Forums > RWBY

what about Summer Rose?

Posts (38)

• erickhc

erickhc

#33147045 - 3 years ago

after finishing volume 3, I decided to go back and rewatch RWBY. In V2C6 Burning the Candle, Yang reveals how she and Ruby are daughters to different mothers. We know that Raven (Yang's mom) is still around, even hough we don't know what te hell she's up to, but all we know about Summer's fate is that she "left for a mission and never came back", and is presumed dead. You know how it is with these shows, if you haven't seen the body you should keep some doubt in your mind, and I think this is specially true with such a mysterious character and how important she could be not just for being Ruby's mother but also for having the fabled "silver eyes" power.

Having such a person as an uncomfirmed death just leaves room for some awesome twists later on. You'd think taking down someone who has a power that Grimm fear wouldn't be easy - look at what Ruby did without not even knowing about it and being just a child. And I don't think Summer just plain left, that would be really unfortunate for this family to have TWO mothers walk out on their husband and children. So, was Summer captured, possibly by Salem? That would make Salem pretty damn powerful. Will Summer show up in the show, even if just her body to confirm the death and maybe shed some light on who killed her?

• Akali_thomson

Akali_thomson

#33158713 - 3 years ago

listen to Red like roses part 2, the song confirms that Summer is dead, second verse is from Summer's point of view. what I shall paste here

I know you're broken down by anger and by sadness
    You feel I left you in a world that's full of madness
    Wish I could talk to you, if only for a minute
    Make you understand the reasons why I did it

I wanna tell you that you're all that ever mattered
    Want you to know that, for eternity, I'm shattered
    I tried so hard just to protect you, but I failed to
    And in a prison of abandonment I've jailed you

I never planned that I would leave you there alone
    I was sure that I would see you when I made it back home
    And all the times I swore that it would be okay
    Now I'm nothing but a liar, and you're thrown into the fray

This bedtime story ends with misery ever after
    The pages are torn, and there's no final chapter
    I didn't have a choice, I did what I had to do
    I made a sacrifice, but forced a bigger sacrifice on you

I know you've lived a nightmare
    I caused you so much pain
    But, baby, please don't do what I did
    I don't want you to waste your life in vain.

they don't put details like that in their songs, it's not like roosterteeth to put something like that in a song about one of their main characters and not follow through with it, also Tai and Qrow wouldn't lie to Ruby or Yang about if Summer is alive or dead, Tai lost Raven and when he lost Summer, he broke down, Yang even says he broke down and Qrow it's not in his nature to lie to Ruby or Yang because of their close relations, he even tells them about his missions and pretty much goes into detail about it, he might be a drunk but not a liar.

• Night_Wolf9

Night_Wolf9 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33159657 - 3 years ago

I believe Summer Rose is dead, but I still hope we will see some flash back scenes. Maybe even from her last battle. It would be cool, and sad at the same time. I can only imagine how strong she would be, with her silver eyes power and everything.

• MarineSpectre

MarineSpectre

#33163098 - 3 years ago

Ruby has the power of silver eyes, we all know this, but her mother's name is Summer Rose as stated on her gravestone. Was Summer Rose the Summer maiden? If so, was her daughter, Ruby, in her final thoughts? Is Ruby a legendary silver-eyed warrior as well as the summer maiden? Silver eyes are already overpowered, but maybe Ruby's more than overpowered. :O

• ShadowDragon93

ShadowDragon93

#33181561 - 3 years ago

In reply to MarineSpectre

Maybe Summer was the Summer Maiden, maybe not. But I'm quite sure, Ruby isn't.

Why? Well, think of what Glinda said: The ones being selected to be maidens are only young women. I asume, when Summer died, Ruby was about 5. There's a difference between a young woman and a little child. So this simply isn't possible.

And I hope for RT, that they discover this flaw soon enough before they give in into some fan theory that I couldn't approve.

And why do I seem to be the only one thinking about this fact when it comes to Ruby being a maiden? It was clearly stated and simply no one considers this...Or at least, I haven't found a comment that stated this as well.

• ShadowDragon93

ShadowDragon93

#33181562 - 3 years ago

In reply to Night_Wolf9

Seeing her within flahbacks would be literally the only thing working out in terms of showing her to the audience, if RT really don't want to pull through the "we resurrect one of the most hyped characters in the show, just because we can"-line. (Which simply would not do)

• Akali_thomson

Akali_thomson

#33198977 - 3 years ago

In reply to ShadowDragon93 but who says the power can't sit inside of them when they are kids and only manifest when they are older? just saying.

• Night_Wolf9

Night_Wolf9 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33200073 - 3 years ago

In reply to Akali_thomson

No Ruby is not a Maiden. It contradicts the story of Vol 3 if she was. There is no reason to point out a new Maiden, a guardian of Beacon, if there already is one. It is stated in vol 3 that Ozpin, Glynda, Qrow, and Ironwood, have removed the Maidens from the public eye. So they must know who the Maidens are.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33200233 - 3 years ago

Whether Summer is alive or dead I could see her being hunted or attacked due to her silver eyes. For people like Cinder and Salem I'd imagine they'd want that thread dealt with.

• BelladonnaFawkes

BelladonnaFawkes FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33202766 - 3 years ago

I would really like to see a flashback episode to team STRQ well at Beacon.

• BelladonnaFawkes

BelladonnaFawkes FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33202767 - 3 years ago

I would really like to see a flashback episode to team STRQ well at Beacon.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33202778 - 3 years ago

In reply to Aferdig7

Ditto.

• M_Artin

M_Artin

#33202937 - 3 years ago

I've been juggling theory of Summer being alive for a while, but i can't really imagine Summer Rose leaving her family. While i'm certain that the grave is empty(she never came back=they never found the body= nothing to bury) i don't really expect her to be alive, although i'm certain she WILL be important at some point in the future. Considering what Ruby did to Kevin i don't expect any Grimm to be able to defeat silver-eyed warrior, so i'm pretty sure we can safely exclude simple professional risk, she was most likely intentionally murdered and two suspects i have are Cinder and Adam. I don't think Salem dealt with her personally, because she seems to be at least partially Grimm, if Ruby could freeze Kevin without even knowing she can, then White Rose clearly would be huge problem for Salem.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33203334 - 3 years ago

I wonder if silver eyes just affect grimm. It bothers them most yes but maybe it's appliable to other beings as well? If so I can't imagine Cinder or Adam taking Summer down alone or together.

• M_Artin

M_Artin

#33203473 - 3 years ago

In reply to OtherGram

While is suspect it may be used against non-grimm i think it can be effectively weaponized only against grimm. If the Wizard is real he surely didn't give maidens unimaginable powers for combat, expecially if it was because of their kindness. It's just these powers can be used as a weapons, silver-eyed magic may be similar, originally it was not intended as a weapon at all, it just happened to be effective weapon against grimm. In fact i suspect that it's because silver eyed magic is so effective against Grim that Salem needs Cinder and co. in the first place, and that's why she's on top of my list of suspects in Summer's death.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33203885 - 3 years ago

I'd say the wizard being real is legit at this point. Hmm that may honestly depend on how rwby's magic works and it's origins. If the maidens gained it from this old man then where did the humans with silver eyes gain it? It's hereditary so that's a whole can of possibilities right there.

The part of Salem sounds likely so to me as well.

• Akali_thomson

Akali_thomson

#33205017 - 3 years ago

In reply to Night_Wolf9

it's more of a what if that I did.

kinda something I do.

but yeah I know she isn't a maiden.

it's just fun to talk about it.

• Night_Wolf9

#33205087 - 3 years ago

In reply to Night_Wolf9

it's more of a what if that I did.

kinda something I do.

but yeah I know she isn't a maiden.

it's just fun to talk about it.

It sure is. I have always wondered if Qrow's drinking could have anything to do with the death of Summer Rose. Assuming she is dead of cause.

• Akali_thomson

Akali_thomson

#33205531 - 3 years ago

In reply to Night_Wolf9

well she was one of his friends so it probably does because if you look at the picture he shows Ruby and Yang it has tear stains in it

• Kibatu

Kibatu

#33206232 - 3 years ago

Prepare for big wall of text on theory. (tl;dr part at end of post.)

I have my own theory on Summer Rose, but I feel it's more convoluted than it should be. However, when I notice these small details in Volume 2, I could only jump the gun on this and imagine the possibilities that this would bring if this was the case, and how it got there.

So my theory is simply as thus: In Volume 2, during the scene where the girls and Oobleck were on the train, they jump into the carts of the train. Yang stays behind to fight Neo, who generally stays very silent and smug through the whole series.

As Neo was about to finish off Yang, suddenly Raven, Yang's mother comes to rescue her.

Now there are a few things to notice in this specific scene. First off is that notice the jewelry around their necks. They look oddly, yet definitely similar, in design and as to how many there are. This kind of detail can be thrown out the window though as... well, women, jewelry, kind of a thing.

But the second piece to this is Neo's eyes. Neo's eyes specifically change from brown/pink to pure silver, and as everyone knows by this point, Summer Rose, Ruby's mom, were the same, in having silver eyes. This one you could make the slight argument that it's "vanilla" color, as Neo herself is based of Neapolitan ice cream, Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry mixed into one container, BUT I ask this... through the whole thing, Neo almost always used Brown and Pink eyes, no matter what the circumstance... So why is it that during this one specific moment, both of her eyes change to Silver? (Vanilla if you're still arguing.)

After that though, the other small details are how small Neo is compared to Yang, her hairstyle being similar to the one seen in the picture of Team STRQ, and to top it off, Neo being so scared, worried, afraid in that one single moment, when every single other time Neo has been seen, she has been smug, cocky, great at fighting and can woop on people... But running away from Raven specifically?

My conclusion is this: I don't know how, I don't know why, and I don't know what happened to Summer Rose, but with these things factoring in at once, I have a very suspicious theory that Neo is Summer Rose. (But in the grand scheme of things, it's a theory, and I'm sure can be debunked pretty hardcore, and proven, if someone wants to be that guy, but hey, I'll have my fun with my own thoughts if that's the case.)

Phew, long post is long. tl;dr, My theory is that Neo, the one smug character in the series, being scared of Raven, her eyes changing to silver for just that moment in V2C11: No Brakes, being so short, hairstyle and even the necklace jewelry matching Raven's, I'm starting to think Neo is in fact Summer Rose. (The end)

• Z_Cypher

Z_Cypher

#33206246 - 3 years ago

The most convincing lie is one that blind those who hear it into believing it's truth.

I'm not saying that Summer Rose isn't dead, as she most likely is. But the fact that there was no body is still a loose end. It may be only that, or it may be a plot twist that hits us like a bloody mac truck. Only time will tell.

• M_Artin

M_Artin

#33206813 - 3 years ago

In reply to Kibatu

I've been juggling this theory myself for a while, it would actually explain why Neo never says anything(if she cannot hide her voice, they speaking aloud would give her away), the thing that bugs me is that i can't really imagine Summer would try to kill Yang(unless she knew Raven would come, but i don't think so, since Raven was on her wn for a while). There is still a chance that Summer and Neo are related though.

• Akali_thomson

Akali_thomson

#33206817 - 3 years ago

In reply to Z_Cypher

Watch the Blu-Ray Vol3 Blu-Ray extra, confirmed Summer being dead.

"losing Penny is a real tough one for her, she hasn't lost anyone major except for her mum"

this was said by Kerry Shawcross aka Director and Co-writer of the RWBY series.

and the whole no body no proof they are dead thing is kinda a stupid movie thing that is completely cliche.

like as an enemy would you return the body of someone you killed back to their family? pffft nope why should you?

and the tear stains on Qrow's photo tells you that she was close to him, probably like a sister. because if she was just lost he would be trying to find her but no there are tears for a reason, she is dead and he started drinking because of it. (though that can be debated.)

I am not lying when I say she is dead because there is more proof that she is completely dead then her being alive, like Red like roses part 2, it is a song about Ruby coming to terms with her mother being DEAD.

it would ruin Ruby's character to have Summer come back.

it would kinda ruin the whole series too because there would be another "silver eyed warrior" walking around, where would the threat be? where would it be if there was a more powerful silver eyed warrior walking around? there wouldn't be a threat because she would be able to kill Grimm with just a look.

• Kibatu

Kibatu

#33206987 - 3 years ago

Now see, in some cases, I know that sometimes there are flat out lies in series so that they can throw a wrench in the socket and reveal a thing later.

It happens in plenty of anime's as well, but I'm not saying that they're lying about this in particular, but hey, I'll still have my own theory and be happy.

Now the song part is simply a song, and it could just be symbolism as to how Summer would feel about leaving her behind. (Being vague specifically can always throw people off.) As for the "feeling a lost of someone", Ruby only "knows" that Summer is dead, but I'm still thinking there's something more to this.

Also, think of this... if Summer was indeed a "Silver eyed warrior", and is Neo of all people.. then why is she working on the wrong side and helping Cinder and crew SPREAD chaos by having Grimm attack and kill people like this? I'd say that's a threat to any OTHER silver eyed warrior.

• Night_Wolf9

#33207037 - 3 years ago

In reply to Z_Cypher

Watch the Blu-Ray Vol3 Blu-Ray extra, confirmed Summer being dead.

"losing Penny is a real tough one for her, she hasn't lost anyone major except for her mum"

this was said by Kerry Shawcross aka Director and Co-writer of the RWBY series.

and the whole no body no proof they are dead thing is kinda a stupid movie thing that is completely cliche.

like as an enemy would you return the body of someone you killed back to their family? pffft nope why should you?

and the tear stains on Qrow's photo tells you that she was close to him, probably like a sister. because if she was just lost he would be trying to find her but no there are tears for a reason, she is dead and he started drinking because of it. (though that can be debated.)

I am not lying when I say she is dead because there is more proof that she is completely dead then her being alive, like Red like roses part 2, it is a song about Ruby coming to terms with her mother being DEAD.

it would ruin Ruby's character to have Summer come back.

it would kinda ruin the whole series too because there would be another "silver eyed warrior" walking around, where would the threat be? where would it be if there was a more powerful silver eyed warrior walking around? there wouldn't be a threat because she would be able to kill Grimm with just a look.

I agree with you in this. Who do you think was the leader STRQ ?. I believer it was Summer Rose since she was a silver eyed warrior like Ruby.