Forums > RWBY

Student population of Beacon

Posts (4)

• Marky_Mark_on_Fire

Marky_Mark_on_Fire

#33295465 - 1 year ago

So this has been bothering me for a while: exactly how big is Beacon? And the other academies for that matter?

My thoughts so far: in the initiation sequence, there are 20 relics in the temple.  That would seem to indicate that there are 40 students in them RWBY's class.  However, during Ozpin's welcome to Beacon spech, I counted more than 80 characters (the fact that most of them were silhouette's made.it a bit hard to be exact).  I doubt that the washout rate is that high, though I suppose some.of thoseight have been parents.  And finally, there are only 16 people on the cliff at the beginning of the initiation.

So my best guess is somewhere between 64 and 160 students for all of Beacon.  Anyone have a more accurate number?

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33295549 - 1 year ago

The whole campus seems to be the size of an average college campus so I assume it has a similar population. As for the initiation, it makes sense that they would test small groups of students at a time.

• erigalus

erigalus FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33295669 - 1 year ago

Yup. You have to take into account that they stated that all the students would be monitored during the initiation, and Beacon has only limited personnel, adding to the possibility that they've been sent in in waves.

We could take the tournament into account to get an idea of it, as well. In the finale, there were 8 participants lined up: Yang, Sun, Mercury, Penny, Pyrrha and 3 others who were solely created to fill the blanks. Meaning that in the doubles round, there were 16 teams participating, and the team round had 32. So, if it's divided up equally, every kingdom (and therefore every academy) had 8 teams participating. Well, that doesn't help MUCH, because that'd mean that on average there'd be 2 participating teams per grade who'd qualify (Which is interesting, because there were AT LEAST 3 teams participating from Beacon's 1st grade: CRDL, RWBY and JNPR. Going by this, most teams of the higher grades shouldn't be that impressive, if even Cardin's team was more qualified than they were).

Like I said, it doesn't help much, but is an interesting statistic, nevertheless. ^^

• erigalus

erigalus FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33298975 - 1 year ago

Another approach:
    In Volume 2 Chapter 8, we see all the first-year-students (of Beacon and the other visiting schools) lined up for Ozpin's speech. At 06:32, I've counted 34 first-year-students of Beacon, including the teams JNPR and RWBY, which are seen in the shot. However, we know of another team: CRDL. So, we can say that there were at least 40 people (the ones I've counted + CRDL = 38, +2 to make it divisible by 4 since there have to be full teams). So, we can safely say that there are at least 40 students, divided into at least 10 teams, in the first grade of Beacon.