Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (2051)

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues

#33731912 - 2 months ago

In reply to Abe_da_babe Eh, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Auras aren't just a super power or mutation, they're an extension of a person's soul. That's not something I can picture being copied. Honestly, imitation powers need to be handled very carefully or they just seem lazy and one-dimensional.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33731916 - 2 months ago

In reply to Abe_da_babe

So he can copy Aura or Semblance? Because those are separate entities. Copying Aura does nothing but change the color, copying the Semblance is exactly what it says. 

If it's copying Semblances then this is, quite frankly, overused and overpowered. 

How does this correlate with the user's soul/personality? How does one have multiple Semblances, activate them, manage them, etc.? What are the limits or flaws?

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33731917 - 2 months ago

In reply to Abe_da_babe A problem with copying powers is they usually define the character. that's usually it for them their  the one that copies others powers.  

as for coming up with semblance to fit your character what is your character concept.

I am working on a villian baced on Freya a godess of love, war,

fertility, and death that is several contradicting emotions so I am thinking of give her a semblances to be an emotonal booster.  They pick up on the emotions around them and amplify them. they can increase what others are feeling increasing fear, anger, love, sadness.  if someone realizes they are being affected they can try to focus and shake off the effect.  

anther villian character I am thinking of giving  hydrokinesis the control of liquids with the mind. The semblances doesn't relate to the character they are based on but how I want them to fight.  They are going to shape weapons out of a mix of water laced with poison then use ice dust to freeze them into solid weapons. 

• Abe_da_babe

Abe_da_babe

#33731954 - 2 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha

Well the character I have using this tends to change his personality depending on the people he's with. He's insecure about who he is and wants to fit in. As a limit, the more sembelences he copies the less control he has over them. Also more sembelences means less power. Overall this is just an idea I'm throwing around. I really just needed some feedback and suggestion on what I can do to make this better. I think if I use it right it could be very good but I would appreciate suggestions on any changes you would make.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33731957 - 2 months ago

I've had my own instance of an OC having a Semblance that copies other Semblances, but the thing is, it has some SERIOUS limitations...Here's what I mean by that:

Day by Day - Once per day, he is to activate his Semblance, represented by a box over a large, blurred spinner. This box and spinner act as a window into a randomly selected Semblance that he is aware of (each of which is given a unique, distinctive symbol to represent it). Upon selection, he is granted the ability to utilize that Semblance and the knowledge of everything there is to know about it at that time. By no means can he simply choose one and this can last no longer than a full day, nor can he change it a second time. If any of those restrictions are attempted, he is forced to spend one full week without a Semblance-based ability.

As for the OC himself, this sort of fits him because of his adaptability and the fact that he's pretty much "jack-of-all-trades" incarnate... with, of course, a bit of flawed judgement to keep him relatively balanced... among other things...

What I'd say makes this less of a problem is the fact that he can't just simply swap out the Semblance he's using during an encounter to try to gain an upper hand, nor can he control what he gets for the same reason. Trying to do either would simply leave him with no way to do so for a very long time, which more than cripples his ability to be particularly effective, given the fact that the weapons he uses are... well... impractical, to say the least.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33731987 - 2 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at.

This takes a relatively 'common' power, makes it unique, and balances it.

I like the little touches that make a Semblance unique, which I call the "Flair" of the Semblance. (For example the box-spinner visual effect.)

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33732463 - 2 months ago

it is a very unique approach to a cool semblance

• nerdqueen

nerdqueen

#33733247 - 2 months ago

Name: Sacrificial Heart

Rizubesu has the ability to create and move the rose briars she remembered from her fears out of desperation. They are are made of her aura, with a small addition of ice and lightning dust sewn into her sleeves, and they take a fourth of her aura as they are slim and small, yet large enough to strangle a man. When in use, they slowly appear out of her chest before her focus turns to control their movement and destination.

Semblance Drawbacks:
    Should she ever lose control of her emotions, even if it is for a short moment, she would receive headaches and sometimes blackouts if used even longer should the impulses of emotions continue. After use, her eyes will change from a warm chocolate to a fiery yet dull coal, however, using the entirety of her aura will result in restricted breathing and headaches for a short period of time.

Semblance Limits: She can and has decided to use her semblance for at least nine minutes and allows herself to recover for twenty minutes.

I tried o~o

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733256 - 2 months ago

In reply to nerdqueen This doesn't seem like a particularly OP semblance, so why does it have so many drawbacks? They're just thorn bushes right, why'd they give her headaches?

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33733266 - 2 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I would assume due to difficulty level in control.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33733296 - 2 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Drawbacks can also be for character development. Limitations can be hurdles to over come or just effect a way to effect the characters fighting style.

I have a new semblances idea.  as for the name I am torn between Blitz, Blitz step or Thunder step.  the character's body breaks down to electricity and travels as electrical current along conductive pathways. the character body then re appears along the path re manifesting as a person with his items.  its kind of a speed and teleportation power.  have an idea that the character could use lighting dust to throw a lighting bolt and travel with it. so when there is no wires or metal they create there own power to travel but have to rely on the dust.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733446 - 2 months ago

In reply to I_Am_JarvisIn reply to PaperGodzilla I understand that, but this drawback seems super arbitrary and not related to the power.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33733550 - 2 months ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla couldn't they also use people to travel to then or is there a limit to how long they can stay as lightning ir energy

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733561 - 2 months ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla I like that but feel like it probably shouldn't be able to be used for too long, since otherwise the character is a really OP fasttraveler.

• PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

#33733577 - 2 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie & In reply to Horus1122  I envisioned this like a short burst power with a very short time period for the electric form.  This is why some of my ideas for the semblances name have step in them like blitz step, thunder step, and now thinking lightning step.  

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733580 - 2 months ago

In reply to PaperGodzilla Alright, that makes sense.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33733838 - 2 months ago

Thunder Clap!

By rubbing their hands together the user can create a static charge between his hands and when he claps it forces it outwards as a powerful boom filled with electricity ( like the hulk does but with electricity) the thunderclaps power is based on how long you rub your hands together the more you rub the bigger the impact

I don't know if I should make it that you have to be remaining still or not for you to charge what do you guys think

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33733889 - 2 months ago

Not to correct you, but it actually does have some to do with it. See, it describes the briars as something that spurred from her fears, which makes it fitting that her Semblance would involve CONTROL over these briars, which she has a direct connection to, as they come directly from her in the form of a manifestation of her Aura, which again she controls directly. In that, the loss of control of emotions and thus over the briars as well, it's the extremes of control with this Semblance that could produce these headaches, much like how Emerald is taxed similarly from using her Semblance on more than one person or how Ruby can be overburdened when using hers. Does that make more sense now?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733924 - 2 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis No, I still disagree. I think it's strangely far-fetched for a bunch of rose bushes to cause headaches to control, no matter the psychological source of the user's fear of them, because they aren't nearly as powerful of a semblance as psychologically creating hallucinations is. The latter is something Emerald has to use purely her mind to do, which makes the headaches make a lot of sense.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33734033 - 2 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I agree somewhat with what your saying but if the pain comes from a emotional trauma than it isn't far fetch to believe that it could cause some form of repruction

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33734035 - 2 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis I still think the semblances is interesting but maybe a different form of repercussion might be need cause the headache thing is just strange to me

Also what did you think of my thunder Clap I'm still trying to decide if they need to remain still or not to charge i

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33734067 - 2 months ago

Fair enough.

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33734625 - 2 months ago

hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding a good semblance for a oc of mine. My oc is based on the big bad wolf/ werewolf and he has a sneaky,clever, manipulative personality but I can't think of a semblance for him any ideas?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33734658 - 2 months ago

In reply to Shadow-elements Before I give any suggestions, the big bad wolf allusion is VERY overdone in the fandom and it's gonna be difficult for you to make an OC based on it that is unique and interesting.

• Shadow-elements

Shadow-elements

#33734662 - 2 months ago

Would basing it only on a werewolf be a better option?