Forums > RWBY

Overall Points discussed in 'Consequences of Pyrrha Nikos' Death' (Before the thread became a general one)

Posts (147)

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172325 - 3 years ago

even disregarding the whole destiny thing and how poorly written it was to torture Pyrrha for Rubys power level development, which I still hope more and more people will voice to RT as time goes on.

I seriously was against such a dark shift but only at the end when Pyrrha died, that was a bridge too far even discounting all that had happened before, and retroactively made me nolonger tollerate all the had happened before. A show that had slight dark undertones but was ultimately an optomistic shonen style series, went from chibi Ruby in season one, and corgi fireball in season 2, to the very BEST explanation people are able to give being a teenager driven to suicide in the span of 6 episodes. I didnt come here to watch Ringing Bell.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33172339 - 3 years ago

In reply to Operator115

Yeah, there is absolutely no way she knew that was coming. I also don't buy the "driven to suicide" angle.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172386 - 3 years ago

i am once more depressed. Am I just not good at articulating my point? Every time I try I not only get deflected, but someone goes out of their way to make me feel like I am objectively in the wrong for even being on this side. I think I might need help voicing my point better.

• MythicFox

MythicFox

#33172467 - 3 years ago

In reply to AAGGRESSS

......wat

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172484 - 3 years ago

In reply to MysticBlue I think that just proved my point. I am saying that I have been making a slew of arguments, many of them interconnected, about the dis satasfaction of the series tone shift, the poor execution of Pyrrhas death, my general dislike of RTs attitide, my hope for things getting better, and my fear that this series...my favorite series, will go the way of Ringing Bell. But each time I make an argument nomatter how sincere I try to be I am deflected and whoever deflects me seems to go out of their way to make me feel like i am in the wrong just for being on this side of the opinionated argument. I dont like getting constantly told I am wrong over being angry about Pyrrhas death, and wanting her and Penny to come back.

• MythicFox

MythicFox

#33172495 - 3 years ago

@AAGGRESSS
    g::looks up Ringing Bell::
    O_O' this is partly why I generally don't watch animation from the 70's and 80's.

Go ahead, put forth your argument. I'll listen.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172499 - 3 years ago

In reply to MysticBlue Terribly sorry to traumatize your inner child like that. but I see loose parallels, what with RWBY starting as an adorable cartoon then suddenly shifting to dark, and I DONT want to see my favorite show go down the same path and...end on the same oppressively bleak note. That is my primary problem with the dark shift. My problem with Pyrrhas death is separate but related, as I have mentioned scattered about many forum threads here, I have many different problems with it, ranging from killing off an interesting character for no other reason than to further Rubys story and add anxt, ending her story prematurely, giving her a horrible death scene just for aforementioned anxt and to beef up Cinders evil points. Killing the most genuine, well liked and flat out adorable couples in the series...i could go on but some of this is flat out obvious. I am just tired of people defending it in such a way, they act like they are completely in the right and that i have no business having an opinion that doesn't match theirs. And yes I was also mocked for getting angry and the way people were deflecting me as well.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33172616 - 3 years ago

One problem I have with Pyrrha is they built her too much. If she was always meant to be killed and never come back they built her character WAY too much for it. Outside of Team RWBY Jaune and Pyrrha have by FAR the most character build up almost on par with Team RWBY. Nora and Ren together dont have nearly as much characterization as Pyrrha does.

I have heard some arguments that Vol 1-3 are comparable to an anime's single season and while I can see it the argument is used in defense of Pyrrha being killed and it doesnt stack up with that. RWBY vol 1-3 has come out over 3 years and it has allowed us to get attached to Pyrrha in a normal anime you get 12 or so episodes per season and by that time 3 months or so have passed while RWBY you have 36 or so episodes and several of them are Pyrrha/Jaune centered. The level of build up and time makes it so saying Pyrrha is just a season 1 character to show off the dangers of the world doesnt really stand up from my point of view.

It also doesnt help the writing on HOW she got there is shaky at best. It seems really contrived that Pyrrha chose to go up that tower. If they wanted to kill her off there is a lot better ways to do it then the way they did and still make it be Pyrrha. That is my big complaint the fight and her death dont seem to be the pyrrha I have come to know over 3 volumes. And with her death seemingly being a power up trigger it feels cheap to me.

They could have done several things different while still retaining the overall plan that wouldnt have made Pyrrha's death feel out of place and cheap, like having her defending Jaune after he attacks Cinder since out of everyone Jaune is the one who doesnt know the situation and doesnt realize how heavily stacked that battle was in cinder's favor. It wouldnt have made Pyrrha death feel cheap it would have been heartbreaking to have her Die defending Jaune and having him realize that was his mistake and you could have had Ruby STILL get her Silver eyes following that.

Its how off Pyrrha's death feels and how little anyone both in the show and from RT reacts to it that makes me think hinky stuff is going on. I am hoping we are going to see a Dark Pyrrha at the end of Vol 4.

10_1_by_jo3mm-d9upzfz.png

Pyrrha: Hello.

• Operator115

Operator115

#33172629 - 3 years ago

Exactly, her death feels forced, no matter what way I look at it, no matter what excuse i make or am told, there is no real reason other than to die as a plot device, to make ruby go super nova and freeze the grim dragon and literally kick start the plot for the show.

There is no avoiding that, that was the reason for her death.

There are now 8 months before the next episode of RWBY, and I bet RT wash oping this drama was going to keep us intrested for volume four, shame it back fired on them.

• MythicFox

MythicFox

#33172640 - 3 years ago

I am somehow anticipating pain from whatever RWBY-related thing Kerry is supposedly working on. I don't want more pain. And I hope it isn't an April Fools joke. Some fans are still raw nerves weeks after the season finale.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172730 - 3 years ago

In reply to MysticBlue Mek above is an example of what I meant with my argument being deflected.

In reply to Operator115 Do we have confirmation it backfired on them solidly? I am still hoping for retribution.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172757 - 3 years ago

In reply to MEK1724 I am trying to. I have been this entire time. I am not great at articulating my point, which is why i have a lot of trouble defending my arguments and defer to smarter people. I have points but I cant express them propperly.

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33172771 - 3 years ago

infact for the moment, I will let a much smarter man make a point for me. https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/3742685.html#cu...

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33172773 - 3 years ago

from my phone

If you are having trouble bullet point your ideas such as

Arrow in Pyrrha chest is the only one that glows

Cinder arrow reforms looks a LOT like how Pyrrha turned to dust

Stuff like that it may not be perfectly clear but it is a place to start

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33173285 - 3 years ago

so ya I dont have a lot of time for writing at the moment due to school, but in 30 seconds I managed to throw together a minute segment of a fan fiction I am kinda hoping to produce later. Detailing my view on how Pyrrha could survive and further the story with her own. Here have a free sneek peek.

RWBY: Dark red

Pain, that was her world. Aches flowed all across a battered and broken body as watter would flow through the twists and turns of a river. Every breath shallow, senidng ripples of dull, throbbing pain throughout her entire being. She knew not if she was dead or alive, her only clue being the aching of her gently shifting body on a hard, unforgiving ground, and the dull, ringing buzz in her head, clouding her thoughts with the feeling of everything she had been through crashing down on her at once. For what felt like a dark eternity she lay there, just breathing laboredly, trying to gather her strength enough to move a single muscle...

slowly, a pair of emerald green eyes dragged themselves open, to stare up at an alien, purple sky, and the familiar shattered moon. Violet mists encircled her view, and colored crystaline structures lay at the edges of her sight. It was like nothing she had ever seen before...and it certainly did not offer any further clues to if she was dead or alive. Then, she heard it, a voice from not far away, a feminin voice, cold, deliberate and calm, but dripping with malice and a sort of evil coming from the excitement of watching a hated enemy in pain. The kind of voice she had only imagined before as a young girl hearing stories of demonic creatures from places men and monster alike fear to tread. The words washed over her leaving a chill as if her very soul was pulled out of her body for a second...

"Pyrrha Nikos, Rise...my champion."

• MythicFox

MythicFox

#33173538 - 3 years ago

In reply to AAGGRESSS

Please post a link to your fanfic-in-progress if you hit a snag.

Okay, this is probably gonna sound stupid as hell, but what if in the coming volumes or at least when team RNJR reaches Haven and visits Pyrrha's family, it'll be revealed that Pyrrha was originally 'the girl next door' to Jaune and his family before her own family moved or something (discovery of natural talent would draw too much attention?). She somewhat remembers Jaune but he doesn't remember or even know her name. It would partly explain why she was interested in Jaune and teamed up with him during Initiation - her crush may have started as early as childhood and she acted on those feelings mainly because she sort of knows how simple-minded he is.

It...this sounds dumb. Otherwise this would be a good start for a fluff fanfic ::shrugs::

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33173543 - 3 years ago

In reply to MysticBlue For that to work, it would be a scenario where she was too shy to ever even speak to him as a little girl, so he never got a good look at her, explaining why she doesnt even remind him of anyone. While potential, I am not sure that this would be something RT are gona pull. Then again as I mentioned with my reasoning for Pyrrha coming back, they have gone the odd way more than once before...i mean just look at Caboose, he is plenty odd.

• DoYourResearch

DoYourResearch

#33173693 - 3 years ago

Just randomly throwing this in here...

How to make a good character death: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HYIDyqCxXoA

So, was Pyrrha's death good or not? XD

• pietjepolo

pietjepolo

#33173698 - 3 years ago

In reply to Swisslp

I agree with number 2.... Oke, dont hate, i know allot of you dont agree with me on that, but thats my opinion. Number 7 is where Pyrrha's death comes in....

• DoYourResearch

DoYourResearch

#33173716 - 3 years ago

Criteria 3 and 7 are the points where Pyrrha's death partially fails. Though Nr. 3 could be easily fixed in vol. 4 when we see how her death affected team RNJR - especially Jaune. --> Jaune becomes finally a badass hopefully!

Bringing her back would ruin Nr. 2 not only for her, but also for every charcater death in the future and before hers. If we can bring back Pyrrha, why not just resurrect Summer (if she's dead), Roman, Amber and even Tucson when we're at it? Oh, I forgot, they're weren't so popular. So, resurrecting wouldn't fix anything!

EDIT: I really want to see how Cardin's reaction to Pyrrha's death is, because he was the only character in the show that personally held a grudge against her. But I'm pretty sure we wont see him again. Whatever...

• pietjepolo

pietjepolo

#33173719 - 3 years ago

In reply to Swisslp

I dont know if number 3 is aimed at our reaction, because it did that. Or that its aimed at the reaction of other characters is the show, because it didn't.... And yea, I agree with you with number 2..... But i do know that allot of people disagree with us on that.

• revanninja

#33173785 - 3 years ago

In reply to Swisslp

Okay Number 2 is COMPLETELY false.

There is a LOT of ways to make Death still have meaning even if someone is brought back. The easiest is by having it be a limited one time only thing.

FFVI for example did a REALLY good job with it.

Locke Cole one of the Characters is looking for a treasure to bring his girlfriend back who died while on a treasure hunt with him. He finds the Phoenix Magicite but it is DEEPLY cracked. When he uses it on Rachel's preserved body it breaks seemingly unable to work. But Rachel opens her eyes and talks to Locke for a bit forgiving him and telling him to move on. Then what little time she has expires and she dies again.

This is a good example of how a limited one time thing was able to bring someone back to life without it undermining death itself.

If the situation for the revival is unique and something that cant normally happen then no it doesnt undermine death. Its only when death is EASILY able to be turned over that it becomes pointless.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33173800 - 3 years ago

What I don't get it why Pyrrha would go face Cinder without backup. Honestly, they had a friggin' dragon, and they SHIPPED THE KNIGHT OFF IN A ROCKET?!?!?!?!?!?! Bruh.

The fan fiction I've been working on could bring Pyrrha back, but it could also cover an important flaw in Pyrrha's judgement. In the fanfic I'm working on, Pyrrha is resurrected using some of the Vault tech, by the head engineer and researcher from the Vault-- Silas Nikos, Pyrrha's almost-identical twin brother (born with an XY chromosome pair, not an XX- other than that, he and Pyrrha are identical).

When hooked up to a computer mainframe, Pyrrha asks him: "Do you believe in Destiny?", to which he replies: "Oh, Py. It's not a matter of believing in Destiny, it's a matter of which one you choose when the time is right. Destiny is every fork-in-the-road to a Fate which is the sum of all Destinies, the end of your journey. I'll give you a second chance, so please choose wisely."

• AAGGRESSS

AAGGRESSS

#33174075 - 3 years ago

why the heck is it that whenever someone says bringing Pyrrha back, they act as if we mean slamming the door to the afterlife open and leaving it there? Even we, the fans who want Pyrrha back, are not looking for an easy way out. There are a load of ways to bring her back without having death be meaningless...including just using some subtrefuge to show she was never dead to begin with, or have her resurected by the soposedly almost godlike villain, then purified with Jaunes aura. Or as I have mentioned, have Jaune and Ruby complete 3 impossible tasks for a old woman on a mountain or some other fairytail stuff like that. Obviously we want to see the characters work for something good, and saying we just want her retconned back to life instantly is insulting the intelligance of the Pyrrha hopeful, and insulting our forsight as fans, so quit it.

• unsold_hearts

unsold_hearts

#33174094 - 3 years ago

In reply to AAGGRESSS

Most I've seen recently on this summed up to "yeah it could totally happen, but doing this kinda thing correctly is pretty hard to pull off and we don't know how much the writers want to maintain the integrity found in the finality of death if she actually did die". Looks like you're just victimizing yourself to me. Only time is gonna give us these answers as the show moves forward.