Forums > RWBY

The Irritation that is Raven Branwing--Why Does She Exist as a Character?

Posts (193)

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33702259 - 7 months ago

So, I get people like--or more accurately--wanted to like this character; but with Volume 5 now over and the character having fallen flat on her face (almost literally), the question must be asked: Does this character even need to exist?

Let us look at achievements:

She saved Yang from Neo.

She became a Spring Maiden.

She removed Cinder from the list of dangerous threats (yeah, that one better not be permanent...)

Know the failures:

She abandoned her child.

She let her child take the Relic of Haven to keep herself out of danger.

She opened a portal for Cinder to hit Ruby with a fire ball.

She wanted to kill Qrow, but couldn't overpower him and decided to default to stealing relic with Cinder.

Could not even work up the courage to steal the relic.

Seriously, that last one is pathetic for a bandit tribe leader. But lets not even think about those losers....

This characters faults outway her achievements. We were given some back story to her character, but it only makes her look worse.

--She was afraid of Salem and ran. Why? What did Salem do that made her so afraid?

Oh, wait. That is it. With a character as low as this, the way up is...well, up. Why have a "neutral" position character if you are immediately going to make her go to the heroes side? (I am assuming she went to Tai at that last scene after the credits, which means hero way we go.)

What does Raven bring to this show that would be far more suited on the already present villains? Why is she in the show at all?

• RavenBranwen325

RavenBranwen325 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold 走开

#33702584 - 7 months ago

You spelled "Branwen" wrong, BTW.

• RavenBranwen325

RavenBranwen325 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold 走开

#33702588 - 7 months ago

Raven is my favorite character and if you ask me this character does need to exist. She's kind of the reason why I'm still watching the anime. I strongly disagree with your topic.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33702701 - 7 months ago

In reply to RAVENBRANWEN1980

Okay. I'm sorry for misspelling Branwen, but some of the names are difficult. May I ask why you disagree?

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33702950 - 7 months ago

In reply to SirSailorStar

Got this funny feeling that this is either a villain fanboy in the vein of that Cinderfall poster....or it's an alt-account of that same poster.

But you ARE right in that Raven's failings far outweigh any good things about her, to the point that the other characters shouldn't give her the benefit of the doubt, yang especially.  I'm sorry, but it's a hard sell to try to make Yang distrust Ozpin, then immediately come on on Cinder's side of the conflict, and the fact that she did so out of her own selfishness only underscores the idea she's out for herself above all else.  Quite frankly, I can't really buy the idea that she has people she cares about, the only thing lending any weight to that is her portals, and even then, she basically uses everyone around her like a resource.  WOW, it's almost like they gave her something incredibly specific to "emotionally" tie her to other characters so they could do whatever they wanted with her otherwise.

Raven herself could tell me straight-up that she genuinely cares about certain people, that her portals are a manifestation of that caring, and I'd just point to everything else she's done and tell her "I do not believe you".  Once again, it's another hard sell to try and tell me that she genuinely cares about her brother, then have her go after him with killing intent.

The woman's an abuser and a sociopath, through and through.  In the end, even her "loved ones" are disposable to her, and it wasn't even a hard choice for the most part.  Not gonna lie, the fact that she cannot get back to her tribe (due to Vernal's death) likely played a part in letting Yang take the Relic.  It's safer in numbers, something she no longer has at the moment.  Just one more time that Raven's using her "loved ones" as a resource.

• dorkygee

dorkygee

#33703061 - 7 months ago

Does anyone here like or care about Summer Rose? Do you think she should be reincarnated? Tell me your thoughts.

• dorkygee

dorkygee

#33703078 - 7 months ago

I think the reason Raven killed Cinder is because Cinder killed Vernal. I Actually do think she cares about people like her tribe for instance. I do think she's changed. She showed her emotions with Yang and said that she was sorry. Then she returns to Patch. I do agree she failed at a lot, not to mention as a mother but to the people who cared most about her. She does care about people. She's mad at Qrow for leaving the tribe. She told Yang in Known By it's Song that she'll answer all the questions she has and they can have a "fresh start" and was hurt when Yang rejected it. Sociopath or not she still cares about some people. I think all of this wrong doing is an act of fear to Salem. I think it's clear that Summer's death is a result of Salem's doing and Raven does not want that fate. Remember Salem is killing all the professional hunters and huntresses and Raven is doing her best to survive. According to her there is no shame in that. Giving Yang the relic makes her less of a target than she already is. According to Cinder the only reason she is still alive is because she has something Salem wants. I do think using Vernal as a decoy was a mistake. I do agree she is using her "loved ones" as resources. She returns to Patch maybe to get a fresh start as an non-sociopath. I dunno. These are just my theories on this subject based on what you guys said. But for some reason words fail me.     

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703122 - 7 months ago

Hmmm....capitalization of the character name, followed by a four-digit number, joined the same day, using the same cover photo (until noticing that RAVEN changed theirs), friends with each other....yeah, looking very good that these are alt-accounts of the same poster.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33703152 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

I am not an alt account, thank you very much. I am not that Cinder poster. Just because I mentioned Cinder does make me an alt account. And also, I am not a villain fanboy. I see no point in a neutral character when said character is going to default to hero status almost immediately.

Good points by the way. You are the first to actually debate my thought.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703156 - 7 months ago

I should have made that clearer in my first post: I think that the RAVENBRAWNWEN1980 poster and CINDERFALL are the same person, just as I think that RAVEN and SUMMERROSE1680 are the same person.  I was not trying to imply that you were CINDERFALL.

To be clear: I think that CINDERFALL is the "main" account, and RAVEN and SUMMER are the alts.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33703157 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Ah I see...

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703159 - 7 months ago

And to be brutally honest, I think that the Semblance defense is the result of something that has now effectively become an artifact of the series (that Semblances reflect some aspect of the user's personality), but is still being propped up as an important thing, solely to limit her use of the portals.  It's the ONLY defense, and it's a weak one at best.  Again, STILL waiting to hear why the Schnees get a hereditary Semblance when that otherwise deviated from that concept about Semblances.  In short, I'm not even buying the idea that her Semblance reflects her genuine care of those she can port to.

• DekZek

DekZek

#33703164 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Maybe it works in reverse and it’s who shows genuine care about her? Which would make things interesting as by breaking people's trust, she weakens her powers by them no longer caring about her.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33703167 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

If Raven had been presented as a loving mother from her beginnings, I would have accepted her Semblance. I currently see her Semblance as "I'm loosing? I can runaway. BYE!" type of thing. Similar to "I win now" when Weiss summons her knight. Its kind of a Dues Ex machina thing for an immediate happy ending as opposed to actually giving a character a reason to fight and improve. I think Rooster Teeth is just afraid of fandom rage since killing Pyrah, who probably had her death written from the start with the lack of character she had (she was a Jaune fanboy and a Mary Sue who got flaws the very volume she died in--Ruby at least has had her flaws from the beginning to go with her Mary Sue eye power).

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33703171 - 7 months ago

In reply to DekZek

That would be interesting. But, then how could she have went to Tai at all? Surely, he would have no trust for her left at all with what she has done to him and Yang.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703326 - 7 months ago

In reply to DekZek

If that were true, then she'd have lost the ability to port to Qrow long ago.

Oh, I was DARING them to kill Weiss when Cinder skewered her.  Since she's been nothing but a Supporting-tier character the entire time, you can kill her without really resolving her personal arcs.  I mean, isn't that one of the biggest defenses of Pyrrha's death: "no one is safe, reflects real life"?  Yeah, I think we can put that one to bed as a giant "NOPE".  But the thing with Pyrrha is that the writers basically led the fans to believe that she, along with her team, were Main-tier characters, right alongside team RWBY.  That DOES carry with it a basic expectation that they are going to have the highest ability to drive the narrative, and in season 3, we thought she was getting that.  I mean, that was the equivalent of going "Hey Harry, yer a WIZARD" in this show.  The outrage from at least the crowd I tend to run with is NOT from the subjectivity of killing a fan favorite, but from the objectivity of noticing all the narrative and mechanical flaws in doing so in the manner they chose to (if you read the stuff I post on that topic, you'll notice that I take myself out of the conversation completely).  But that's an essay for another time.  And the real difference between Pyrrha and Ruby is twofold.  One, Pyrrha's flaws were more subtle, where Ruby's were front and center.  Two, Ruby herself has yet to suffer ANY real consequences for showcasing her flaws.

In the end, we now see how far the writers are willing to go to rescue team RWBY from anything (and that might very well include Jaune's new power).  Then again, I was calling that shit out since season 3, so....

Finally, if they really ARE worried about fan outrage, then I think that I'd lose any remaining respect I might still have for them as professionals.  Supposedly, they said that fan wants aren't going to dictate how this show plays out.  Being afraid of fan outage flies right in the face of that.  And at that point, that's one of the things that will make me walk away from any Rooster Teeth product.  Comes with the concept of having standards, and those came with the fact that I had good writers in my immediate family, one that had the professional connections to make it big in the comic book world.  Been around this stuff my whole life, and I've had influences on me from the BEST around.

• dorkygee

dorkygee

#33703357 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

I changed my account name to confirm that I am a different person than CINDERFALL and RAVENBRANWEN1980. I am not an alt account. This is my main account. The first name was a coincidence.  I am just a RWBY fan who favors Summer and possibly Raven as her favorite characters. I dunno if I consider Raven as one of my faves yet. And I don't know why she exists.  

• RavenBranwen325

#33703424 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

YOU think just because we have similar usernames we're all connected?! The only reason It says I made this account on the 7th of February because the time on the computer I made it on said 7th instead of 6th. Either you've lost your spine or you're a lost cause.   

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703449 - 7 months ago

An earlier post of mine listed all the details as to why I think you and SUMMER are the same poster, but here it is in its entirety for you: 

"Hmmm....capitalization of the character name, followed by a four-digit number, joined the same day, using the same cover photo (until noticing that RAVEN changed theirs), friends with each other....yeah, looking very good that these are alt-accounts of the same poster."

So no, it's not just that you had similar usernames, it was a good bit more that led me to that conclusion.

• RavenBranwen325

#33703459 - 7 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Well, it's not true so you can DROP IT. SUMMER is a close friend of mine-not virtually, in real life-and likes the team STRQ. I told her to type her username like mine because I knew it wouldn't be taken. Her favorite character is Summer Rose. Did it ever come to mind that a teenager and her friend can have a similar usernames on Rooster Teeth? If you understand any of this you won't speak of this again. 

• dorkygee

dorkygee

#33703463 - 7 months ago

Does this mean I get change my username back to SUMMERROSE1680, now? 

• RavenBranwen325

#33703465 - 7 months ago

In reply to fluffydragon787

Yes. I just hope they understand we're friends.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703486 - 7 months ago

Oh, I considered it, just that I filed that possibility away as "highly unlikely", given the aforementioned list.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33703487 - 7 months ago

Either way, my comments about Raven as a character stand.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33703488 - 7 months ago

In reply to SUMMERROSE1680

Well, this became a flame fest real quick...Really sorry all of that happened. I was certainly not expecting a Raven debate to have this conversation....

Anyway, that is over and done now so...let's move on. Shall we?