Forums > RWBY

Create your own RWBY Character! (newbies welcome)

Posts (195)

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759249 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to A-Tank Damn son, Sounds like a guy My char would annoy a lot. but also maybe get along with

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759288 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexanderKai Remind me to get back to you tomorrow. I was a bit busy today.

• rt-201907010236314639857

rt-201907010236314639857

#33759300 - 2 weeks ago

I love this

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759310 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Reminder here. I'm new to this and I expect a lot of negative feedback. but it's to be expected. pls don't hold back. not that you ever would.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759311 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to rt-201907010236314639857 This Forum?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759336 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexanderKai Alright, so.

I'm having a lot of trouble picturing what the weapon looks like; it just kinda reads like a mishmash of concepts. Is there some simplistic way in which you could draw it maybe?

As for his semblance: I like the idea, but it kind of sounds like this is always active. I think it would be better if he had to activate it before it starts building op power or something. Also, when aura runs out, a semblance should by definition deactivate, since it's fueled by aura; it cannot keep going. That's another reason why I don't think the power should be automatic; it should cost him some aura to actively use.

It's also a bit typical to make an OC an exceptional person in-universe (like being better than most people their age, or having a unique sort of power or skillset or backstory, etc.), and in your case too it can be a bit too cliche-ish at times. Why can't he just be of average skill for a huntsman? Seeing as he isn't one, that would still be impressive. It just bothers me a bit that he has to be yet better, you know what I mean?

His backstory is also a bit...extreme. First off, why would a massive racist move into a country full of the race they hate? Seems kinda counter-intuitive. The fact also that Aaron was subject to torture as well as becoming a murderer is all a bit...much for a RWBY OC. The dead mother/parents trope is already pretty strongly present in both canon and fan-made RWBY characters, and this is like doubling down on it. I just feel that there's better ways to handle a similar struggle that's way less extreme, and thus makes more sense as to why he apparently doesn't suffer from it at all in terms of his personality or anything else. Someone who goes through a youth like that would not come out fine, or being able to leave it behind so easily, not at that age. So one of those things needs to change (that being the backstory or his coping with it). I also think it's a bit strange that a boy who was apparently constantly tortured by faunus and exposed to a racist father did not adopt those racist beliefs. It would make more sense if he either was not tortured and thus saw the good side of faunus to go against what his father was saying, or he actually was racist, until the faunus girl befriended him and he gradually became a better person.

The last point that I want to make is that it's kind of left unexplained why he's a good fighter in any way. He has no training, and his backstory doesn't mention anything either. You specifically say he isn't a huntsman, so where did he get his skills? Make his weapon? Learn his techniques? Etc.

That said, this isn't a bad first attempt for an OC, and I've seen way way worse. There's just a couple tropes/common pitfalls I see you stumble into that I think you could improve on. This character can easily be salvaged and improved.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759348 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I'll start revising it as soon as possible. There are a lot of details i left out because it's pretty long already. But I'll try to explain more and redo certain aspects. However he isn't fine, he's putting up a front and I suppose i should elaborate on how he can snap pretty easily. As for his past, the father moved to the place he would be least expected to go. he was a criminal trying to escape vale mistral and vacuo. and going to atlas is a big no. but thank you very much. I'll try to fix what i can. And as always advice is appreciated.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759355 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie And If I could post a picture onto this site I would but I don't know how to, I've changed my story drastically and have nerfed and more clearly defined his ability. However while i understand you think his semblance should cost aura to use that would cancel out its effect and basically mean he has no semblance.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759390 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexanderKai How would it cancel out...? And also, I don't just THINK it should cost aura to use a semblance. That's canon lore. Not my opinion. As far as I understood it, his semblance just enhanced his strength and made him immovable. Why can it not drain aura?

Also, you can post pictures by right clicking an image you uploaded somewhere online, selecting "copy image address" or w/e the equivalent is in your language, and pasting it in the text box you're typing in. The image should just show right up.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759470 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie The point of the character is to act as a tank of sorts, if it costs aura to increase his defense then technically he isn't increasing his defense at all because the second the aura hes wasting on defense dissipates he has less defense, and if semblances cost aura ruby would have run out a great deal of times. and qrow shouldnt even have aura since his is always on. i have not once seen semblance directly affect aura. i have however seen it affect the physically body by bypassing aura. and yes that's the jist of his semblance. hes at a disadvantage against long range combatants and people who are faster than him should also have an advantage. his semblance is great, but if he were to come blow to blow with someone like yang. although he'd have an advantage semblance wise at first she would soon out damage his defense boost and again win. his semblance is far from broken in any way so what are you getting at now? 

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759471 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexanderKai Please do your research then. Semblances cost aura. That's canon. You cannot use a semblance without any aura left. Ruby's semblance is relatively simple, so it would cost way less aura to use than Weiss', which is more complicated. This is why she gets tired when she overuses her summoning thing. Permanently on semblances like Qrow's probably only cost minute amounts of aura, but cost it nonetheless. If you have a defense semblance, logically it would give you more defense than regular aura does, making the aura cost worth it. I never said it was broken, so I'm not sure what you're getting defensive about. You told me not to hold back with feedback, I'm doing so, and now you're being butthurt.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759479 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I'm far from upset, I'm simply dissagreeing, if qrows semblance is always on, even with a small cost he would run out of aura permanently. since his semblance seems to strangely function without aura. and yes weiss gets tired, but her aura doesn't shut off or anything, since getting hit would cost aura and decreasing the force of the hit would also cost aura... and since aura is defense in of itself. it's reasonable to assume my characters semblance makes him have less defense even though it should have the opposite effect.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759480 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexanderKai Aura being halfway depleted doesn't mean the defensive function only works halfway. If your phone is at 50%, can it only use 50% of its functions? No, it can do everything until it reaches 0. Similarly, when you use some aura, what is leftover works just as well as it did when it was still full. Using a semblance to boost your defense higher than regular aura defense is not counterproductive. It does not make you have 'less defense'. Also, you keep saying you're disagreeing, but this is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Please go onto the RWBY wiki and read the semblance page. It is fueled by aura. Running out of aura means you cannot use a semblance. It's all on there. Stop pointlessly arguing in circles and accept you're wrong about how aura and semblances work. 

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759573 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie fine, tell me how to make my character then since your the master.. although Aura is already a perfect shield that prevents harm. so how could i even boost defense in the first place... the only way to do this would be to increase how long the defense lasts and that's not possible with how aura works from your stating even if that's what the rwby wiki states. I'd definitely like to know how hazel uses his semblance without aura. how rwby used hers without aura against torchwick, and how blake used hers without aura to escape from adam in volume 3... attacks don't just bypass aura.. yet they took physical damage to their bodies and continued using their semblances... 

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759574 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie None the less I have revamped the semblance to provide a boost to aura that causes it to be capable of taking more damage at a smaller cost in an intensity that still out-ways the negative of the minor cost to aura per minute coupled with the lessened drain from damage. so essentially the exact same thing but worded in a way that fits the flawed rules that have been laid out. so My character can take more damage than other characters by a decently large degree but at the cost of having his total defense on a changing timer of sorts aka he can get hit and lose 15 aura points and someone else can get hit and lose 30 but if they avoid getting hit their fine whereas if he avoids getting hit he's still lost five (although five may be too much because that would mean he'd run out in no time. ) and so will eventually run out even if he plays it safe, to balance this he cannot turn it off until he runs out of aura and so cannot simply toggle off the conserve. Better? I'll add it in later tired atm.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759576 - 2 weeks ago

In reply to AlexanderKai Aura doesn't prevent all harm, it just makes people able to tank hits that would otherwise completely incapacitate someone. A semblance that boosts defense could make it so someone doesn't even get hit at all or experience recoil anymore, for instance. And if any of the characters you mentioned were using a semblance, they would have still had aura left. Having aura doesn't mean all damage is immediately negated, it just means it doesn't do as much damage to the person as it otherwise would have. You can still get hit and hurt with aura protecting you, it just won't severely damage you. Also, your new explanation of the semblance is a bit hard to follow so I'll give feedback about it later when you are less tired and give a more coherent explanation.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759636 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie I'm still adamant that some semblances have maintained use after aura is used up and that blake shouldnt have been able to be completely stabbed through the gut if she wasnt out of aura. also adam wouldn't have tried to decapitate her if she still had aura since it would have failed.. But as i said ill do things your way. and although i dont believe i can explain the semblance in clearer terms than it is already i'll try.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759661 - 1 week ago

In reply to AlexanderKai Dude it's literally RWBY lore that semblances are fueled by aura. You've read the wiki. How are you still being stubborn about this? Completely running out of aura means no more semblance. Blake very well could have been stabbed because she was inattentive and didn't protect herself with aura properly. Who knows. That doesn't change anything. You aren't doing it my way, you're doing it RWBY's way. As for your explanation, try using punctuation.

• AlexanderKai

AlexanderKai

#33759681 - 1 week ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie Innattentive? rwby lore also tells us that aura needs to be activated, but once active is always on. my point it rwby doesn't follow it's own lore. and i just read the semblances forum on the rwby wiki and yes monty oum stated that semblances are fueled by aura. that doesn't necessarily mean that it costs aura. as someone can be fueled by revenge or by love. Semblances are the manifestation of someones aura. but not aura itself.in some cases such as qrow branwen. as the wiki states. semblances can be permanently activated which would mean qrows is on even when he's out of aura. moreover Nora was struck by lightning to activate her semblance and since becoming strong because of it is what made her find out about her ability. it is also always active... they have aura even though from what your saying they shouldn't... your misinterpreting rwby's lore sorry to say.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33759711 - 1 week ago

In reply to AlexanderKai No??? A car is fueled by gas. That means that without gas, the car cannot drive. And when it drives, it's using up the gas. THAT'S what 'fueled by' means. OF COURSE if aura fuels the semblance, then the semblance costs aura. That's two sides of the same coin. YOU'RE the one that's misinterpreting everything to fit your own narrative purely because you're too lazy to change your OC's semblance or too stubborn to admit you were wrong. If a semblance is permanently activated that just means they don't need to consciously activate it. Not that it is active even when aura runs out. Just that, as long as you have aura, it is automatically active. I'm not saying the people you mentioned shouldn't have aura. I'm saying they SHOULD. Since without it, they can't use semblances. Stop arguing. You're wrong. This shit is driving me crazy and I'd almost believe that you're doing that on purpose 'cause, SURELY, no one could actually be THIS stupid.