Forums > RWBY

RWBY and the Wizard of Oz

Posts (12)

• mummyfrog

mummyfrog FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Team RWBY

#33137058 - 3 years ago

Right so Ozpin is supposed to be the Wizard Oz

And Glynda is The good witch.

What about everyone else?

I believe Ruby represents Dorothy as both are the protagonists, Dorothy has her read slippers and Ruby has her red cloak.

Blake is the cowardly lion, The lion is always afraid and Blake is always running, (usually people run out of fear)

This is where people could help me explain this a bit.

Weiss could be the Tinman. The Tinman wanted a heart. Weiss defiantly has emotion issues as heard in the "White Trailer" during "Mirror Mirror"

And Yang could be The Scarecrow as Yang needs a brain metaphorically. She always rushes into a fight without thinking and letting her emotions overwhelm her. This is clear in episode 11, she rushes in without thinking and loses her arm.

Of course they are already based off of other fairy tale character but they could be based off of more than one.

If anybody agrees/disagrees say son in the comments, and if you have anymore evidence feel free to expand the theory.

• mummyfrog

mummyfrog FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Team RWBY

#33137059 - 3 years ago

Forgot to mention that Salem is the Wicked Witch of the west.

• orangeking98

orangeking98 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold dream crusher

#33137095 - 3 years ago

qrow is scarecrow and ironwood is tin man

• Rakanadyo

Rakanadyo

#33137102 - 3 years ago

The current team as of the end of Volume 3 can be interpreted the same.

Ruby as Dorothy, as stated above

Ren as the Cowardly Lion, but not because of fear. He is cold and aloof, so he appeals more to the Lion aspect than the Cowardly one

Nora is the Scarecrow, because she's very talkative, and her bubbly and upbeat nature can make her seem stupid to an outside observer.

Jaune as the Tin Man, because he fights in a metal suit of armor, and metaphorically he just lost his heart...

• Matches_Malone

Matches_Malone FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33266840 - 2 years ago

In reply to mummyfrog holy shit you just fucked my mind...

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33268015 - 2 years ago

In reply to mummyfrog

Summer Rose is the Dorothy.

Ironwood is the Tin Man.

Taiyang is the Cowardly Lion.

Qrow is the Scarecrow.

Zwei could be Toto, or the real Toto's puppy.

This isn't rocket science people.

No idea what Raven is, my best guess is a flying monkey, but I don't think that fits well enough.

Interesting to note however, that Dorothy's RUBY slippers were originally SILVER in the book.

• Yitsul

Yitsul

#33281023 - 2 years ago

Oscar Diggs' full Initials are O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D. Go figure. Now what gets on my nerves is the fact that most people don't know that the Wonderful Wizard of Oz is only the first story. Now, who is the Hungry Tiger?, Tik-Tok?, Jack Pumpkinhead? Princess Ozma?

• matteflowers

matteflowers FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Cappy

#33316488 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

This makes a lot of sense. I mean we don't know much about Tai, but if he can be seen as hiding from things in Patch then that would make sense for him to be the lion. 

I would add that it makes sense to view Salem as the Wicked Witch of the West (especially given that her name can be a reference to the Salem Witch Trials).

I have wondered about Raven in this whole set up. At least in terms of what character she may be. It may stand to reason that in some sense both she and Qrow are the Scarecrow (Their last name can be interpreted as either crow or raven). It would be the first example of two characters with a shared referential basis, so that's only a guess, perhaps if they are twins or something along those lines it might make more sense. 

I suppose a flying monkey could fit since there really are no other major characters unaccounted for, unless you include the Wicked Witch of the East who dies off screen. Maybe Vol 4 will make that a bit clearer.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33316581 - 2 years ago

In reply to matteflowers

Forgot to mention Salem.

• ralts2kurlia

ralts2kurlia FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33497099 - 2 years ago

Possible update

Ruby is Dorothy

Ozpin is OZ

Glenda is The Good witch

Qrow is the Scarecrow

Iornwood  is  The Tinman

Professor Lionheart is The cowardly Lion

Salem is Wicket Witch of the West

Cinder is Wicket Witch of the East

Terrain, Watson and Hazel could be the flying monkeys but that's a stretch

• user-56b17f5cd9ae8

user-56b17f5cd9ae8

#33699029 - 1 year ago

In reply to ralts2kurlia

If my research is correct ( there is a possibility that it isn't) you are almost right... I've noticed that Ozpin's closest "commanders" most of whom are/were haedmasters are the ones based on characters from the land of Oz. Ruby and Cinder already have characters... Little red riding hood and Cinderella respectively,making them inelegable for this list... Really the only ones missing is Dorathy and Toto... There are in my mind only two possible answers one being Raven, she was once with Ozpin and then "returned to Kansas", by going back to her tribe, with Vernal her right hand being Toto( I really have no evidence for Vernal being Toto other than how close she is to Raven). The other one is the headmaster of shade academy and her most trusted adviser... I wouldn't be surprised of they don't reveal the headmaster to be a girl with a dog faunus as an adviser.

• ajdrake4

ajdrake4 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33699047 - 1 year ago

There are a lot of characters that could fit into the characters  of Wizard of Oz, albeit with a bit of a stretch. 

Team RWBY

Ruby is Dorthy- references Ruby/ silver slippers with name and eyes

Yang is the Scarecrow- has to get a brain, or rather learn to use her brain in fights, Also ends up with the Relic of Knowledge 

Weiss is the Tinman- At the start of the series, she seems the most heartless, but grows more compassionate as the series goes on

Blake is the Cowardly Lion- she has to learn not to run away, bonus points because she is also a cat Faunus

As Rakanadyo said RNJR could fit. STRQ also can fit as well

Summer is Dorthy

Qrow is the Scarecrow

Raven would be the Cowardly Lion

which makes Tai the Tinman- lost his heart (Summer), and "froze" up due to his depression.

Though the most obvious references so far are the Ozlumati.

Ozpin is the Wizard

Glynda the Good Witch

Qrow the Scarecrow

Ironwood the Tinman

Leo Lionheart- the Cowardly Lion

Ruby and Summer could both be Dorthy for this group, but could there be another Dorthy analogue, perhaps the Headmistress of the School in Vacuo?

With Salem as the wicked witch

Though this also raises the question of how much of this is stuff the writers wanted us to see, or is it the audience seeing connections where the authors originally intended none. Allegory vs. applicability.