Forums > RWBY

Pyrrha's death and why it doesn't make sense

Posts (42)

• acw28

acw28

#33332682 - 1 year ago

In reply to JROY

Just a thread about her death in general.

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.2

#33332685 - 1 year ago

In reply to acw28

Ah I'm not as much critical about the last episode as much as I think we haven't seen the last of her.

• acw28

acw28

#33332691 - 1 year ago

In reply to JROY

That's my consensus of the topic as well, but it's a matter of debate whether we'll just see more videos, her bonded with another soul, fully resurrected, or become a Grimm-like creature, however that debate is for the other thread.

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.2

#33332751 - 1 year ago

So wait who's side is who on I need to know who to properly targe...I mean have a civilized debate with... bowtie 

• acw28

acw28

#33332754 - 1 year ago

In reply to JROY

Personally, I'd like to see a Grimm Pyrrha because I feel it'll have some nice character development for Jaune and lead to some interesting story lines. I do admit that this seems unlikely, but that doesn't stop me from speculating. 

• JROY

#33332758 - 1 year ago

In reply to acw28

Same for me, I would love it if it did happen but given the dreams I'm pretty sure thats not what Pyrrha's come back would be.

• Tecno_Ninja

Tecno_Ninja

#33333493 - 1 year ago

i personally think she is alive 

• acw28

acw28

#33333496 - 1 year ago

In reply to Tecno_Ninja

Evidence? Aside rom gut feeling?

• Tecno_Ninja

Tecno_Ninja

#33333502 - 1 year ago

In reply to acw28 the dream ruby had in episode 2 I have a felling that's going to be important later because they showed it to us 

• acw28

acw28

#33333521 - 1 year ago

In reply to Tecno_Ninja

The dream is significant, we just don't know if it means Pyrrha's alive, "soul bonded" with Ruby, or is a side effect of Silver Eyes.

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33333672 - 1 year ago

In reply to Burning_Zero

Pyrrha's death is not yet a serious case of Fridging, it lacks the heavy revenge undertones. Right now, it looks like RNJR is on a quest for justice, to stop Cinder and her group's evil plan. 

What frightens me is that, from what I've read across the net, many people want it to be Fridging so bad. They like to imagine Ruby mutilate Cinder with her scythe just like Penny was destroyed by her wires, the dream about a righteous angry Jaune overpower her with his super-awesome-cool-strong-invincible-totally not fanfic-y Semblance and then impaling her with his gallant sword... Stuff like that. 

Among all the RWBY members, Yang is probably the only one who I can easily depict punching people left and right to get info about the White Fang and Adam (she has already done such things), obviously with a robo-arm and newly found anger, motivation and confident. 

In reply to WrightKnight

When the protagonists lack in raw power they can make up for in cunning and strategic thinking. They could have found a way to defeat the villains without resorting to other unbelievable powers. 

Still, I'll wait for more developments.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33333737 - 1 year ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

All that is needed for it to be a Fridging death is the death to be more about the reactions of others than the person being killed, whether it be invoked by another character or the author.  Considering that they tacked on the Traumatic Superpower Awakening on it, it most definitely qualifies.  Revenge overtones are simply one of the reactions that could be taken.  What makes it so jarring is that not a few episodes before, they succeeded brilliantly in achieving the effect of a Fridging death without actually killing anyone, AND they used the appropriate characters to drive the scene. (Yang, Blake and Adam).

• Aleksandr926

Aleksandr926

#33333775 - 1 year ago

In reply to WrightKnight

You're right. Guess I should study the dictionary of tropes more, next time.

Yang losing an arm was a much better planned scene than Pyrrha's death. It was the result of the involved people's choices, since they were in character and they sticked to the individual: Yang's injure wasn't executed to trigger Blake's escape and, from the last episode of Volume 4 (SPOILER), it's revealed she's not looking for the White Fang. It definitely felt more real (it didn't even unlock Ruby's silver eyes, for that matter). 

Its goals are probably to prove a point (how batshit crazy and how strong Adam really is) and to further develop Yang personality (and by doing so, remaining tied to the victim and not to someone else, even if I don't like the abuse of growth by trauma). 

• takecareofKnives

takecareofKnives

#33334037 - 1 year ago

In reply to acw28look at how much the wind is blowing Cinders clothes, than look at how fast Pyrrha's "ashes" are "blown".

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33334378 - 1 year ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

Thing is, if they absolutely needed to do the Traumatic Superpower Awakening with the Silver Eyes, Yang's actually the BEST character to do that with.  Just change the arm getting cut off to Adam sawing halfway through her (which would have been more in-character for him, being the massive specist that he is).  She's a main character who had her one character arc finished (Mommy found her and doesn't actually want anything to do with her), so she gets to survive until Ruby and Blake are there to give final words to before bleeding out near the Bullheads.  From what it looks like, Yang's maiming DID trigger an upgrade in Blake's Semblance, because what she did there looked like the shit NEO usually does (wide-area, long-lasting imagery).

• cabbitguy

cabbitguy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33411168 - 1 year ago

In reply to Aleksandr926

I don't always like the death of character to show how weak the heroes are either.  We knew from the fight that as awesome as Pyrrha is, she was no match for Cinder.  

The story could have easily could have used a near death to awaken her powers.  Pyrrha gets hit with arrow.  Cinder reaches for her and Ruby goes "Silver Eyed Saiyan" mode freezing the Dragrimm and for the first time in the series, taking Cinder completely, utterly off-guard.  Ruby awakens to learn about her silver eyes and Pyrrha is severely injured, in a coma, may never to walk again (the arrow did go through her after all).  We now know Ruby has the silver eyes of legend and its power, Jaune feels guilty for being stupidly weak, Pyrhha's dream to be a huntress is crushed.  Horrible ending, but "nothing bad ever happens" accomplished.

Thought about the why Jaune called a students after being present for Ozpin's orders to Pyrrha too.  Maybe he tried all of them but couldn't get through for reason "X"  I would have thought he would have called Ruby though.

• Burning_Zero

Burning_Zero FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gunpla is Freedom!

#33411221 - 1 year ago

The volume which made fans rage quit.