Forums > RWBY

Heroes...what does it mean in RWBY?

Posts (38)

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33205546 - 3 years ago

Before we get started I would like to say this will be a very long post and I predict topic overall.

It's has been about two months since I last visited these forums and the Pyrrha Nikos form I was avidly apart of has grown...and all I can say is after 8k posts...wow. (see link bellow) O_O

http://roosterteeth.com/forum/rwby/topic/3207371

It's pretty clear at this point we are pissed at Rooster Teeth...

-- WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS --

Okay you have been warned:

Lets do a retake on all the major death -- confirmed/unconfirmed -- of some well known hero's from multiple areas of science fiction that have happened in the last year or so.

1. Star Wars Rebels: Ahsoka Tano

2. Star Was Force Awakens: Han Solo

3. Lord of the Rings

4. The Hobbit (a lot of dwarfs died in the making of that film)

5. Avenger Age of Ultron: Quick Silver

6. World of Warcraft: Garrosh Hellscream (hero of the horde)

7. Red vs. Blue: Church

8. Star Wars Clone Wars: Echo, Hardcase, Thorn, Heavy, Keeli, etc.

There are many more; but the point is we have a problem and no one is taking a stand, and calling out those that are twisting the word "Hero". I see the well known series Game of Thorns by George R. R. Martin, infecting the fictional genres as a whole both in film and video games. It's depressing that people actually like seeing heroes die. I thought personally RWBY would be different, giving us a true fantasy that take our western folk lore and brings it into a new adaptation.

I have done mathematics about Pyrrha's death to try and prove her death impossible; was told magic and disowned. I tried comparing the binding of Juane and Pyrrha's aura as a Paladin "lay of hands" trait like in WoW; again disowned. Each time I suggest something practical and in line with our western fantasy people seem to screech in horror.

Maybe I am to "black and white" and reality is I don't agree with the death, or the idea of "killing off" a major "hero" without at least giving them a proper "victory or death" fight. Look at the horde for crying out loud, why are they so popular? Simple, they hold honor above justice, you prove yourself by actions and you win. Pyrrha deserved a warriors death, not a french execution. If a hero dies they should go out giving the all like every clone and Jedi in the Clone Wars. Heck even J. J. R. Tolkien gave us an awesome last minute, suicide, battle that won the day. Heroes are heroes because they sacrifice everything and are redeemed.

Now I am not perfect, I am only human, and therefore neither right nor wrong. Yet I tend to think -- and pray -- people don't want heroes to die. A good hero and villain combo will hold honor between both sides. Thus making them appear to be equals with different goals and aspiration. You don't strike an opponent while they are down, you throw them a sword, tell them to get up, spit the blood out of there month, and engage one last time.

They say leave it all on the field, leave it all on stage, and so leave it all on the battle ground where you opponent shall lay. If you feel the need, follow up with a good game (GG). :)

~Gearbox Hero

Now I will not be back on until Monday, so I look forward to all the criticism and feedback good/bad. Lastly, I am not a grammar nut; therefore, I apologize for any miss-spellings or sentence structure issues.

• TheSnowMage

TheSnowMage FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33206639 - 3 years ago

I sincerely doubt that anyone other than a major villain would enjoy seeing a hero die, but there is a difference between "enjoying" something and "appreciating" it. We appreciate seeing heroes die because it makes the threat to the other heroes seem more real, especially when the person who dies is one of the most able and competent people on their side; this raises the tension without causing any major non-psychological harm to the other heroes.

Now, I might be a bit of an outrider in this sort of thing, but I don't like to see heroes in my fiction. At least, not conventional heroes; I'll take Harry Dresden over Harry Potter any day. I'd much prefer seeing a battle between two villains, though. Granted, this isn't likely to happen in RWBY unless Adam and Neo start trying to kill each other, but I maintain hope.

As for the specific case regarding Pyrrha's death, there is a school of thought on this matter. "Either you die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Pyrrha is the sort who could have very easily snapped, especially with the amount of attachment she was showing to Jaune, who was infatuated with another. Even if she had survived long enough to see the end of the series, there would only be three options for her life ten years later (assuming she did not fall for someone else along the way, which I feel would be unlikely and out-of-character for her).

1) Married Jaune, and the two are very happy together.

2) Insane asylum or dead by suicide, because she can no longer handle the stress she's been put under since she was a child.

3) Missing or dead by another's hands, because she did not go quietly to the asylum when her mind broke. Jaune would also likely be dead, as would Weiss (assuming she's still the target of his affections), unless one of them managed to take her down first.

Again, I have a very dark mindset regarding heroism. I always try to look past it to the person beneath it and look at all of the ways they could become a villain, or an anti-hero at the very least. Take my comment with a grain of salt on that regard.

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33207003 - 3 years ago

Actually the goody goody two shoes are the twisted version of hero. Traditional hero like the greek one are asshole to a fault. Hell the oldest tale, the epic of Gilgamesh potray him as a hedonistic tyrant who take the virginity of every woman on their first married night on his kingdom. His entire quest are selfish desire to avoid the same fate that befall his friend=death.

Modern hero are paragon of moral and justice while the original definition of hero leaned toward jackass who has power and saved people as a side effect of their quest.

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33207005 - 3 years ago

Your statement about Game of Thrones "infecting" media got to me. I mean, the story has been around since the 90's, but only with the TV adaptation has it become well known and mainstream. Only really new stuff would be copying its style of killing important characters with an almost casual attitude. And none do it as well as GoT.

And in GoT, or ASOIAF, the true beauty of the story is that there are no heroes. Everyone is human, flawed and faulted in some way. It is by no means traditional fantasy. GRRM wanted to write a story that made people fall in love with the greatness of the characters, even with all their faults and flaws. I, for one, am a big fan of Jaime Lannister in the later parts of the series, even though he was utter scum at first, and it is for the same reason I am a fan of Blake in RWBY, even though Blake has always been shown to be a morally righteous person; I like redemption stories, and I like people fighting to achieve it, as it makes characters more multi-layered. If they've done things considered bad in the past, and are trying to do good now, what is their moral alignment? Are they good people for trying to atone, or do their actions make them inexcusable?

This idea is not something new to media, nor is the killing of characters considered heroes, GoT/ASOIAF just set the bar for the amount of characters that can die and still have the story go on.

RWBY, on the other hand, being inspired from fairy tale and legends, will probably follow a more classical route, even though it may be a darker route than what we thought. Although, this is to be expected; I mean, the main force of evil in the show are called "Grimm". The Grimm fairytales were not at all light hearted, they were dark and serious in tone, yet still something both young and old could enjoy. RWBY, from what I can see, is something that will probably play out a bit like Harry Potter; the tone may get darker as time goes on, the stakes may rise with each Volume, but as this happens, so do the characters grow and adapt. They change with time and develop as the audience does, particularly the younger audience, who will grow up with RWBY in their lives. The show isn't going to become a huge slaughterfest like some people think it will devolve in to. No, the show is about the great characters, it is a character driven story, after all. The cast is so big that they have so much development to work through before we start to become seriously attached to characters that so far have done little. The story will take time, yes, but that is the point. The show is not about "Which hero shall we kill this week to make people suffer?".

And just to add two things: I, for one, don't like the whole hero thing overly much. I mean, heroes that are the paragon of righteousness and all that aren't really likable because they try to hard to be...likable. I like it when the cliche hero gets slain, because they were, essentially, too good. A character that is flawed and blurs the line between good and bad, or one person equally capable of doing things both good and bad, one who can make mistakes, one who can be at fault, one who is slighted by the world but still strives to be good no matter what the world throws at them-these are the heroes I prefer. Even if they fail, which is something that can very well happen...

Secondly, I know it didn't happen recently at all, but I feel the greatest death of any sci-fi hero has to be Sanguinius. Curse Horus for his treachery. (That reference is so obscure it'll probably go over your head)

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33209596 - 3 years ago

I appreciate everyone's feedback and thank you for being respectful; along with not den-announcing me in the process -- which is a first --.

Now I don't want to make this post very long, so I will try and keep things in line and address the bigger issue on hand. I would like everyone to consider something; the reality is the word "HERO" is being miss used in all context. I will now state the definition from dictionary.com:

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.

4. Classical Mythology.

1. a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
    2. (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
    3. (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.

The word originates from Greek, Latin, and Middle English.

All good definitions, but doesn't really line up with any of the movies/shows -- especially RWBY -- we have mentioned other then Lord of the Rings and maybe -- BIG MAYBE -- the Star Wars Franchise, in some aspects.

The problem with RWBY is the word "Hero" is not a synonym for the word "Hunter" (with respect to both genders of the words). Curious, is it not? That is the shows secret weapon. What I realized between the end of season 3 and the creation of the Pyrrha forums, was right under our noses. The created a new protagonist archetype. That a hunter is new breed of hero and comes with its own characteristics.

Well...not exactly, lets go way back to the first people to really mainstream the paragon of "Hero". My fellow forum posters/readers, I give you World of Warcraft and Dungeon and Dragon. For the longest time a hero was a knight in shining armory, who slayed a dragon guarding a princes (usually in a tower), and got the girl (i.e. the princess). Yes this was the bases of most "fantasy" lore; the word hero changes between genre in terms of definition but not in terms of the actual word. If we want be accurate we should use the word "adventurer".

Popular stores with "Heroes" (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Indian Jones, etc.) all had heroes that won something in the end. Hell even Deadpool in his movie had an awesome ending and was clearly accepted even if not comic book accurate.

What heroes could be anything; a girl, money, treasure, or even a legacy (King Arther? Fiction character made Non-Ficition.) What bothered me about Pyrrha's death is she didn't get her love, didn't get a legacy, and basically got the f-u of the middle finger in fates hand. Destiny in my personal opinion, is one of the biggest cop outs in human history. You have control of your fate, and you can decide weather you live to see another day, or better yet fight another day. A true hero will live to fight another day, and if you don't believe me look the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars.

However, if you are big on the sacrifice deal here is a real world example. Take a good long look at the US military, we a have tomb dedicated for those we could never identify or recover from a battle.Those fallen warrior's are treated with respect and honor because they gave there lives for ours. Now that sound very patriotic indeed, but its true.

Now I do apologize for the real world reference but its pretty much the best black and white example you can get. However, if you are still unconvinced I have one more reference. That is HALO, a series that inspired a generation and give new meaning to a Spartan. That to me is the best example of Heroes and Heroism.

That said, I would have loved to see this in place of Pyrrha's death and the fight scene at the end of season 3, and TheSnowMage you might appreciate this a bit judging by your alternate ideas:

Juane, Pyrrha, and there team along with team RWBY are running to an extraction point in the kingdom. They only a few meters away when the notice hordes of Grim are chasing them down with Cinder and Co behind them. Juane and Pyrrha both stop and look back at the on coming enemies; while the rest of team RWBY and JNPR keep running. The ship is only a few meters away maybe half a kilometer at best, both teams stop and look back at the two of them standing side by side; backs to the group. Without saying a word Juane draws his sword and shield and turns to look at Pyrrha; without out looking back she removes her circlet and lets down her hair then draws her weapons as well (this is similar to the Spartans as they remove there helmets in the Halo franchise). Juane then turns to the rwby and Co. without saying anything they understand, this is there last fight. The two teams continue to the ship as the two charge into the brink, one last time.

This might also help state my stance on hero's and what it means to be a hero. My inspiration for the piece above comes from Lord of the Rings The Battle at Black Gate. Specifically at time 5:50 in the Video bellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjbj5stgwU

• Mikael2197

Mikael2197

#33209691 - 3 years ago

In reply to TheSnowMage

That quote...what was it from? I know I've heard it before.

As for her death, from an author's perspective, the method was predictable with knowledge of who she was based off of, and the manner of her death, thus far, has been perfect for generating the plot and room for development in the other characters that was necessary to the series.

Sometimes characters you like die. You get over it. Not even referring to just this incident, yet this is how you know Pyrrha was such a good character. The emotional explosion from fans over her intended death. (My fanfic follows a different storyline, but that is a fanfic).

The way she died...was well portrayed, and watching it hurt...because it was supposed to.

She was a well-liked character, and now, has achieved immortality, as she lives on in the hearts and minds of those who grew around her, and because of her.

This doesn't mean I like that it was done any more than the rest of you, all that I mean here...is that her death was necessary to further develop the other characters. On another topic though, pairings. In Pyrrha's wake who should fill that void for Jaune?

Personally, I suspect it will be Ruby, as Weiss has expressed interest in Neptune, and he no doubt will start to feel the same about her, and Yang is too out-there to be a truly compatible match for Jaune.

Now...to address the actual topic, since the prerequisite knowledge and insight has been addressed.

Pyrrha IS a hero, and while her death may appear in vain and a terrible decision from some perspectives, she lived, and died, as a hero. She lived and died following her path, overcoming her doubts about her path, and remained accountable to her path...to the end.

She has burned so brightly that she has forever scorched her name into our hearts and minds (both her fans, and those in the show around her).

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33209711 - 3 years ago

In reply to Mikael2197

It makes sense...however I was more comfortable with Lt. Hughes's death in Brotherhood then in FMA. Mainly because Mustang was smart and ballzie enough to actually kill people that killed his friends. I just don't see Jaune being able to take on Cinder one-on-one; however, I have explored the idea of his semblance being a cookie cutter copy of a paladin. Paladins do have one special ability called "redemption", if he where to rez her for the fight I would then have a bit more confidence in his ability to take her down.

This also leads me back to my reason for mention Jedi in a earlier post. Most Jedi die before becoming succumbed by the dark side. However, the theory works in reverse for the Sith as well. The eventually become so in-raged they lose the concentration. This is similar in all aspects of a fight and your emotions are the strongest weapon in your overall success. I would say that her drive was to see Juane again, but in the entire fight she seemed off, not because of kissing Juane but something...else. If I was Yoda I could probably figure it out in a heartbeat (no pun intended).

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33209747 - 3 years ago

In reply to Gearboxhero

Huntsman is not a hero. Pyrrha may be a heroic person but Huntsman as a whole is not. They are mercenary. It was already addressed in vol 2 no matter what they want their job come first.

Ruby is the main character and also the hero. Pyrrha is the side character.

Also, Pyrrha and the rest of team JNPR are based on heroes who dies horribly without happy ending. So it's not really surprising. And greek tale rarely end in happy ending. Hercules die of poisoning, Orpheus look back at the last moment and his wife disappeared in front of his eyes etc.

• Mikael2197

Mikael2197

#33209804 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Exactly. Her death happened exactly as it did to the hero she was based off of. (Achilles)

As for her coming back, I can see a different way that matches the Paladin concept you've mentioned. She is revived through darker energies and is essentially a humanoid grim, and forced to fight against her former team-mates, only to be redeemed by her former team mates.

Its an age-old tale after all...Love conquers all, and who, did Pyrrha love?

Just some food for thought

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33209914 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

In reply to Gearboxhero

Huntsman is not a hero. Pyrrha may be a heroic person but Huntsman as a whole is not. They are mercenary. It was already addressed in vol 2 no matter what they want their job come first.

Ruby is the main character and also the hero. Pyrrha is the side character.

Also, Pyrrha and the rest of team JNPR are based on heroes who dies horribly without happy ending. So it's not really surprising. And greek tale rarely end in happy ending. Hercules die of poisoning, Orpheus look back at the last moment and his wife disappeared in front of his eyes etc.

Okay and I would now like to bring in the most bad ass hunters in all of sci-fye. MANDALORIANS!!!! There ideology is the very essence of honor and respect in the ring of combat. However, the Mandalorians where more based on native American tribal culture with a dash of spartan Darwinism.

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33209917 - 3 years ago

In reply to Mikael2197

In reply to salman332

Exactly. Her death happened exactly as it did to the hero she was based off of. (Achilles)

As for her coming back, I can see a different way that matches the Paladin concept you've mentioned. She is revived through darker energies and is essentially a humanoid grim, and forced to fight against her former team-mates, only to be redeemed by her former team mates.

Its an age-old tale after all...Love conquers all, and who, did Pyrrha love?

Just some food for thought

I'm sorry but the Achillies thing was more like a slap in the face to every Thespian in the acting world. Probably made every single screen writer turn over in there graves. Cliche beyond belief....also she would have died on the spot if that was the case.

But...that is just my opinion.

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33210006 - 3 years ago

In reply to Mikael2197

Exactly, who?

She did not love Jaune. She has a Crush on him. It's a teenager romance.

She turned to ash, how could she come back? And that would cheapen her death. Penny could at least be rebuild, a revival of the death is far to out of context of RWBY. This isn't a shonen manga.

And once again I said, Jaune and Pyrrha is not the main character. They are the side character, love conquer all only apply to the protagonist.

Remember old fairy tale always end in tragedy. The little red riding hood get eaten by the wolf, that matchstick girl die in her in the coldness of the night, the little mermaid died dancing to the man of the surface as her leg bleeds.

And once again, Pyrrha is not the focus of the story, it's team RWBY and how they grow up.

They need to face their inner demon first.

Ruby: You can't everyone

Weiss: You have once again caged by your father.

Blake: The past that you ran away from have caught up to you.

Yang: Once again you are all alone.

Pyrrha death function as wake up call to Both Ruby and Jaune but Mostly Ruby.

A tale without lose is a tale not worth hearing.

Even Naruto the most 'idealistic' shonen manga with an unambigious happy handing suffer many.

His friend die for him when he say he protect everyone. The villain mock him for it and even he acknowledge it yet he still want to save everyone.

By the end of the series he already lose his godfather, his friend, his parents, and 50000 troops. Naruto is an unambgiously heroic person where four year old child were told to kill each other. His many loss made him grow while still keep his idealistic nature.

That is the purpose of Pyrrha death to Ruby. It isn't about Jaune it's about Ruby and her ideal alongside endless optimist.

Also, Jaune and Pyrrha relationship isn't as pure as the other though. Jaune use Pyrrha asba crutch becausd he can't believe in himself while Pyrrha is no different as she want 'true' and 'honest' friend and Jaune is ironically a liar who enter beacon with fake transkrip and no training. Their relationship is not healthy.

And Jaune. He is by no mean hero material. His character arc that is Jaunedice is about him accepting that he is side character comic relief.

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33210044 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Uh...Jaune is absolutely hero material, possibly even a great leader in the making as well. If anything, his Volume 1 character arc PROVED that when he saved Cardin from the Ursa Major. Going up against adverse odds to save summon who torments you when you could just as easily let him die? That is heroic, and furthermore noble. What I see in Jaune is something of the unseen hero. He will always do what is right, or just, he will probably rarely be credited or recognised for it (In show).

And all in all, Pyrrha's death was intended for Ruby to witness. Ruby, while familiar with loss (Her mother), she has never seen it herself. It was also for the audience to see that this is indeed a dangerous world, and people do indeed die. For the first two volumes, there was barely anything worthy of being seen as "threatening", since everyone was encased in miles of plot armour and the threats that did exist could never do anything when the heroes overcame them with ease.

The show needs something to actually make us nervous about the possible outcome of an encounter, rather than just simply see how the heroes beat the villains this time round...

Also, how the hell is Jaune and Pyrrha's relationship not healthy? Two people who grew to respect and admire each other for who they were as a person, what they stood for and what they believed in? Seems like the basis of a healthy relationship to me.

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33210073 - 3 years ago

In reply to Asdrubael

Great leaders? Not really. He has the heart in the right place and he progressed so for someone who just get his aura unlocked. But just as Vol 3 Episode 2 Proved, he can't get his team to listen to him, and even have an argument in the middle of battle. Jaune has his heart in the right place, sadly he has no physical ability to back it up.

Even in the fight against the first deathstalker, he only call Pyrrha name and Pyrrha already know how to act and so is Nora.

Now that I think about it, that kind of kindset is a must for a huntsman as when you look at Roman dead the reason the griffon instantly swallowed him up is because he panicked so much at losing Neo and that emotion attract Grimm. So yeah Jaune would made a great Huntsman. But a leader? He can't even get his team to listen to him.

Agreed with your point about Pyrrha death. Remnant is such a deathworld that a village vanished overnight is not uncommon but because the focused are inside the kingdom it doesn't show much.

It's actually pretty unhealty if you think about it. Jaune believe in Pyrrha so much that he can't believe in himself. And Pyrrha did not fully believe in him or his ability as proven by her shoving him into the locker. Jaune basically using Pyrrha as a crutch.

It's actually pretty similiar to Kamina and Simon relationship but without Kamina saying his most famous line "listen Simon, don't believe in me who believe in you nor in you that believe in me but believe in yourself that you believe in."

The difference is Pyrrha can't say that line to him now.

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33210143 - 3 years ago

I only read the OP and skimmed the rest but hear me out.

I agree with how V3 ended because of how it involved my emotions. Some of the greatest stories I have read have also had the greatest losses. While I wish Pyrrha was still alive, losing her made me actually feel the story, if that makes sense, and is why I love RWBY so much.

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33210226 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

In reply to Mikael2197

Exactly, who?

She did not love Jaune. She has a Crush on him. It's a teenager romance.
    She turned to ash, how could she come back? And that would cheapen her death. Penny could at least be rebuild, a revival of the death is far to out

Um....the ash was something that struck me as a Phoenix reference. From the ashes of defeat rises a victory, and something new and beautiful.

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33210382 - 3 years ago

In reply to Gearboxhero

.....that kinda stretching it.

Even RT say Pyrrha and Roman death is permanent. Only Penny is the one unconfirmed IIRC.

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33210664 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Where did they confirm her death? I have not seen such statements at all. Nor where they answered in the Afterbuzz videocast.

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33210729 - 3 years ago

In reply to Gearboxhero

I don't remember which but I think it's one of the RTX interview or something.

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33210919 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Not doubting you but unless you have the link, I won't believe it sorry. :(

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33211022 - 3 years ago

In reply to Gearboxhero

Kay, just that I think they won't bring Pyrrha back that easily. Her death would lose all of it's meaning if it do.

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33211090 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Oh I don't think that at all. I wouldn't expect to see a revive until...maybe volume 6 at the earliest!

• blueishblue

blueishblue

#33211245 - 3 years ago

In reply to Gearboxhero

Nah, It probably not until vol 10. They still need to milked the cash from Pyrrha merchandise after all.:P

Then I hope they won't bring anymore drama if a character die again then they do it without drama like dragon ball did. Like: Oh well, xxx is death, prepare the ressurection ritual.

• Gearboxhero

Gearboxhero

#33211332 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Right on the money dude.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33211847 - 3 years ago

In reply to salman332

Yeah, they've actually side-stepped confirming Pyrrha's death, even if it's temporary. And even then, there's ALWAYS the possibility of them lying.

"Jaune basically using Pyrrha as a crutch."

And didn't CHIBI episode 2 poke fun at THAT one....

"since everyone was encased in miles of plot armour"

And team RWBY still IS, if the sheer amount of times their members had to be bailed out of things (Yang stands out obscenely since Adam WOULD have killed her), yet the FIRST time a JNPR member is at serious risk....well, since they ARE part of RWBY's Plot Armor....

Funny thing is, the original Dragonballs were actually an example of a GOOD tool of resurrection due to its many limitations, the "one revival per person" being the most prominent. That one's why they had the Namek arc at all. Now, the SECOND set of Dragonballs that they commissioned Dende for during the Cell Saga was a bad example because they deliberately removed the above restriction during creation. THAT'S when death truly became cheap in DBZ.

As far as Pyrrha being a hero....maybe we should ask those who were watching the tournament via broadcast and see the responses we get....that is, if they even know that she's dead. And even then, that's something I expect to be a plot point: exactly HOW word of her death spreads.