Forums > RWBY

Pyrrha Nikos general discussion

Posts (40162)

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33741899 - 7 months ago

In reply to arklaynorth

You are because you are acting like Ilia is some liar who needs to be mistrusted.

Ilia wasnt telling the story to score points or anything like that she was telling Blake a DEEPLy personal thing of her parents DYING.

Its not an extraordinary claim though. Ilia is human passing as we can already see. She got into a prep school for huntsmen and when her parents died she turned blue and then punched in the teeth of the students making fun of her.

That isnt extraordinary at all. Its actually pretty normal.

THAT is why you are in fact doing such a thing Ilia's story isnt special I have personally seen a like thing when a bully at my highschool got clocked so hard he passed out because he bullied a girl at the wrong time, I forget the reason outside of it being personal since I was friends with the girl.

Ilia's story isnt all the special or something to doubt.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33741900 - 7 months ago

In reply to arklaynorth

It's not extraordinary. Mining has never been safe, and given that it is well established that under Jacques the SDC puts profits ahead of all else it is no way unrealistic to believe that he would have workers laboring in unsafe conditions to improve his bottom line, particularly if they were Faunus and thus would have a harder time doing something about it.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33741901 - 7 months ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

Thinking on it that maybe WHY Blake brings up that tidbit she knows it from Ilia who has personally been harmed by their behavior.

• revanninja

#33741905 - 7 months ago

In reply to arklaynorth

Not me because I literally just refreshed and saw both comments.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33741906 - 7 months ago

Honestly, all I'm hearing now are several people bringing up solid faults in the writing, and one person crying and screaming that we should give them another chance.  Quite frankly, that person needs to wean themselves off of the Rooster Teat and realize that these writers are not that good to begin with, but also knew their fans enough to know that they didn't even need that much to keep them hooked.

Sorry, but I gave them another chance after season 3.  It's why I go on a three-strike rule, to act as a check and balance against my own knee-jerk reactions.  But now I can see that that wasn't the aberration, it was the norm.  I've given it two years of a second chance, and quite frankly, several moments in season 5 were the third strike (notably, the further use of the Silver Eyes as a grief-based power, and Ruby mouth-piecing Monty at the end, as well as the entire Battle of Haven).  Retconning Aura mechanics because they got in the way of the killings of Sienna Khan and Vernal was the Spiderman Principle invoked once, and the writers going off on their critics about how they don't want to listen if they "sound rude"...that was that principle invoked again.  To be plainly clear, season 5 would have tripped all three strikes on its own.

I think I should make it official: season 6 of RWBY is going to be my last, and that is only because I promised people I actually still care about talking to that I would watch it.  It is a formality at this point, and I will be dropping the series afterwards, regardless of quality of content.

• revanninja

#33741907 - 7 months ago

9_9

-uDGhCbdNyux.jpg

Moving on

So one thing I am personally curious about is what is going on with JNPR. They arent in the trailer much but as we know from vol 5 trailer it generally isnt that many episodes in.

I personally think JNPR is going to be separated by the train crash and they are going to focus on RWBY for a bit before we see what is up with JNPR.

• Bumblebee4life

Bumblebee4life

#33741910 - 7 months ago

Ok so I've left this thread for several days and it looks like more drama has occured. What happened?

• revanninja

#33741912 - 7 months ago

In reply to Bumblebee4life

A disagreement on the level of Racism in RWBY really no more and honestly already wound down.

And wow the captcha is a pain in the butt.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33741927 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

What's the "Spider-Man Principle"? I Googled it but everything I saw was a variation of the "great power, great responsibility" line and I don't see how that applies here.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33741928 - 7 months ago

It's actually from Family Guy, when Spiderman shows up and saves someone.  The first time he did it, he told Peter "everybody gets one", and it becomes a minor running gag.  Essentially, you get one second chance and nothing more.

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33741930 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Okay, I see your point but I do feel like saying that, for me, ambiguous powers in a TV series or similar medium get a bit more wiggle room continuity-wise. All of my favorite anime have either added something new that rewrites the balance of power, tweaked a power to fit a situation it was not overtly suited for, or flat out said one thing and then later said another. I feel that unless they explicitly say "this is what X power is and this is all it can be" they're allowed some latitude to tweak the rules since it can be hard to think of of every application for a power and it can be hard to fully express your head-canon of a power sometimes (I write a few OCs and Semblances on other threads here and I've had to rework or scrap several concepts because I either couldn't get an idea to form on paper or I was taking up pages trying to get it across). In all, I just tend to consider the rules of any super-power to be written in chalk rather than graven in stone unless specific limits, parameters, etc. are set. 

• revanninja

#33741931 - 7 months ago

You know its always interesting to me the many ways of reviving someone that are out there and that Work.

I recall a game series called Show Hearts which a book on how to revive people is actually a repeating plot point and has multiple ways to revive. 

The Emigre Manuscript 

Emigremanuscript.jpg

The use of this text is dangerous in the extreme as failure creates monsters but people driven by the need to see their dead loved ones again and again flock to this book and its deadly arts.

It does have despite its high rate of failure some successes to its name though only one real revival is ever shown in game though it is implied more have happened back when the book was penned.

It balances its ability to cheat death by making it EXTREMELY difficult to pull off with deadly consequences for failure.

In the game dealing with the Emigre Manuscript never feels like you are just making death your play thing. It feels more like you are walking over a tight rope into a chasm filled with brutal rocks and edges where even the smallest mistake can tip you over into death.

There is 4 games which I have played 3 of them. As far as I know the Emigre Manuscript is used in every one. its the revolving plot point in the First game which I havent played. In the Second you recover it from a failed use of it. In the third you put it to use to a semi-success. And the fourth is the one real revival and a Main plot point of the story.

Just because a story has revival doesnt undermine death it can instead enhance it make it stand out more because it contrasts it shows just how that death effected people and what it drove them to over their grief and feelings.

• revanninja

#33741932 - 7 months ago

Especially if the writers leave themselves room to change things.

For example Semblances are said they can evolve and change with time.

Since Semblances are said to be the expression of the soul my guess is that evolving and changing is representing changes in someone's soul.

• Bumblebee4life

Bumblebee4life

#33741969 - 7 months ago

In reply to revanninja

You mean shadow hearts right?

• revanninja

#33741970 - 7 months ago

In reply to Bumblebee4life

?????

LOOKS

Oooh BBOOOOOY

YES

HAHA

My bad

Yes the series is Shadow Hearts thank you for catching that. 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33741986 - 7 months ago

Here's the thing: they knew enough about Semblances and showed as such on-screen that we could take the idea of them evolving as a reliable thing.  On the other hand, still waiting for the explanation as to why the Schnees have a hereditary Semblance.  I could have accepted the idea that Jacque Schnee basically imposed his will so much on his kids to the point that they were meant to be extensions of him, thus their Semblances would manifest the same way....but that's not the case.

With Aura, they explained it enough and showed enough that we could take it as reliable.  What makes the retconning worse there is that this is not a special power available to one or two people, this is a key setpiece of the setting, and if you make rules governing them, there'd better be a damn good explanation for why someone gets to break them.  Sure, they're just now getting into really scientifically examining Aura, but it'd be common sense to see its basic protective properties, how it relates to one's Semblance, and figure out how it works with both of those.  They've known that stuff for a while now, so the rules for it should be set in stone.  Yet when it came to writing the deaths of Sienna and Vernal, the rules for Aura became an obstacle, so the writers just changed them.  THAT'S my problem there.  This is not a tweaking of the rules, this is an outright sweeping change.

• superdoctor14

superdoctor14

#33742042 - 7 months ago

Hey question I was just reading a reply to a post and it said that the writters confirmed she isn't coming back that's not true is it? :( 

• mach56gs

mach56gs

#33742043 - 7 months ago

In reply to superdoctor14

The writers said that she's dead, but why would they confirm/admit that she is coming back? Wouldn't that ruin the surprise?

They're stuck in a bind. They can try and say that Pyrrha won't come back, but unless they are push it extremely hard or genuine enough, there can still be the idea that they are just hiding the truth for the big reveal.

And if you ask me, they haven't been as genuine or decisive as they've been on other characters - so I say it's still on the table. 

• revanninja

#33742044 - 7 months ago

No so far as I am aware the writers have not confirmed it at all.

They generally DONT talk about that subject and will happily dance around it.

Now people have taken them talking about it as them confirming her death but that is just them refering to it and ease of use as calling it her death.

But considering if they are planning something with her then using anything but her death is going to give it away.

Take the whole Vernal and Raven thing. They called Vernal the spring maiden during a panel before vol 5 which we know isnt true now.

So they can and will tell us untrue things to protect a plot twist. 

But again as far as I am aware they havent confirmed she isnt coming back at all.

• revanninja

#33742045 - 7 months ago

In reply to mach56gs

pretty much they might say she is dead but if they are planning to do ANYTHING with her saying when she got handled by cinder or anything but her death is going to tip people off something is up.

And we know they want to hide Plot twists like crazy. The VAs barely know anything ahead of time repeatedly said and shown by the VAs and Miles at panels and other like things such as Always Open.

And they have done big stuff like Raven and Vernal where they have flat out told us Vernal was the spring maiden which we know is a lie.

So they are more then willing to lie to make a plot twist happen.

And if they pull it off and make Pyrrha live again? its going to be like Raven is the spring Maiden reveal but so MUCH better.

it has a MASSIVE pay off.

• superdoctor14

superdoctor14

#33742047 - 7 months ago

In reply to mach56gs Yes it does seem rather odd that they keep drawing our attention back to her at points. And may I also point out that if they're not brining her back, I think including her in Chibi would be in very poor taste 

• revanninja

#33742050 - 7 months ago

They do keep bringing our attention back to her which is something a lot of us have noticed.

Its hard to keep attention on someone that is "dead" without making it obvious they are doing it.

So its a balancing act.

In vol 4 we had the dream which is STILL super odd plus the video

Vol 5 we had the remarks by Jaune about pyrrha telling him he has large amounts of aura and he still believes her.

We have the cereal Pumpkin Pete's which was her cereal.

Multiple merch still being made for her.

Its all a little odd if they went going to do anything more.

Then there is the fact Vol 6 looks like it might be dealing with her family as Argus the town they are going to has some legendary connections back to Achilles who she is based on.

• superdoctor14

superdoctor14

#33742053 - 7 months ago

That does make sense, I have wondered if she's the shadowy figure in the poster seems odd to keep her in the shadows if it's cinder it's not like, her figure is indistinctive, Oh and I just wanted to say that all you guys kickass for all the debate and heated passion that's on here sometimes, I know it all comes from a place of love so that's okay. It's been a lot of fun watching the board these past few years.

• revanninja

#33742055 - 7 months ago

No problem.

Its pretty much confirmed that shadowy figure is Cinder it has a left grimm arm just like Cinder and there is official art of the back of Cinder which the hair is a VERY close match to how she looks.

The difference in the arm is most likely due to the artist as the shadow isnt suppose to be in detail and isnt the focus.

So they are making it less detailed then normal.

A lot of people dont realize the figure has its back to the viewer but if you look at the hand of the grimm you can tell its designed to be looked at from the back based on fingers palm and even the wrist outline visible on it.

Also where the face is suppose to be is hair detail which is hard to see on anything but a good large image.

So people are just getting confused that is suppose to be cinder.

• mach56gs

mach56gs

#33742057 - 7 months ago

No way she's the shadowy figure on the poster, and to be frank Jaune mentioning Pyrrha in Volume 5 wasn't too suspect. The dream sequence, maybe...

What's important to me is the fact that JNR is hanging without any sort of plot or destination or agency for the past two volumes. Narrative-wise, nothing has been done to drag JNR away from Pyrrha or give them any other compelling goal or journey that would distract the audience from the absence of Pyrrha, or even grant them some hope of closure. That seems pretty weird and it's kinda an important thing to address soon,and to me they haven't made many small thematic efforts to begin to put the tragedy to rest.

Which leads me to believe that Pyrrha and JNR's loss of her is going to be a longer running thing, but how else do you 'run with it' other than bringing her back? She's already about 3 years in the past for us, lamenting on her death doesn't really hit a chord at this point. Closure doesn't do that much either, since time has drawn things out that we have already become desensitized and cynical about the circumstances of Pyrrha's death.

There is a whole web of conspiracy about Pyrrha's role in the story, and if it truly ends in Volume 3. It's fun to chase clues, but you don't always have to appear like a madman to others. Just looking at the general themes of RWBY and how the characters have been set up, it's still very strange that JNR have become so inconsequential since Volume 3, and something should happen to change that. Writing wise, JNPR were introduced hand in hand with RWBY, and were set up and given screentime that bespoke a pretty important role in the story - a hint at a deeper and more compelling storyline that makes them more important than Sun or Illia or any typical supporting character. 

We have yet to see the culmination of that promise/precedence that was set in Volume 3. So, I wait.