Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85584)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757349 - 2 months ago

In reply to LukePrather I have to wonder why you chose to make his semblance unconscious/not within his own control; it doesn't seem like a necessary nerf, which I'm assuming was the reason for doing it.

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety Oooo, I like that, I'll keep that suggestion in mind, thanks!

• LukePrather

LukePrather

#33757373 - 2 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Not meant to be a nerf, more so made to be a way to reinforce his personality and ideals. Cause if i remember correctly Semblances kinda form based off a persons personality/beliefs unless its hereditary. Like Ruby's is speed cause she always wanted to be there to help, Yangs was because she wanted to protect her sister and keep her from harm, etc. Least thats what i remember, been awhile honestly. But its to reinforce how he acts, he waits and watches before acting and only takes action once he's 100% sure it'll work. So his semblance is sorta situational, plus i thought it fit him better.  

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757377 - 2 months ago

In reply to LukePrather Hmm, if you say so, but I personally wouldn't play it like that.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33757384 - 2 months ago

Some lore tidbits from the After the Fall preview:

- Vacuo is sandy and windy (go figure) with the landscape changing fairly frequently

- Indigenous animals can be just as dangerous as Grimm 

- Most Vacuo "towns" are nomadic settlements, capable of picking up and moving at a moment's notice.They're also named after things related to rocks or stone.

- Fox's semblance is telepathy, he's also from a Vacuo tribe called the Kynete

- Food and water are at a premium in Vacuo, and mostly consist of the local fauna (mostly variations of arthropods) and cactus-like vegetation

- Someone named "Theodore" is either the headmaster or a teacher at Shade, and had it out for a chap named Bertilak, who barely graduated to become a huntsman. 

"Bertilak" by-the-by is the name of the titular Green Knight in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight". Based on his portrayal, he and my Gawain would probably not get along. 

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33757449 - 2 months ago

I kinda want to do a match against some one. Just to see what works and what i need to tweak.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757450 - 2 months ago

In reply to RyuukoDawn

Match? You mean you want someone to review your character?

• RyuukoDawn

RyuukoDawn

#33757480 - 2 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety Well that too, but I wanted to do a RWBY OC rp forum but they dont have one so nvm lol

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757481 - 2 months ago

A thought occurred to me earlier. I mentioned the possibility of giving my black hole inspired OC a light bending semblance not too long ago. Do you think that would mean they have the potential to manipulate hard light too? Cause if so, that has a lot of implications for how their semblance could interact with hard light weapons, ammunition and shields.

In reply to RyuukoDawn

Probably cause it's not very easy to just start a rp. You gotta come up with what the situation is and why the two sets of characters are meeting one another and how they know each other, if at all, and you gotta give the person or people participating in the rp a reason to even bother in the first place. Why are these characters worth spending their time on? What about this situation makes it important enough to their own characters to make it worth rp-ing? If the situation and character meeting has no lasting impact, then a rp can feel like a waist of time.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33757495 - 2 months ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

Bending light and forcibly aligning photons aren't quite the same. Bending light can be done with a prism, or water, or any medium light can pass through. But whatever force is keeping the photons in place is gonna have to be overcome if you wanna bend that light, which makes me think that it wouldn't be possible (or at the very least, absurdly difficult). It would be like trying to mold soft clay with your bare hands versus trying to mold a brick. 

• PandaBrady

PandaBrady FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757496 - 2 months ago

Semblance Idea for my "Brave little Tailor" originally it was "Her Aura grows the bigger her opponent." But now I'm thinking, "Giant Combo: Every physical Blow she lands increases in power = last blow landed. Cannot retain this after 3 seconds."

So it subverts the 7 in 1 Blow for 1 in 7 Blows.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757500 - 2 months ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

Ok. Didn't know the science angle of it. Kinda would have been cool for team combos if it was possible, but I asked mostly to know if there were any logical issues making the idea not viable, and now I know. Besides, I can still play around with the idea of them being able to make themselves, and possibly other stuff invisible, though that would definitely be a more difficult facet of their semblance than simply making everything around them blurred and distorted looking.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757515 - 2 months ago

In reply to PandaBrady I have no idea what you're saying...

• PandaBrady

PandaBrady FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757521 - 2 months ago

I have an idea for a Semblance. This is going to be used on my character based on the Brave Little Tailor, who killed 7 giants in one blow. I originally had the idea of making her Semblance that she increased in strength, the bigger her opponent. But I decided to change it and wanted some feed back. 

Her semblance would allow her to gain more power for every blow she lands within 3 seconds of each other. Basically, the more she hits a target, her power behind each punch increases exponentially. 

So she would defeat a Giant Grimm in 7 blows.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757536 - 2 months ago

In reply to PandaBrady That's pretty interesting (though the tailor from the story was a hack who killed 7 flies in one whack, not 7 giants, but ran with the misunderstanding ;p), as long as she instantly loses her 'streak' once she doesn't hit them for 3 seconds, I think it's fair.

• PandaBrady

#33757540 - 2 months ago

Right, exactly. Her character has a lot of Bravado. She will lose all of the combo if she is hit, or after 3 seconds.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757541 - 2 months ago

You ever get inspiration for something, and then immediately get frustrated that you have no ideas on how to make it work? That's my mood right now. I saw this video, and now I really wanna make a character that fights by break-dancing (you CAN NOT convince me that wouldn't look cool). Not a single clue on any other aspect of the character though. INSPIRATION  YOU ELUSIVE MUSE, WHY DO YOU EVADE ME!?!

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33757544 - 2 months ago

Sounds like you want to make a character that utilizes capoeira in their fighting style. There are plenty of examples of that martial art being used in various forms of media, so finding inspiration shouldn't be too difficult.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757550 - 2 months ago

In reply to Rakolai

If there's a form of capoeira that is basically break dancing, then yes. I can't guarantee that what I'm envisioning is similar enough to capoeira to be considered the same thing, but if it looks the same as break dancing then I'll probably call it that since it'll save time since I'll be able to type "so-and-so fights using the capoeira fighting style" as apposed to "so-and-so fights using a self-made combat technique that's almost identical in nature to break dancing".

• PandaBrady

#33757551 - 2 months ago

You could base the style off that one girl in IGPX if you've heard of it. Mecha anime with racing giant robots

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757570 - 2 months ago

In reply to PandaBrady

No, I'm not familiar with it. Not much of a fan of mechs or racing. I watch shows for the characters mostly. The only reason I watched Haikyuu (a show about a high school volleyball team call the Karasuno Crows) is because a friend of mine told me about the main character, Hinata, and he sounded like an absolute puppy character, so I gave the show a watch, and I absolutely loved 90% of the named characters in it, and the rest I was just neutral towards (except Oikawa, I hate that guy). But even if I was familiar with IGPX, I probably wouldn't wanna base one of my own characters off of another character, cause every time I use an existing character as inspiration for one of my own, the character I make ends up really boring and I forget they exist half the time, even if the character they're based off of is one I really like. Example: I made a SIN-dicate member named Cygnus who was inspired by Sugawara from Haikyuu, who's known in the Haikyuu fandom as the team mom (as someone who's watched all three seasons of the show, I can safely say that Sugawara is a great character that deserves many hugs). Cygnus is currently the SIN-dicate member I am least enthusiastic about writing for, to the point it almost feels like a chore.

• PandaBrady

#33757593 - 2 months ago

Oh, well I just meant her fighting style. I'm not super into racing anime either. The team has 3 mechs that have different specialties. The leader is a swordsman, then their were two girls, one that did martial arts dancing. I dont remember the other, I think she used a gun. Dancing girl had an episode where she got knocked out and a cat in her cockpit took over.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757600 - 2 months ago

In reply to PandaBrady

I'll probably just look up videos of break dancing at some point and figure something out. I think I might have mis-communicated a little bit when I said I didn't know how to make the character idea work. It's not so much the fighting style that I'm concerned about. I don't think it'll be too hard outside of describing it to come up with a fighting style from break dancing. Lots of opportunity for kicks and evasive maneuvers with something like that. What I'm worried about making work is the character themself. The video gave me inspiration for a fighting style, but I didn't get any inspiration for any other aspect of the character (personality, appearance, backstory, weapon, semblance, etc.). Usually when I get a bit of inspiration for a character, that inspiration covers at least two or three of the major bases for character creation (usually the personality and appearance, plus one extra, usually either a vague idea of their fighting style or an important aspect to their history). It's really weird for me to try and make a character with the fighting style being the only detail I have in mind to guide the rest of the creation process. Usually I use whatever inspiration I got to guide the other character categories that I didn't get inspiration for, and since I usually get two or three categories of inspiration, with personality almost always being one of them, that usually give a pretty solid idea of what the character will ultimately be like, which helps me figure out what would work best in the other categories. 

Example: Last night I was messing around with an online character creator, mostly just for fun, when I actually got a bit of inspiration. Ever watched the Youtube channel Game Theory? I got inspiration for a design from the colors of their logo (and some of their merchandise that I recently ordered), and as I was putting the design together, a personality idea fell into place, smart, yet sassy, and not long before I finished the design I knew I wanted her to have some kind of glowing green circuit board aesthetic to whatever power I end up giving her (I say power and not semblance because I haven't decided if I want to make her a RWBY OC or a BNHA OC yet).

• PandaBrady

#33757602 - 2 months ago

Oh!kay. That makes more sense. Need any help? What's their other team members like?

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33757603 - 2 months ago

In reply to PandaBrady

I appreciate the offer for help, but I'm actually trying to cut back on how much I ask for advice around here. I feel like I ask for ideas way too often (and feel really bad any time I have to say 'no, I don't think that idea quite fits'), and it's pretty darn rare that I can think of any ideas to help other people out. I kinda feel like I've been overly reliant on ideas from other people, and I'd probably be more proud of my characters if I actually put an entire one together 100% on my own for a change. I don't mind getting feedback or suggestions on how to better balance something, but I should probably at least attempt to get better at coming up with the base ideas on my own. Plus, I honestly have no idea what their team (if they'll even be on one) is like. I don't really like focusing on my characters in the context of them being on a team. I know that can help balance a team out, but I feel like focusing on making a team with varying skills sets (skill sets likely to be influenced by the personality) can make it harder to create characters that are well written, because I'd be writing their personalities to fit the group dynamic, as oppose to making characters that can stand out on their own and still be entertaining and/or compelling. The only idea I'm really toying around with at the moment is making them a member of the Kill Counter group idea I came up with about a page or two back.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33758000 - 1 month ago

Sorry for the double post, but as dead as it is here at the moment, I have no idea how much longer I'd have to wait for someone else to post before me. I just got a great idea for a weapon that I think I'm gonna give to my nebula inspired OC. I got the inspiration for it from Mark Zhang's Regalia trailer, and the song "Pop Culture" by Icon for Hire (the latter mostly just gave me ideas for some combat maneuvers the weapon could be used for). It's basic form would be a double headed axe, but with a handle the length of a pole arm (I don't know a lot of weapon terminology, so I don't know what an accurate exact name for that would be). Each head of the axe could have a corresponding trigger on the handle to activate gravity dust in the blade, resulting in the blade being pulled in that direction (great for making upward slices easier, or for adding extra power to a downward or sideways slash), and any enemies that are too close being pulled towards the blade (great for enemies like beowolves that have a tendency to lean forward). Additionally, the axe heads would be connected via a circular ring, so they can be launched from the handle to act as a chakram (imagine it sliding down the pole some while spinning to wind up, then getting launched in time with a swing of the handle). The gravity dust could be remotely activated to draw enemies towards the chakram as it's flying, and then an additional gravity dust function in the handle could pull in back. While the chakram/axe heads are flying, the handle can be used like a staff, so the character won't be completely defenseless.

EDIT: Also, can I just say I am VERY proud of myself here. I think this is only the second RWBY weapon I've come up with on my own, and I really like how it turned out. Oddly enough, the other weapon I made myself used a similar gravity dust function, calling back a bladed boomerang that was the blade of a sickle/axe weapon of some kind (I seriously need to learn more weapon terminology). For some reason, all my best ideas involve gravity dust. I think I may just try to find a way to use gravity dust in all the weapons for this outer-space themed team I'm putting together, cause Clair De Lune (my moon inspired OC) is the one with the boomerang/spear/sickle-axe weapon, and gravity just makes sense to use in some way for my black hole character. Gravity is just a really relevant theme for anything in outer space really.