Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (2394)

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33749937 - 5 months ago

Oof, I finally was able to log back in. I keep getting logged out whenever I come back and sometimes it wont let me back in at all. Anyone else have this problem?

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33749940 - 5 months ago

Anyway... I don't remember the Semblance I was going to put up because I didn't write it down, but I did come up with a more substantial Magic vs. Semblance theory based on new information we've been given. 

So Magic consists of Choice, Creation, Destruction, and Knowledge as well as the Elements, as seen by the four orbs surrounded by swirling, different colored lights when used by Salem. This means (to me) that Semblances have five huge limits to them when put up against Magic.

Choice: The user cannot assume complete control over another being, this includes forcibly changing their mind or control their actions. 

- The user can manipulate perception and trick people into making a choice.

Creation: The user cannot create constructs, matter, etc. out of nothing. This includes physically transforming/altering the user's body. This also applies to creating life out of nothing.

- The user can "create" structures made of their own Aura.

Destruction: The user cannot destroy absolutely. They cannot outright cause death, and they cannot destroy matter.

- The user can use a Semblance to inflict damage or destroy as a "side effect". (You can make a knife but you can't destroy your target without it.)

Knowledge: The user cannot see into the future, Period. This is also a limit of Magic (at least for the lamp). The user cannot attain knowledge of a subject without reason.

- The user can take in information presented and predict or infer using clues given to the user.

Elements: The user cannot create (possibly control) Elements/Elemental substances out of nothing.

- The user can manipulate Elements that are present naturally or via Dust.

Does this hold up?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33749941 - 5 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha Not gonna lie, a lot of this sounds like it's pulled out of your ass. Where did you get these constructs from?

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33749993 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie some of it seems pretty legit. But I still don't think its right. Defiantly worth a discussion thought

Also I figured out why episode ten wasn't up for me. Its because I'm an idiot who forgot to reload the web page. If you need me I'll be hiding in that dark corner over there.

"Sits down"

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33750002 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 It's spelled definitely. "Defiantly" means "in a defiant manner".

• ShadowSJG

ShadowSJG

#33750041 - 5 months ago

I had an idea for a cool down semblance. 

• ShadowSJG

ShadowSJG

#33750042 - 5 months ago

like, it lets the user cool down anything they touch

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33750063 - 5 months ago

I mean, it's a theory (more like a hypothesis but there's no way to test it; I digress). I've been trying to figure out what the limits are on Semblances and what makes people so shocked when feats of Magic occur when people can create impossible feats by our standards already.

And like I said, Creation, Destruction, Knowledge, Choice, and Elemental are all things you see Jinn showing us when she describes Magic.

What does all of Magic have in common? Those five traits.

What do all Semblances have in common? Some sort of manipulation, but never those five traits or at least only a manipulation of something similar.

Again, that is my theory based on observations and inferences from what I've seen. I'm not saying it's absolute, but creating a fine line between Magic and Semblances is something that I feel like should be taken into account when creating Semblances.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33750064 - 5 months ago

In reply to ShadowSJG

I imagine cooling down a bomb with liquid nitrogen hands lol. I like it, I can see some practical uses for it. It just needs to be flushed out a bit.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33750071 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie sorry i rushed and didn't check. Choice , destruction seem right. knowledge sounds true but there isn't enough evidence to support that. They others are disproven cause people in the show have done those things.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33750075 - 5 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha Yeah, I'm not buying it, sorry. I'm sure there's limits to semblances but I don't think it's that deep, my dude.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33750121 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 When has anyone created life using a Semblance, or a physical construct that isn't made of Aura in the show? And when has anyone created an element with their Semblance during the show that wasn't due to Dust? The closest thing I can think of is Neo's Semblance but I stand by that being an Aura construct since it's so fragile and breaks when her Semblance is broken or she dispels it. So she doesn't create anything physical that lasts longer than her Semblance...

And sure the exact limitations of these, like knowledge, are shaky but I really do think this is a solid theory right now. Maybe Creation is "A creation of an object or being that persists after the user's Aura is no longer powering it" something along those lines. 

It also matches with "A Semblance of what they once were" - God of Light S6E3 

So Semblances could possibly be interpreted as a 'Semblance of Magic' which also goes with the fact that they can only manipulate these forces and not create them, and only one "power" at a time.

My point is, there is a trivial answer: "Magic is a power that does not require Aura and is a gift from the God brothers." But this is pointless because you can't tell if Aura is being used or not, so why do people freak out when feats of magic appear?

Sorry for my long winded rant/explanations but I'm genuinely curious if anyone else has thought of this.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33750318 - 5 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha okay first of the schnee summoning involves defeating a foe before you can summon it. Its a semblance of life and as far as we know it acts just like the original but following the schnee's command instead of well Salem I guess( or stopping them from doing their natural instinct). Also episode 1 Glynda makes a storm of hail out of nothing, without the usage dust as far as we know. And my next one is kinda a long shoot but qrows semblance makes bad luck. That kinda sounds like an element of nature right their or at the very least an element out of human control.

Also completely irrelevant to the conversation but mercury's father had the ability to steal fucking semblance! Does no one else want to talk about that at all. I mean that's fucking huge isn't it!

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33750510 - 5 months ago

In reply to Horus1122 Schnee Summoning defeats a foe and then turns it to her side. That's not life, that's a construct that is controlled by Weiss. Even if they did have life, it just rebuilds it. That's not "Creation" that's repurposing. 

Glynda creating a "Storm of Hail" comes from her weapon, the same as Weiss being able to use elements using Myrtenaster. This is neither a Semblance nor Magic. The same goes for her shield. It's also used as a focus for her Semblance since I'm sure just using "Telekinesis" without a focus is really unstable or hard to focus. (Like Kadabra's spoon). 

The ability to "manipulate" fate still falls into line with my theory. It's not a forced change of someone's choices. It makes things happen around him by passively radiating "bad luck". It can be focused, but it is still just a manipulation of forces using a Semblance, just as "Creating" a portal like Raven is just spacial manipulation. 

Also, to back up this: Cinder used Arrows to cause her explosions using dust. The moment she gained the ability to use magic, she made explosions from Magic rather than dust, probably because it was the most familiar attack she could manage using Magic at such short notice.

And yes, the ability to steal a Semblance officially puts Semblance altering abilities on the table and it sounds extremely OP.

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33750533 - 5 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha 

In reply to RlyehianBuddha okay to qrows semblances I conceded. You do make a good point. But for the schnee summon semblance you and I have different viewpoint's on that I always view them similar to AI's like Cortana, Vision, or AIA from green lantern animated. In the end I guess that more of a coming down to what's life situation there so

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33750534 - 5 months ago

Okay I hate this site I swear it won't post my whole argument and keeps deleting half of my work and its infuriating me!!!!!!! Also ignore that top post from me please 

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33750535 - 5 months ago

In reply to RlyehianBuddha okay to qrows semblances I conceded. You do make a good point. But for the schnee summon semblance you and I have different viewpoint's on that I always view them similar to AI's like Cortana, Vision, or AIA from green lantern animated. In the end I guess that more of a coming down to what's life situation there so ? I'll come back to you on that. And Glynda's weapon making that Hail storm no don't see it dude everyone's weapon that has or has had dust used in it shows how and where it was put and used. When you look at Glynda's weapon you don't see any sign of dust being used anywhere.

Also totally irrelevant again have we discovered Cinder's semblance or did I just not know this whole time.

Thank you that's what I've been saying. I can't help but wonder what kind of altering can someone do to a semblance. Can they just make it useless against someone or can the change where it's affected. Possibilities are endless with this new info

• Horus1122

Horus1122

#33750539 - 5 months ago

f---------------cking finally gosh took me 10 minutes to fix this. Ahhhhhh so infuriated right now ignore any spelling errors on my previous post im way past done caring to go back and check

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33750569 - 5 months ago

You two are seriously looking too deep into it. I really doubt it's that deep.

• RlyehianBuddha

RlyehianBuddha

#33750637 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Doubting is fine. I'm just trying to discuss where my theory is wrong and I felt like this was a good place to see if it held water.

In reply to Horus1122 First, Why would her Semblance of "Telekinesis" allow her to cast ice? It doesn't make sense unless she is using her crop and by extension, Dust. Blake can use Dust with her Semblance to make an effect and when it's in her weapon it can't be seen; so Glynda probably has A set of Dust in her crop: "Toss Dust in the air using Semblance; form ice from Dust; Use Semblance to call it down." Unless Oz happened to impart some magic onto her for some reason, we don't really know a lot about her and she hasn't been seen since season 3. (Which is a shame)

Second, Weiss controls those things. It doesn't take much but I'm assuming those things are either fully controlled via some sort of connection between them (Like during the Queen Lancer fight) or they act as a shadow of what they would do if under her control. Plus this still isn't life even if they are "AI-like". They would still "die" once her Aura is dispelled. That isn't life, that's a mindless familiar that protects and obeys. My point standing from before, "if it can't stand alone by itself without the supplying of Aura it is not Creation Magic."

And before this turns into an argument about what defines life, I'm going stop it there because it doesn't need to go that deep.

And no, we don't know what Cinder's Semblance is officially. We just know she uses Dust a lot and then Magic when she gets the Fall Maiden's powers. I don't even know if she has one, or if it's when she makes those glass/obsidian-like objects out of literal cinders. 

• Midnight_Howl

Midnight_Howl

#33750756 - 5 months ago

These are the semblances of my OC team COUR. These characters are the counterpart of Team RWBY.

(Big Bad Wolf character) Energy Shift:

User has the capability to use their aura to give extra energy to different parts of their body. I.e. feet for speed, legs for agility, and fore arms for higher defensive blocking. Some drawbacks would be that it can only be activated for short bursts at a time and if overused can cause injury to the person. 

(Gaston character) Instinct:

User has the capability to be able to detect any entity through heightened senses and a sort of echo-location type ability. Drawback would be that the user is vulnerable to any attacks that can overpower the senses. 

(Three Bears character) Density Manipulation:

User has the ability to change their personal density. Light weight for faster attacks and increased agility but more prone to more damage. Higher density increases damage dealt and higher defense. Drawback is extremely sluggish speeds. Can only be used for moderate bursts.

(Evil Queen character) Fairest of All: 

User can take on the form of who the enemy cares for deeply, causing the attacker to hesitate. Can only be used on one person at a time and cannot be used for long times at the expense of the users aura being expended.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33750758 - 5 months ago

In reply to Midnight_Howl I like energy shift, but hunter's instinct seems a little meh to me. We see a lot of those, so they don't really wow me anymore.

• Midnight_Howl

Midnight_Howl

#33750764 - 5 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking, would labeling it as 'Instinct' be better?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33750782 - 5 months ago

In reply to Midnight_Howl I didn't mean the name, I meant the powers themselves. Unless that's not why you asked that. I do think just instinct fits better, but I don't mind either way.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33750827 - 5 months ago

Name: Aura Grenade

Power: The user can create bombs made of pure energy.

Limits: The grenades are made from the users Aura. The larger the user makes the grenade or the more they create, the more Aura the user consumes