Forums > RWBY

Are The Members of Team RWBY or Team RJNR Protected By Plot Armor?

Posts (38)

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33323463 - 2 years ago

Hi! I was wondering if any of you thought plot armor could protect a character from death. I know a lot of shows can show the proof of it, but RWBY is rather unique. If a character like Pyrrha Nikos can die, could Yang Xiao Long or even Ruby Rose share the same fate (Please, no, Rooster Teeth.)?

• Isgrate

Isgrate

#33324598 - 2 years ago

Hi, this is my first post so sorry if I mess up somehow :/

Anyway, I expect that all of JN_R will die.

In the third seasons opening they fall away in the order of:

-Pyrrha

-Nora

-Jaune

-Ren

And seen as they have been killing off redheads it seems Nora is pretty likely to die, (but I hope to see here turn yandere first) either way I doubt they'll die this season, but it could happen in the future.

(Side note: I am pretty sure Ren will be the one to kill Cinder as her symbol looks like his weapons, and if you look at previous characters who have died you may notice their symbols represent who they died (e.g. Pyrrha's shows an arrow piercing a shield))

As for RWBY, the only one I think might die is Ruby but that would be sacrificing herself to die with Salem or something like that. But they will probably stay alive no matter what.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33324607 - 2 years ago

In reply to ProfileForRWBY

Here's a better question- who do you want to die? Cause I know people who'd riot if Yang died.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33324871 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

I don't want any one of the characters to die! However, people do write death into shows like RWBY in order to further plot or provoke certain emotions from fans. This post thread is just a speculative idea I had run through my mind and wanted to talk about it and see what other RWBY fans thought. Sorry, if it angered you.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33324881 - 2 years ago

You didn't anger, I'm just saying that's the perspective to take. 

Either plot armor exists in RWBY or it doesn't. If it doesn't someone else in RWBY or JNPR is on a the chopping block next. Who would you rather take the hit?

(If you can't tell I'm of the opinion RWBY shouldn't try to be a show that doesn't have plot armor)

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33324885 - 2 years ago

In reply to Isgrate

You did great in your post (probably better than my first post). Anyway, Ren is my favorite side character. If he was the one to kill Cinder, I'd flip a table or something. However, with Pyrrha's death, I think it will end up being Jaune or Ruby to kill Cinder. By absolute grace, Ruby may spare Cinder (if she is rescue-able in her eyes); but seeing as how Ruby hasn't done this kind of thing before, Cinder's death is probably inevitable for now.

I like the idea of team RWBY staying alive no matter what.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33324887 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

Well, it may not be a popular idea, but I think if someone had to be chopped, it could Nora...Sorry, Nora fans.

With plot armor, I'm not really sure. Ideally, a forgettable side character.

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33324953 - 2 years ago

In reply to ProfileForRWBY NORA!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! oh well... I better just enjoy her remaining time (wink).

• zero3262

zero3262

#33325103 - 2 years ago

I think it is most important to understand what plot armor is and not mix it up.

If a character is protected by a plot armor he/she will win battles and survive attacks that he/she normally shouldn't and defeat enemys that are way to strong for him/her. But with (most of the time)the "Power of Friendship" he/she will still win.

Fairy Tail very often shows plot armor, for example at the point Natsu and the rest fights against Master Hades. In RWBY we didn't see this so far yet.

No one knows how dark they will get with the show, but till now it is still possible that even one of team RWBY dies. And I must say that I am OK with that (but my heart breaks at that moment q.q) if the storywriting is good.

To sum it up, I don't think even one character is protected by a plot armor, but it is very unlikely that we see one of them die in the near future. If that would happen the story would be way to fast over and there wouldn't have been a point for the character to exist.

If Blake for example would die now, what would have been the point for her being there? She would have escaped from the White Fang to be later found from Adam and be killed. Storywise she could have died while trying to escape and she would have accomplished the same amount of progess and therefor her storypart would have been completly in vain...

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine

#33325120 - 2 years ago

i dont think any of them except maybe Ruby have it. Yang lost an arm, Blake was Stabbed, Weiss was knocked out by the White Fang member. Weve never really seen Ruby take any hits that would knock her out of commision. Sure shes taken a couple bumps here and there but nothing major. I mean it makes sense to some degree shes THE main character, but still.

As for who i think could be next on the chopping block for a hero dying...Ren or Nora. Itll literally kill me inside when it happens, but thats my official prediction. 

• Vivamort

Vivamort FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33326372 - 2 years ago

I agree that RWBY isn't really hasn't demonstrated real plot armor.  we haven't seen anyone be totally outclassed and then just tried harder and then won.  it is one of the things that I like about the show, that it has consequences, though I would have liked it better if Pyrrha hadn't been the one to go from team JNPR.  For me Jaune or Ren would have been just dandy, but it certainly wouldn't have had the impact that killing Pyrrha did.

I think of Team RWBY, Ruby will certainly die, there are lyrics in at least one of the songs that lead me to think that it will happen.  But unlike Pyrrha, I think Ruby's death will accomplish something in the sense that she will chose to die, or do something that will result in her dying to save someone or even the world.  And if Yang is still alive at that point, if you think she is broken at the end of Vol 3... I am sure that will seem like a happy time to her if Ruby is killed.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33326377 - 2 years ago

In reply to Vivamort

RWBY has plot armor. Weiss should have been sawed in half by Banesaw but wasn't.

• Vivamort

Vivamort FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33326410 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

I think in the RWBY world there is something called Aura, I could be wrong though.  

If Weiss was just stunned and not actually unconscious her aura would have prevented fatal damage.  In short there was a reason that could be pointed to that caused her survival that was previously explained.  I mean Weiss didn't just take lethal damage and just through force of will stay awake and just tried harder and then beat White Fang Lieutenant.  the most Plot Armor thing so far in my mind, was the Silver Eye power reveal, but even that was alluded to in the first episode to let us know there was something special about her eyes.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33326417 - 2 years ago

In reply to Vivamort

If Banesaw explicitly saying that he wants to KILL Weiss, defeats her, and instead of killing her then and there, drags her to the front car of the train for no discernable reason doesn't convince you RWBY has plot armor you sir are in denial.

• Someday

Someday

#33326653 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

Agreed. Yang is honestly a counter example of RWBY having no plot armor because even after Adam announces to Blake that he will destroy everything she loves starting with Yang, he only cuts off Yang's arm, and lets wounded Blake run away. There definitely is plot armor for team RWBY. Jaune's my personal favorite character, and it seems like he will be having some thick plot armor (because they are actually developing him lol), so I don't really mind. I can see why other people might think plot armor is an issue though.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33326768 - 2 years ago

In reply to zero3262

Thanks for bringing that up. I had never considered the part where if a character died now, they or their story wouldn't mean much.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33326771 - 2 years ago

In reply to Vivamort

I must agree with Ruby's silver eyed power being plot armor. I must say though, I like Ruby's silver eyed plot armor. I hope she never dies though... ruby

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33326793 - 2 years ago

Yeah. Remember all the plot armor threads Penny had that are now up in the air?

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33326797 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

Um...I must admit that my noticing of the plot armor began with Ruby lazer face. Oh, wait. I remember Penny blocking a truck with her bare hands...yeah, that did not mean much in the end.

Boo! Ruby will mean more (I refuse the idea of her death). Plus, Penny could be brought back since she is a robot.

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33326807 - 2 years ago

I'm just pointing out plot armor exists for a reason. It's a tool. Like all tools it is neither inherently good or bad. It's when the use of a tool shatters the illusion in fiction that it becomes bad.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33326813 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

I'm just pointing out plot armor exists for a reason. It's a tool. Like all tools it is neither inherently good or bad. It's when the use of a tool shatters the illusion in fiction that it becomes bad.

Okay. This is very helpful for me to realize. Thanks! Do you think the plot armor in RWBY has been overused or used just enough in RWBY so far?

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33326819 - 2 years ago

It's not been used in the right proportion that's for sure. 

Here's my thought process. I mentioned Weiss and Banesaw earlier. That is an obvious use of plot armor. But I didn't question it. Not until Pyrrha, Penny and Roman were axed on swift succession. That was the show trying to showcase were there wasn't plot armor. But it makes me question if the show doesn't really have plot armor. And that makes me think of Weiss' case. In that case the illusion is shattered because they didn't have enough plot armor.

I think if they just crippled instead of killed Pyrrha the illusion would have remained.

But look at it this way, if RWBY used plot armor correctly would you have started this thread?

• PhantomAC

PhantomAC FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Not Otaku, Just Nerd

#33326834 - 2 years ago

In reply to SAmaster

But look at it this way, if RWBY used plot armor correctly would you have started this thread?

Good question. If plot armor was obvious, there would be no nail biting.; and who wants nails that long...

• SAmaster

SAmaster

#33326836 - 2 years ago

In reply to PhantomAC

Yeah, it's not whether the show has plot armor, it's how obvious whether or not the show has plot armor.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33326846 - 2 years ago

I believe that every member of RWBY and RNJR has a purpose and point to being the story It was always Pyrrhas purpose in the story to die, but that doesn't mean she has played her role yet. Jaune is my number 1 character and most of the time, characters like him have very important roles to play. So yes. I do think RWBY and RNJR are safe. From death, anyway