Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (2048)

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33721835 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122

So basically an attack focused specialized version of Jaune's Semblance? Hm. Are you sure it shouldn't be put on the enemy or objects to weaken the person or object its placed on? Sort of a Mark of Death thing. I feel like the fact that its specifically a glyph becomes more relevant like that. 

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33721861 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling I kinda already made something similar called the chalice of victory and when I imagined this I found it actually has more uses this way as the ultimate support class semblance. Also I decided to allow it the ability to boost someone semblance

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33721875 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 How do you 'boost' a semblance? You mean boost their aura? Jaune already does that.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33721917 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I think it's like an AOE effect similar to what that one guy did in X-Men Apocalypse, only also having to do with Aura and not having such a tremendous effect (as well as being temporary, obviously)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33721918 - 5 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis An 'area of effect' effect. That does the same as Jaune's. Got it.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33721962 - 5 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis actually hadn't considered that but that would make it way to op. I'm probably make this more difficult than it really is to simply it this semblance increase the strength of the user it's on. So when its boosting someone's semblance say Emeralds for instance she can only effect one person at a time with her semblance but combine with this ability she could do it to 2 or 3 people simultaneously. And I've change it so the user can only effect one person at a time with this semblance and if he/she puts it on a different person the pervious one would disappear 

But that aoe effect would be awesome I'd defiantly like to see a semblance with a aoe in the future of RWBY

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33722654 - 5 months ago

Understanding

Allows the user to learn about an enemies semblance the more he knows the less damage it does if he completely understands an enemies semblance and how it works then he is completely immune to it

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33722657 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 Wait...so does the semblance make you learn, or does it make you immune? These are 2 different effects. If they're both automatic, it's way too OP.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33722669 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122

Also how can you become completely immune to a Semblance like Yang or Nora's where the effect is that it boosts the user? Or what about Glynda or Pyrrha chucking metal or other objects at you at high speed, how do you become immune to that? And how would it interact with a Semblance like Velvet's? Does she suddenly forget how to do the fighting moves she has already learned once the user becomes "immune" to her Semblance? What about Sun or Flynt's clones? Do they just dissipitate if they try to affect the Understanding person? Does Blake become unable to use her clones while Understanding is around since he is immune to being fooled by her Semblance? Can Neo no longer create her illusions or does he gain True Seeing powers all of a sudden?

The more I try to think about how this Semblance would work the more my head hurts.

• bobbotfitz

bobbotfitz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33722688 - 5 months ago

I got another one.

Earth manipulation.

User can manipulate the earth around them. User can open holes in the ground to swallow enemy's, start rock slides, create barriers for allies, and spikes to impale enemy's. User can also create a rock creature to fight along side him/her, but doing so decreases their defensive ability for that time. This varies depending on the size of the creature. The area user can use their semblance is 50 yards. Anyone outside the 50 yard range can not be affected by this semblance. User can also travel under ground to get behind enemy's in battle. But this cuts off user sight so they must find enemy's through vibrations in the earth.

Any questions for this semblance?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33722690 - 5 months ago

In reply to bobbotfitz Do you realize how insanely powerful this is? Any battle that doesn't take place indoors will instantly be won by the person with a semblance this far reaching and powerful.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33722698 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie know just immune they have to learn what it does by themselves

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33722700 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling honestly I just thought of it as a funny but to try and answer your question Glynda and pyhrra wouldn't even be able to throw things at him and if they tried the just miss. For Yang and Nora's he'd just get faster to dodge them. For velvet sun and flynts what you said would mostly likely happen. And for Blake he just be able to tell which one is real or go through them

I got this idea in a book where the main villain has the superpower adaptation and any thing you through at him only works once. The people in the book actually hit him with a nuke followed by a meteor and he still lived so they just sent him back in time to kill him or at least I think that's what happened the ending is so confusing

• bobbotfitz

bobbotfitz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33722711 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I do get your point. But the character I am planning to use this semblance for is a defensive/support character on the team. The character is the main defense for the team in large battles. If he was an offensive character he could end up hurting his own team mates with his semblance. With how far reaching it is, I have thought about making it a smaller distance but it is like that because the character has been training for years to get it that far. I could put that the farther he uses his semblance the faster his aura is depleted. I have not figured out yet how fast it would be depleted but I am still working on it.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33722716 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 Yeah, that's way too OP mate.

In reply to bobbotfitz You don't have to make up how fast it depletes. Just make it so it depletes fast, and/or put some heavy limitations on it.

• bobbotfitz

#33722724 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I get. How about this. His aura will deplete faster depending on how much earth he is controlling. He can only make and control one rock creature, I will shorten the distance to 35 yards, and I will get rid of the traveling under ground part, (it doesn't fit his character anyway being defense and support). 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33722733 - 5 months ago

In reply to bobbotfitz I still would think that's a lot, personally.

• bobbotfitz

#33722737 - 5 months ago

Maybe, I will see when I start to animate this with the character. I wish I good start now but my computer can't work with the programs. I will post about the other semblance ideas I have some other time.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33722744 - 5 months ago

In reply to bobbotfitz

Just to put this out there, this is GEOMANCY we're talking about, and geomancy can be stupidly overpowered if used correctly.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33722754 - 5 months ago

In reply to bobbotfitz

I suggest just giving them Geokinesis in a similar vein to Glynda. They can do all sorts of things with earth but everything has to be done manually. When they reach uber master level like Glynda did then they can do all sorts of crazy things with it but in the beginning they're far more limited both in the scale of things they can do, how much they telegraph the stuff they're going to do (and how fast its done), and how much they can multi-task to take full advantage of their versatility as well as how much precision and finesse they have with their control.

• bobbotfitz

#33722907 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling Besides the geokinesis, what you described is how I had it in the original post. The character got that strong by training for years, the thing that the character has not mastered is the rock creature. That part of his semblance is new and he is still learning to control it while he is fight others. With the reference to Glynda, I am having another character with telekinesis like Glynda but not as powerful. She can't do the large scale things like Glynda but she is getting closer to her level. And she does not use it as her main weapon, that it is why she is not as powerful.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33722912 - 5 months ago

In reply to bobbotfitz I really don't like it when people give random characters extremely OP semblances for no fitting reason other than that it's cool and say it's okay because they're just training really hard for it. That's not an excuse to me. Glynda is really OP because she is an important, strong, recognized huntress. Your student shouldn't have such massive earth-shifting powers. Period.

Of course, that's my opinion. It's your character; feel free to ignore me.

• bobbotfitz

#33722919 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie None of the characters I am making are students at the academy's. The time I am going to make them is years after they left. If I was making them as the same time as the show they would be students but I am not. The reason their semblances are OP is because they are huntsmen and huntresses. If they were students I would not make their powers as strong. I would agree with you if they were students but they are not. 

• competivekid

competivekid

#33722929 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling Ah, I did not know that. Honestly right now I'm just typing what comes to mind. Not a lot though.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33722956 - 5 months ago

Hello, everyone. I just want to say thank you for bringing my post to the 1600 mark. I love all the ideas for semblances you all make. Who knows, this post my be RTs source for given new characters their powers. Keep on keeping on!! RWBY FOREVER!!!