it. Lastly he also wears what looks to be a helmet with an open face and a crown like design.

Background/History: Born to family of noble descent, which was never accepted by those of Atlas, Richard was able to enjoy an exciting childhood filled with dreams of kings and knights thanks to all the stories his parents told him. Tales of chivalry and honor that sheltered him from the true reality of the world. Thankfully nothing bad ever happened during his youth allowing his view on the world to remain clouded by thoughts of honor and bravery.

Due to his dreams of being a mighty knight he made the choice to one day become a great huntsmen and that day eventually came. His eagerness and semblance, once he discovered it, helped him excel at his classes and training till he was sent off to Beacon. His dreams where finally coming true and he would become the knight he always wanted to be.

After arriving at Beacon he was paired with three other individuals who oddly had a lot in common with him and he was named as their leader. While nervous at first he made quick friends with these people and by their second year they were nicknamed “The Knights of the Table Round” due to all of them having some weird thing for dressing up as knights while sitting at the only round table at lunch.

Personality: Richard is a stalwart and brave man, never backs down from a fight if it's the only solution, and is unwavering in his trust towards those he cares about. He likes to talk loudly and boisterously to try and instill merriment in those around him.

Lastly his flaws are that he is ignorant to the harsher realities of the world. He always wears a smile even in the darkest of times believing that everything will be ok even when it wont. He still trusts his friends and those close to him even if they do him harm or betray him. He believes there is good in all people and that given enough time anyone can change.

Weapon: Pride & Honor are Richards longsword and shield. Pride, the longsword, is a basic blade with minor adornments and deep lines etched into its surface. The etched lines are there to trap applied dust into the blade so it can be infused with an element. Originally Honor, the shield, had a sheath like opening in it that could store and apply the dust infusions or instead fire it out as a projectile. But after the shield was broken and Richard lost his hand he decided to not fix the shield fully and instead modify his hand to act as the applicator and ranged alternative.

So now the hand has dust cartridges that fuel the dispensers lining the palm of his hand. This allows him to slide his hand across the blade thus infusing it with an element. Alternatively he can create balls of dust energy in his hand to throw at enemies.

Aura/Semblance: Warriors Judgement is the name of Richards Semblance. Unlike most semblances Richard is unable to willingly activate his, it activates at random which makes it very unreliable but also a sort of saving grace when it does activate.

The semblance causes everything Richard perceives to stop, in real time it's only a second, and when it does he is able to see a single successful strategy or maneuver that will give him and his team the edge in combat. Think of it as seeing the best possible move to make in chess. Granted it doesnt mean instant victory for Richard and his team but it does give them a temporary advantage in combat. Lastly this semblance can happen during any sort of event, not just combat, so sometimes Richard with seem to be daydreaming for a second or two before snapping back to reality.

Fighting Style:  Richard has a slow and defensive style of fighting, he likes to take his time and assess the situation before acting. Usually he remains in the back giving out commands as he figures out his strategy. When he gets into combat though he tries to defend until there's an opening for him to exploit. In short Richard is a man who waits and watches before acting, always favoring a well thought out approach to everything.

His weaknesses are that his semblance doesn't always work when he needs it, he takes his time to study and adjust to whatever enemy he’s fighting leaving him vulnerable to unpredictable attacks and aggressive combatants. Lastly his trust in others ability to be good can cause him to easily fall for tricks.

Notes/Trivia:  When Beacon fell Richard lost his arm protecting a high ranking member of the White Fang who had already surrendered. Richards teammate Arthur was the one who dealt the blow. After that Richard blacked out and now him and his team are searching for Arthur who ran away after the fall.