Forums > RWBY

RWBY VOLUME 6 IN DEPTH DISCUSSION THREAD| That's all she wrote.

Posts (6804)

• 4654ryan

4654ryan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757039 - 1 month ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

TLDR; Normal magic comes from God of darkness, magic capacity is finite and indestructible, Silver eyes magic comes from God of light.

Well we have from what I can tell six key pieces of information / examples of magic in Remnant.

1) It was a gift from the God of darkness as stated by the deity itself

2) The God did not take magic back as both Ozpin and Salem still use magic prior to the God's departure.

3) The children of Oz and Salem were capable of using magic, possibly giving it a genetic factor.

4) No people except for the SEW's were capable of using magic after 'the flood'.

5) Magic is tied to the soul as shown by the maidens and Ozma who's soul always retains its magic regardless of his body and the maidens which were stated to have their magic bound to their soul.

6) The silver eyes magic comes from the god of light, unlike normal magic.

Known magic users so far are: Ozpin, Salem, Ruby (I'm counting Silver eyes as magic), Raven, Cinder and Qrow.

Speculative / unexplained properties of magic include - Why it passes from maiden to maiden, to what extent is Ozpin able to transfer his magic and the difference between the silver eyes and the magic of Oz and Salem. 

My personal take on it is that capacity for magic is indestructible however can be exchanged and shared between people. This means that parents transfer some (or all) of their magic capacity to their children upon conception or upon death and was originally part of the essence of the God of darkness. A persons magic ability is limited like a battery and the act of using magic is like draining it. However the battery naturally recharges. Ozpin sharing his magic is like lowering his capacity whilst giving the recipients a limited magic capacity. 

Alternatively instead of a batter metaphor it may be they simply have a limited magic 'power', meaning amount of magic energy they can use per second and that's is what is shared among maidens.

Possible theory is that Silver eyes are a side effect of the reincarnation process. The god of light used his magic to give Ozma reincarnation however children of him and non magic people receive residual magic from this process. This could explain why his children are seen to have silver eyes (I'm talking about the two children of the guy who looks like a Walmart employee) and why Maria Calvera states the Silver eyes come from the god of light. 

Keep in mind this is all speculative.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757053 - 1 month ago

In reply to 4654ryan

Semblance could be a "semblance of magic" basically a lesser form of it, this would explain how one could "evolve their semblance" and it would explain the Shnees

• 4654ryan

4654ryan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757054 - 1 month ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

That could also explain the line "semblance of power" from Salem. Salem see's semblance as a lower form of magic. the re establishment of humanity is still a little vague and many points like the creation of dust, creation of funhaus and creation of semblance are all a little vague. 

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757074 - 1 month ago

In reply to BakedBrain

Jaunes semblance could be mistaken as magic too

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757075 - 1 month ago

Hey everyone!! Avengers: Endgame is out and it was the best movie of all time. If your looking for something to see while waiting for RWBY, see this

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33757078 - 1 month ago

In reply to 4654ryan

Wait...Salem created Funhaus? That makes a shocking amount of sense...

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33757081 - 1 month ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

As far as I know she didn't and I don't think Ryan was trying to say that.

He or she was lumping the creation of faunas in with the vague unknown of how humanity got reborn.

From my phone

• acw28

acw28

#33757082 - 1 month ago

In reply to 4654ryan

Wait...Salem created Funhaus? That makes a shocking amount of sense...

Behold, the creation of the Faunus!

mankind_2_0_by_leonardofrei_dcs7qjk-pre.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33757083 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

2419698583402d271005106f2b91ed23.jpg

In reply to acw28

Implications are...unsettling.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33757084 - 1 month ago

lopez lawrence sarge simmons

tenor.gif

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757085 - 1 month ago

In reply to 4654ryan

Some random thoughts about the "powers" in RWBY.

* Magic is shown mostly as a fighting capability.

* The healing side was not very well developped, if at all (coming from the God of Darkness, this is no wonder). There was no one capable of healing Ozma before he died not even speaking about resurrection.

* To reinforce this, magic is a poisoned "gift" geared towards destruction, bordering on being a trap. Remember how swift Dark was at his brother's side when a fight was to be had.

* It is hereditary, magician + magician will result in magician (all four children of Ozma and Salem had magic).

* It might be recessive (magician + normal results in normal), but we do not know of any other Oz-kids.

* It took three normal hunters to take down an unexperienced maiden (ABB class).

* It brings new fighting capablilities, but does it also bring in a new power pool? This may be inconsequential as hunters are never shown to run out of dust (except from Weiss when fighting the Lancer queen)

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757086 - 1 month ago

Schnee semblance powermongering.

Maybe one of the authors is a Schnee fanboy and also a powermonger with little restraint. In this case there is nothing behind it.

Facts.

The Schnee semblance has content which is sufficient for at least four normal above average semblances.

* Creating fire bases, the glyphs can fire projectiles

* Creating stepping stones, acceleration and deceleration bases (capable of slowing down a 20ton something aircraft

* Summoning a large number of different creatures,

* Erecting walls and structures, although this may not directly glyph based, nobody else does it.

All glyphs can be placed a considerable distance away from the Schnee, and multiple glyphs can be placed simultaneously.

Summoning does require defenseless concentration at creation, but the Schnees can move afterwards, Weiss can ride the Lancer queen. Weiss dishes out lots of glyphs in a fight, so they are either cheap, or she has a large pool to draw from.

Compare this to other semblances.

* Sun can summon a maximum of two clones, but is defenseless for the full runtime of the clones which is also limited.

* Blake can summon a shadow clone, which is only a decoy

* Qrow - meh

* Ruby has superspeed, which is better than movement enhancement part of the Schnee semblance, but obviously lacks the other capabilities.

• BakedBrain

#33757095 - 4 weeks ago

In reply to Dinobot01

I would like to join in with recommendations.

Toaru majutsu no index (A certain magical index) Massive villain pressure

Toaru kagaku no railgun (A certain scientific railgun) Same world, much slower pace

Together a sh*tload of runtime.

Recommendation video for Toaru from YouTube

The rising of the shield hero.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33757097 - 4 weeks ago

In reply to BakedBrain

Schnee semblance powermongering.

Maybe one of the authors is a Schnee fanboy and also a powermonger with little restraint. In this case there is nothing behind it.

Facts.

The Schnee semblance has content which is sufficient for at least four normal above average semblances.

* Creating fire bases, the glyphs can fire projectiles

* Creating stepping stones, acceleration and deceleration bases (capable of slowing down a 20ton something aircraft

* Summoning a large number of different creatures,

* Erecting walls and structures, although this may not directly glyph based, nobody else does it.

All glyphs can be placed a considerable distance away from the Schnee, and multiple glyphs can be placed simultaneously.

Summoning does require defenseless concentration at creation, but the Schnees can move afterwards, Weiss can ride the Lancer queen. Weiss dishes out lots of glyphs in a fight, so they are either cheap, or she has a large pool to draw from.

Compare this to other semblances.

* Sun can summon a maximum of two clones, but is defenseless for the full runtime of the clones which is also limited.

* Blake can summon a shadow clone, which is only a decoy

* Qrow - meh

* Ruby has superspeed, which is better than movement enhancement part of the Schnee semblance, but obviously lacks the other capabilities.

Except outside of summoning all glyphs seem to use dust, 

• BakedBrain

#33757113 - 4 weeks ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

Even if it was true, that glyphs are dust-powered, it would only shift the insane advantage in versatility to another category of superpowers. Other characters use dust as cartridges, Ruby fires dust rounds. in this case dust is truly used (spent), but Weiss does not have to reload her revolving magazine and can place dozens of glyphs without having to bring up new chambers.

Just seeing her abilities you would normally assume that it is elemental magic. Summoning, attack and defense based on ice.

No other character can throw up walls, place firebases or stepstones "using" dust. Normally you have the basic superpower of jumping onto roofs like any Far-East-Ninja-fiction-character and you have your semblance. Qrow has a long range sword strike (which does not occupy his semblance slot), which is either extended Ninja stuff or true magic.

Finally I would not believe that it is consistent to split glyph action between semblance and dust usage.

This show's strength is fight animation (visuals) and one of its weaknesses is world building (I will take that back (partially) if the uniqueness of the Schnee's power is explained in a satisfying way).)

• acw28

acw28

#33757116 - 4 weeks ago

Yep, extremely. Although the artist said she just pet them a lot and regular contact with Salem's magic changed the animals into Faunus.

• seedfan85

seedfan85

#33757137 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

We see Adam's words did affect Yang just before Blake's "protecting each other" i don't think they mismanaged her PTSD, her case is just less severe than others, which is fine, because everyone is different.  It's not Legend of Korra level, but the narrative doesn't revolve around just her, so it's not going to be.

No. It's not less severe, it's just inconsistent. In volume four she was jumping and seeing flashbacks at cups breaking. It wasn't even an issue in volume 5, after yang reunites with Qrow & Co and just about all of volume 6, but especially during the Adam fight, all of which takes place in less than a year. And you're absolutely right, the narrative doesn't revolve around her...it revolves around Salem and, this is important...Team RWBY's fight against her. Ruby Rose is the main character, certainly. But, Weiss, Blake & Yang are deuteragonists, meaning that they occupy the same narrative space as Ruby, so making a comparison to Korra, is actually possible, but that would require the hiring of a better writer for the series.

• MichaelHalpe

#33757164 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to seedfan85

In reply to MichaelHalpe

We see Adam's words did affect Yang just before Blake's "protecting each other" i don't think they mismanaged her PTSD, her case is just less severe than others, which is fine, because everyone is different.  It's not Legend of Korra level, but the narrative doesn't revolve around just her, so it's not going to be.

No. It's not less severe, it's just inconsistent. In volume four she was jumping and seeing flashbacks at cups breaking. It wasn't even an issue in volume 5, after yang reunites with Qrow & Co and just about all of volume 6, but especially during the Adam fight, all of which takes place in less than a year. And you're absolutely right, the narrative doesn't revolve around her...it revolves around Salem and, this is important...Team RWBY's fight against her. Ruby Rose is the main character, certainly. But, Weiss, Blake & Yang are deuteragonists, meaning that they occupy the same narrative space as Ruby, so making a comparison to Korra, is actually possible, but that would require the hiring of a better writer for the series.

No we don't know how long Yang's perspective in Vol 4 was, as for inconsistency, for practical purposes, they would be considered child soldiers, a younger mind is quite a bit more adaptable... 

• seedfan85

seedfan85

#33757172 - 3 weeks ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

In reply to seedfan85

No we don't know how long Yang's perspective in Vol 4 was, as for inconsistency, for practical purposes, they would be considered child soldiers, a younger mind is quite a bit more adaptable... 

For the first point, okay, maybe, for arguments sake, I'll give you that. The second one, yes and no. Yes, a younger mind is more maleable, however it is also a lot more fragile than one that has been tempered with experience and that experience, is what enables adaptation to various situations.

• arkri27

arkri27

#33757716 - 6 days ago

Something gives me the feeling that when Adam removed his mask, that that was the first time Blake saw him without it. It was like he needed to show the scar to prove his point, though if she had seen it already, then what would be the point, besides dramatic effect? I mean, his mask could have been cut off for that reason instead. She even looked saddened when she finally saw him without it. My point is that I wonder how ' close ' their romance was. I can only be vague, so I'll just say; maybe they never 'fully committed'. Blake was young, maybe didn't feel like she was ready to commit in full, not terribly uncommon at that age. And if that's so, it could add to his spite even further; not only did she betray him and the White Fang, but she never truly committed herself to him, which could only add to his feelings of betrayal and pain. She did, however, commit herself to her new friends - obviously in a different manner. More fuel for the fire. Also would make the relationship less cliche. Leaving it at mentor/apprentice would have been much better in my opinion, but that's just me. Nonetheless, that's my theory.

• Dinobot01

#33757783 - 4 days ago

HEADS UP!! The next episode of Death Battle is a match between Mitsuru Kirijo from Persona 3 and her opponent will be none other than our very own Ice Queen, Weiss Schnee!!!   

DON'T MISS IT!!!

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33757788 - 4 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01 Why am I not surprised? Unless they can pull off unexpected turn, it's gonna be fixed match for advertisement purpose.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33757791 - 4 days ago

In reply to HokutoYangSoup You think that's bad? wait till you see the spoiler post for RWBY: after the fall involving coco.

• acw28

acw28

#33757796 - 3 days ago

In reply to user-572df514355fe

So Coco is the gay character that was teased in the review?

As far as DB goes, I've got mixed feelings. On one hand I would like the show to follow the rules and to use "science" to find the winner, but on the other I won't mind some bias towards RT's IP if the fight is well animated and exciting (here's hoping for a 3D fight). At least there's three more Volumes of data for Weiss to consider (I wonder if a cooler headed, robot armed Yang would have made a difference in her fight?).

• revanninja

#33757800 - 3 days ago

In reply to acw28

That is the thing she may not be Gay.

Its all from Velvet that Coco broke Girl's hearts and Coco has been shown to be openly slapping Fox's behind back in vol 2.

From my understanding of people talking about it mind I dont have the book its that one line and nothing else we dont have anything from CoCo herself on the subject. 

So its possible she is suppose to be Bi or this is a case of early installment weirdness.