Forums > RWBY

RWBY VOLUME 6 IN DEPTH DISCUSSION THREAD| That's all she wrote.

Posts (6664)

• SylvverDolly

SylvverDolly

#33719035 - 11 months ago

This probably isn't all that related to whatever you guys were talking about at the moment in this thread, but I'm not sure anyone has pointed this out yet (if anyone has, I apologize for bringing it up once more). Anyways, was it just me or did any of you think that the reason Ruby was on the rooftop in V5 was because she had one of those PTSD/nightmare/dream moments and couldn't sleep? It's a pretty crappy theory, but it's the first thing that had come to mind when it happened. What do you gus think?

• SylvverDolly

SylvverDolly

#33719037 - 11 months ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

In my opinion, Roman was a great villain, but killing him off didn't suck the life out of the show. There were many other great villains introduced in the show that had greater power, which would have made Roman seem weak and useless compared to the others. He wouldn't have played much of a role in the series during V4 and V5 since there were other things to worry about besides a power-hungry man stealing dust from everyone.

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33719081 - 11 months ago

The way that Cinder was killed though, that sucked. I think they were trying to set up something big for Cinder but the fight between Raven didn't have much of an emotional payoff. I mean we don't even know much of Raven other than exposition.

I honestly think Cinder should've fallen either to Jaune or Ruby, or both. That would've given us some closure.

We don't even know much of Cinder at all.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33719103 - 11 months ago

In reply to SylvverDolly

Agreed. Keeping him around for too long would have just made him wear out his welcome. Its like that great Batman movie once said, "you either die a great villain or you live long enough too see yourself become tiresome."  wink

Plus Torckwick is staying around for RWBY Chibi anyway. We get all the charm without having to worry about him being overshadowed by more powerful villains.

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet

Personally I'm very skeptical that Cinder is dead-dead. More likely she's only mostly dead and will come back at some point and in some form. Might have to end up possessing Emerald or being turned into 60-90% Grimm stuff to do it, or require a Relic but she's practically guaranteed to come back. Even if she doesn't we might learn more about her just from Salem talking about to win over Emerald so that she can be groomed into Salem's next uber Maiden.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33719109 - 11 months ago

I dont think it did kill her though.

The way the cast speaks of her such as her VA during the rewind there is a lot of unknown things planned for her. Nigiri hinted that Cinder has a reason for her drive for power even as it damages her body which she is proud of.

So I dont think they have killed her at all. But rather I think she is like Vol 3 BADLY hurt and going to come back with new grimm parts since they have already shown her arm it makes sense they would expand on that.

So chances are good Cinder and Raven isnt meant to close out Cinder's story but rather add a new chapter to it.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33719114 - 11 months ago

In reply to revanninja So which parts do you think cinder will get grimmed up next? My moneys on her legs.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33719122 - 11 months ago

In reply to user-572df514355fe

The Legs are a good chance I agree.

Cinder in all her day to day forms LIKES showing off her legs.

Young_Cinder_Concept_Art.png
    Vol4_Cinder_Concept_Art.jpgCinder_at_Juinor%27s_Place.png

Same goes for her back and shoulders which she toned down a lot for her vol 4 and 5 clothes probably because the arm or the scars from the arm extend to her back.

So her legs becoming Grimm makes a lot of sense because its chipping away at the beauty Cinder was so clearly proud of.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33719161 - 11 months ago

In reply to revanninja

In addition to the legs I would also love if she got some kind of Grimmified scar across her face to really emphasize that being frozen and falling down a cliff would have been super fatal if it wasn't for the part Grimm aspect of her body saving her. 

Heck the story keeps upping the horror ante, if we don't get to see the frozen chunks of her body kept in stasis next volume I would love to see a scene of Cinder basically just being a bunch of pieces of a human body barely hanging together with threads of Grimm goo with a focus on the face in particular being split into at least two pieces. Bonus points if Cinder is clearly conscious and in incredible pain, and it being implied that Salem is choosing not to keep her sedated as punishment for screwing up so badly at Haven. 

It would be the ultimate dark mirror of Amber's condition in Volume 3 and it would really emphasize that surviving in a situation where she should by all rights be dead did not come without cost.

• revanninja

#33719166 - 11 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

I REALLY dont think that is how they are going with this.

Like at all.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33719171 - 11 months ago

In reply to revanninja

Eh, maybe not. Though I do think that being brought back from that kind of Mortal Kombat style Fatality will likely have some cost beyond just becoming ugly.

• revanninja

#33719174 - 11 months ago

That assumes it was a fatality which there was enough factors that say cinder may not have had that.

It could be swung either way.

From my phone 

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33719183 - 11 months ago

In reply to revanninja

I'm really hoping the same thing.

• SylvverDolly

SylvverDolly

#33719228 - 11 months ago

Instead of only having Grimm parts, I think she'd also have robotic parts, kind of like Professor Ironwood and Yang. It would probably be slightly smarter as well because during the Raven VS Cinder fight, her Grimm arm was rather vulnerable and an easy area to target, while on the other hand (See what I did there?) a robotic part might be at least slightly more durable than a Grimm one, even if it's only by a little bit. We'd also get a bonus with it since we'd get to see how awesome she'd look with a mix of robotic and Grimm parts!

• DekZek

DekZek

#33719298 - 11 months ago

In reply to SylvverDolly

Maybe Grimm with a metal shell? The metal could be protected by aura, and therefore protect the Grimm parts underneath.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33719302 - 11 months ago

In reply to revanninja

If there wasn't a fatality I call bullshit. That sort of "oh we didn't SEE the body so getting thrown into a blast furnace totally wasn't fatal" bullshit is not something I want to see in Ruby. If Cinder had just been dropped of the cliff I could have accepted that she was able to use the Grimm arm to hang onto something and slow her fall, but when a character falls from a height like that while their mystical protection powers have explicitly run out and they've been frozen into a freaking statue the result damn well better be that they shatter into a thousands pieces. 

I can accept that there are bullshit magical ways to "fix" that to some extent but when they had Raven go out of her way to double tap there should not be some bullshit about how that wasn't actually fatal. If falling 1000+ feet while frozen solid isn't something that shatters you into a thousand pieces in this world then Raven not using some other way of ensuring Cinder's demise just feels forced.

In reply to SylvverDolly

Pretty sure Aura can protect robot limbs actually. Its no different from how they can cover their weapons and clothes in Aura. Pretty sure the problem with the Grimm arm isn't just that it doesn't have Aura but that it actively rejects it, sort of like oil and water.

In reply to DekZek

That would be pretty damn cool. Or maybe add Geist parts and have it possess robot limbs?

Salem is pretty smart, she doesn't punish underlings just because they fail as long as they did their job properly. If the reason they failed is because they screwed up though? As we've seen with Tyrian and Lionheart, she's not very merciful in those situations. Considering that the total failure at Haven was due to Cinder changing a perfectly sensible plan in order to pursue her vendetta I doubt that Salem will let it slide. Heck we could see a continuation of seeds of Cinder's discomfort under Salem's rule that we saw in Volume 4 and in Dread in the Air. I would not at all be surprised if it leads to a Starscream moment somewhere down the line.

• revanninja

#33719308 - 11 months ago

Except the issue is Raven was shown breaking out of that Ice several times with clear indication its her maiden powers doing it and Cinder has been shown able to fly.

And Raven wasnt able to instant break out of the Ice either it took her a bit.

Keep in mind Aura is not always on and people can be taken by surprise like Raven was. The AMA in fact flat out stated that you can take people by surprise as they cant always have Aura on.

Maiden powers so far arent tied to aura needs. Meaning it doesnt need aura to be used like Semblance or the defensive use of aura has been shown to do.

So already there is preestablished ways for them to not have Cinder die. 

And people CAN survive those types of falls without fatality in the real world my step father did. He was hurt yes but he lived and with all his limbs intact.

And we currently dont know what is down there. Could be sharp rocks could be snow could be water. We just dont know.

One other thing that also works against it is Maiden powers move on with death and we have seen a visual clue of what that looks like back in vol 3. In that Dark space it would have been very visible.

So to me it isnt forced at all they have shown enough in other places to say if they wanted to make it not be her death they have the threads to do it.

So as I said and will stand by it most likely didnt kill her, hurt her very possibly, but kill no.

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.3

#33719339 - 10 months ago

So one thing I'm pretty certain is going happen is since they are heading to Atlas, Blake's probably putting back on the bow.

• EmeraldKiwi94

EmeraldKiwi94

#33719353 - 10 months ago

In reply to JROY

I hope she doesn't. If she puts the bow back on because Atlas is racist against Faunus, she's hiding again. All her rallying of the other Faunus (many of whom can't hide that they're Faunus) will feel hollow and hypocritical. If Blake puts the bow on because she has no other choice (like Faunus literally aren't allowed in somewhere they need to go in asap) I'll accept it but for most other reasons it'll feel like ten steps backwards for her character. I feel like she's already moved past the "hiding I'm a Faunus" thing. Don't have her regress again...

• SylvverDolly

SylvverDolly

#33719354 - 10 months ago

In reply to JROY

It isn't entirely certain that they are going to go to Atlas, but if they do, I doubt the bow is coming back anytime soon. Blake herself has said that she isn't going to be running away anymore, so that probably implies that she isn't going to be running away from her true identity either. I honestly see her being more open about being a faunus more than anything at this point.

• SylvverDolly

SylvverDolly

#33719355 - 10 months ago

In reply to EmeraldKiwi94

Agreed.

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33719363 - 10 months ago

I was just hoping that Cinder will be coming back. She has to. It just can't end this way for her. I need closure for Pyrrha.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33719408 - 10 months ago

In reply to revanninja

What Cinder used on Raven seemed to be a beam of frost that covered Raven in ice. The magic Raven used on Cinder seemed to freeze her from the inside out, probably not something that would work on someone with Aura active but a lot more fatal against people without Aura.

And I don't think you get what I mean. When I say that it would be forced for Cinder to survive in that I don't mean that there's no way you couldn't come up with a explanation for how it wasn't fatal, I mean it would be forced in the sense that the writers clearly forced Raven to make a bad choice in order to keep Cinder alive.

Raven has access to all sorts of absurdly powerful magic, she could have shot a icicle at Cinder to impale her, burned her to ashes with a fireball, zapped her brains with a lightning bolt, just flown down there personally and cut her in half, just cut her in half instead of using a palm-strike, etc. 

I think Cinder should come back and alive from this but it should be due to some kind of bullshit magic that Raven had no way of knowing about. Freezing Cinder and then dropping her off a cliff should be fatal enough that Raven has every reason to assume that it works. She just broke out of a ice attack herself at the start of the fight so having her use a similarly fallible ice attack as her method of double tapping would be a clear Idiot Ball moment, and I don't like it when writers hand out Idiot Balls to force the plot to happen.

Characters making mistakes because of unknown factors that they couldn't account for is fine, but it must be something they couldn't reasonably account for. Salem having some way to bring a person back to life after their body has shattered into a thousand pieces is sufficiently out there that it makes sense that Raven wouldn't consider it. Raven's ice attack being something that you can just melt your way out of however is not.

I'm not saying Cinder should die for good, just that she should be dead enough that it requires some obscure, rare and OP magic that Raven doesn't know about in order to bring her back. Because otherwise Raven using ice instead of just cutting Cinder into mince-meat would just feel forced.

• user-572df514355fe

user-572df514355fe

#33719424 - 10 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling actually Raven's palm strike was sparking with electricity now that i think back to it and that would most likely cause cinder's muscle control to spaz out so she couldn't retaliate or react when she was knocked back.

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33719430 - 10 months ago

Either way, if Cinder survives without op ancient ritual-esque magic, its bullshit.

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33719431 - 10 months ago

Wait is elephant shit bigger than bullshit? If so, elephant shit.