Forums > RWBY

The Irritation that is Raven Branwing--Why Does She Exist as a Character?

Posts (193)

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33712349 - 6 months ago

In reply to kaijuguy19

Fair enough.  Just don't be surprised if Yang starts out the next season comparing Blake to Raven.  After all, we DO know that Yang isn't exactly a rational thinker.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33712351 - 6 months ago

In reply to FennecAlbain

That is a possibility. I just wish it wasn't something that would be explored in the very next volume. Raven goes to Tai at the end of volume 5 and I imagine he is going to try getting her to stop running.

• kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19

#33712365 - 6 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Given that we've already seen Yang still having problems with her emotional and mental state during the camp scene and when Yang was talking about her feelings to Weiss about it I'm already expecting her to not be fully opened to it yet.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33712430 - 6 months ago

In reply to FennecAlbain

She has a reason, alright. The fact that writers made it a weak-ass reason at the en of Vol5 is circumstantial. 

In reply to Zalph

I don't know. The fact that she left her baby daughter without a second thought, and later saved her life just because she felt forced to, smells a lot like rejection to me. 

In reply to Atalante

And I see why you liked it. I just don't share it. 

In reply to kaijuguy19

I really want to see how they make their meeting, because there's a lot of much needed explaining and venting out. But I fear they'll play it as a standard tearjerker. 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33712439 - 6 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

Not gonna lie, I'd be impressed if Tai belts out a line like "The last time I saw you, you walked out the door saying, AND I QUOTE: 'I got what I needed out of you'"  Remember, most assume that Raven cares in some twisted way.  This would show conclusively that she would even go so far as to act the part to get what she wants.

• SirSailorStar

SirSailorStar

#33712458 - 6 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

That would make my eyes water, if that happened...

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33712493 - 6 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

This could give back her character some credibility,I'd say. 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33712500 - 6 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

I'd think so, if only because they spent so much time building up the "I don't care about anyone else but me" aspect of her.

• gothh

gothh

#33714768 - 5 months ago

About Blake  :

I never seen her as a coward. Sure she run away but not because she afraid. She run form her parent because she believe in the white fang cause, she run form the white fang because she disagree with their method and she run away from team RWBY because she think it was the best way to protect them. 

Those aren't the action of a coward, on the contrary it's require some courage to leave the comfort of your love one for a greater cause, who'd you call Oscar a coward for abandoning his mother alone in her farm ?

I don't think Yang think she a coward either, she just angry at her because she can't process someone leaving her (for obvious good reason). More than anyone Yang need to know why Blake left and once Weiss give her a reason her anger turn to fear that she might not come back, fear that she fail to help her when needed.

Now that team RWBY is back together the only thing Yang need to forgive her is the assurance that it won't happen again which she'll have because Blake know she made a mistake (thanks to Sun) like she know she made a mistake not listening to her parent back when the white fang change politics.

About Raven : 

If she run just because she was afraid of Salem then she a coward. But I don't think it's that simple. Sure she most likely afraid of Salem (like almost everybody who know her) but she also lost hope, she didn't believe in Ozpin cause. 

We don't know what Ozpin ask Team STRQ to do, but it's look like they was on the offensive (unlike know when they just defend their city, so far). 

Raven didn't believe Ozpin and co can win against Salem so she leave the front-line to take a defensive stand even if that means abandoning her daughter. Forcing Tai to leave the fight too because he had raise their child alone.

If you were a soldier who desert because you believe your general have the wrong tactic and going to send you to your death does that make you a coward ?

Only if you didn't do something, if you didn't come with a better plan, a better tactic, that prove you were right and the general was wrong. 

The fact is Ozpin optimistic tactic have fail, this trust in general ironwood and Lionheart lead to hack robot and treason, his teaching method for his student lead to Pyrrha and Amber death and before that the flee of the former spring maiden and Summer death. His symbol of union in the Vytal festival lead to the fall of Beacon.

While Raven ruthless tactic have success. Her way of leading had make her tribe stronger than ever, people capable of surviving in the wild even when it's full of grimm. Her heartless choice to kill the weak allow her to find the spring maiden before Salem and Ozpin. Her despicable method of lies and deception make possible to lure Cinder into a trap, kill her and secure the relic.

I know I'm being relentless on Ozpin and understanding on Raven but I try to make a point. War is ruthless, unfair and ugly. Unfortunately in war the one who survive are the one like Raven not the one like Summer. 

That's the ugliness of the world, the bad way works better than the good way.

However I still believe in Ozpin way. The heroes way. Heroes are stupid, unrealistic and candid but that make them able to do thing everybody thing are impossible to do. The only thing the good one can do better than the bad one is defeated the evil one.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33714781 - 5 months ago

In reply to gothh

.....Makin' a LOT of assumptions there.....

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33715952 - 5 months ago

About Blake: That's not what she herself said:

Yang: I'm sure you'd figure it out. You're not one to back down from a challenge, Blake. Blake: But I am! I do it all the time! When you learned I was a Faunus, I didn't know what to do, so I ran! When I realized my oldest partner had become a monster, I ran! Even my Semblance! I was born with the ability to leave behind a shadow of myself; an empty copy that takes the hit while I run away!

[V2E10, "Mountain Glenn"]

Blake makes it very clear that she runs away from her problems, because she either doesn't want to face them, or is too afraid to do so.

Now, I do believe Yang though she was a coward, back when Blake left them. Right now she possibly wants to believe she had her reasons. But we shall see about that next volume (hopefully). Yang is angry about all that. That's why I want to see how her reunion is done. But now I fear it will be just sugar and hugs, and everything's back to normal. Which would be awful.

About Raven: I tend to agree with you, to an extend. I believe Raven is afraid of what Salem can do, and realized Oz's tactics were hopeless, which led her to leave everything behind. But this would make sense, if she kept her own way, as a third faction, so to speak. Making her join Cinder in the attack on Haven doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless there's some very good reason, they haven't disclosed yet.

• gothh

gothh

#33716209 - 5 months ago

In reply to FettucCR

Well I didn't denied Blake tendency to run away. I just say running away from problem does not necessary make you a coward, not if you came back later better prepare. Plus the fact she admit she someone who "back down from a challenge" and is bother by it and willing to share that "problem" with her friend prove, for me, that she's not a coward.

About Raven : joining with Cinder was a trick, she know it was the best chance against Salem plan and she clearly say to Cinder that she not helping Salem.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33716210 - 5 months ago

In reply to gothh

Quite frankly, the only reason why Blake did anything about the White Fang is because it became apparent that that problem was going to follow her anywhere she went.  Hard to find an escape from something that can't be escaped from.  Kitty became a cornered mouse.  So, I still can't buy the whole "she's willing to work on that problem" since the only time she did, she wasn't given any other choice to.  Even when she was hurting herself over the White Fang's activities in Vale in the second season, it was more because Torchwick was leading them than the White Fang itself.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33716332 - 5 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

In reply to gothh

I agree with Wright. Blake wasn't planning on dealing with the Fang, until after they maimed her best friend, destroyed her school and followed her back home. Let's see it this way: towards the end of Vol1, she ran from her team and into Sun, right? But Blake showed no signs of trying to get back, not until Sun talked some sense into her. 

So, I cannot believe your quote, I just say running away from problem does not necessary make you a coward, not if you came back later better prepare. While the main idea is correct, it doesn't apply to Blake, because she didn't mean to come back better prepared. She also ran away from Adam, and I doubt she meant to come back to him better prepared.

• tin-foilhat
  • AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33716551 - 5 months ago

In reply to tin-foilhat

Hm. Considering their scenes together, Ilia's onesided romance, Blake's scenes with Sun and Yang's talk with Weiss I think the seeds have been sown more towards Yang being the one who is in love with Blake while Blake might be straight, and that Yang's feelings for Blake made the abandonment extra hurtful.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33716594 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

In reply to tin-foilhat

Since I'm not a shipper, I don't analyze characters in such way. There is a seed of ship here. But how it will happen, is completely beyond me.

• tin-foilhat

tin-foilhat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33717079 - 5 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

Eh, when I see Sun and Blake Menagarie arc scenes together I see it more as Blake trying to not repeat the same mistakes with Sun as she did with Blake. Sun is a support character and a romantic foil for Yang, a MAIN character. His character arc has been largely to showcase that Blake has a type, cheerful blonds, that subtly foreshadows the her true love is Yang. Notice all the times Sun tries to get Yang to open up it always comes back to Yang from V2 onward? Sun tries to get her to go the dance but Yang is the one that ends up convincing her. Blake is pushing all her friends away until Sun points out Yang is more hurt by Blake's rejection than her injury. Yang is the one the writers have Adam target, not Sun, that completely destroys any progress of recovery Blake has made since coming to Beacon. 

In old films during the Haze code, LGBT characters would be showcased and have their scenes directly mirror the heterosexual couple's in an effort to get crap past the radar. Both Jaune and Yang were hurt when Pyrrha and Blake got targeted by Cinder and Adam respectively.