Forums > RWBY

Bumblebee Pairing: All The Reasons Why It Makes Sense

Posts (728)

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33754012 - 5 months ago

In reply to Thrythlind 

The main issue right now is whether or not CRWBY will stop ship baiting and just go with it. How they execute depends on how much effort they can make, or else the backlash will get bigger on the next volume.

Let's hope most of those romantic shipping potential won't get butchered by the writers unless it's on purpose.

• Thrythlind

Thrythlind FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754015 - 5 months ago

To be honest, if the writers aren't interested in romance it's probably best they don't try to write it and leave that sort of thing to the fans. Because if it's not the sort of sub-genre they're interested in they will definitely do it poorly.

• Irishtiger21

Irishtiger21 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754130 - 5 months ago

Here's a very well-thought out, logical analysis of why BumbleBY was always the endgame plan and why so many people have or had trouble seeing it:

https://rwbytalk.wordpress.com/2019/01/31/sorry-rwby-fans-bumblebee-didnt-come-out-of-the-blue/

I've shipped BumbleBY for five years and there's even a couple things in the article I hadn't yet seen or considered.

• erepin

erepin

#33754359 - 5 months ago

In reply to Irishtiger21

To be honest, until Volume 5 I fell into the camp that thought Bumblebee was a cute fan ship, but that there wasn't a lot of evidence of it being a real thing in RWBY. In fact, I'd go so far as to call almost all the arguments serious over-reach.

However... in Volume 5 there were conversational hints that both Blake and Yang were more strongly bonded than had previously been obvious, and that other characters had noticed this. Even then, it could've been just because they were very close friends, but you could at least argue that they were foreshadowing Bumblebee in the future.

And Volume 6 pretty much sealed it for me. Yes, girls can hold hands in a platonic fashion. But looking through RWBY, there isn't a lot of platonic hand-holding going on. Ruby and Penny is the only example I think of. In fact, it's pretty clear that Yang and Blake hold hands more often than all the other characters combined. Furthermore, the look over the shoulder that Blake gives Yang in Episode 10 is pretty blatant. I certainly know what I'd be thinking if a girl looked at me that way.

So even though Bumblebee isn't confirmed, I'm pretty convinced that CRWBY are going to run with it.

So, having come to that conclusion, you can now look back at Volumes 1 to 5, and suddenly a lot of the stuff that was weak evidence of Bumblebee at the time now looks like foreshadowing. And that was probably CRWBY's intent. It seems likely now that CRWBY had Bumblebee in mind as a possibility from fairly early in the show.

But that's in hindsight. :)

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33754360 - 5 months ago

In reply to erepin

At this point, it really still could go either way: romantic, or "sisters-in-arms".  Given the hunter system in general is designed to pair people up, one has to figure that developing such strong bonds was part of why they did that.  My interest is in how the fanbase will react if they go the latter, and if it goes the former, if it really was the plan from the beginning.

• Irishtiger21

Irishtiger21 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754365 - 5 months ago

In reply to erepin

I have to disagree with the first part; while some evidence from the early volumes could be reaching, I think most of it is completely plausible and valid. While I wasn't certain BumbleBY was going to become canon until this last volume, I saw the bond they were building in volume 3 and it was then that I believed the ship had an actual chance of becoming canon. The evidence at that point certainly wasn't enough to say it was for certain going to happen, but it put it at an even chance with BlackSun, whose buildup, while overt, was quite shallow compared to BumbleBY. 

The rest of your post I more or less agree with, though. The biggest take away is that they took two completely different approaches to BlackSun and BumbleBY; BlackSun had the overt, tropey, yet shallow romantic buildup whereas with BumbleBY the buildup was subtle, subversive of the typical romantic tropes, and much more emotionally deep/significant. And I definitely believe that was the intent; I think CRWBY wanted to accomplish two things: a) build an emotionally deep, subtle, and earned LGBT+ romance and b) subvert the usually sure-fire m/f typical romance and have them end up as friends, instead.

That's just my take on what they're doing, how I've perceived it. I can't blame most people for being more skeptical about it, given typical handling of ships in most shows, especially potential LGBT+ ships.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754368 - 5 months ago

In reply to Irishtiger21

for me I became pretty certain during a certain "goddamn it Barb" moment in Vol 2, namely "If you feel like coming out tomorrow, I'll save you a dance" this wouldn't be as significant if Yang was voiced by anyone else, but given that Yang inherits her VA's puns... As for "sisters-in-arms" that would most likely be Ruby and Weiss, they are playing their relationship sufficiently different from the ship pairs (Renora and Bumblebee) 

• Irishtiger21

#33754370 - 5 months ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

I agree with all of that, except I didn't think much of that line in Burning the Candle until after everything in volume 3 happened. It was one of those things with BumbleBY that gained new meaning after later things happen.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754371 - 5 months ago

In reply to Irishtiger21

To be fair, I also don't think that Yang would have done the laser pointer thing unless she 'knew' they would laugh it off later 

• Irishtiger21

#33754372 - 5 months ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

No, I don't think so, either; she's never shown herself to be insensitive towards Blake and/or the Faunus, so she had to have felt comfortable enough with Blake to do that.

• erepin

erepin

#33754381 - 5 months ago

As to the laser pointer thing... I took that as a joke aimed directly at the viewers, rather than as a character moment. CRWBY wanted to do it, and Yang was the only character that could pull it off, but it wasn't meant to show anything about Yang's character.

• Claire_Royce

Claire_Royce

#33755903 - 3 months ago

Anyone else waiting for them to confirm the relationship just so the toxicity in the shipping wars (hopefully) stops? It's really sad that it's spiraled to this point because they're seemingly afraid to commit.

And then the other side of the confirmation is going to either be pissed off BlackSun shippers or BumbleBy shippers. This all around has been handled so poorly. I'm still all for BumbleBy but the BlackSun baiting caused such unnecessary issues. Or vice versa if they don't end up making BumbleBy cannon.

• MichaelHalpe

#33755929 - 3 months ago

In reply to Claire_Royce

I don't think they could have handled it a whole lot better, not without making one non-existent. However it is only a vocal minority that's really toxic I've found, most people I've talked to will be ok either way but they support one ship over the other. Mind you I don't look at Reddit or Tumblr

• jj41

jj41 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33756170 - 3 months ago

I've been lurking around reading a lot of comments on bumblby on many YouTube comment sections. I've seen a lot of hate for this ship in particular for some reason, a lot of people say this is a forced pairing to pander to fans, which I don't agree with. Most of these comments I've seen have been from people who are upset on how Adam went down in volume 6. I feel most of the hate is coming from that than anything. Here are my thoughts on this. I do not think bumblby is official, yet. Let me explain. In all of volume 1 and 2 I see Blake and Yang's relationship being purely platonic. Yes Yang opened up to Blake and got her to come to the dance and even dance with her, but Yang is also a very flirty character. There are many arguments for and against this showing the "beginning" of the bumblby ship. This is just my take on the scene itself. In volume 3 I see Yang showing more of a romantic interest in Blake. One example is when Yang is put under house arrest after 'injuring' Mercury. Yang received the biggest hit after Blake didn't believe in her right away, which cause her to openly start to cry. Again this can be considered to be more of a sisterly bond but that reaction felt too strong to just be a platonic bond. We all know how the scene with Adam went down at the end of the volume. That pushed it more towards the romantic side as well, in my opinion anyhow. During volume 4 we got very little development between the 2 for obvious reasons (they were all separated). But Blake had that conversation with Sun after he was injured by Illia. When she brought up her teammates her voice did noticeably crackle when she mentioned Yang, which shows a stronger emotion towards her. However I'm not sure if this was actually romantic inclined or not. I think this stronger emotion for Yang from Blake is more from a guilt standpoint. She blames her self for what Adam did. Blake might have romantic feeling's towards Yang at this point but her guilt is not allowing her to realize it, if it is romantic. In volume 5 we the development from Yang's side from her conversation with Weiss. Because Yang basically wears her emotions on her sleeve I fully see Yang having romantic feelings towards Blake and that is why her running away hurt her so much. Volume 6 is interesting. The whole volume people who are for bumblby have basically said the ship was now canon since episode 1 of this volume. I disagree. Yes, Blake was basically sticking with Yang, trying not to leave her side for any reason the entire volume. But I do not see this as romantic, this to me was guilt ridden. Blake is trying way too hard to get Yang to forgive her somehow for what happen to her arm. Blake is becoming over protective of Yang not because of love but because of guilt. After the ordeal with Adam and Blake's little emotional breakdown and they return to the others we see Ruby notice the hand holding and gives a look to Yang, which she in turns gives a confirmation. This shows that Yang is fully open to pursue a romantic relationship with Blake. However we don't really know where Blake stands. Does Blake also want to pursue a romantic ship with Yang, I feel she would but she is so guilt ridden that I don't know if that is there with her or not. That would be an interesting dynamic though if in future volumes they become a couple but Blake is doing it to make Yang happy because of her guilt. Would this be the relationship that people want out of the show? No, but I feel it would make this more interesting as not all relationship's are perfect. I could have gone into more detail but I feel I have already written a mini-essay that I feel not many people will want to read through so I will end this here. These are just my thoughts and opinion's as nothing is technically proven unless it's shown in the show proper.

• MichaelHalpe

#33756172 - 3 months ago

In reply to jj41

Please split up your paragraphs

Yt comments and such are very prone to echo chamber

• MichaelHalpe

#33756193 - 3 months ago

In reply to jj41

I for the most part agree with you, vol 6 was mostly Blake and Yang reconciling, Yang getting used to having her back again and establishing "rules" for Blake, and Blake getting past her guilt. At least until just before the fight with Adam, when Yang teases Blake and Blake has nothing short of a flustered response. This is the first time that Blake has an overtly romantic reaction since a small amount of blushing (towards Sun) in vol 3. This is doubly important because RWBY does a lot of the development through action and around action scenes. 

Now before getting into the narrative significance of Blake & Yang defeating Adam TOGETHER, Blake's "we're protecting each other" speech goes back to Yang establishing the rules of their relationship earlier in the volume, and can be seen as Blake acknowledging her terms and accepting her rules (or at least that specific one). The post fight bit is showing how much Blake needs Yang too thus forming the official starting point for them.

• Bumblebee4life

Bumblebee4life

#33756269 - 3 months ago

my problem is more that the whole thing felt like it was a bit fast tracked

• MichaelHalpe

#33756283 - 3 months ago

In reply to Bumblebee4life

Well one thing to consider, is that one of their friends is dead, Which serves as one hell of a reminder that life is short 

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33756667 - 3 months ago

tumblr_pochdltzY41v7wvvp_400.jpg

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pod3giPw7v1v8qd35_720.mp4

So just out of curiosity since I'm not one for mobile games... Do any other characters in Amity Arena get stuff like this? Because in light of volume 6 and all the foreshadowing leading up to it this looks like a pretty deliberate case of RT doubling down on basically confirming Bumblebee is canon, without actually confirming that it's canon since the story hasn't quite reached that point yet. I'm really looking forward to when Volume 7 finally let's the cat completely out of the bag.  blake yang

• Dark_REYvn3

Dark_REYvn3

#33757195 - 2 months ago

I just wanna start by saying: Bumblebee forever!

But seriously, it was hinted at in seasons 1-4, but in seasons 5 and 6 it has become pretty much canon. There was so many bumblebee moments, that literally my sister (who has no concept of privacy) and who has never seen the show, started spying over my shoulder and after watching part of season 6 episode 11 she was like "Are they gay?" She can see it, and she hasn't even seen the show. So seriously the only people denying the canonical truth of Bumblebee are haters and people who ship other ships. And hello? The bumblebee song? Ya know  BMBLB by Jeff Williams. Like how much more proof do you need? 

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757205 - 2 months ago

In reply to Dark_REYvn3

And hello? The bumblebee song? Ya know  BMBLB by Jeff Williams. Like how much more proof do you need? 

Speaking of songs:

"Red like roses.... White is cold... Black the beast... Yellow beauty"

First song in the fricking show and one of these things is not like the others. Yang is based on Goldilocks, so why is her part of the lyrics not referencing that like the others do? Because her story is intimately tied to Blake's. They form "Beauty and the Beast" together. Although ironically their roles are actually reversed, with Yang being the Beast, Blake being Beauty (and Adam being Gaston/the curse).

• MichaelHalpe

#33757271 - 2 months ago

In reply to Dark_REYvn3

I just wanna start by saying: Bumblebee forever!

But seriously, it was hinted at in seasons 1-4, but in seasons 5 and 6 it has become pretty much canon. There was so many bumblebee moments, that literally my sister (who has no concept of privacy) and who has never seen the show, started spying over my shoulder and after watching part of season 6 episode 11 she was like "Are they gay?" She can see it, and she hasn't even seen the show. So seriously the only people denying the canonical truth of Bumblebee are haters and people who ship other ships. And hello? The bumblebee song? Ya know  BMBLB by Jeff Williams. Like how much more proof do you need? 

We have a bit of a rule here a song is only cannon once it has been in the actual show, or a trailer/character short. BMBLB doesn't qualify yet. HOWEVER, "Wings", "Red Like Roses pt1", "Like Morning follows night" (listen to the lyrics on the Blake lines), "Armed & Ready", "All that Matters" and "Nevermore" all do. Wings makes more sense in there when you listen to All that Matters, but it does have the context clues for Blake and Yang

• arveill

arveill FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757703 - 2 months ago

In reply to JayAzhure  Hi, I agree with all your points as there is definitely a lot of evidence supporting Bumblebee. haven't read all of the posts yet so I don't know if someone else has pointed this out, when Yang and Blake face off against Adam (Who I Wouldn't be surprised is still alive given both missed his heart) The language used indicates Adam believes they are a couple an example being when he says 'what does she even see in you  To me that  isn' t something you would say  if you didn't think people were a couple. Also the way Yang and Blake touch each other when the fight is incredibly intimate,Yang (sorry lost the word) holding Blake's face; their foreheads touching, Blake holding Yang's hand.   In my opinion this level of intimacy is more in line with lovers than friends, I never really shipped before Rwby but having watched it I honestly believe Yang and Blake will end up together, sorry for the poor explanation I'm not really good at that sort of thing.

• MichaelHalpe

#33757836 - 1 month ago

In reply to arveill

They didn't miss his lungs and he went face first unconscious into the water

• Irishtiger21

#33757840 - 1 month ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

In reply to arveill

Also, on the RWBY Rewind after episode 12, Kerry Shawcross confirmed Adam is, in fact, dead.