Forums > RWBY

Rooster Teeth Sucks

Posts (28)

• ValentineHeart

ValentineHeart

#33715357 - 5 months ago

Now just to be clear, I'm not saying their shows suck, just Rooster Teeth itself. Mainly their website, not even Rooster Teeth, that title may be a little Click Baity but, look guys, this website is a hot mess. It's actually more convenient to watch a volume on Youtube than on RT First, do you know how sad that is?

You know what's fun? Watching RWBY, or Red vs Blue, or whatever else you're into?

You know what's not fun? Having social media buttons on your screen while you're watching it, having to deal with 5 minute episodes with intros and credits and other crap every time if you try to binge watch anything, and having to constantly get up to re-maximize your window because RT exits full screen mode every time it plays a new video.

You know what else isn't fun? Watching characters stand around filling up screen time when they're supposed to be fighting. Volume 5 of RWBY was awesome in a lot of ways but it was also just awful in a lot of ways, and most of those ways involve characters just standing around spouting pointless exposition breaking the Show don't Tell rule.

You know what isn't engaging? When you're hardly shown anything about a place and you're expected to care what happens to it, with nothing that provides any context to make you care. I'm talking about Haven, World of Remnant made it sound so cool and Rooster Teeth was in such a hurry to just end the Volume with as little animation as possible that they never even showed us the lower levels.

And did RT sabotage the ending of RWBY by diverting resources to the new Outcast in the Oasis show (or whatever it's called) because it's a cool show, I really like it don't get me wrong, but if this is how Rooster Teeth is going to treat one of it's most popular shows five Volumes in why would I want to become invested in a new one?

So seriously, Rooster Teeth I love your shows, but your website sucks and I have concerns about the future of RWBY because of the way you guys botched Volume 5.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33715400 - 5 months ago

In reply to ValentineHeart

For me, the website issues are there, mainly because it's hell trying to navigate to these very boards now, and even more so to still be logged in when I call up one of them via my search-bar.  As far as RWBY season 5 goes, the seeds of that were sown MUCH earlier than its beginning.  That's what happens when you split the party.  That's what happens when you decide three seasons in that you want a different direction, trash the set, and ask for a mulligan.  That's what happens when they have the idea that the series was going to survive on Rule of Cool alone.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33715414 - 5 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Tell me about it. 404s and bad gateways everywhere. This, coupled with fan dissatisfaction with Vol.5 begs the question; do they give a damn about the fan base? Does anyone give them negative feedback?

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33715415 - 5 months ago

• dasshift

dasshift

#33715419 - 5 months ago

I mean... it can only get better from here, right?... RIGHT?

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33715423 - 5 months ago

In reply to A-Tank

There's definitely a large section of RT's fanbase that thinks that, as far as RWBY is concerned, that they cannot do any wrong.  We know enough now to say otherwise, as well as to say that they have been doing wrong from the start.

• The-Batman-Who-Laughs

The-Batman-Who-Laughs

#33715433 - 5 months ago

I can't get their website to work on my laptop, so that sucks.

Also agree with WrightKnight about Rwby.

• Velrak

Velrak

#33715438 - 5 months ago

Props for opening that much needed discussion ! Great title especially, very catchy indeed ;)

I don't like the new website either. Not pleasant to navigate through and 404 very often yeah...

And I completely agree on RBWY Vol5. My least favorite so far. So much potential unexploited !

I'm concerned about where RWBY is going, it has lost a big part of its essence (RWBY Chibi too since season 3 in my opinion).

But does RT at least care about the fans' expectations ? 

Do they read some of these forums actually or show somewhere that they are aware ?

I would have prefered to hear Vol6 would start somewhere in 2019, not this fall. If RT really wants to put back RWBY on track, then take the goddam time required to !!

• ValentineHeart

ValentineHeart

#33715443 - 5 months ago

In reply to dasshift

I mean... it can only get better from here, right?... RIGHT?

Ideally it will only get better from here, but only if RT recognizes that there are problems and tries to address them. Another possibility is that RT will be insulated from negative feedback and fail to own any problems or just not care enough about quality to improve anything. I think there's a Griff in all of us.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33715464 - 5 months ago

In reply to Velrak

To be honest, if they had really wanted the dark and scary to be the mainstay of the show, that is what they should have done from the start.  Still have the humor, but they should not have put forth a primary of "happy-go-lucky Soul Eater".  You'll notice that the humor is all but gone now, to the point where the early advertisements of RWBY are lying about what the show is now.  Even the shonen genre, which is pretty much mocked by the modern audience, INCLUDING THIS ONE, for its basic formula of story-telling, gets this one right a lot.  Naruto opened up the severity of the ninja world to the main cast early with the Zabuza arc, Soul Eater (which RWBY takes a LOT of cues from) has the cast trolling the town for Kishin and Witches in the first episode, those things kill within the town, and it introduced Medusa, Crona, and Ragnarok early, so the idea of Medusa staging an invasion on the DWMA (and effectively succeeding in her objective) doesn't come as a major tone shift (and it helps that the rest of the cast were actually trying to do something about it, rather than shifting the responsibility off to the by-comparison untrained rookies, only relying on them when they absolutely needed to).

Sorry, but the mistakes did start with Monty's choice to trust RT with RWBY in the first place.  For the scale that this story was going to take, a company that only had both the experience and resources to run short episodes, both in runtime per, AND in count per season, was not the best choice.  A lot of these things ended up undermining the benefit of Monty having the creative freedom to do what he wanted, and I do have to acknowledge that he himself never had the writing experience required to write a story on this scale.  It is, sadly, RT's reputation and Monty's name that both fueled the early rise of RWBY, and is what currently keeps it afloat.  But for all I have mocked and derided the RWBY fandom the entirety of the two+ years I have contributed to these discussions, they ARE taking notice of the flaws, flaws that have been there from the start, flaws that had been noticed AND pointed out by people like me, but had been mocked themselves for daring to claim that things were heavily flawed (after all, the Pyrrha crowd doesn't get any more flak for holding their perspective, now do they, to use an example).

This is a show that has flown under the radar of not being exposed to a general audience, and thus has not been critically examined by the critics on that level.  I can only imagine what would happen if it does enter those crosshairs.

• ValentineHeart

ValentineHeart

#33715470 - 5 months ago

I credit the dark turn in Volume 3 at least partially to Monty even though he was dead, because I remember his influence on Red vs Blue.

Some of it was arguably a bit too heavy for Red vs Blue, like the final confrontation with The Director, but RWBY was being set up for heavy scenes like that from the start, it's even in the song lyrics of the trailers. Without the more light spirited stuff there's no gravity to the more heavy stuff though, for things to feel like they've gotten dark they first have to start more upbeat and have breathers. RWBY did that well for the first three Volumes.

Even in Volume 3 there was a long build up to what was going down and it really climaxed at the end, they opened with the Arena Trope that always works so well in Anime and had little moments like the Ramen Stand scene. Imagine if RWBY hadn't had scenes like the food fight and all of that before the fall of Beacon. No one would have cared about the fall of Beacon, it would have had no gravity, there would have been no weight behind anything that happened. I feel like Rooster Teeth may have forgotten the importance of those sorts of scenes at some point.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33715490 - 5 months ago

In reply to ValentineHeart

Song lyrics are not the in-series narrative, so that is disregarded.  It's about presenting what is advertised, and what was advertised in the beginning was "happy-go-lucky Soul Eater".  It was about showcasing the harshness of the world as a whole, and they failed to do that early, only having the Grimm be a threat when it was required for them to be.

Even now, the world of RWBY really doesn't exist outside the main cast's little bubble.  There's no real attempt at fleshing the world out beyond the bare minimum, beyond the token attempt that is "World of Remnant".  That should have been our big cue of "we aren't going to world-build inside the narrative".  Hell, they even admitted that they don't want to construct a coherent timeline of events because "that would create plot holes", never mind that doing so is a key component of keeping continuity within the narrative, a critical part of any author's story bible.

Frankly, it's really starting to look like they're just making it up as they go along, and re-writing the rules of their set-pieces to fit whatever "coolness" they mentally cooked up.  Tell me when they provide an explanation for why the Schnees get a hereditary Semblance, when everything else we've either heard or seen says that Semblances are a product of the personality of its wielder.  I think they cooked up the idea that Aura needs to have conscious thought behind keeping it up as a defense because they had the scene of Vernal being chumped by Cinder, and needed her Aura down to accommodate it, despite us having numerous points of reinforcement of "Aura is a passive defense".  At least Neo being able to shank Yang while the latter is unconscious made some sense, as Yang could not perceive an attack for her Aura to passively protect her from.

At this point, it's not a matter of if a fan notices the flaws of RWBY that have been present since the beginning of the series, it's when they finally notice.

• menicolaq

menicolaq FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold @menicolaq

#33715504 - 5 months ago

We definitely get Bad Feedback. Believe me - I have been getting roasted on Reddit and Now Here. We do listen to your concerns - the website will get improvements like yourself and me everyday. Our team of 20 which started with just 5 guys less than a year ago made the new site and added some new social interactions ~ including adding the ability to chat during a livestream. Revels and I would love to have you come to a user test or leave your feedback here https://roosterteeth-engineering.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/2. We are also working on a new community site which will be launched later this year - you can check out Mike Quinn's post about community here https://roosterteeth.com/post/51644427 

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33715510 - 5 months ago

In reply to menicolaq

The one thing I can note is that there is no easy way to access any of the discussion topics.  Right now, the only way I have been able to get to them is by typing the titles into my search-bar.  Other than that, it's been accessing my profile from the main page.  That opens it up with the old format, then I go to the "View Dismissed Notifications" tab under that, then navigating normally to get to the main boards.

• Velrak

Velrak

#33715529 - 5 months ago

Access to episodes is better with the new site. But the quality of videos is still low and loading is not that easy. I'm still sticking to Youtube to watch any RT content.

But I agree with WrightKnight about finding the discussion topics ; it has become way worse ! Please address this aspect. Personnally, I also have to get into my profile to come back to the previous site and find the forums.

• menicolaq

menicolaq FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold @menicolaq

#33715548 - 5 months ago

The New Community Site will be A Lot easier to Navigate. Video Quality will be 10x better, we are working with a company to upgrade the quality of all our old videos. Thanks for getting back to me and let know if you would like to be a part of our user testing.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33715552 - 5 months ago

In reply to menicolaq

It's nice to see staff members involved with this site, and the community at large. So, yes, I'm all in for user testing.

• menicolaq

#33715728 - 5 months ago

In reply to A-Tank Great. Thank you @REVELSROUSER we have user that wants to be apart of testing

• The-Batman-Who-Laughs

The-Batman-Who-Laughs

#33715767 - 5 months ago

• ValentineHeart

ValentineHeart

#33717208 - 5 months ago

In reply to menicolaq

The New Community Site will be A Lot easier to Navigate. Video Quality will be 10x better, we are working with a company to upgrade the quality of all our old videos. Thanks for getting back to me and let know if you would like to be a part of our user testing.

HEY!
    Speaking of reasons the RT site currently sucks, notice that it looks like I'm currently quoting you right now? Do you realize the lengths I have to go to in order to separate what I'm trying to type from the quote after clicking quote? 

I just hit enter twice and it went down and continued as if I'm still quoting you
    I hit control enter and it did the same thing
    I hit shift enter and it did the same thing

STILL STUCK IN QUOTE MODE
    HOW DO I ESCAPE? OH MY GOD!

HELP! I'm trapped!

I had to cut and copy the quote, then make a blank space, then paste the quote to the top of the post above the blank space, so that I could press down arrow to get out of the quote before it would let me do this.

Do you know if Binge Watching will be better? Like, no more Social Media Icons on the screen, no more exiting full screen between episodes, and the option to automatically skip intros and credits? Rooster Teeth has too many 5 minute episodes, it makes the credits and intros unbearable when binge watching Red vs Blue or Volume 1 of RWBY.

• menicolaq

#33717266 - 5 months ago

This Community Site will NOT be getting worked on. I have shown you what per my boss the design looks like. I think it's pretty cool but then again I use the platform and I am fine here too. I think I am just generally happy. On to Binge Watching I will need to get back to you cause honestly I am not sure who is working on that part, I just know its not me. I have copied and pasted your wording and will try and get back to you soon. Have a Fantastic Wednesday!! 

• fallen_leader123

fallen_leader123

#33717337 - 5 months ago

To be honest, the problems I have with the website itself are only limited to two things:

1) Changing my profile pic (which I spent most of my first posts addressing in the Introductions topic)

2) Uploading a picture of my OC to my post (which, in hindsight, I should've seen coming a few miles away)

And yeah, I'm holding out a hope that after the perceived decrease in quality that was RWBY Vol. 5, it'll get better now that Team RWBY and Team JNR are aware of Salem's presence, so now they'll probably have to constantly be on their guard and continue training; after all, what's the point of Ozpin merging with Oscar if he won't be guiding them? Besides, didn't Monty have a crapton of notes left behind after his unfortunate passing? IMO, it was probably a problem of how the ideas were conveyed, rather than the ideas themselves.

• menicolaq

#33717489 - 5 months ago

In reply to fallen_leader123      Are you having issues uploading your photo on community or on the new video platform?

• fallen_leader123

fallen_leader123

#33717490 - 5 months ago

In reply to menicolaq

Thankfully, the whole tech situation resolved itself so I could change my profile pic, but I haven't really done anything for the new video platform.

Also, thanks for the concern!

• menicolaq

#33717541 - 5 months ago

In reply to fallen_leader123 .  Good just deployed a change this morning - glad it helped