Forums > RWBY

Broken Moon Theory

Posts (26)

• Grate_Oracle_Lewot

Grate_Oracle_Lewot FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32952542 - 2 years ago

Okay, so if there's a way to search topics, I haven't found it, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

We know that Remnant's moon rotates to alternately show and hide its shattered side, but that it doesn't go through the phases of our moon (full moon, half moon, new moon, etc.). This suggests that the moon gives off its own light, rather than reflecting the light of the sun.

So... what if the moon is entirely made of Dust, and all of the Dust in Remnant fell there when the moon shattered? After all, Dust often glows.

Of course, it usually glows when it's being activated by Aura, so, I dunno.

• CitCat66

CitCat66

#32952927 - 2 years ago

In reply to Grate_Oracle_Lewot

Interesting. So then, how does it change from being just white to the different colored gems that they have right now?

Also, what do you think caused the moon to be broken up?

• OrbitalShock

OrbitalShock

#32957448 - 2 years ago

In reply to CitCat66

To clarify a bit through science... If you send a beam of white light through a clear (preferably triangular) prism, the light emitted from the other side will be a rainbow, showing that white light is a combination of all colors of light. With the assumption that the Moon itself gives off a white light, we can easily assume that the moon itself is actually large enough to be a plethora of colors on the surface, but to the human eye it would appear to be white.

As for why it's shattered, there could be many reasons, such as meteors, missiles, other planets, or an impact with remnant itself.

I like this theory.

• PepsiDragon

PepsiDragon

#32962070 - 2 years ago

In reply to Grate_Oracle_Lewot Maybe, but in the WoR CCTS we learn that dust becomes less effective as it gets further from the surface of the planet. This seems to suggest that the source of the dust and its power is on, or around, the planet somewhere. It did say as it got higher in the atmosphere it gets less effective so maybe dust actually needs air? It is unclear. If it becomes less effective linearly it is unlikely to be affected by the air itself. If it were exponential it would be at best inconclusive. It could be anything.

So could dust glow on the moon? It is still possible that it glows, as it doesn't say that dust stops working. So gather enough weak dust together it could start shining enough like that so it could be seen.

As for the moon being shattered like it is. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The broken pieces would either have to be in orbit around the rest of the moon, or just fall back down to it, but what we see in the show is entirely inconsistent with that. So whatever is going on with the moon is strange. Maybe dust is the explanation for it too?

• Vivamort

Vivamort FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32962255 - 2 years ago

My theory as to why the moon is broken is that in the forgotten past of Remnant, Remnant was called Earth and those silly humans of that time had a devastating war that included weapons in space and on the moon. Besides breaking the moon, man was knocked back into the stone age and perhaps due to the funky effects of weapons that were used it gave rise to Grimm and/or Dust. I always felt it was a story device to show that Remnant was far in the future of earth.. and they are all just Remnants of us... their forgotten past, that are talked about in the Episode 1 intro.

• PepsiDragon

PepsiDragon

#32962562 - 2 years ago

In reply to equinox-class_Grimm He said it was the moon rotating. While we only see one side of our moon, because it is tidally locked, remnant's moon is not tidally locked as you can see it rotating. Not the same as how our moon phases.

@Vivamort

Interesting idea. I would imagine that remnant would resemble earth in same way then? Unless said war changed the face of earth, literally.

An addition to what I said before. Whatever gives the dust its power on remnant might also exist on the moon so there is another possibility as to why dust would glow on the moon.

• HumanoidTypeGrimm

HumanoidTypeGrimm

#32962795 - 2 years ago

The Moon made a stupid Insult to Yang while being in reach of her Fist.

The Result = the "broken Face" of the Moon. Case solved. ( just kidding xDD )

Please dont lynch me. I couldnt resist being ridiculous.

• OGEhKanadian

OGEhKanadian

#32964275 - 2 years ago

So lets think. If dust becomes less powerful away from the planet. Based on how rocket fuel burns in space (packing its own oxygen), and how the only form of dust shown to be tested was fire, maybe Remnant has not figured out, or at least not yet, how to get the fire dust to work with little to no oxygen (essentially making a space rocket). Therefore it is viable (in RWBY) that the moon may have its own atmosphere with its own oxygen and having dust first, before crashing in to the world. And what do we all know to be in-between the Earth and the Moon? The vacuum of space.

Or I could be pulling that theory completely out my ass and it is possible that the moon in RWBY formed how our moon formed. A meteor crashed into our planet and threw up debris to form the moon. And in Remnant, their moon isn't fully formed. Now the question is, what came first, dust on Earth or dust on Celeistial bodies?

• Vivamort

Vivamort FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32964321 - 2 years ago

I think it loses power because there is there is no Aura in space for it to interact with.

• fireflyrocked

fireflyrocked FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32964334 - 2 years ago

In reply to Vivamort

You're right. Earth science rules don't apply on Remnant.

• OGEhKanadian

OGEhKanadian

#32964357 - 2 years ago

In reply to Vivamort

how ever not every one has a large aura. I'm sure the shop keep does not have a large aura. And if they thought to combine all the aura, which I'm sure they did, I still think they still won't get that far.

• fireflyrocked

fireflyrocked FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32964369 - 2 years ago

In reply to OGEhKanadian

Hey man! Don't be dissin Shopkeep. He works half a dozen jobs and still only says :uhhhuah. He's the only friggin Ogee-san on the show. Respect dude!

• OGEhKanadian

OGEhKanadian

#32964393 - 2 years ago

I like Old Man Shop Keep. First person that came to mind when I thought "Not Main Character".... So lets go with a random pedestrian... you think they have a large aura? What I'm trying to say is I don't think dust has to do with aura. Its just a fuel... Do you use gasoline any different than me? I put it in my car just like everyone else.

• fireflyrocked

#32964406 - 2 years ago

In reply to OGEhKanadian

No I was just bustin. I totally agree that the average extra, student, person on this show lacks the power to do or be anything special. Thats why the story is so awesome. I really don't know why this show affects me (and I didn't misspell that) but it does.

• thatwunguy05

thatwunguy05 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33119038 - 2 years ago

Remnant is called remnant because it's a remnant of the moon duh!!!! The moon is the main planet and Remnant is just a piece of that planet that is surviving through unknown means. It is probably being held together by magic.

• thatwunguy05

thatwunguy05 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33119039 - 2 years ago

This theory explains how Remnant is a planetoid orbiting the moon! Check it

http://www.npc016.com/post/136090156297/crack-theo...

• j03l3863

j03l3863 \\--;;;------->

#33352402 - 1 year ago

In reply to thatwunguy05

Both the most plausible and most interesting theory.  I very much agree with this theory.

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33352418 - 1 year ago

In reply to equinox-class_Grimm

DUDE BEFORE HE DIED HE SAID THAT THE MOON BREAKING AND REFORMING IS ACTUALLY ITS PHASING.

Link your proof or stop yelling

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33352423 - 1 year ago

In reply to Vivamort

In reply to OGEhKanadian

If we go with a smaller atmosphere for the WoR moon then who's (besides Monty of course) to say it [dust] doesn't regain a usable energy when it lands on Remnant?

• SeveRM

SeveRM FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33602162 - 1 year ago

In reply to PhantomAC

Hi, sorry for replying to a 6 month old post, but I believe he's talking about this which Monty said at Hanabee 2013 :) 

He said that's what's happening (it reforming), and why that's happening we'll find out. Quite amazing really how far in advance he planned, I mean, this was said during Volume 1, not long after Volume 1 started if I'm not mistaken, as we've found out with Volume 3, Salem was planned since before the show started, and it looks like the moon was planned before the show started as well. And that's incredible, we've finished Volume 4 and we still haven't learnt anything about it yet. I just find it really awesome and interesting how far in advance he planned :)

• PhantomAC

#33602322 - 1 year ago

In reply to SeveRM Thank you for that link. How exciting to hear there will be a tie-in to the moon and not leave it hanging there like they did in Soul Eater. (Pretty, but pointless)

Cheers! beers

• melik3k

melik3k

#33690769 - 7 months ago

PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED VOLUME 5 YET In reply to SeveRM I believe, because of the interesting backstory we got in volume 5, that the shattered moon has something to do with Ozpin and Salem. Oscar (with Ozpin's mind in temporary control) says that the Gods had bestowed the burden of never actually being able to die upon him because he failed to stop Salem in the past. We know that he wielded a huge amount of magic, while in no need of dust, and that Salem could control the Grimm. Maybe Salem destroyed the moon to leave a mark on Remnant of her power and possibly to remind Ozpin of his failure as a protector of the world. Just my opinion.

• thatwunguy05

#33690775 - 7 months ago

Salem, the narrator, in vol 1 said we are "remnants" of a forgotten past.  The "planet" is called Remnant.  And the forgotten past is the moon which Remnant actually used to be a part of.  And all the other moon pieces are also "remnants".  Qrow said "She's trying to divide us and she's doing a damn good job", then looks UP at the moon.  So there must be humans on the moon that the rest of humanity was separated from.  "Shattering the moon and bloodying the sky" (from the song "Die") means that Salem didn't only just decimate a planet, she also took many lives in the process.

• luminedracone

luminedracone

#33691208 - 7 months ago

From what I saw in V5C11, the moon looks sort of hollow inside. The Gods created humanity with the power to both create and destroy and left them alone at sort of an experiment to see which side would win, light or dark. But there was a problem, the Grimm. Leaving them on Remnant would add an outside force that would skew the results of the experiment. The God of Light being a god of creation cannot destroy and the God of Darkness would not want to get rid of on of his greatest creations so they instead locked the Grimm inside the moon. Somehow the moon was broken setting the Grimm free onto Remnant. It is possible that when Ozpin failed to stop Salem the first time around whatever she did when she got hold of the Relics ended up cracking the moon open.

• Demen

Demen

#33719559 - 3 months ago

In reply to Grate_Oracle_Lewot

There's also the possibility is that Salem was sealed away in the moon. That would mean Ozpin's failure to stop Salem is he failed to keep her sealed away in the moon and she broke out fracturing the moon.