Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (85583)

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33759599 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to Shadow-elements

Not a problem. I ask for help with weapon and semblance ideas around here all the time. It'd be kinda stingy if I didn't contribute the ONE time I've actually got a decent idea to suggest in return.

In reply to Rakolai

I mean, there's already a limited amount of difference between Sun and Blake's semblances, and if remnant's population is even a quarter of earth's then it seems likes a statistic impossibility that NO two people have semblances that are functionally identical, so yeah, can't say I'm surprised to hear that.

• PandaBrady

PandaBrady FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759607 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to Rakolai

Yeah I saw that. Finally clearing things up there. Also, stop by and say hi. I'm dressed as Yatsuhashi

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33759986 - 2 days ago

So I was doing some research for a Dungeons & Dragons character I wanted to make, and I saw a picture that gave a GREAT idea for a RWBY weapon, and best of all, it's for a violin! ....Sort of! ....Let me explain. The picture was of a bard that was using a violin, but when I looked a little closer I realized that the handle of the violin bow had the hilt of a rapier sword. And that's essentially the starting point of the weapon idea. The string of the bow is hidden inside the blade, and the metal part extends into the full length of the blade. It'll still need some additional RWBY-fying, and I might give the violin itself some form of dust functionality (unoriginal, but it's all I can think of to weaponize the instrument itself), but it's nice to finally have SOME idea for a violin related weapon since I've been trying to think of one for I don't even know how long now.

Also, for those of you who might be curious, this is the picture I saw.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759992 - 1 day ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety Perhaps the grip (is that what it's called?) of the violin can end in a gun barrel? xD

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33759993 - 1 day ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I believe that's called the "neck".

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33759996 - 1 day ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I don't really want to mix a gun with a violin. It thematically clashes too much in my opinion. A violin says "elegant and graceful, with very delicate and intricate movements, something completely unnecessary, yet beautiful", but a gun says "simple, systematic movements, made for efficiency and practicality, and often militaristic in style". Plus I can't see the character I have in mind using a gun. Her design is inspired by swans and ballet outfits (not the Swan Lake ballet, just ballet outfits and regular swans), and I can't really mentally mix something with that much emphasis on graceful and elegant movements with something that immediately brings to mind mental pictures of people in rows almost mechanically firing, reloading, and firing again.

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33760001 - 1 day ago

In reply to Jacinta-Capelety

Rather than a rapier, you could probably consider using a backsword, which is any kind of sword with a single-edged blade and a one-handed hilt. An example that I found on Wiki is British heavy cavalry sword, which seems like it would match the shape of a violin bow rather well if it were to be shortened a bit.

Svenska_palascher_cropped.jpg

In this case, you could have a groove along the backside of the blade that exposes the hair of the bow, which would allow for the weapon to be simply turned around in the hand in order to be used to play the instrument.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33760004 - 1 day ago

In reply to Rakolai

I think I wanna stick with the rapier. It's the most elegant kind if sword I'm aware of, what with the intricately designed handles and the thin, needle-like shape of the blade. The tricky part is just thinking of some additional RWBY-fying features to add, since there's already two rapiers in cannon, Weiss's dust-wand-rapier (I'm not even going to attempt to spell its' name, I WILL fail), and Ilia's electrified whip-rapier. If it's going to use dust at all, it's gonna be via the violin itself, probably using either string tuning, fret positions, or strings played as the controlling factor in what kind of dust gets used (unless I decide she's only going to use one type of dust, which is a possibility I'm considering, since using dust via a violin, wind dust is the only one I can imagine a visual effect for).