Forums > RWBY

RWBY VOLUME 6 IN DEPTH DISCUSSION THREAD| Argus

Posts (4904)

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33747044 - 3 days ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

That is why I said might because we dont know how old Maria is. 

Then there is the fact though the huntsmen were set up 80 years ago it takes time for a system especially like the one Huntsmen are to get setup and for it to replace whatever system was in place before huntsmen and there should be something even if its local levels.

So for the first 10 to 20 years of that 80 Huntsmen would be the minority taking over the majority of grimm hunting. And that range Maria does look solidly to be in. 

So she might be that local level of grimm slaying that either got pushed out or adopted into Huntsmen.

She might also be an early Huntsmen and having to deal with what was compared to what is. And being old enough to know both systems.

I have seen when new ways conflict with traditional roles and ways and its not pretty.

Though to be honest this is idle thoughts I dont think RT is going to give it too much details as I think the SE angle is going to be the driving force 

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33747045 - 3 days ago

In reply to AlexanderMBush

To me it looks like the scythe and cane are the same thing and from looking at the EW link the skull is actually the same she only added detail later because the one from EW seems to be missing the lines her cane has.

So I dont think she deconstructed her scythe at all. I think it still is a scythe she just isnt in a condition to use it is all. 

As for why she only has one it could be she cant use 2 and so carrying them both is a waste of time or the 2nd one got destroyed by whatever took her eyes.

• revanninja

#33747047 - 3 days ago

Its kind of funny but I was thinking on it and someone came up with a like idea but for Ozpin

LINK

Hopefully this works since the image wasnt loading in properly with a basic copy in.

EDIT

So I was looking at the image of the preview EW posted and I noticed some things.

First Maria was SMOKING when she was younger.

And second her scythes may connect together. She has a weird metal part that looks like half a rod on each end and the way they are shaped if they fit together should make them face opposite ways.

as an example

double_scythe_by_scottishrevenant-d38fwy

• acw28

acw28

#33747055 - 3 days ago

In reply to revanninja

Right now I'm thinking that Maria is one of the first Huntsmen to learn from the academies, given her use of Dust and her foldable, but not transforming, blades. It'd also be really cool if Qrow actually heard stories about Maria when he was younger, inspiring him to fight with a scythe. 

Also, as far as Maria's looks, I mean we haven't exactly seen an "ugly" person in the show.

• revanninja

#33747059 - 3 days ago

In reply to acw28

Well we know folding tech is not new as Ozpin in his IT form built the cane and that is at least 2 generations back if not more, honestly more then likely more.

So I dont think the tech of her scythe indicates anything.

Hard to say if Qrow has even heard of her or not seeing as how he comes from a bandit tribe which may not cover normal local heroes as they would often be their enemies. 

Also I have a sneaking suspicion that Port is closer to having heard stories of her then Qrow age wise.

Well we didnt exactly "see" her either its more just the whole thing then anything else.

• acw28

acw28

#33747061 - 3 days ago

In reply to revanninja

My point was that while her blades could collapse like Oz's cane it didn't appear she subscribed to the near universal "it's also a gun" rule.

• revanninja

#33747063 - 3 days ago

In reply to acw28

Uhm you might want to watch again because there is gun shot sounds and we see something being expelled from the back of the skull between the back blades.

She may be using a different gun but it appears she has something she used to fire and increase her rotation.

• acw28

acw28

#33747067 - 3 days ago

In reply to revanninja

Late here, can't find headphones and had to watch without sound, will review on the morrow.

• revanninja

#33747068 - 3 days ago

In reply to acw28

At about :46 when she is throwing her scythe you can hear it you can even see her putting her thumb on a switch when she does it as well.

At :57 you can see her fire again to propel her down and even see both flashes 

Then at :58 she goes into the pose she has for the preview image from EW and she again fires this time to spin

The gun shots arent loud and they are also purple flashes coming from the back of the skull on her weapon.

Funny enough I actually thought of a like weapon design a long time ago back when I was playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2

maxresdefault.jpg

I toyed with an idea of a simple design that had a gun on the back instead of a normal gun and you would fold the blades up to use the gun like a gun and unfolded to use it like Ruby does but I didnt do anything with that design as I thought it would be impractical.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33747070 - 3 days ago

In reply to revanninja where is this preview exactly?

• revanninja

#33747071 - 3 days ago

In reply to user-572df514355fe

LINK

Thank AlexanderMBush for it as he is the one who brought it forward I was completely unaware till he presented it.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33747075 - 3 days ago

Hey all, so my surgery went great. Two weeks for the wound to seal up and im gold. Doctor even said my crohns is in full remission so i can resume my regular diet once im recovered

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33747077 - 3 days ago

In reply to HunterBlaine glad to hear and congrats on the surgery good to here it went well.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33747078 - 3 days ago

Are we sure that Huntsmen are really as new as some people are making them out to be? We know that the Huntsmen ACADEMIES were founded 80 years ago. That does not necessarily mean that Huntsmen were not around before that. Academies are not the only method of teaching, its just one of the more organized ones.

Huntsmen and Huntresses could have been around for thousands of years, but instead of being taught in state founded academies they could have been a mix of individual mentor and apprentices, monasteries/dojos/etc where masters settled down to take students and various guilds that handed out apprenticeships. 

Then after the Great War the King of Vale set up a system where the Academies would be provided with funding from the state to hire masters, and set up a standardized curriculum to ensure that everyone got a quality education and learned the most vital aspects of the job, as well as other skills necessary to succeed in society that individual masters in the old system might not have bothered with (such as learning history). The academies might have taken aspects from many of the different old systems, for example the mission boards seem very Guild inspired and might have come from an old Huntsmens Guild system, while the high focus on sparring matches could be from wuxia style temples, dojos and monasteries. And the Combat Schools and Huntsman Academies heavily encouraging their students to design their own highly individualized weapons could be a holdover from the oldest Huntsman tradition of all, that of the lone master taking on one or two (or perhaps four) apprentices at a time and spending years or decades training them to completely master their craft and develop their own individual style that plays to their own individual strengths.

• revanninja

#33747081 - 3 days ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

There may have been a proto huntsmen before this but it is heavily implied by the transcripts that Huntsmen were created by the King of Vale.

The leaders of the four kingdoms met on the island of Vytal, and it was there that they worked together to form a treaty and establish the future of Remnant. Territories were redistributed, slavery was abolished, governments were restructured, and the Warrior King, the last king Vale would ever have, founded the Huntsman Academies and placed his most trusted followers in command of each kingdom's school. He would teach the world to fight, so long as we promised to fight for ourselves and never against ourselves.

The Great War WOR

The He would teach the world to fight seems to indicate that huntsmen did not exist before this as they did have armies and did know how to fight. So chances are good Huntsmen are only about 80 years old.

That said there may have been something before this to deal with the Grimm but it was no where as effective or trained as Huntmsen are.

• CarryOn88

CarryOn88

#33747083 - 3 days ago

In reply to revanninja

I would not say that Huntsmen did not exist until 80 years back, more like they weren't named huntsmen yet and most likely were named soliders, knights, warriors or whatever. As being a Huntsman is tied to aura and I doubt that it's something Ozpin came up with. 

Look at Ren for example he unlocked his Aura and Semblence at the same time at very young age due to stress. So I dobut that no one in history do that before him.

More or less I belive that what Ozpin did was simply to make matters more orderly and rise they quality of training of the Aura user so the knowledge and skills wouldn't be lost with death of one Huntsmen.

• revanninja

#33747084 - 3 days ago

In reply to CarryOn88

We dont know and that is the problem we can say that but it may in fact not be true at all.

We know there was warriors because the Great War WOR specifically tells us that Villages suffered because they were off fighting and there is some areas still not reclaimed because of that.

But that is the thing they werent specifically about hunting grimm like Huntsmen are. From my understanding we are talking about soldiers who work for the kingdom or local groups and they werent dedicated to it at all and it was more they were just general warriors.

And that also flies in another issue. Aura was not really studied before Atlas set themselves to do it. Ironwood actually tells us this. Aura was more spiritual and we see that with Pyrrha telling us it comes from the soul.

So Aura was around but it may not have been wide spread or well learned like it is today. 

So chances are VERY good Ozpin actually took all the pieces and fit them together which wasnt done before that and created something entirely brand new.

• CarryOn88

CarryOn88

#33747087 - 3 days ago

In reply to revanninja

I don't deny what you say, you might be right.  Huntmen might be just specialized type of solider. As for aura it might have been an object of some sort of sacral practices since like you notes Pyrrha connected it with soul.

Which might explain why what Atlas is doing was considered unnatural by was it Glynda or Qrow?

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33747088 - 3 days ago

No there earlier on, there weren't any huntsmen or huntresses.

There were only people fighting Grimm while amplifying their powers with dust.

It's not a bomb, it's a device which is exploding.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33747089 - 3 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

I bet different kingdoms had different names before the title of "Huntsman/Huntress" was formalized after they Vytal Accords.

• revanninja

#33747090 - 3 days ago

In reply to CarryOn88

As far as I currently recall I dont think they called it unnatural as it was Ironwood talking about it you might be getting Pyrrha mixed in due to Amber which she says the aura transfer is wrong.

Chances are high there was something in place but it probably was a local thing and has as much issues as any local program normally runs into.

Possibly just the warriors or guards who were just better at fighting grimm then others were.

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33747091 - 3 days ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

Hunters?

• acw28

acw28

#33747094 - 2 days ago

In reply to revanninja

Okay, I admit that I was wrong about Maria not having guns. I plainly heard the gunshots and saw the barrels on the back of the skulls. Still, rather odd placement of the weapon, doesn't seem very practical...

So since Oz has lost everyone's trust, is Maria the groups new mentor?

• fireflyrocked

fireflyrocked FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33747095 - 2 days ago

In reply to revanninja

I use chrome also.

Can you (or anybody) explain what this "closed beta" whatever is and what its purpose is and why I should care? Explain it like I'm 5 years old :)

• revanninja

#33747096 - 2 days ago

In reply to acw28

No I dont think she is I think she is just keeping things together for now but it wont hold for long.

As for it being practical it depends on a few factors like how old those are she may have had to make choices between functions and forms because its clear she is using it to speed up her strikes and not using it as a gun so it actually makes a lot of sense that way.

So form and how she wants it to work can control a lot.

In reply to fireflyrocked

Its a new community site they are still working on no more no less not everything is up and running yet and its getting kinks worked out.