Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (2427)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33756094 - 3 months ago

In reply to Sirgeoffington I almost wanna say that any semblance that requires 2 humongous paragraphs to explain is too convoluted, but I suppose you wanted to be thorough with it. Even then, I'm not sure why it needs 2 parts. We've never seen a semblance like that, and I'm not sure why it isn't just one or the other. I personally really am not a fan of this idea, but it doesn't help that you've incorporated two mega-cliches when it comes to OCs. That's not your fault of course, but I've seen "generic fighting ability enhancer" as well as "berserker mode" type semblances thousands of times already. I hate Maria's canon one too, I can't believe they gave such a cool character such a lame semblance, and one that doesn't even show in how she fights. All RWBY fighter characters have great reflexes and in no way have we been shown just how Maria's semblance benefits her at all, or at least more than what people's natural reflexes can already do in RWBY. Personally, I like things that are more creative, and more out of the box, less generic. I also prefer to see if the semblance fits with the character's fighting style/personality, but I know nothing about him, so I can't say much about that.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33756127 - 3 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Yeah, I just about had a heart attack, thinking literally everything I had here was gone forever. I'll be going ahead and saving everything on a collection of Word Documents for said reason...

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33756141 - 3 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis I don't think they'll get rid of it entirely, but it is a safe bet to save everything.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33756143 - 3 months ago

Yeah, that's why I'm doing it. I've gotten Team G.R.I.M. taken care of, so far. I just got started with Team G.R.D.N. I'm even checking over it and making tweaks here and there, such as slight rebalancing in the stats or rewording certain things. That and I'm fixing the descriptions to include just about everything that I have in all of the different descriptions I've done for all 31 OCs.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757604 - 2 months ago

Name: Wings of Light

Power: The user creates wings of pure light and energy. The user absorbs light to create angel-like wings. Using these wings, the user can do more than just fly. The user can fly at super sonic speeds, use the wings as a shield, use the light as a way to blind their enemies and fire feathers and beams of light energy.

Limits: The user needs to absorb light that is bright enough, such as sunlight. Or be close enough to the light. In order to absorb light from the moon, the user must be close enough to the moon or it should be reflected from a body of water. The more energy from the wings is used, the weaker they become. The faster they fly, the more lasers they fire, the weaker the wings become

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757623 - 2 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01 Supersonic speed is perhaps a bit OP. Flight is already a big ace in battle. I would also suggest making it so that firing beams of light shrinks the wings, as you're using/taking light away from them.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757632 - 2 months ago

Yeah. I forgot to add that. Part of the limit is the more the user uses the wings and the more energy the use, the weaker the wings become. The user must absorb more energy to use the wings again

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757913 - 1 month ago

so i've just gotten into rwby (a little late), and i created this character. his name is Sorin Knightly, he's a Faunus (Arctic Fox), and i've decided most things except for Semblance. if i could get some help with this, i'd really appreciate it C:

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757921 - 1 month ago

Well, tell us about his character! What kind of person is he, what weapons does he use, etc. Also, what color is his name based on? And what arctic fox trait does he have?

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757926 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I didn't really base his name off a color haha. I don't have much of his personality or traits figured out, except that his hair/ears/tail change color in winter and summer like real arctic foxes. i've chosen for him to use kunai as a weapon. (an extra: he ends up with lie ren bc im gay for ren let me have this lmao-)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757938 - 1 month ago

Well...it's kind of a rule that names have to allude to colors! Monty made that rule list himself. Also, faunus only have 1 animal trait, so he can't have both fuzzy ears AND a tail...I am curious about his fighting style though. He uses just plain kunai? No cool transformy guns to it or whatever? Either way, semblances usually relate to the person's personality quite a bit. and as per the rule of cool, look really epic when they use it in battle. So knowing more about the character and their fighting style is usually my first priority when spitballing about semblance ideas! There are exceptions though, where the semblance is just kind of out there, but even sill I have nothing to go off so far. I like the idea of his arctic fox hair changing color though, that's cute.

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757940 - 1 month ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie OH. see, these are things i probably should've researched before making this oc njfvbkjndl, i just kinda went off the top of my head. okay so just the ears then, yeet. i looked at one of those name generators and it gave me the name Nell, alluding to "carnelian," so i might go with that. as for fighting style, i might go with bukijutsu from naruto, as that's the closest thing i can find that uses kunai and i really like the kunai thing. i guess they could be more mechanical, but i can't really think of what they could do. as for his personality, i was maybe thinking of having him be more timid and truthful, the opposite of what foxes are known for? idk this is all off the top of my head haha

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757943 - 1 month ago

changed my mind and went with vio for the name haha

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757944 - 1 month ago

As in violet? And I'm not familiar with Naruto fighting styles, sorry.

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757954 - 1 month ago

yeah, as in violet. and im not familiar with it either, that's just what google gave me for fighting styles that incorporate kunai, specifically shurikenjutsu. 

• Dinobot01

#33757956 - 1 month ago

Name: Dragon Summoning

Power: The power to summon a number of spirit dragons that the user can ride into battle and control. 

Limits: These dragons are tied to the users Aura. The more dragons the user summons, the more Aura it consumes. If the user is knocked out, the dragons disappear. It takes a large amount of physical strength to maintain a large number of dragons 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757978 - 1 month ago

Sometimes it's easier for me to imagine a fitting semblance if I can picture the character's fighting style. It's not necessary, but it might help you think of something that works if you have a clear image of how it would look in combat in your head.

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757990 - 1 month ago

i might nix the kunai then and figure out a fighting style then figure out the weapons

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33757993 - 1 month ago

It all depends on your vision basically!

• SorinKnightly

SorinKnightly

#33757997 - 1 month ago

like i said, most of this is off the top of my head ^^; im really new to rwby, i only just finished season 1

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33758010 - 1 month ago

Oh, then definitely be careful for spoilers around here!

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33758032 - 1 month ago

Probably a better idea, really, to just watch through the series first, honestly, so that you're more up to speed with how things work.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33758036 - 1 month ago

Obviously.

• Eluned

Eluned

#33758597 - 1 month ago

Name: Moon.

Power: In short, this Semblance allows its owner to absorb moonlight and use it in battle, commonly firing it as silver coloured beams. However, it's not that simple: its power and intensity will vary according to the phases of the Moon.

Cracked Moon:
    According to how much of its (the Moon's) cracked side is exposed, the power of this Semblance can greatly vary. The more shards can be seen, the less powerful it is. At its peak it'll grant a considerable boost in its user's physical prowess, as well as make their aura regenerate more quickly, while at its lowest it'll simply make its wielder's aura a bit stronger.

Full Moon:
    During a full moon, when there are no shards visible, this Semblance reaches its peak. In addition to greatly increasing the physical abilities, it also grants its user an extrasensory perception, allowing them to sense and instantly react to danger. It's described as "seeing" things nearby with aura.

Limits: Since it relies on moonlight, whenever the Moon is not there this Semblance is completely useless, including during daytime. Not being directly exposed to the moonlight (i.e. the huntsman or huntress is inside a building) at nighttime will not leave its user entirely powerless, but they'll be severely limited.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33758621 - 1 month ago

In reply to rt-201906132050346498080 This is pretty interesting. What kind of character has this semblance?