Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (2423)

• NightRaid2018

NightRaid2018

#33759104 - 3 weeks ago

Semblance: Dragon's Breathe

Allows the user to channel heat from their surroundings into the center of their chest/lungs and breathe out fire. The user can choose to shot out fireballs or streams of fire. The center of the user's chest glows as the heat builds. 

Limits:

The amount of fire the user can breathe put depends on how much heat they channel into their chest. In addition, the time it takes to do this depends on the amount of heat the user wishes to channel. This time frame can leave the user open if they arent fast or agile enough to evade enemy attacks. The user has to mimic the action of sucking in air (kind how Sasuke from Naruto has to when use the Fire Ball Jutsu) to activate semblance which can give opponents a heads up that they're going to use it. If the user cannot dispel the built up heat or is hit in the chest while building up the heat, the channeled heat can burst and cause the user damage.

Strengths:

The user can use this semblance to drain the heat from fire based attacks or fire dust which can nullify the attack or lower the attacks damage out put, and hider enemies that rely on fire dust or attacks. The user can absorb the body heat of enemies near him when he is channeling the heat. The user can also breathe the fire out to propel their self in the opposite direction they are breathing. The user can also sense heat sources near them.

This is for an OC that is based on the dragon Moo Shu from Mulan.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759106 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to NightRaid2018 That's pretty interesting, not too OP.

• Eluned

Eluned

#33759122 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I agree it became way stronger (and more complex) than I intended it to be. So I'll give it another try.

Name: Flame of Intent.

PowerThe wielder's aura manifests as a golden flame. Friends will be warmed in body and spirit by it (meaning it'll help them overcome negative emotions), whilst ill-intended beings will be burned by the fire. How badly the fire will burn them is directly associated to how strong is their intention of causing harm to the user of this Semblance.

Limits: Seeing as its effect is random according to the target's intentions, that's one of the limits for it: the user cannot control which effect the fire will have on its target. The only exception for that is when the fire hits a non-sentient object (such as common objects, trees, or Dust), in such cases it'll only burn them if the wielder wishes it to happen. Additionally, it cannot be used to harm animals seeing as they are not rational creatures, but as long as the person does not provoke them this Semblance will calm them down enough for them to ignore/tolerate the caster's presence. Despite being capable of helping friends with bad emotions, it has no healing properties.

• NightRaid2018

NightRaid2018

#33759123 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Thanks. The semblance is meant for a kind of a ninja based character. His weapon (Long Shé or Shé Long) was going to be a katana with a gold dragon as its guard. The weapon would have a compartment for a fire dust cartridge on the dragons' head. This would allow fire dust to follow throw out the blade and if the user breathed fire on the katana balde after doing this, it would catch on fire and allow for things like fire slashes,etc. The carttidge would be small so this use is more for giving them an edge in a tight bind. 

• Eluned

Eluned

#33759124 - 3 weeks ago

Also another one which is not a re-edit:

NameTrofimancy.

Power: It's the power to control food! Through it, one is capable to summon and control food, which includes instantly cooking it or even using it as a tool in fights. Not effective in dealing damage, but can cause a mess.

LimitsOne cannot create food out of thin air through this Semblance. Additionally, the caster must've prepared the food him/herself in order to summon it. There's no limit of distance for the summoning ability to work, as long as the food has been prepared directly by the caster beforehand. It is possible to control nearby food regardless of the user having prepared it or not. It cannot be used to control food inside the body of a living being, their aura won't let it happen even if it is depleted at the moment.

Obs.: The word Trofimancy comes from Greek Trofía (Food) + manteía (Divination).

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759129 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to Eluned It's a bit...out there, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it so...fine by me.

• bobbotfitz

bobbotfitz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759734 - 1 week ago

It has been a while sense I posted anything on here but I've had an idea on one for a couple days now. I have not completely finished this one and I don't know if someone has posted something similar to this.

Name: Nightmare

Power: It is an illusion type semblance. The target is the only one able to see the illusion and it is different for every person. The targets mind is stuck in the illusion making them completely defenseless. The illusion itself can be either the targets worst fear or their worst memory. 

Limits: The user has to keep complete focus on the target or the illusion will not work. This leaves the user unable to attack or defend themselves when using this ability. The illusion can not physically harm the target, any damage caused by the illusion is only mental damage. The time limit that this ability can be used is six minutes and can only be used two time a day. The limit number of people it can be used on at a time is two people and they have to be close or next to each other to work on both. Using on two targets limits the time to four minutes and it can not be used for the rest of the day. Using this on two people also drains the users aura twice as fast than just using on one target.

I am still trying to work on how targets would break the illusion other than someone else attacking the user or hitting the target to knock them out of the illusion (which will work). And yes I know this is similar to genjutsu from Naruto.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759745 - 1 week ago

In reply to bobbotfitz I'm not sure what the deal is with these time constraints. The only constraint you really need is aura running out. Why only twice a day? That's a bit weird. Other than that, I'm fine with the concept. I'm actually working on a similar semblance for one of my teacher OCs. She's gonna have an illusion-type power that paralyzes with fear anything capable of feeling that emotion (so any animal, including humans, that feels fear) by making them perceive a giant warrior mask behind her. It's automatic, so it doesn't matter whether you know what you're looking at or think it's terrifying in and of itself, the illusion always exerts a certain pressure that petrifies whoever is affected (those not affected cannot see it), regardless of whether you're actually scared of it or not. It feels like roughly the same idea as yours.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33759752 - 1 week ago

I can imagine why that would be useful for a TEACHER OC of all character types XD

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759773 - 1 week ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis Yesss, she's a big scary lady x) a good person though.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759774 - 1 week ago

Name: Storm Summon

Power: The user has the power to conjure storms. Hurl lightning, make rain, create snow, etc.....

Limits: The user must be in direct contact with the outside air. The user cannot create storms inside a building without direct contact to the outside air. The larger the storm the more Aura it consumes and the more concentration it takes

• bobbotfitz

bobbotfitz FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759778 - 1 week ago

I thought it would be a little op if it did not have some time or limit constraints but just having it's limit be aura running out makes more sense. I also agree that your teacher OC does sound very scary.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759785 - 1 week ago

In reply to Dinobot01 This feels like a thing we've seen maidens do. Are you sure you want a regular person to have a strong power like that?

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759798 - 1 week ago

The Maidens use magic to do that. This is a persons Semblance. Magic isn't tied to Aura. This semblance is. See where I'm going?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759803 - 1 week ago

In reply to Dinobot01 That's exactly my point...this is the kind of power that seems to be reserved for magic users. 

• Dinobot01

#33759825 - 1 week ago

Yet, characters like Storm and Weather Wizard aren't

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759829 - 1 week ago

In reply to Dinobot01 ...Who?

• Dinobot01

#33759840 - 1 week ago

Storm is a superheroine from Marvel Comics and is a member of the X-Men. She was born with the ability to control the weather. She was worshiped as a goddess in Africa and was married to Black Panther. She was portrayed by Halie Barry in the X-Men movies.

Weather Wizard is a villain from DC Comics and is a villain of the Flash. He was a scientist who was working on a weather experiment gone wrong and was given the power to control the weather.

Two characters with power over the weather, neither of whom are magic

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759843 - 1 week ago

In reply to Dinobot01 Okay, but...those aren't from the RWBY universe my dude joy Every fictional universe has different rules with regards to magic and superpowers. How are you gonna use a completely different universe to justify something in this one lmao, obviously I meant that in THE WORLD OF RWBY changing the weather is only something we've seen maidens, and thus magic users do.

• NightRaid2018

NightRaid2018

#33759988 - 1 day ago

Semblance: Electrokinesis

Power:User has control over electricity and lightning.

This is a hereditary semblance. This semblance is shared by 4 of my OC's of the same family(so far). Each one has a slightly varied version of the semblance do to their varied proficiency in actually using the semblance.

-Oldest sibling: His version is what it is suppose to be like; he's the prodigy. Has the best proficiency in the usage of the semblance as its suppose to be used. Can control electricity and even summon lightning from the sky if its cloudy.

Limits: Needs an electrical source like lightning dust. While his range of control can be vast it normally is at most the distance of the vital festivals fighting arena. In order to increase his range of control he needs to concentrate extremely hard leaving, him vulnerable and the greater the range the shorter he can maintain that range.

Strengths: His range of control of electricity is pretty far(atmost the distance to the sky) 

Wanted to make the oldest's version the strongest and pretty OP

-2nd Oldest sibling: His varied version is called Electro Solidification. He has the primary ability to solidify electricity.

Limits: His range of control is limited to lessen 2 feet from his body as opposed to his older brother's almost inifinite range. He primarily only solidifies the electricity into armor around his body do to him being a brawler type fighter. Needs electrical source.

Stregths: The solidified electricity on his body serves as armor but also increase the strength of the covered area. He can freely move the soldified electricity around the surface of his body. He can release the solidified electricity as shortaged attacks.

-2nd Youngest Sibling: His version is called Electrical Impulse. He can control the electricity that moves through his nervous system.

Strengths: Unlike his brothers, he doesnt necessarily need a power source to use his semblance. By increasing the flow of electricity in his nervous system, he can increase his reaction and travel speed. He can choose which parts of his nervous/body to increase the flow(ex: can choose to only increase the flow in his eyes to see fast enemies better instead of his entire body). He can also disrupt the electrical flow of other people's nervous systems which stuns them and prevents them from moving.

Limits: While he can increase the flow of electricity in his nervous system to move and react faster, in order to get a further boost he needs more electricity which he needs to be hit with said electricity(though he has develop a slight tolerance to being hit with electricty) and the boost of speed doesnt last very long(the more elcyricity the faster he becomes; similary to Nora's semblance but with speed instead of strength). He needs to physically touch others to disrupt their nervous system electrical flow and it only last a few seconds and does use a lot of aura to do so. 

-Youngest and only female sibling: Her version is called Techno-telepathy. She can communicate and control technology.

Limits: It is mentally controlled so being knocked in the head or mentally unstable can disrupt or prevent her semblance from working. Her range of control is mid to short(I dont have specific range yet but its not that big).

Strengths: She can hack and control pretty much any electrical system. She has a permanent control bond with tech she has a strong emotional attachment to.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759991 - 1 day ago

In reply to NightRaid2018 This is pretty interesting! I actually have an OC with "impulse" as a semblance, which is exactly the same as yours! I don't see it necessary to call this a hereditary semblance though; after all, they don't have the same powers, so they're different ones. They just have a common theme, which I don't imagine is unheard of in families.

• NightRaid2018

NightRaid2018

#33759999 - 1 day ago

Thanks for the reply. This is a hereditary semblance, just each sibling comes to apply it in differrnt ways. Each sibling has the capability to do what the others can but do to there varied styles of fighting and proficiency in different techniques, they leaned towards and favor one style. For example, take Winter and Weiss('s) semblance (Im referring to Vol.3 versions for this example). Each one has the capacity to do what they other can like summon or integrate dust. However, Winter(for whatever reason) choose to felt more on actual sword play and summons and Weiss prefer Dust intergration. Since Weiss wasnt that great at summoning she didn't use or really try to practice it until talking with Winter and Winter doesnt incorporate any dust, maybe do to her not being that great at doing so choosing to obstain from using it. I applied this theory to may OC's. Each, with enough practice, can do what the others can be choose not to try. My goal is to have one of them or their parents get to the point where they can showcase all of these different techniques of the semblance. I wanted this semblance to be broken but I want one of them to work to it.

Also, is your OC's impulse really exactly the same as my OC's Electrical Impulse.

• NightRaid2018

NightRaid2018

#33760010 - 20 hours ago

Semblance: G-Space

User has the ability to increase or decrease their personal gravity, making them lighter or heavier.

Strengths: Decreasing one's gravity improves speed and mobility, making it hard to be attacked. Increasing it allows for strong attacks and blows. The user, with enough training can alternate between low and high levels of gravity to jump insanely high, float, hover, and even fly. 

Limits: The user needs to be extremely physically strong to use this semblance as increasing gravity makes it hard to move if you aren't strong enough to handle the amount. The stronger the gravity the more strength it takes to make. Alternating between incrrased and decreased gravity does use a considerable amount of aura if used for too long. They can only increased their personal gravity not others' or objects'.

This is for character based on the Man on the Moon.