Forums > RWBY

Volume 6 Wants And Theories

Posts (1968)

• 4654ryan

4654ryan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33717218 - 5 months ago

In reply to ValentineHeart 

I think the pacing in volume 4 and 5 was just horrible.

ALso there is no doubt in my mind that cinder will return but she will be more Grimm.

• ValentineHeart

ValentineHeart

#33717222 - 5 months ago

In reply to 4654ryan

I think the pacing in volume 4 and 5 was just horrible.

I have to disagree somewhat on the pacing of Volume 4. I know it felt Anti-Climatic after Volume 3 but it was a necessary transitional sequence, and something of a recovery volume. Also we saw some truly excellent character growth and world building in Volume 4, it even seemed as if Cinder was getting some solid character growth until she got her voice back.

Where the show really fell apart for me was Volume 5, especially towards the end. The pacing, scene direction, and just about everything got so bad at the end it was nearly unwatchable. It has a few solid scenes, like the Raven vs Cinder fight and where Yang confronts Raven, but it just can't redeem the crappy scene direction and poor pacing of the last few chapters.

• 4654ryan

4654ryan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33717228 - 5 months ago

you're right. That large fight was largely anticlimactic and drawn out. the fights were cut away from too frequently and a lot of the reveals  like mercury and yang and Hazels backstory were such a let down.

• Velrak

Velrak

#33717323 - 5 months ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

- "Current" Ruby vs "previous" Ruby : from the Red Trailer to Penny's death, Ruby was a unique mix with an innocent and childish behavior, a cheerful personality and many badass fighting capabilities. Something special came from her, that's what I called "charisma". I don't know how to describe it differently haha. But since V4, her childish side feels wrong to me. She faced death (Penny then Pyrrha) so I expect her to evolve. I loved the scene between her and Oscar in V5/chap5, it proved how much mature she had become. But still those childish moments all along V4 and V5 ! This feels wrong. Maybe RT did it on purpose, Ruby may be in a long transition period but I think it's time for her to become stronger and more mature in V6 like a better version of the Ruby from V1 to V3 :) She has to remember the last words Roman said to her ("This is the real world ! The real world doesn't care about spirit, the real world is cold !")

- Ruby / death / silver eyes : Like you, I see a strong connection between Ruby's personality and Summer's death. Because it happened when Ruby was very young, I think it magnified and made her personality grow quicker (but she already had it in her because it is simply her nature). But that doesn't mean she knows how to handle death. Ruby didn't see Penny die but she saw Pyrrha die and it unleashed her silver eyes. When Jaune was on the verge of dying against Cinder in V5/chap11, again the silver eyes coming off. I really think the power of silver eyes has something to do with death itself or at least the fear of death. Ruby still doesn't know how to handle death (we never truly can but everyone can become stronger about it) and I think it explained why she still can't control her power. I hope this will be answered in V6 (with Ozpin teaching Ruby and flashbacks about Summer Rose).

- God of Light / God of Darkness : I don't think RWBY is just another "good vs evil" show. We still don't know all the motivations of every vilain but so far it is not just all about "having power and destroying everything". Cinder unfortunetaly seems to be like it but I believe the story will be much more realistic with Salem (and I'm also looking forward about how Emerald will evolve).

Almost all characters are made of several shades of grey, not just white or black (Raven is a good example, Ozpin also seems to). And this perfectly illustrates the common creation of the two Gods (mankind). So far, I find the show very coherent on this subject.

About the Gods themselves, why should we believe that Qrow tells the truth ? He told the story based on what Ozpin told him ("But if you believe Ozpin, etc...). Personally, I would ask for more evidences concerning the origins of mankind, dust, aura, the relics and the Grimms but I would'nt mind if it is not the case (the World of Remnant series is enough I guess). But if the two Gods really exist, then yes, where the hell are they and what are they doing ? What is the real story between them, Salem and Ozpin ? Will we hear from them if Salem is defeated ?

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33717512 - 5 months ago

One thing I would kind of like to see next volume is a fight scene involving the Mistral airships. Those things kind of got shat on hard in Volume 5, but considering that they're used by the police to apprehend suspects, by the military/border patrol to patrol for Grimm and by civilians to travel in the Grimm infested wilderness they have to be able to do more than just carry passengers and explode. They don't look armed but then neither did the Bullheads in Volume 1 or the passenger ship in Volume 4. And those airships did hold of the Lancer swarm for quite some time before they got overwhelmed (though they did have a Huntress) so they could have ran out of ammo or something by the time they entered the scene.

With old school boat design those skyships have a broadside of weapons could make sense. But instead of having cannons it would make a lot more sense and be a lot cooler if they had some kind of missile array instead. Something like the airship from Final Fantasy 10 for example. Maybe add some big machine guns like those village defenses. Or some lightning turrets at the top deck or the sides, more mystical weapons could fit pretty well with Mistral's aesthetic and the more fantasy style design of their airships, compared to Vale and Atlas more technological looking aircraft.

I'm hoping for at least one big Grimm fight in Volume 6 and I think having it be a big aerial battle could work. Dread in the Air had one of the best fights in Volume 5 and it could be cool to see a airborne fight that's less of a chase scene and more of a straight up battle in the sky. Like the heroes having to break through a blockage of Grimm surrounding Mistral or something like that. Have one or more skyships with all the heroes going to Atlas on board (and maybe Team SSSN on a ship that ends up crashing, forcing them to stay behind in Mistral) vs hordes of Nevermores, Griffons, Lancers and maybe a Sea/Sky Feilong or some new airborne boss Grimm. A proper team battle that can make up a bit for the lost opportunity of the Battle of Haven. 

Plus no more walking from Kingdom to Kingdom. Use airships or cars or something, something that puts the focus less on the journey so that there's more time to focus on the destinations. Maybe stop by Windpath or Kuchinashi in order to get repairs or something and then have some plot involving Salem's human minions there (NINJA ATTACK!). 

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33718992 - 5 months ago

Hm. Had some thoughts on a spellcaster style Grimm. Maybe base it on the Lampads?

The Lampads are the nymphs of the Underworld in Greek mythology. Companions of Hecate, the Greek goddess of witchcraft and crossroads, they were a gift from Zeus for Hecate's loyalty in the Titanomachy. They bear torches and accompany Hecate on her night-time travels and hauntings. Some accounts tell of how the light of the Lampads' torches has the power to drive one to madness. The Lampads were probably the daughters or sons of various Underworld gods, Daimones, river gods, or Nyx. The Lampads' Roman name is nymphae Avernales ("infernal nymphs").

You could have a sort of humanoid Grimm with some form of torch as its weapon. Appearance wise it could be sort of similar to this, have a Grimm mask that gives it a creepy blank face, and I think I like the idea of giving it the ability to hover slightly above the ground, which could be upgraded to full on flight for the evolved version (Lampade Hecate maybe?). Not sure if I want the torch to be more of a regular torch like this, or one of these hanging brazier things. Maybe both? It could have one in each hand or have a kusarigama style weapon where the brazier is connected to the torch by a chain and used as a medium/long range weapon. I kind of like the idea of the Lampad shooting fire from its torch by swinging it while using the brazier as a ball on chain. On the other hand I also like the idea of it pulling fire from the torch to shape it into fireballs to throw, firebrander style. Either could work.

The madness aspect might be a bit much, though maybe if its reserved for just the evolved version, turn it into a real boss. It could even work as a great example of why Huntsmen are considered so valuable. The Lampad could have some kind of flare/flash attack that shines bright light that induces temporary madness.Have the effect go full Symbol of Insanity on civilians and about 50% of all mooks affected while the other 50% of the mooks and all Huntsmen student tiers only get a major headache or something as their Aura struggles to protect them from the effect, meanwhile lesser Huntsmen might struggle with the headache thing but veterans like Qrow just shrug it off completely. 

Basically establish a hierarchy that shows that having a few super elite warriors is better than having many mooks with big guns, since some Grimm have abilities that can take out entire platoons at once while being unable to even affect proper Huntsmen. 

Another idea I had for the evolved Lampad was to use the combined torch and brazier style Lampad but evolve it. The torch would turn into a full on Firebrand style staff while the brazier would go from being attached to the torch and held to instead being attached to the Lampad's "belt" and would just float around on their own. Then when the Lampad flies into the air each brazier could serve as a focal point for one of those magic circles the Geist made and then shoot beams of fire. The regular Lampad would be equivalent to a flamethrower/rocket launcher using infantry soldier, while the evolved version would be more like a flying gunship, raining death from above. The staff could also be used to fire massive streams of fire or giant fireballs.

In keeping with the squishy wizard theme though and to balance it a bit against other Grimm types it might be far more fragile than other Grimm of a equivalent power-level. 

Alternatively maybe just base the fireball chucking infantry Grimm on the mythical Salamander and have it spit fireballs and secrete hallucination inducing toxins. [shrug]

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33719022 - 5 months ago

Am I the only one who thinks Weiss needs a new outfit? I mean, Weiss looks good in what she wears now, but it's not exactly made for combat, nor does it look the part

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33719027 - 5 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Personally, my favorite Weiss outfit was the White slayer jacket. Sophisticated but still frilly. And no, you're not. Weiss currently looks like Elsa if Disney ever decided to do a Dreary Princess Ballerina toy line.  

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33719030 - 5 months ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

In reply to Dinobot01

Ugh. I remember seeing a really cool blue dress/armor/musketeer uniform or something fanart of Weiss a few years back but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called or where exactly I saw it.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33719184 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

In reply to tin-foilhat

Then RT really should consider giving her an upgrade in fashion

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33719303 - 5 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Unfortunately with the 3D format that RT is working with I doubt they're going to change her outfit any time soon. I'd expect Volume 7 at the earliest.

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33719337 - 5 months ago

man. Weiss+trenchcoat=badass.

wont happen cause blake is already rocking it though.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33719344 - 5 months ago

I think Jaune could use a better outfit too. One the makes him look a bit more intimidating. Maybe.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33719407 - 5 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

The short sleeve hoodie isn't doing him any favors. I'm still not sure how all his armor pieces stay on, some of them don't look like they're attached to anything.

• user-5a98361f8663d

user-5a98361f8663d

#33719425 - 5 months ago

will all this talk about there close and armor i have to say i dont see them changing there look's in vol 6 the best i can see is that if or when they get to atlis they probably ware something more winter friendly until they get in the city.

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33719428 - 5 months ago

What if Jaunes armor is woven into the hoodie, and we get a.. OH MY GOD SHOPPING FOR NEW GEAR EPISODE! What if we got to see jaune buying new armor entirely, and we get a complete remodel!

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33719429 - 5 months ago

probably in atlas

• user-5a98361f8663d

user-5a98361f8663d

#33719445 - 5 months ago

well atlas is the most high tec out of the kingdom so it safe to say they figer out how to keep the city warm with some tecno mambo jumbo that is why i think there going to need something warm to ware wile out side the city expansively for yang do to one of her arms is made out of metal and if it not insulated them we all know what ice cold metal dose to flash if you catch my drift.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33719493 - 5 months ago

Honestly, I think Jaune needs a new outfit. I'm hoping he get something like Black Panthers suit where it has protection woven into the suit. I would really love it if he got rid of the hoodie. He needs an outfit that makes him seem more like a huntsmen and not someone playing around with his wardrobe

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33719583 - 5 months ago

In reply to 4654ryan

A late reply but the Japanese dub described Dust as "power of the Gods," which suggests to me Dust is related to the Gods. But I think it also comes from the moon? Of course the Silver-Eyes are connected to the moon. 

• Raiu94

Raiu94

#33719599 - 5 months ago

What I really want to see is for the return of character into the show. Sure, things have been plot heavy recently, and the fight quality has started to go up, but Volume 5 suffered the same flaws as Volume 4. Some of the best scenes in Volume 5 were of the characters just being themselves, and I'd love to see team RWBY kicking butt and showing us why we love the characters in the first place.

Beyond that, I'd really enjoy seeing jerk!Neptune get his comeuppance again.

• notvai4

notvai4

#33719618 - 5 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

I mean, that's almost the entire cast. He at least has some armor. That's more than anyone who isn't on team CRDL. If anything, he needs less armor to look more like the average huntsman. Not that I have a problem with his armor, it just seems silly to single him out when we so many other characters that are just in plain clothes.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33719635 - 5 months ago

In reply to notvai4

My point exactly. Why does RT seem to signal Jaune for abuse for these things? Jaune needs some new gear

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33719637 - 5 months ago

In reply to Dinobot01

No you are missing the point of the hoodie as well as Jaune's character.

He isnt some cool guy that everyone should think he is cool. He is a character that comes from being a nobody into being a hero.

His hoodie is him still holding onto who he was because that Hoodie is basically reminding him of Pyrrha.

He still DEEPLY cares about her so he isnt going to get rid of it. His gear is also him slowly gathering as he grows and develops.

So no I disagree with your view on him.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33719642 - 5 months ago

Hey, first post in god knows how long. I love extended hospital stays, don't you all?

Anyways, if I had to pick one thing I want out of Vol 6 more than any other is Im seriously hoping that if were going into this Atlas arc we don't spend TOO long on the getting there part of it. For all it's flaws, Volume 5 did pick the pace up quite nicely, and I'd like it to continue along those lines.

Basically I don't want a repeat of RNJR's arc from 4 with a bigger cast.