Ozpin's morality is very questionable but does morality matter when survival is at stake ?
I strongly believe that it doesn't, as Leonard Church from Rvb famously stated : "When face with extinction, every other alternative is preferable".
I don't question the actions Ozpin took. I question how he took them especially when it comes to other people being involved.
Here are two examples to prove my point :
- Ozpin and Pyrrha : Ozpin had to try something to solve the "Amber problem". They had to make Amber's power as much difficult to reach as possible for Cinder. So transfering it into someone in full condition to fight (to move at least) was worth a shot. Problem is, this aura/power transfer was (and still is so far as we know) not a well known and established process. We will never know if it would have worked because Cinder interrupted it. But could you face yourself in a mirror after taking no actions when you knew that theoretically there was a chance, even small, to win the fight ? I think that after all these years of reincarnation, Ozpin has reached to the conclusion that anything that may raise your survival chances has to be considered.
So Ozpin was right to try something in my opinion.
But I question how he exposed the whole situation to Pyrrha. Yes he was honest about the unknown consequences the aura transfer could have on her but the way he explained the whole thing to Pyrrha does not really leave her with a choice at the end even if he claims there is still one... which is true ! But there is choice and choice. It is like being "offered" a job opportunity that you theoritecally can refuse but at the same time, it is your only opportunity to go on in life. It is like Ozpin saying "Miss Nikos, I would understand if you refuse but if you do, it is a certain death for everyone".
Opzin makes you feel guilty of not choosing his path. And he knew Pyrrha would never refuse because it is Pyrrha ("I just believe I found the right candidate"). He knew her sense of duty would help things go his way.
- Ozpin and Oscar : I agree with what has been said in the previous messages. Ozpin does not really leave a choice for Oscar, wether it comes to leave the farm or against Hazel. But once again, I don't blame Ozpin for taking over against Hazel because Oscar had obviously much less chances to survive than Ozpin. I just don't appreciate how he is not honest enough with Oscar on that matter. Ozpin has to make it clear to Oscar that he will take over any time it is necessary (Ozpin has an overall better judgement of any situation).
About the farm leaving, Ozpin was clearly not diplomatic enough. Of course he is right about the fact that they need to leave but he is not patient enough and not willing to help Oscar first accomodate with this new host inside his head. He just speaks so as Oscar can only reach the conclusion that leaving is indeed the right choice and that he really made this choice himself.
Once again, Ozpin makes you feel guilty of not choosing his path.
Couple of other related thoughts :
- Ozpin and Summer : we don't have any information but I still put it here because I think it was a similar situation than with Pyrrha but with Silver-eyes this time. I think Ozpin put Summer in a situation where she could only die (against Salem probably) even if she was convinced of making the right choice. But I could be wrong, maybe Summer's death had nothing to do with Ozpin.
- Ozpin and the Branwen twins : we also lack informations here but it is an interesting example because right now and from the beginning of the show, Qrow has always been on Opzin's side whereas Raven hasn't.
Why did Raven stop spying for Ozpin ? I think it is linked to why she left team STRQ and Yang and Tai in particular. From the conversation she had with Yang and Weiss in V5/Chap6, we can tell she doesn't trust Ozpin and I want to know why. Did she left only because of fear ? Or did she realize that Ozpin was not honest enough and using them as pawns ? Or both ? She never gave real informations about Ozpin so as to justify her departure.
On the other side, Qrow. In V5/Chap7, he replied to Yang that "we made a choice" (he and Raven about being able to transform in birds). In V4/Chap8, he replied to Jaune than Pyrrha "was given a choice and she chose" (about receiving Amber's power). Qrow really seems to share Ozpin's view of things and I would like someone to really question him about how Ozpin really processed with Pyrrha or Raven and himself.
- Ozpin and Ironwood : James Ironwood is the only character that really confronted Ozpin. For now, Ozpin has always been able to convince him he was fair to anyone and that his actions were justified. But Ironwood is not the same now ; he is following his dictator arc (see how he controls Atlas now) and I very much wait to see how Ozpin will react when faced again with Ironwood because he will certainly not listen to him and probably weaken Ozpin's authority.
Oscar also tried to confront Ozpin but he is a child and his soul and Ozpin's are like minded. So it is easier for Ozpin to win any argument (and it will become easier as the merging process of souls progresses).