Forums > RWBY

Lie Ren Appreciation Thread

Posts (15)

• RexFrost

RexFrost FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold The King of Cool

#33286609 - 2 years ago

lotus_boy_by_lollyst-d6jm20a.png

Greetings, fellow RWBY fans! This thread is dedicated to the appreciation of everyone's favorite Master of Pancakes, Lie Ren. Feel free to share your thoughts & your favorite quotes & images featuring Team JNPR's very own Endurer of Nora's Affections. Just remember to keep it civil here, folks. No hating allowed. Otherwise, Ren will make your head explode with just one palm strike.

As always, let the appreciation begin!

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33435154 - 2 years ago

This chiseled ball of skill is a joy to watch. He's such a complete compliment to every situation and relationship he's in.

I physically (yes literally) relax every time he's on screen. I see Ren, and POOF,.. crazy goes calm in the blink of an eye.

I like that we're only seeing hints and silent undertows of his life goals. It's as if he accepts his role to protect all Humanity and Fauna in earnest, yet what he has to accomplish personally seems so much more important than his present obligation.

Excited to see more of him.

• RexFrost

RexFrost FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold The King of Cool

#33438058 - 2 years ago

In reply to PhantomAC

Ren's definitely the most "chill" of all the characters in RWBY. He works well as a straight man to someone as zany & peppy as Nora. That said, it was good to see Ren show more emotion during Volume 4. He definitely showed us that even someone as calm & collected as himself can get saddened & frustrated by senseless destruction & chaos. I look forward to seeing more of his & Nora's backstory later in the series.

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33439433 - 2 years ago

In reply to RexFrost

Me too, been a long time coming.

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33439558 - 2 years ago

I feel like we've barely even scratched the surface of his true capabilities. We need a good solid fight scene where we can see Ren truly go to work and not appear in the background.

The only time we've seen him truly come into his own was the King Taijitu fight and the Deathstalker fight. In both circumstances he displays remarkable agility and grace that hints at his true combat prowess. He has no qualm about getting up close and personal and seems to prefer fighting right on top of his enemies. He literally rode the King Tajitu while shooting it as well as grapple the Deathstalkers tail. 

And that was WAY back in Volume 1. What can he do now after all that time in Beacon and all the time in the world? After all, the main characters aren't the only ones to have improved so I dearly hope that the real reason that him and Nora split off from RJ in the most recent episode is to set them up for a fight scene where they star.

Also eager to learn more about Ren's motivations, his past, his parents, how he met Nora and what he thinks of her. And, if we must mention it, I think that Renora is unquestionably the strongest ship in the show right now. 

I hope Episode 10 brings me more of Ren. He needs to have more screen time. He's needed it since Volume 1. 

• RexFrost

#33439996 - 2 years ago

In reply to Asdrubael

More than anything, I would like to see what Ren's Semblance is. In RWBY: Grimm Eclipse, Ren appears to have some kind of Teleportation ability. Could teleporting be his Semblance? Is he basically the RWBY version of Nightcrawler from the X-Men? It's possible, I'd say.

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33440326 - 2 years ago

In reply to RexFrost

Although is that teleportation or simply Ren being good with Aura? 

Remember that the only other people who have demonstrated being able to use a shield-like effect to block bullets are Cinder and Amber. The only other person whose used Aura to explode something is Fox, a second year.

I believe Ren is simply the most well developed in terms of Aura use so rather than teleportation it could just be that he uses his Aura to flash step like the higher tier hunters can.

• PhantomAC

#33442393 - 2 years ago

In reply to Asdrubael

In reply to RexFrost

Maybe. And I'm definitely bending more to Asdrubael's way of though here, yet, disagreeing with one aspect, I believe we HAVE seen Ren's semblance, but it's hidden in plain site.

Ren's holding true to the "In all, remain calm" teachings of Bruce Lee. In THAT sense,.. were sniffing around for a clue that smells like sunflowers. It's right in our face,.. but we haven't dialed it in yet.

• Asdrubael

#33443906 - 2 years ago

In reply to PhantomAC

If anything, based on what we've seen, his Semblance could just be some extra-sensory or super-sensory power.

But since Aura apparently can do that as well, its hard to say whats something only Ren does that ISN'T just his Aura.

Hence why Ep 10 has to include a fight scene where its just him and Nora. We need to see him do something that no one else has...

• PhantomAC

#33443952 - 2 years ago

In reply to Asdrubael

Which is why I believe Ren and Jaune are already mounted for final teaser semblance reveals in S5.

• RexFrost

#33561574 - 2 years ago

Lie Ren, Japanese style!

tumblr_oihop9Zw3f1v51a66o1_1280.png

https://sumiwow.tumblr.com/pos...

• PhantomAC

#33562637 - 2 years ago

Whoever has painted these paintings (Lie & every character RexFrost has posted to.) has REALLY captured the individuality! SOOO good!!!

• RexFrost

#33563019 - 2 years ago

In reply to PhantomAC

If you like that, I encourage you to visit the artist's Tumblr page. The link should be with the above image, so feel free to check it out. There's more great artwork to be found.

• PhantomAC

#33564414 - 2 years ago

In reply to RexFrost Thank you, I will! >https://sumiwow.tumblr.com/pos... right?

• RexFrost

#33565777 - 2 years ago

In reply to PhantomAC

Pretty much, yeah.

thumbsup