Forums > RWBY

This Is Also a Gun: The Secret Stories of RWBY and the True Identity of Dorothy Gale

Posts (5)

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33694419 - 1 year ago

In reply to KarmaChimera

Sorry but Ruby is still Dorothy. 

We’ve seen a recurring motif of a Rose Compass which is also called the Rose of the Winds. A wind rose is also a device used by meteorologists to determine the course of the wind. As we know Gale means Wind. 

So victory is in a simple soul, no? Yang and Ozpin pointed to Ruby always having a spark or knowing the right thing. Why? Because it comes back to the show’s rosette symbolism.

Ruby is the show’s moral compass. She is Dorothy. Has a dog named Zwei like Dorothy’s Toto which, ironically, is the spelling of “2 To’s.

RWBY is good and subversive storytelling, sure, but this isn’t some grand story that will define a generation. They borrow a LOT of wealth of information from other sources because the show runs on “Rule of Cool” but still has enough emotional depth to resonate with people because TrueArtIsAngsty.

• KarmaChimera

KarmaChimera

#33694897 - 1 year ago

Wait what?? Tin-foilhat you're a member on my Discord server and you already heard this theory months ago and expressed belief in it then. What in the world are you going on about with compasses? When the heck in RWBY do they use one of these:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_rose

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33695169 - 1 year ago

In reply to KarmaChimera

Don’t get me wrong. It’s an interesting theory but the more time I spent thinking about it lately the less it just seems unlikely. Like, I thought it had a shot pre-V4 but the more we’ve seen of Cinder the theory no longer fits the narrative potential. 

As for the Rose Compass, it appears in the first episode when the map is shown in the left corner and appears again when Lionheart opens the vault. I can’t get an image on my phone but it looks more like a compass than watch.

• KarmaChimera

KarmaChimera

#33695253 - 1 year ago

What are you talking about? Cinder's been screaming hints at the G.U.N. theory. Did you not see the short sword and the spear and the statue and the chains and even her Grimm arm matching the gloves? They're almost hitting us over the head with it now.