Forums > RWBY

Raven's Semblance and Powers

Posts (13)

• maverickx12

maverickx12

#33429124 - 1 year ago

Since Qrow is called Qrow because his semblance brings bad luck and crows are seen as bad omens, maybe Raven's semblance is the ability to give prophecy or see the future because ravens are a symbol of prophecy. It is in keeping with the theme that their names are based on birds that represent their semblances because they are twins. It also explains how Raven knew that Beacon would fall, how she knew Yang would need to be saved, and how she seems so generally well informed. Maybe this even explains why she just up and left Taiyang and Yang. She could have had a vision or prophecy of something terrible happening to her family so she left to protect them. She may have even foreseen her tribe coming after her to take her back, so to protect her family she left them and rejoined the tribe without a fight. Other thoughts about her semblance, portals, or shapeshifting?

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33434365 - 1 year ago

In reply to Maverickx12

I think Raven's sword is where the portal making comes from. Just a theory though.

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33434634 - 1 year ago

In reply to WalkingSpirit

Also, since I believe Raven is inspired by Morgana, that would make sense, because Morgana had prophetic dreams. If she is based of Morgana, that would make sense for her Semblance to be some sort of dream/vision related power, right?

Also. Ravens portals are the same red/black orb that Cinder's Grimm glove created. Ergo there is some link between them. Its just that if that link is Dust/Magic/Grimm related is what is unknown.

• Asdrubael

Asdrubael FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33434771 - 1 year ago

In reply to WalkingSpirit

Morgana/Morgana Le Fay, from the Welsh legends about King Arthur

Also this is what I meant:

tumblr_inline_o0c3ssIaTS1qgkove_540.png

V3_07_00086.png

And then you have this:

V2_11_00061.png

As well as this in every opening sequence for the Beacon Trilogy:

1102_The_Shining_Beacon_00547.png

So that red/black portal or magic swirl is important in some way, and if its the effect of both Raven's portal and Cinders Grimm glove magic than clearly it is has to be something that both are connected to. 

• skriker

skriker FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33438082 - 1 year ago

In reply to Asdrubael

Totally agree. The red/black portal is definitely important, it's been shown to be used by different sources. 

It's hard to link up though. But it seems to have something to do with Salem and the Grimm.

In terms of Ravens power, it definitely seems to centre around phrophey and fortune, given that Qrow has revealed his semblance is bad luck into others. 

This is going to be very interesting going forward, as Raven clearly has a big part to play in the unfolding events.

• SneakyDex

SneakyDex

#33440596 - 1 year ago

I find it very interesting that a lot of the more powerful characters and Huntsmen seem to have additional powers beyond aura in some form or another (Ravens portals, Qrows transformation, Ozpins "shield" in Vol. 3 Ch. 12, etc). So I see a lot of potential for more legends and/or mysteries to be introduced later on.

So far we have:

- Creation Myth (including Grimm and Mankind) / Relics

- The Wizard and the Four Maidens

- The Silver Eyed Warriors

What we still need answers to:

- Powers of Raven/Qrow/Ozpin

- Cinders powers prior to Maiden (maybe? could be just a Semblance though)

- Salems origins

- (possibly) Ozpins origins (if it is against all odds NOT connected with the Wizard)

• Asdrubael

#33440992 - 1 year ago

In reply to SneakyDex

I think Ozpin's shield is something that's possible with great amount of Aura control. In the same manner that people like Ren can create barriers to block attacks it might be possible for it to become a full shield with practice. 

• WatermellonChainsaw

WatermellonChainsaw

#33508078 - 1 year ago

In reply to SneakyDex

I have theory about Raven's semblance

And for safety I'm putting up a SPOILER WARNING:

Go finish volume 4, then come back

Keep in mind that since we've had such little screen-time with Raven, theories surrounding her will have to be mostly speculation. We know that Qrow's semblance is Misfortune, but what if Raven was the exact opposite and she brings good luck? This may seem like a stretch, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Even through she has only appeared in a couple of scenes, good luck seems to follow her. Take for example, when she meets up with Qrow at the bar in Volume 4. After the waitress mentions to Qrow that a red-eyed lady(revealed to be raven) upstairs paid for his drink, she says this, "Said you wouldn't mind bottom shelf...but I went ahead and gave you top. Lucky you." There are two important things to note here. The first is Qrow's reaction. His smile turns much less genuine upon hearing those words and immediately disappears once she's gone. It's almost as if she's confirmed his suspicions of the red-eyed lady being Raven, though all of this could attributed to him grimacing at the irony of being called lucky. The second thing is, considering his semblance, Qrow doesn't seem like the type of guy to regularly get free top shelf drinks. This semblance of Fortune may also be the aspect of Raven that tore team STRQ apart, as Qrow and Raven's semblances would constantly clash against each other(when Oobleck and Port visit the Xio Long household, Oobleck specifically mentions the Branwen twins being interesting, though this is probably just idle talk). In fact, Taiyang may specifically blame Raven because he believes her to be the twin with bad luck, not knowing that it is really Qrow who brings misfortune. 

• Yarev

Yarev

#33508085 - 1 year ago

In reply to WatermellonChainsaw

Crows are associated with bad luck, and ravens are supposedly associated with good luck, so I think your theory about her semblance is correct.

• maverickx12

maverickx12

#33579661 - 1 year ago

I just recently had a thought. People say that Raven's semblance is good luck to counter Qrow's bad luck because if there was no counter it would mess everything up, But if Raven could see the future, she would know how to avoid the effects of Qrow's bad luck just as well, basically countering it. 

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33580634 - 1 year ago

In reply to Maverickx12

I forgot I posted anything in this.

I see the most popular theories thus far are Raven had good luck or future sight. 

My question: Which would be cooler in a fight?

I pick future sight. Good luck vs bad luck sounds kinda lame and over used...What do you think, comment reader?

• Unicrash

Unicrash

#33745158 - 3 weeks ago

based on her fight with Cinder she has some pretty damn good luck because the terrain falling the way it did gave her plenty of escape opportunities for sure. But there are also quite a few times where her predictions became accurate and true so why can’t it be both? 

Reviving an old topic ~

New note, V5 finale credits show Raven returning to Tai. I think she’s decided to relay news that Yang has become involved in their old fight and we’ll get to see them in action in a latter volume.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33745740 - 2 weeks ago

Been dead for a year and someone found it. Lol.