Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (1755)

• DragonicDoom

DragonicDoom

#33717664 - 3 months ago

Burst

-For one second at a time the user can launch in a straight line at high speeds

-The user stores the kinetic energy until they unleash it all at once

-Can only move in straight lines and requires a few seconds before being usable again

Stand Still

-Whenever user isn't moving they can charge up power

-Charges muscle strength and the boost can be stored until a later time

-Requires the user to be completely still to use, leaving them vulnerable

Sturdy

-User boosts their Aura's strength

-User is unable to move while doing so

-Repeated use can cause exhaustion

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33717679 - 3 months ago

Semblance: Null

Positive: Nullifies other semblances.

Negative: The semblance that is nullified must be used on the one who has the Null semblance. It can only work with one person at a time.

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33717680 - 3 months ago

In reply to DragonicDoom

Wait, Jaune's semblance is "Sturdy" but more than that. Basically minus all the negatives except the repeated use causes exhaustion since I think that's true to everyone using aura and their semblances.

• DragonicDoom

DragonicDoom

#33717684 - 3 months ago

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet This isn't like Jaune's where it boosts others' Auras, its only for the user. Plus it doesn't mean they heal fast, just that their Aura is even tougher than normal. The user essentially makes their Aura denser and more durable than normal. Also I should've made this clearer but it can only be used for a few seconds at a time. Think of it like clenching a muscle, you can only do it so many times before you wear yourself out and even then you can only sustain it for a short time. 

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33717691 - 3 months ago

In reply to DragonicDoom

Just the shielding effect of aura I see.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33717698 - 3 months ago

In reply to DragonicDoom But semblances are fueled by aura. This is a perpetual motion machine in aura form; it fuels itself. How is that possible? Where does the aura come from and where does it go? no one make a cotton eye Joe reference or else

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33717729 - 3 months ago

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet

Time Hop only puts people/objects in a timeout, it doesn't actually do that much by itself. Maybe add a recharge limitation so that it can't be spammed but just being able to use it on yourself is almost completely worthless.

• DragonicDoom

DragonicDoom

#33717741 - 3 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Isn't it kinda the same with Jaune's. I know I just said its different to Jaune's semblance and its mainly due to it sending Aura to an outside source but its the same argument: if Jaune's semblance is powered by Aura but its literally Aura Amplification then how is he not immediately burning through it all. I know he has a lot but remember that he's using up Aura to sustain a shield around himself, power his semblance and amplify Weiss' Aura. I mean seriously the guy must have like triple the amount of anyone else to do that. But back to my semblance. The original idea was to essentially focus Aura into a certain point to make it much denser and more powerful so it could block attacks that would otherwise be too much to handle. Finally, the exact quite about the relationship between Aura and Semblance is "General rule of thumb is: If you’re out of Aura, you can’t use your Semblance." Keyword there is "general" so its possible that only certain types of Semblances actually require Aura, such as Weiss' to generate her glyphs or Ruby's to give her the energy to move at incredible speed. I won't go into detail about all of them since that would spawn an entirely new debate. 

• FeelingFeline

FeelingFeline

#33717755 - 3 months ago

In reply to DragonicDoom

It's more like, instead of using fuel to power a car (a Semblance), Jaune has the power to lend someone else fuel. In that case, it isn't technically powered by Aura, it's just the transference of it. 

Also, I think you might be reading too much into the quote. It says general, but if the purpose of the line is to establish a rule, trying your hardest to find a loophole seems a bit silly! It's cooler to follow the show's laws and make something that really feels like it fits in canon, anyways~

• DragonicDoom

DragonicDoom

#33717859 - 3 months ago

In reply to FeelingFeline Yeah to put it simply "Semblances need Aura to work, except for a few examples because the plot demands it"

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33717880 - 3 months ago

In reply to DragonicDoom Jaune's semblance needs aura to work. He's not an exception. He gives others aura, not himself. That means that, since semblances are fueled by aura, he basically uses his aura to give others more aura (or boost it or amplify it or whatever). No aura is lost or randomly created. It goes from Jaune to whomever he is affecting with his semblance. A semblance that boosts the user, however, would cost aura to gain aura, which makes 0 sense.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33717905 - 3 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Judging by the Cardin incident it seems that Jaune can boost his own Aura. However that's likely more of a matter of being able to spend more Aura in one go to get a greater effect than he could normally create than it is making Aura from nothing. Basically buffing Defense/Healing/whatever at the cost of endurance/stamina.

• FeelingFeline

FeelingFeline

#33717914 - 3 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

Actually, since it's been confirmed that the defensive barrier of Aura is something created consciously, and Jaune had only recently had his unlocked, it's likely that that was just his regular Aura shield being properly used for the first time.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33717984 - 3 months ago

In reply to FeelingFeline

If that was the first time he used Aura defensively he would have been crushed when he tried to block the Deathstalkers strike. Plus at no other point in the series do we ever see someone hurting themselves from striking someone with Aura, nor do we see that much light from activating a defensive Aura. I think he can also buff himself in Grimm Eclipse? Not sure about that last one.

• FeelingFeline

FeelingFeline

#33718008 - 3 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

He blocked the Deathstalker strike with his shield, yeah? I'm not sure what that has to do with using his aura as a forcefield.

The logical thing to assume for your second point is that either Jaune just has that much aura, or Cardin wasn't using his because he was just casually tossing Jaune around. He wasn't expecting the kid's aura to suddenly flair up, it wasn't exactly a serious combat situation. Methinks the light was just a strange artistic choice, since it's not like Jaune's Semblance has that much light either.

• DragonicDoom

DragonicDoom

#33718068 - 3 months ago

Honestly this whole debate has gone way beyond the original point so I'm just gonna try and end it by changing the Semblance idea: 

Sturdy

-The user condenses their Aura in a specific area anywhere on their body

-Requires focus and concentration to maintain

-If the user loses focus their Aura will redistribute evenly

-Other areas of the body are now less protected and attacks aimed there will cause more significant damage

This Semblance doesn't need Aura to fuel it or activate but it needs Aura to complete its function.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33718086 - 3 months ago

Way better

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33718093 - 3 months ago

In reply to FeelingFeline

Deathstalkers are pretty damn stupidly strong. Unless Jaune's shield is made of Vibranium I seriously doubt it would have stood up to a direct hit from a Deathstalker without crumbling, not to mention Jaune himself not getting tossed away like a ragdoll. I mean he was already healing himself with Aura seconds after Pyrrha activated it for him so it just seems simpler to assume that her method of unlocking Aura helped him figure out the gist for the most basic applications of Aura than it is to assume that he had Aura but never actually used it until the Forever Falls incident, despite all the other situations he ended up in where he displayed superhuman attributes. Just surviving the Deathstalker catapult seems like something that should have required Aura.

Also I'm pretty sure the writers have stated somewhere that the incident with Cardin was a hint at what his Semblance in, though I admit I'm not 100% sure on that. It seems fairly logical to me though, that scene was played up far to much to waste it on Jaune figuring out how to do a thing that we were already assuming he could do. And the writers had a pretty consistent artistic style for extra focused on Force-Fields Aura back then, it was a colored circle around the area that got struck, both Ren and Cinder displayed the same effects so it makes little sense to change it for Jaune. The writing was a bit spotty back then but I don't think they would screw up something as basic as having consistent effects in order to let the audience recognize what's happening, at least not for a pivotal scene like that.

Anyway, Semblance Ideas....

When the user is struck by an attack from an opponent which drains their aura they are able to create a connection between their Aura and their opponents, symbolized by a glowing string of energy flowing between them. After the string has been created whenever the user's Aura is drained by attacks they can mitigate a portion of the cost by transferring it to their opponent. An attack that would drain 10% of their Aura instead only drains 9% while the person they are linked with has their Aura drained by 1%. The user can link with up to 5 Aura using opponents at a time, each additional Karma Link mitigates another percentage of damage. 

Not sure if this is a bit underpowered but I was worried about the Semblance being OP if it transferred to much damage. I wanted it to be something that gives an edge rather than something that lets the user win fights just by sandbagging.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33718331 - 3 months ago

Has anyone else heard about this neo spinoff series that we are supposedly going to get

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33718352 - 3 months ago

In reply to Horus1122

There is? Where? +_+

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33718357 - 3 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 I haven't heard anything about this.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33718430 - 3 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Apparently FIRST members have gotten a message regarding an upcoming miniseries featuring Neo Politan. There's a YouTube video that came out about it, but it's suspected to be a gag, considering the message was aired on April 1st.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33718500 - 3 months ago

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet I don't know its something I heard from my friend about a video on YouTube detailing a neo spinoff series is coming and was mail to first memebers

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33718506 - 3 months ago

It might have been a joke then. I miss Neo. :(

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33718528 - 3 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 So you heard it from a friend, who heard it from a video, whose creator got it from an April 1st e-mail. And you believe this?