Forums > RWBY

RWBY ships

Posts (10221)

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33740335 - 2 months ago

In reply to BakedBrain

Not what I meant, but I see your point

• SaberWulf

SaberWulf

#33742750 - 1 month ago

In reply to Leonthekillr

"I don't ship Blacksun"

Spent a good later half of the article justifying it and insulting the other side. Interesting. 

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33742774 - 1 month ago

Ship anything you like, just when getting on canon ground, remember:

* It is highly unlikely that the authors will do exhaustive shipping of all characters, some characters will get nothing shipwise

* Ships are often mutually exclusive, so if something becomes canon, the alternatives will bite the dust. Each confirmed ship will lock down at least two characters

* Them authors decide what becomes canon and in my opinion they have been fair and do not deliver inconclusive hints, so there is enough time to evacuate (canon) ghostships. Do not cheat yourself.

* When you start thinking about killing off characters to get your ship, then you are actually already a canon shipper of the other ship, because you do not see a peaceful way of getting yours.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33742798 - 1 month ago

According to the opening, Ren and Nora will become MUCH closer this season

• RedStrikeBunny

RedStrikeBunny FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33742820 - 1 month ago

http://nahoqo.tumblr.com/image...

• sssnlove

sssnlove

#33742823 - 1 month ago

In reply to Leonthekillr

*stands up and claps* oh my god yes, that post is spot on with everything, especially about the double standard in this fandom 

• DekZek

DekZek

#33742840 - 1 month ago

Since I know most people often defend ships because they personally like them, regardless of how likely they are, let me ask a question.

What ships do you think are (based on the writing/character interactions) going to happen in Canon, and how does that align/not align with the ships you promote. Completely remove your feelings from the situation, what do you think is probable.

P.S. This is not counting Crack Ships.

My ships:

Ruby and Oscar (depends on how they handle Oscar/Ozpin), Jaune with Weiss OR Pyrrha (depends on how they handle resurrection), Blake and Sun (prepares bunker), Ilia and Yang (Honestly, I just don't want Ilia to be alone, and Yang is the best fit I can find), Ren and Nora (this is pretty much confirmed In Canon, so not much to say here). I don't really have any ships beyond that, although I'm pretty convinced of a few other ships in Canon (not going to say though unless you ask).

How my ships align with canon/probable canon (doesn't state who my ships are):

For me, my personal ships mostly line up with what I feel is likely to happen in Canon. I do have two and a half ships that I am unsure of, but I should know either way about one of them by the end of Season 6, based on what I've seen/heard.

• Feywald

Feywald FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33742845 - 1 month ago

And i am back. 

So did anyone else find it odd that Neptune had no interaction with Weiss? He chose to hit on Illa instead of seeing Weiss off. Has Titanic sunk? or are the writers doubling down on Neptune trying (and failing) to hit on every female character.

• Bumblebee4life

Bumblebee4life

#33742851 - 1 month ago

In reply to sssnlove

Shipping can drive people to do awful things

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33742859 - 1 month ago

In reply to DekZek

You are doing exhaustive shipping, there is no one left of the extended core team and yet you say that you have even more in your fleet, so I ask ...

I do not believe that there will be much progress on ships in season 6, as ship progress is glacial in any series. So there will probably some keel laying, but the three running ships are all stalled.

Blacksun has too much progress so there is not much storytelling before conclusion - separation

Renora has a potential to just flip from friendship to romance, if one of them declares and the other one agrees they will warp right through, requires very creative writing to cram a credible conflict in this path.

Snowbird is double blocked on both ends and it generates most entertainment value when keeping it in this stage.

Ilya for now is stranded on a dry spot with the all male SSSN as her only known companions. And she was not shown interacting with any of the potentially free three characters from the extended team. So if she gets anywhere this will be a really keelish something.

Whiteknight currently has no progress at all, Weiss is unlocked, but Jaune first has to get over Pyrrha. But it looks like the authors are clearing the dock.

By precedence trying to leave harbour is very dangerous.

And I do really like those naval analogies.

• DekZek

DekZek

#33742870 - 1 month ago

So, ships that I think are Implied in Canon but aren't ships I personally support.

I'm fairly sure Emerald has at least somewhat of a Crush on Cinder, although it definitely isn't reciprocated and Cinder just used it to emotionally manipulate Emerald into working for Salem. If Emerald gets a redemption arc, I would be totally on board with shipping her and Ilia.

Despite that, I have a slight preference for Ilia/Yang if for no other reason than it being a subversion of Bumblebee, but one that actually makes some sense narrative-wise (I said some, not a lot).

Another ship that I'm pretty sure is implied to exist is Neo and Roman. Neo seems absolutely enamored with him, so it just makes sense to me.

Also, just for clarification, by Snowbird do you mean Ruby/Oscar? The only ships I know of by their ship name are Bumblebee and Black Sun, and I inferred the rest of them, but I'm not sure about this one.

• Dinobot01

#33742876 - 1 month ago

My ships:

1. White Knight (because I love the story of the goofy village boy and the princess, but Jaune could be the handsome prince in commoner clothing. Plus, Jaune seems like everything Weiss needs in a guy. Of course, I'd like Jaune to have some closure on Pyrrha first)

2. Black Sun (It has progressed MUCH more than Bumblebee. Blake seems to almost feel the same way that Sun does. Plus, she gave Sun his first kiss)

3. I don't know what we call Ruby and Oscar, but I like that one

4. Renora is all but confirmed. Plus, according to the opening, the two of them will get much closer this season

In reply to DekZek

No. Snowbird is for Qrow and Winter

• Wits

Wits FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33742877 - 1 month ago

In reply to DekZek

I think SnowBird is Qrow / Winter

• Dinobot01

#33742880 - 1 month ago

In reply to Wits

it IS Qrow and Winter

• BakedBrain

#33742976 - 1 month ago

I get the impression that the BB faction is getting bombed without prior provocation (or at least no recent prior provocation). I have to admit that I also took a cheap shot in a thread with months of inaction.

So maybe we should scale back on spitefulness.

• BakedBrain

#33742977 - 1 month ago

In reply to DekZek

How did you come up with Rose garden (Ruby x Oscar), just by exhaustion, because they were the only ones left?

And yes I meant Qrow x Winter with Snowbird

• DekZek

DekZek

#33742984 - 1 month ago

If I had to explain my thinking, I would say because I see both of them as still childlike in personality. Obviously this only applies to Oscar and not Ozpin, hence why I am holding off on definitively supporting that Ship until we see what happens to the Ozpin side of him. 

If anything of mine was because of exhaustion, it would be Ilia/Yang.

• BakedBrain

#33743019 - 1 month ago

Now I am spilling my own special interest on you. Snowbird a psychoship consisting of two psycho-characters, but and that is the point providing an enormous entertainment value in the areas of action and humour at the expense of first hand romance.

There is a movie which comes close to my interpretation of snowbird, only that snowbirders sabotage their ship from both ends. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Bisbetico_Domato, This is an old Italian film from 1980.

And now I will try to prove that it is canon by using only RWBY 3/3 and 3/4. This is also the only episode in which they interact.

(0) They are both torn characters who are fiercely independent. She had to fight her father to gain her independence. He has this bad luck semblance and is working as a one man scout-squad.

(1) They have an exclusively shared screen in the intro - in a confrontational stance.

(2) At the start of 3/3 Winter roughs up her little sister verbally and physically. Winter insults Weiss multiple times, slaps and interrupts while running on arrogant mode. There are very few slips into friendliness. Normally you would expect sisters to hug each other when they reunite after a long time.

Conclusion: Winter is suppressing her urge to be friendly with her sister by being obnoxious, because she does not want to show "feelings" and damage her self-image of cool professional, especially not in public. She behaves more civilized in 3/4 when in private with Weiss. And she states, that it is important not to give in to "them feelings"

(3) When Qrow appears, he is not only technically drunk, but also effectively (slurring, hanging on Weiss, stumbling)

(4) He gets Weiss's attention by damaging Atlas military property, then he addresses her personally three times, and aftertwards starts drifting around, jumping through subjects

Shipfriendly interpretation: He wants interaction, but does not know how, like a schoolboy in love.

(5) When she offers an interaction (fighting) he turns effectively sober (does he have detox) immediately. What follows is not drunken fighting on his side. And he delivers enough smiling winking, eyeflashing, beckoning to start at least three ships.

(6) He has an absolutely insane emotional pull on her (quite literally). An offer of peace with a friendly connotation visibly drives her two more gears up, although having already turned from cool professional to ballista bolt. Key question is obviously, if the displayed emotion is positive or negative.

Assumption from (2)

Winter really insulted her little sister in order to suppress the display of positive feelings.

Then assume that Winter's suppression is proportionate to the perceived threat of "feelings" and personality in general (indepence).

Extrapolate to Winter getting a family vision when seeing a man. She would run amok in this scenario, which she did.

Proof of this theory would be behaving in this way only towards Weiss and Qrow while interacting normally with other people.

Assuming that they have this kind of ship, my prediction about progress would be.

(1) At least two more encounters of the type 3/3 (I would like that), sabotaging any real remotely friendly connotation.

(2) Some or all other characters notice the pattern and ship them (like Ozpin in Chibi). They will be the last to know (becoming the butt of jokes, more fun for the audience).

(3) If this ship is to be concluded, another character has to tip off one of them (only the first step to conclusion)

(4) Then the ship turns into the single sided block variant (as in the linked movie)

(5) Depending on the patience of the authors this variant will be run. One of them going after the other in a romantic way, the  other blocking viciously (more gags)

(6) Traditionally this ship is concluded when the side running romantic gives up. The blocker will then feel very deep loss but still has to be tipped off by (another) outsider to see the way, 

Super long run

• RedStrikeBunny

RedStrikeBunny FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33743041 - 1 month ago

tumblr_pgzqs1J0sI1vdu2ueo1_500.png

• DekZek

DekZek

#33743067 - 1 month ago

In reply to RedStrikeBunny

This is why I ship them. Look how cute they are together.

• sssnlove

sssnlove

#33743072 - 1 month ago

rosegarden is cute and i'd find it adorable if oscar ended up developing a crush on ruby, but i hope it just stays like that and remains one-sided 

• BakedBrain

#33743113 - 1 month ago

In reply to sssnlove

So you drop Oscar 20 miles inland ...

• SaberWulf

SaberWulf

#33743133 - 1 month ago