Forums > RWBY

Technology in Remnant

Posts (534)

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33226199 - 3 years ago

I've been wondering about this for a while, and I wonder how this is going to play out. How sophisticated is the technology in Remnant? They've engineered massive weapons that shrink down to manageable sizes, made robots with souls, and have made machines capable of transferring something that is otherwise metaphysical. Yet, they still can't get a communication satellite into orbit.

So, what are your thoughts? How far do you think their technology has gone? What do you think they have, and what do you think they don't have?

• DiMono

DiMono FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold It's Back Baby!

#33226573 - 3 years ago

They say at some point that all technology is powered by Dust, and they implied that Dust only has that property on the world itself. That leads me to believe that Dust is reacting to the magnetic field of the planet, and without that, it's just a normal crystal. That would also mean that their technology is just as prone to failure by magnet as ours is, maybe even moreso. As long as they're relying upon Dust as their power source, they're going to be stuck on their own planet. They're more advanced than we are here, but they're incidentally hamstrung by how their tech works.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33226647 - 3 years ago

Cool. I'm wondering if they might have any non-Dust technology, though. Maybe Atlas' warships have quantum computers to control all of those robots?

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33226993 - 3 years ago

In reply to DiMono

When was it stated all technology relies on Dust? I don't recall this at all.

I figure their tech varies between 20th century, modern day, and what we'll see in the following century. At least when it comes to space they've yet to launch an object out of the atmosphere, so no developments on that front.

• DiMono

DiMono FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold It's Back Baby!

#33227060 - 3 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

I recall one of the one-off videos saying they use it as a power source. Same one where they say they can't launch things out of the atmosphere.

• DiMono

#33227088 - 3 years ago

In reply to MEK1724

They extend beyond the atmosphere, but they are significantly weaker the further you get from the surface. It's reasonable to suppose that there is a minimum threshold of field strength required to power Dust that is no longer met at some point.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33227139 - 3 years ago

In reply to DiMono

That just said Dust fueled rockets can't leave the atmosphere. I can't remember if they said its used as an energy source, but we here on earth have coal, oil, nuclear, wind, water, solar and geothermal energy to power our world.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33227209 - 3 years ago

I would love to see someone have that wing pack the Falcon uses in the Marvel movies

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33227358 - 3 years ago

I think Remnant basically has it's own versions of our technology that focuses around dust. Of course there's magical and other elements in their world like dust not working outside the atmosphere. *me thinks the dust has a magical of perhaps is a product of the planet itself*

I do think it's interesting in some ways since humanity isn't as far spread there or how things like their communication system relies on each kingdom.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33228086 - 3 years ago

Food for thought.

How would YOU use Dust here on Earth?

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33228090 - 3 years ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Demolition?

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33228103 - 3 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

In Physics of the Impossible by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, he talked about force fields. In Star Trek, the force fields only seem to isolate the ship from outer space and have no other applications. However, Michio discussed more urbane applications- with proper alterations, force fields could be used to erect entire cities in the deserts, immediately spawn bridges over large and dangerous chasms, among other such things.

• -Derek-

-Derek-

#33228106 - 3 years ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Tbh I feel Remnant is an example of how we would use dust on earth.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33228108 - 3 years ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Don't they have shields that deflect enemy fire in Star Trek?

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33228177 - 3 years ago

I've been watching the new Voltron series on Netflix, which is badass by the way(has the same animation as The Last Airbender), and it makes my wonder if they have something like that hidden away on Remnant

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33228183 - 3 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

Yeah, they deflect enemy fire because they're fields of energy that behave like a solid membrane. Therefore, a force field may be used for the other listed applications.

What I was trying to ask of you guys was: Based on what we know about how Dust works, how else might we use it here? (Sorry for not clarifying. We definitely got some good answers, but I think we can delve deeper).

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33228186 - 3 years ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Well I suppose earth dust could be used for terraforming.

• Drake_The_Gunman

Drake_The_Gunman

#33229529 - 3 years ago

Something that bugged me ever since I saw the WoR episode on Dust. Since it stated that the special properties of dust are activated by the Aura of humans and faunus, how is most of the tech reliant on Dust activated? If you need Aura to get Dust to do shit, does that mean all those fancy airships and robots need to be activated that way?

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33229565 - 3 years ago

In reply to Drake_The_Gunman

Maybe quantum mechanics could explain it. Take the airships for example. By having humans on board, maybe the energy of their auras radiate from their bodies, creating waves of energy that can perform what's known as quantum tunneling. When these waves hit the Dust, they form into subatomic particles (probably Bosons), which destabilize the structure of the Dust, causing it to react.

Long story short, human proximity probably sparks and sustains the reaction.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33229567 - 3 years ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

So no remote applications of Dust then?

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33229570 - 3 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

Actually, it could be possible. After all, Penny was a robot with (some people speculate) a synthetic soul, generating synthetic aura. By having a system like that, remote applications may work. It would still be odd to have a drone with feelings, though.

• pwner5012

pwner5012

#33231788 - 3 years ago

A question I have is where Ozpin is getting the power for his aura-transference device. What kind of power generation would be needed for that thing?

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33231792 - 3 years ago

In reply to pwner5012

Probably Dust power, unless they have nuclear fusion technology with Dust as a transference medium. After all, nuclear reactions unleash 100 million times the power of chemical bonds, so maybe that's how much power they needed.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33233032 - 3 years ago

Here's something I've been meaning to ask: is it possible that Remnant has metamaterials? For example, carbon nanotubes and graphene?

• pwner5012

pwner5012

#33233064 - 3 years ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Would whatever Adam's sword is made of count? It went straight through aura.